Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I think things will change once Charles becomes King. That doesn't necessarily mean I agree with all those "slimmed down monarchy" discussions but out of sheer practicalities something will have to change eventually.

The problem is in part that there is a whole generation (same age as the Queen's grandchildren) who are marrying and starting their own families which means soon they just won't all fit on the balcony.

I wonder if something like we saw at Harry's wedding will become the norm - Charles, his family, his siblings and their families and the HRH Gloucesters and Kents.

I notice we didn't see the Snowdons or Chattos this year, they are even more closely related to the Queen and Charles than mot of those we do see on the balcony.

Maybe, sticking with the two balcony appearances they could have everyone out to greet "King Charles" and the royal colonels back to BP then for the second appearance for the fly past just Charles and his siblings and their families. Though how the others would see the planes who knows.

My guess would be that there's the immediate royal family and then there's the extended family of the monarch.

Or it could go into the hundreds that are listed in the line of succession to the British throne. Depends on the list you look at. This one lists the first 100 people. :D

https://www.britroyals.com/succession.asp

Which really begs the question: where does the "Royal Family" end ?

I think the issue is The Queen doesn’t want to exclude her Cousin’s after all the work they have done on her behalf. This then extends to their families and children, I think for the younger ones it’s about the experience on the balcony. More than likely the balcony will change when Charles becomes King and we’ll see less of the extended family on the balcony.

I notice we didn't see the Snowdons or Chattos this year, they are even more closely related to the Queen and Charles than mot of those we do see on the balcony.

The Snowdons and Chattos don't usually attend anyways though. I think the last time either family did was 2011.

how the others would see the planes who knows.

Through the first floor windows of the Palace overlooking the Mall ? Other than the 'centre-room', there are many other 'semi-state' rooms along that Facade, I think ?

Lady Gabriella looked lovely in a blue coat and big white hat. I would love to see a closer picture of her.

It is rather clear how the queen approaches who belongs to the extended royal family: all descendants of her grandfather (probably with the exception of the decendants of princess Mary, the princess royal).

I expect that Charles will go down either one or two generation: so only the descendants of his grandfather (including Margaret's children and grandchildren) or even to just the descendants of his mother (while keeping her royal cousins who dedicated their lives to serving the monarch but no longer their families).

It is rather clear how the queen approaches who belongs to the extended royal family: all descendants of her grandfather (probably with the exception of the decendants of princess Mary, the princess royal).

I expect that Charles will go down either one or two generation: so only the descendants of his grandfather (including Margaret's children and grandchildren) or even to just the descendants of his mother (while keeping her royal cousins who dedicated their lives to serving the monarch but no longer their families).

Yes I expect a similar line up to what was seen at Harry and Meghan’s wedding, the dukes of Kent and Gloucester but not their descendants.

That or Charles may choose to do what his mother does- the descendents of his grandfather. So his siblings and their families, and the Chatto/Lindleys. We haven't seen Margaret's family the past few years, but we may see again.

I think as long as the Kents and Gloucesters continue to work for the family, even if under Charles, the couples will likely appear. But just them.

:previous: Wasn't that what the line up was at Harry and Meghan's wedding?

Looks like we all agree :flowers:

That or Charles may choose to do what his mother does- the descendents of his grandfather. So his siblings and their families, and the Chatto/Lindleys. We haven't seen Margaret's family the past few years, but we may see again.

I think as long as the Kents and Gloucesters continue to work for the family, even if under Charles, the couples will likely appear. But just them.

I’ve never gotten the impression that the Queen is doing a “descendants of George V” with the balcony - if she was, we would see the descendants of Princess Margaret and of Mary, Princess Royal and Countess Harewood at the Trooping as well.

What I think she more does is the living Royal Family and their children and grandchildren - hence why we see the Kent and Gloucester families, but not the Snowden or Harewood families.

I personally love the overcrowded balcony with the whole family, and hope that when Charles is King he continues to have the whole group of them for the Trooping - at least as long as his mother’s cousins are still alive.

All they need to do is split the 'extended' family in half and then invite them in alternating years. Bob's your uncle.

That’s probably not far off from how they do things now. I mean, we don’t see the same people there every year - in all likelihood they know exactly how many people can fit on the balcony, determine which of the Queen’s descendants are going to be in attendance, then go to each of the Queen’s cousins and say “okay, this many of your family can come.”

Margaret's children attended in the padt. Looks like they are all invited but some enjoy this yearly event more than others, so that's why we see the Taylors and Phillips's every year but Mike and Zara and Margaret's family only occassionaly.

Has there been any kind of update on Field Marshal Lord Guthrie's condition? Having something like that happen to a 79 year old man isn't good.

All they need to do is split the 'extended' family in half and then invite them in alternating years. Bob's your uncle.

That would be good, but the whole family enjoy these extended get togethers because they see very little of each other. Everyone are usually busy traveling, working and on official business.

I prefer the whole family getting together for the Trooping but not the entire clan bombarding the balcony. I guess the family like using that large balcony on this occasion. If they were using the original large balcony, that’s now in the forecourt of Buckingham Palace, space wouldn’t be so tight.

It would have been nice if they incorporated the buffet lunch with Philip's birthday; as even though Trooping is meant to celebrate HM's birthday, it would be like an automatic party for Philip too. However I can imagine that Philip would much rather spend his birthday quietly with HM tucked up on the sofa. I doubt he's the sort who likes big, noisy family parties.

I'm glad that Lord Guthrie is recovering. It must have been rather scary especially at his age.

I don't think the balcony appearance follows strict precedence, except the Queen, the Cambridges and the Prince of Wales being front and center (not quite the case for the PoW this year though).

Prince Charles looks front and center to me.

https://www.glamour.com/story/5-of-the-very-best-royal-moments-from-trooping-the-color-2018

Personally, I think it is too many people to be on the balcony at the same time. There is no need for the entire extended family to come out with the "Mountbatten-Windsors". Yes, technically, from the patrilineal point of view, they are at least two different families, if not several different families if you count the Phillips, or the Mowatts, or the Gilmans, etc. as separate families from both the Windsors (male-line descendants of George V) and the Mountbatten-Windsors (male-line descendants of Prince Philip).

I disagree and obviously so does the Queen. And the Phillips, Mowatt children and Gilmans are not separate families. There are individual smaller immediate family groups but they are all part of the greater Windsor family. I'm always happy to see the extended family.

In talking about the size of the family on the balcony, I can not help but imagine what the family would look like if Edward had remained King and John had been healthy. There could be the descendants of 5 brothers on the balcony rather than 3.

It is always interesting to speculate on how things would be different if the abdication had not happened. Is there a thread for that?

Under that scenario (daughters of the monarch and families are not included) then I wouldn't expect to see the Phillips family, but they are always there.

The Duke has prepared for #TroopingTheColour by riding both at Windsor Castle and during two parades in London. Before this, the last time HRH rode was in Argentina in 1992!

Hmmm… Putting this in context, I suspect that last time Andrew was on a horse was while visiting his mother-in-law who was married to an Argentinian polo player. :whistling:

Glad to hear that Lord Guthrie is recovering. Now I appreciate that the Duke of Kent gave up riding in the parade after suffering his stroke.

Under that scenario (daughters of the monarch and families are not included) then I wouldn't expect to see the Phillips family, but they are always there.

Uh under what scenario :ermm:

I said the descendents of his grandfather. I didn't say male line descendants. I am as much a descendant of my grandfather as my male cousins are.

Princess Mary is the only one who that hasn't applied to. Margaret and her children. Alexandra and her children. Anne and her children. The female descendants have always had a place on the balcony. I see nothing about my post which would suggest that it would be limited to male line.

“Revealed: How Harry reassured 'nervous' Meghan at her first Trooping the Colour ceremony (before reminding her to 'look up to the sky' during the flypast)”

Prince Harry asked Meghan Markle if she was OK at Trooping the Colour | Daily Mail Online

A lip reader was employed to get the lowdown between Meghan and Harry.

I don’t know why the media have to make it seem like Meghan was nervous. Harry was just explaining the parading to her. She was busy enjoying the Trooping, the flyover and the view from the balcony.

Prince Charles looks front and center to me.

https://www.glamour.com/story/5-of-the-very-best-royal-moments-from-trooping-the-color-2018

I disagree and obviously so does the Queen. And the Phillips, Mowatt children and Gilmans are not separate families. There are individual smaller immediate family groups but they are all part of the greater Windsor family. I'm always happy to see the extended family.

Sorry, but if they have different family names (aka surnames), then they belong to different families, which goes back to my question about where a given family ends.

Just to add food for thought, the Mowatt girls and Prince William have the same degree of kinship, I think, as Queen Elizabeth II and, for example, Queen Margrethe Ii, King Carl XVI Gustaf or King Juan Carlos . So, if William and the Mowatt girls belong to the same family, so do all of the above and Queen Elizabeth II. Of course, that would be an absurd conclusion.

Last edited:
In talking about the size of the family on the balcony, I can not help but imagine what the family would look like if Edward had remained King and John had been healthy. There could be the descendants of 5 brothers on the balcony rather than 3.

It is always interesting to speculate on how things would be different if the abdication had not happened. Is there a thread for that?

Edward VIII, if he still married Wallis Simpson, would never have children, so nothing would change in practice in the long run. If Edward and Wallis had had children, they would have been excluded from the Succession by the abdication act , but I could imagine some neo-Jacobite or “Edwardite” movement arising among a minority who would claim that Edward’s issue should inherit the Crown over Elizabeth and her issue.

Sorry, but if they have different family names (aka surnames), then they belong to different families, which goes back to my question about where a given family ends.

Just to add food for thought, the Mowatt girls and Prince William have the same degree of kinship, I think, as Queen Elizabeth II and, for example, Queen Margrethe Ii, King Carl XVI Gustaf or King Juan Carlos . So, if William and the Mowatt girls belong to the same family, so do all of the above and Queen Elizabeth II. Of course, that would be an absurd conclusion.

Degree of kinship and family names are two very different ways to define a family. For example Maud Windsor and Lord Culloden share the same degree of kinship (they are third cousins) with William and Zenouska Mowatt but do share the same surname as male line descendants of king George V.

So yes, according to the patriarchical system Xan and Maud belong to the same family but Zenouska and William don't (unless passing on the moyher's surname would keep you in that family) while Zenouska and Maud are far closer related as they are cousins once removed.

I don't think the queen mother would have been willing to say that her grandchildren by Margaret were not part of her family while her grandchildren by Elizabeth were...

All in all, it depends a lot on the perspective. For royal purposes it was much clearer in the past: a bride would go over to her husband's family but now the succession is gender neutral (or even when it was male preference, so women were not excluded) that would be much harder to argue.

Edward VIII, if he still married Wallis Simpson, would never have children, so nothing would change in practice in the long run. If Edward and Wallis had had children, they would have been excluded from the Succession by the abdication act , but I could imagine some neo-Jacobite or “Edwardite” movement arising among a minority who would claim that Edward’s issue should inherit the Crown over Elizabeth and her issue.

In my scenario John is healthy and grows to have children. Edward becomes King and has children. He never meets Wallis. It is a simple scenario. Each of the five brothers has two to three children and a wife. Imagine the number to fit on the balcony.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom