Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha!

Well, that's a cold, pompous statement! Disgusting....

So, William and Kate's child is not so inportant, eh???
It's the most important child coming into the Royal Family, whether you like it or not; and probably the one that Philip would like to live to see, whether you like it or not....

Larry

Generally elderly persons do no go from strong and healthy to being dead within matter or weeks but the discussion lately has Prince Philip with one foot in the grave. The end of life process can easily take 5-10 years even for someone at Prince Philip's age. Let's hope he will be around yet for a long time albeit at a slower pace although for many persons having to slow down is the equivalent of being dead. I work around elderly every day and it is not unusual for someone to go at full speed until the last breath but that is just the way they want to live and die. And probably preferrable to a long and slow decline.

Sorry that came out wrong - what I meant was that as he already has seen two great-grandchildren it isn't as important in the sense of missing seeing any great-grandchild. When Autumn was expecting Savannah that was really important - to see the start of the next generation - that is what I meant.

Of course all great-grandchildren would be important to him but none more than any others - so a great-grandchild coming from William wouldn't be more important to Philip than the two great-grandchildren he has from Peter (just as William is no more important a grandchild to him than Peter is, with Peter having the added specialty of being the first grandchild).

Generally elderly persons do no go from strong and healthy to being dead within matter or weeks but the discussion lately has Prince Philip with one foot in the grave. The end of life process can easily take 5-10 years even for someone at Prince Philip's age. Let's hope he will be around yet for a long time albeit at a slower pace although for many persons having to slow down is the equivalent of being dead. I work around elderly every day and it is not unusual for someone to go at full speed until the last breath but that is just the way they want to live and die. And probably preferrable to a long and slow decline.

My experience of people in the 70s is as you describe it - slow decline, in their 80s somewhat faster once it starts but in the 90s much much faster so someone who is really strong in January can easily be dead by March after one short illness and Philip has now had two within 6 months and looks absolutely awful.

I currently have three friends in their 90s who were all hale and hearty at Easter time and we aren't expecting any of them to survive this winter with only one illness each this year - one aged 90, one 94 and one 98. All have been very healthy and active throughout their lives but to watch their deterioration over the last three months has been heartbreaking.

What a ridiculous comment!
I really am not insulted, and have every right to think what I do, based on what I see. I do have collection of pics from a book I bought in the car boot sale of trooping of the Color in the 80's, and year after year you can see pss M right besides the queen, closer Than Anne, Andrew, pss Alexandra (a fav cousin of the queen if there ever was one) the late duchess of Gloust. As a teenager I would ak my mum, who is she? That's my impression of her, u can't change it. She does have a lot of attributes, timeless elegance and class being one of them, but she does revel in her HRH, (people have testified) and she does have a tendency to put her foot in her mouth, unlike other minor royals, who do their duty and stay diplomatically silent.

Balmoral sounds a long way off; I really hope he doesn't meet all these engagements and that workload does get lessened. That seems arduous enough for a person in good condition, let alone a 91-year-old man in frail health just discharged from the hospital.

I think it would be a great idea if Philip were to take a break, and choose a few engagements that he felt were a 'must' and have one of the children or grandchildren stand in for him (if possible of course, since everyone's diaries have been planned for a while). The nan needs to take a breather, because ending up in a hospital, or worse would not be welcomed by anyone.

Hi,

I'm not one to having premonitions but at the end of the Regatta, when the rain was pouring down and both The Queen and Prince Philip were still standing there in the damp and cold - I thought that they both would fall ill.....
They should have been inside a glass enclosed, heated area...
Damp & cold and old age don't often go well together. They both looked cold.
And, an English friend of mine texted to me that he saw and heard Sophie Wessex diembarking from her craft and exclaiming, "I'm frozen to the bone!"....

I was not surprised to hear that Prince Philip had a bladder infection, but was surprised that The Queen did not!!!

I guess Philip needs to appear at the Garter ceremony; but since he's not a fan of racing, perhaps he won't attend Royal Ascot....

They both need to rest at Balmoral, although that place never appealed to me as being "warm"......

One last thought:
I hope to heaven that the Prince does not die in this Jubilee year, as the Golden Jubilee was perhaps spioled by The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret dying just before it.
And, I would like Prince Philip to live long enough to see his great grandchild - Will & Kate's baby!!!!!!!!

Larry

Skipping Ascot may actually be a good solution, especially if racing is not something he's passionate about (or at least not attend every single day of the race). I cannot see him skipping out on Garter Day though.

While watching the Pageant, I also wondered how Her Majesty and His Highness were able to stand the rain and the wind (it wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't on the water on top of that). I think a top coat (I'm sure one comes with his uniform) would have been a good addition (and yes, I understand the fact that his medals and Orders would not have been visible, but it may have saved him a trip to the hospital), or a glass enclosure on the barge could have been of great help. Like you, I remember Countess of Wessex remarking on being very, very cold during the entire event. I'm glad that they traveled in a closed coach for Trooping the Colour. It's better to be safe than sorry.

It's only been relatively recently that Philip has seemed a bit frail to me. (I really hate to put "Philip" and "frail" in the same sentence. It doesn't seem right.) But, even so, it didn't seem visibly obvious-to me anyway- that he was struggling to get through an event. Today, he looked like he was having a hard time. His color seemed a good deal worse, his eyes seemed-I don't know- more sunken in, his profile in the carriage was a bit "harrowing", to quote another poster. He looked quite unwell.

I hope he does bounce back. He's a determined man, for sure. I think it is important for people to remain active....to the extent they are able and not over-do it. I suspect that's a tough balance, especially for someone like Philip. I can't imagine sitting at home and watching TV all day every day would be good for him mentally, but he doesn't look up to the kind of schedule he and the Queen usually keep either.

I was just taken aback by his appearance today and was saddened by it. Hopefully, it was an over-reaction on my part.
You may have a point. tbh I didn't really sit there and look at his colour I'm merely judging by photos so it may come off differently then in video or even real life. Also if I'm being honest I only really took a quick glance at the photos from last year's Trooping.

When you have more experience around older people - especially men at a certain stage of their aging - you start to recognize the signs. Philip has the signs.

He may certainly bounce back - but he is a very old man.
I do my grandfather is an older man. Ever since he stopped working though he's changed alot before he was much more youthful tbh. That's why to an extent I think working may help Philip more then hurt him. It's funny how the body can work sometimes

I'm the same way. Philip looked quite youthful to me, (relatively), until fairly recently but I've found over the last year, year and a half he's really started to show his age. I don't see a drastic change in appearance since he left hospital, though.
IMO, Philip will slow down if/when he becomes physically unable to leave his bed! Otherwise it will be business as usual to the end. I can't imagine he'd want it any other way - I mean, he's 91! Realistically he doesn't have much time left no matter what he does and I bet if he was asked whether he'd rather go at 91 after an active day of fishing or carriage driving or official duties vs. go at 93 or 94 after two or three years of enforced inactivity he'd pick the first option.

I so agree no matter whether we agree or disagree about Philip's present state of health realistically he is old! So this isn't exactly the biggest shock in the world to see him "changing" I think for me tbh even though I haven't been a loyal follower of the BRF as long as as others here I feel so connected with each member to even begin thinking that we may soon lose one and in the future we may lose another one. One who has been one of the greatest members the BRF has ever had is quite difficult to swallow. I hope that made sense it's almost 2am here so not quite sure if it made much sense.

Also, was the part where the Queen and Phillip stopped outside the Palace and took another salute new this year? I can't remember it from previous years.

No, this bit happens every year. The reason we don't see it is that the BBC stop their live broadcast on BBC1 just as the Queen is heading down the Mall back to BP. They then broadcast the flypast and balcony appearance on the BBC News channel separately.

This year, Huw Edwards mentioned in his commentary that the BBC were extending their live coverage to include the extra elements as it's Jubilee year. Also possibly in light of recent criticism of the BBC's coverage of royal events.

Re Prince Philip - I'm more than a tad uncomfortable with predicting when someone's likely to die, particularly where the general assumption seems to be that it's 'soon'. Let's not book the funeral directors just yet.

It's also a big leap to say that when Philip goes the Queen won't be far behind. I made the same assumption when my granny died, as she and my granda were a typical old-fashioned couple - granny did all the cooking, baking, she knitted socks for him; whereas granda looked after the garden, did any DIY etc. Given how much he relied on her, I thought my granda wouldn't be with us for long after her death. Flash forward 8 years and he's still with us and almost 92. Admittedly his physical health is deteriorating and he's pretty much housebound, but he's still here.

I'm going to make a prediction that we'll see both Prince Philip and the Queen at Trooping the Colour 2013.

Do you feel the same way about Princess Anne?

That's a very good point HRH Hermione. I personally don't have a problem with any member of the Royal Family wearing a uniform in an honorary capacity, especially on occasions such as this, but Princess Anne seems to be forgotten in discussion of this practice. I also cannot understand why Prince Andrew doesn't wear his naval uniform - I can clearly recall Prince William wearing his RAF one a few years ago, so the service on display argument may not be that strong.

I'm glad you brought that up, everyone complains about Edward not serving but neither did Anne and nobody seems to be bothered by her. Her work ethic seems to outshine any problems we have with The Princess Royal. :flowers:

No, this bit happens every year. The reason we don't see it is that the BBC stop their live broadcast on BBC1 just as the Queen is heading down the Mall back to BP. They then broadcast the flypast and balcony appearance on the BBC News channel separately.

I'm going to make a prediction that we'll see both Prince Philip and the Queen at Trooping the Colour 2013.

Oh OK, I never get to see the BBC coverage, just what makes an appearance on YouTube/the evening news here in Australia and I've never seen it mentioned before.

I also think Philip will be back in 2013 and hopefully for a bit longer yet. I can't imagine what it will be like without him, but I feel this thread is starting to move into potential clean-up territory for the moderators.

Every royal family has men who wear military uniform despite never having rendered much meaningful service to their respective armed forces, or never having served at all. Prince Edward is by no means the only person to have found the training for the Royal Marines beyond him.

Let's move on from predictions of Phillip's health and what can happen in the future.

As of today, he is here among the living and we should focus on that.

In a way I do, though she works so hard and has devoted so much of her life to her duties that I don't resent it as much. :flowers:

But in Edward's case, I keep thinking poseur!

After watching clips, did anyone notice that Edward and Anne appeared to be having some deep conversation behind the Queen? Amusing.

Lady Louise between her Granny and Grandpa :), she is cuteeee :flowers:
Balcony appearance
after 3:30, 3:52 I like how Queen get direction to place Lady Louise in the front :)

Thank you for the lovely videos, Mag :flowers:. I loved watching the family interact with each other (and in the shorter video, the person behind the camera really got the interactions between Catherine and Louise, not sure if that's what was intended, but to those of us who love watching that little girl, it was a big plus :D). Like you, I liked watching Her Majesty make sure that Louise was front and center, seeing what was happening.

Haven't seen a great deal of these pictures. Thank you :flowers:.

Last edited:
The caption on the photo says that Kate is sneezing. Those cameras sure are focused on her every movement and gesture.

Last edited:
Haven't seen a great deal of these pictures. Thank you :flowers:.

I like this one quite a bit

Trooping The Colour, Buckingham Palace, London | Newspix International

Something must have been rather amusing, because Catherine is really trying not to laugh, and Louise is observing her cousin with a bemused expression on her face, as if to say 'I'd love to be let in on the joke' :D.[/QUOTE]
Catherine was sneezing...

The caption on the photo says that Kate is sneezing. Those cameras sure are focused on her every movement and gesture.

Oy...sometimes my lack of vision really gets me into trouble. I think I'll go and edit my post to avoid looking like a complete moron :bang:. I do agree that the photographers seem to have no concept of shame or privacy. The woman can't even sneeze without it making front page somewhere :ermm:. And thank you for explaining what was going on in the photo. I really did think she was laughing.

I like the dress but she needs to rethink her hair. It doesn't look "professional" to be always brushing it away from her face.
That's what I meant to say. Sorry - it did look like I was being over-critical. Her hair tied back, and a smaller hat may have looked better. Gorgeous dress thou :flowers:

I have one question: while I'm glad Prince William wore the Order of the Thistle star for the Trooping the Colour ceremony, it was my impression no newly appointed member of the Order can wear it until after the installation ceremony - and William's hasn't happened yet.
Does anyone know how accurate the information is, and if it is correct, why was an exception made for Prince William?

I have one question: while I'm glad Prince William wore the Order of the Thistle star for the Trooping the Colour ceremony, it was my impression no newly appointed member of the Order can wear it until after the installation ceremony - and William's hasn't happened yet.
Does anyone know how accurate the information is, and if it is correct, why was an exception made for Prince William?

My guess is that once an award has been announced it's official. I've been noticing that Kenneth Branagh was being referred to as "Sir Kenneth" immediately after the Honors List announcement even tho the installation ceremony has not taken place.

Back
Top Bottom