Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please may I help with a little information here?

Trooping the Colour [Never Trooping OF The Colour] commences formally at 11.00am tomorrow, Saturday June 11 2011. In practice, the build up to the ceremony starts around 10.15 or so, as the Guardsmen bearing the marker flags arrive and then the bandsmen. [The so-called 'March On'.]

10 minutes or so before the arrival of the Queen and the DofE in Queen Victoria's Phaeton, a carriage containing (usually) Camilla, but perhaps this time Catherine, arrives! Other members of the BRF arrive by car and usually watch from windows of the buildings that are, in effect, the HQ of the British Armed Forces. The 4 Royal Colonels [ Prince of Wales, Duke of Kent, The Princess Royal and the new Duke of Cornwall then arrive (mounted) in the Royal Procession. i.e. ahead of the Queen's Phaeton.

The Colour being 'trooped' tomorrow is that of The Scots Guards.

I would expect that Catherine, Sophie, Prince Edward, possible the DofY and Beatrice and Eugenie will all be watching from the windows, if previous years are anything to go by.

The Colour being 'trooped' tomorrow is that of The Scots Guards.

Coverage is usually on BBC1, starting with the March On.

The Televised part of the Ceremony ends about 12.15, and concludes with the Queen's procession going back to BP down the Mall. Although the tv cameras have stopped rolling at that point, the BRF then appear on the balcony for the all-important fly-past. There is usually a good gathering of all Royals and usually some of the younger children [e.g. those of Edward and Sophie] are present on the balcony.

The BBC then run a hightlights programme in the evening, and this programme ALWAYS included the fly-past 'balcony scenes' [usually on BBC2]

Here is Diarist's 'secret tip'. It is a very well known 'open secret' that Princess Michael of Kent, never a shrinking violet always does her VERY best to position herself directly behind the Queen on the balcony, as she cannily knows that the cameras will pick her up best there [which would not be the case so much if she took what many feel to be her more 'proper' place - i.e. towards the 'end of the line'.] Watch and see if I am right! [When I worked full time, people in my office actually used to place money (bets) that 'Princess Pushy' [as she is universally still known to many people, unkind or not] would be taking her place behind the Queen.

I am lucky enough to be going tomorrow. I have to be seated by 10.00 and since I have to pass through security [I am in Stand J, just in front of No. 10 Downing Street] I am planning to be there shortly after 9.00am as there is a long queue for the screening [bag checks, metal frame to walk through etc, sniffer dogs].

Afterwards, I have the honour to be attending a Reception held by the Guards [not at BP though!!]

I hope this helps

Diarist

Last edited:
Dear Diarist,

Congratulations on attending the Trooping the Colour tomorrow. I hope you have a good seat and a great view of it all.
Please give us a report and let us all know any little hints for attending. I plan on going next year (Jubilee Year) and would be interested in your views..
Thanks,
Larry

Am I the only one hoping Lady Louise will make an appearance on the Balcony at Buckingham Palace? Perhaps since the wedding Sophie and Edward will have let up on their over-protection of Louise, as she was seen at the Windsor Show quite openly.

Either way, I cannot wait to see what all the ladies are wearing! Highlight of the day really, haha.

Will they show all the members of extended royal family present at the ceremony or just main ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will they show all the members of extended royal family present at the ceremony or just main ones?

They normally show camera shots of various members of the Royal family at the windows of the surrounding buildings, however it's normally only members like Prince Harry, Prince Andrew etc. (The "well known" members.) I could be wrong, however, and this year they may show others. The majority, if not all, of the extended family, however, do make an appearance on the balcony.

If I have the time difference right, things should getting close to starting across the Pond in London. I wish we in Canada could somehow watch it live.

BTW...I have this funny feeling that Princess Pushy won't be anywhere near HM this year on the Balcony, but instead, as close to Catherine as she can get. It stands to reason after all most pictures seen the next day will be of the Newest Member of TRF, so...*shrugs*

That's just me of course, but it wouldn't shock me either to see that ends up being the case.

Morning everyone :)!
so here are some updates from twitter:

Duchess of cambridge expected to travel by carriage with prince harry & Duchess of Cornwall.
Early arrivals at BP included the Linleys who arrived squashed into their tiny blue Fiat. Charles, Camilla, Will & Kate & Harry now here
Looked like duchess o fcambridge is wearing a cream outfit

Links for BBC 1 - Trooping the Colour - tvpc.com - BBC 1
or
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/watchlive/

Catherine is wearing a black hat with a white jacket. Camila also in cream and white
Louise in pink! yeayy!!!!

from Robert Jobson twitter
Duchess of Cambridge watches her husband Prince William from the balcony over looking the parade ground. Light Blue plume of his regiment
and from @BBCPeterHunt
Catherine watching proceedings from window overlooking parade in an office where Duke of Wellington's desk kept.

More pictures: Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Look: Laura Lopes watching the annual Trooping the Colour with little Eliza
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/115873778/Getty-Images-News

Duchess of Cambridge looks lovely. Adore her headwear. I have a feeling they're going to hone in on Catherine today.
Lady Louise is in the carriage with the Earl and Countess of Wessex and who appears to be Princess Eugenie.
Lady Louise looked adorable. I cannot wait to see those images now. :D I am so glad she made an appearance.

Yes, there is Lady Louise!! I regret not going down to London today, I am only an hour away!

How hard it must be to play music and control a horse.
The Queen has an umbrella.

Great ceremony, as every year!

Kate looked pretty in the carriage, Camilla very regal and a lovely outfit for HM. Especially William does a good job, IMO.
I hope we get to see many family members on the balcony this year.

The Duchess of Cornwall (left) and the Duchess of Cambridge leave Buckingham Palace, London, by horse drawn carriage to attend Trooping the Colour, the Queen's annual birthday parade.

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010030011I1307787389907476
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

And here is the first picture of Prince William from today

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0300010030011S1307787272906212

The Queen looks good in blue today

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0500010100011S1307787510909887

Last edited:
I've never really taken much notice of 'Trooping the Colour' before, but so far it has been nice to watch. The Queen looks lovely in her light blue dress and hat and it looks like William is doing well riding in his first 'Trooping the Colour' parade.

Here is a gallery which will be updated throughout the day
daylife.com no watermarks on the pictures

I think I just saw the Earl of St. Andrews at the same window where Camilla and Catherine were chatting :)

I'm in Germany at the moment and again they stop the coverage before the flypast and balcony appearance of the family. :censored:
I wonder if some members of the Mountbatten/Brabourne/Hicks family will be there this year because of Philip's birthday.

Weather variable. Saw Kate and Camilla through the window - both in white.

I enjoyed this particular occasion because of the Scots Guards....

Tomorrow there will be a special service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor, for Philip's birthday.

Last edited:
I'm in Germany at the moment and again they stop the coverage before the flypast and balcony appearance of the family. :censored:
I wonder if some members of the Mountbatten/Brabourne/Hicks family will be there this year because of Philip's birthday.
I don't understand as well,I've watched BBC One and they didn't cover the family appeareance on the balcony

Anyone who doubts the power of the British monarchy should see the tens of thousands of people streaming down the Mall to the Palace just now. It really is an amazing sight.

So happy to get a glimpse of Eliza and her brothers at last ! Enjoy seeing Lady Louise again !

This was my first time watching an entire Trooping ceremony and I enjoyed it. The music was fantastic. I wish the BBC feed hadn't cut out so soon because I was looking forward to seeing the royal family appear on the balcony. Hopefully we'll get some videos of that soon.

Last edited:
Princess Michael apparently stand right next to Catherine :)......

Ha! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Now the annual discussion can start again. Btw, three years ago she stood next to William and not behind the Queen. :p

I love the picture of Princess Anne from this Mirror article. Does anyone know what uniform she is wearing and is there a full photo of her on horseback anywhere? (at least I assume she was on horseback, it was announced that she would be.)

Back
Top Bottom