Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very odd. The Queen's Grandchildren should be there. Zara wasn't, but otherwise they were all there.

Why?

They have more grandparents than just the Queen and decided this year to spend their day with Sophie's father on his birthday.

The Queen's actual birthday was in April and I am sure they saw her then and so when she put the official birthday on Sophie's father's birthday they said 'this year we are spending that day with our grandfather'. The Queen would have known that the dates clashed when she set the date and so no doubt had no issue with Sophie and her children spending the day with their maternal grandfather rather than with their father's family.

This is no different to William deciding to spend Christmas with Kate's family some years rather than with his family.

The Queen would have known that the dates clashed when she set the date and so no doubt had no issue with Sophie and her children spending the day with their maternal grandfather rather than with their father's family.
:previous: Good points!

This is the Wessex children's remaining maternal grandparent and they should have the opportunity to see him on his birthday IMO. The family has attended many Trooping the Color ceremonies in the past and will likely be at next year's event.

The Trooping is in June? Already all this fuss for something which is three months away?

The Trooping is in June? Already all this fuss for something which is three months away?

Yeah, it’s a big ceremonial year and it takes a lot of time to get themselves prepared.

Did anyone apply for tickets to this years Trooping the Colour via the new online system?

Not long now until Trooping!

I expect Jack Brooksbank will attend Trooping for the first time this year. Do you know whether he will be riding in a carriage alongside Eugenie?

Are royal fiances/fiancees usually involved in Trooping? I know Diana attended Ascot, but can't remember Trooping.

Are royal fiances/fiancees usually involved in Trooping? I know Diana attended Ascot, but can't remember Trooping.

Diana attended Trooping in 1981, and since it was in June she was still a fiance, as the wedding was in July.

I don't expect to see Jack until next year but who knows - maybe he will be in the carriage with Beatrice and Eugenie.

I suspect the carriages will be:

1. The Queen and Philip (and maybe the Duke of Kent - as a Colonel of a Household Regiment)
2. Camilla, Kate, Harry and Meghan (or maybe no Harry and Meghan but George instead)
3. EITHER - Harry and Meghan with Beatrice and Eugenie if George isn't in a carriage OR Beatrice and Eugenie with Sophie and maybe Jack

I don't expect to see Jack until next year but who knows - maybe he will be in the carriage with Beatrice and Eugenie.

1. The Queen and Philip (and maybe the Duke of Kent - as a Colonel of a Household Regiment)
2. Camilla, Kate, Harry and Meghan (or maybe no Harry and Meghan but George instead)
3. EITHER - Harry and Meghan with Beatrice and Eugenie if George isn't in a carriage OR Beatrice and Eugenie with Sophie and maybe Jack

What about the fourth one, or are you just leaving that as a given for the Wessex family?

Last edited:

Wouldn't P.Andrew be in the same carriage or a prior carriage to his daughters?

Wouldn't P.Andrew be in the same carriage or a prior carriage to his daughters?

Prince Andrew won't be in a carriage this year. His appointment to the Grenadier Guards means he's riding a horse.

Lets hope the current good spell of weather lasts into the weekend for the Parade and fly past!

What about William and Kate? Both are expected to be there...William will be riding so I'd assume Kate will be in a carriage with Camilla etc. What about George and Charlotte..?

LaRae

Louise was 7 (the same year that she was a flower girl) and James 8 when they first rode in the carriage, so that might be an indication for the Cambridge siblings as well.

Prince Philip will not be in a carriage as he no longer has a role in the actual Trooping event. I don't imagine he will leave Buckingham Palace and go down to FO to watch it.

I expect Duke of Kent would accompany the Queen in her carriage as he is still Colonel of the Scots Guards.

Camilla Catherine and maybe George

if that happens then Sussexes and York sisters

Wessexes and children

Gloucesters and Kents.

I'd be surprised to see George in the carriage ride, maybe in a few more years. He's not quite 5 years old. Balcony, yes

Why is it a week earlier than usual this year? It's usually the Saturday before Ascot week.

Prince Philip will not be in a carriage as he no longer has a role in the actual Trooping event. I don't imagine he will leave Buckingham Palace and go down to FO to watch it.

I expect Duke of Kent would accompany the Queen in her carriage as he is still Colonel of the Scots Guards.

Wessexes and children

Gloucesters and Kents.

Aren't there only four carriages, so no Gloucesters and Kents. The only time I've seen them ride in a carriage was when the Wessesxes weren't there.

I'm also really interested about the politics of the balcony. I wonder how they will deal with where the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be, given that Harry usually relegates himself to the back. All I know, the balcony is getting very crowded, no wonder the Armstrong-Jones'/Chattos and Mountbattens don't attend anymore.

Last edited:
Aren't there only four carriages, so no Gloucesters and Kents. The only time I've seen them ride in a carriage was when the Wessesxes weren't there.

I'm also really interested about the politics of the balcony. I wonder how they will deal with where the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be, given that Harry usually relegates himself to the back. All I know, the balcony is getting very crowded, no wonder the Armstrong-Jones'/Chattos and Mountbattens don't attend anymore.

The only way to solve it all is to have all the front players lined up in the front and everyone else off to the sides.

Wessexes and children

Gloucesters and Kents.
Why can't he be in the carriage; isn't that exactly for those who don't have a role such as most ladies in the family? Those 'with a role' are typically on horse back unless they are to old and frail to do so.

I guess they will manage as long as the queen is reigning; when Charles takes over I expect it to be limited to at maximum the descendants of his grandfather king George V (probably with the exception of the 'full time working cousins of the queen but no longer their children and grandchildren); so his siblings and children/grandchildren and probably his first cousins and their children (children and grandchildren of Margaret).

Why can't he be in the carriage; isn't that exactly for those who don't have a role such as most ladies in the family? Those 'with a role' are typically on horse back unless they are to old and frail to do so.

The Queens carriage which DoE used to travel in goes to inspect the troops - part of the procession of Colonels of the Regiments incl PoW, William, DoY (this year) etc.

It is separate from the carriages which have "observers" (Camilla, Catherine etc)

Back
Top Bottom