Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alás, this was a wonderful outing for the entire clan - it was lovely to see the extended family all up there (although it is getting more jam-packed with each passing year and I reckon sooner than later some tough decisions will need to be made..) Was especially great to see Lady Louise in the carriage and the wee ones enjoying the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its less about importance than about whatever the individuals want. Andrew was in a more "prominent" position than Charles if we are going by position = importance.

Camilla was right next to Meghan in the back. Charles was behind Kate. It just seems they were all where they wanted to be and the kids were front and center.

Good thing IMO because the kids are ADORABLE! The little cousins look soo close which is so nice to see!

There is always a debate about that. My guess is there is some kind of precedence (senior royals up front) but, as the balcony is really not that large, at the end it's wherever you can find a decent spot.
Today the Queen was indeed surounded by all the senior royals, so mission accomplished.

The problem was that William and Kate had to stay in front to look after the children, and since they are both very tall, they were blocking the view from the people behind. At one point, when Charlotte fell and Kate had to carry her, Kate and Charlotte were directly in front of Charles, who disappeared momentarily from the frame. Charles, on the other hand, was in front of Meghan. I think I saw Meghan's hat and glimpses of her face once or twice, and that was it !

I didn't see Charles actually moving to the front despite the Queen's insistence.

Last edited:
Those kids beautifully stole the show. Charlotte tapping her hands to the National Anthem, Savannah Phillips directing the music and George waving and being silenced by Savannah was beyond hilarious.

It was great to see Harry and Meghan back and enjoying the parade. The Queen’s appearance alone without Prince Philip continues to let us know that he’s retired. Although I’m sure he watched the coverage.

I think it's a nice 'relaxer' when the kids get out there are start being kids. The Queen doesn't seem to mind it either.

LaRae

It is so fantastic to see Harry with his wife and looking so happy! No more a third wheel!!!!

I have said this before, but I guess I just didn't realize how "total" Philip's retirement would be. I kind of assumed he would still attend the big events like Trooping.

Perhaps he didn't this year because of his hip.

I think I saw Meghan's hat and glimpses of her face once or twice, and that was it !
I don't know from what source you were watching that, but BBC offered a clear view of her and Harry a lot.

More likely they will have George in the front carriage next year. He will then be about the same age William was when he started riding in the carriages and as the future King takes precedence over Harry.

This is a clear sign that Harry has been moved down to allow for his nephews and niece to eventually take their place ahead of him.

I believe William first rode in the carriage before he turned 5, which would be this year for George.

And I don’t think the move is to prepare space for George and Charlotte next year as much as it is to give Harry and Meghan front facing seats. They could always do that starting next year when George, or George and Charlotte, starts riding in the carriage. They saved no seats for Earl of Wessex or Jack for next year in that last carriage. The photos from the backfacing seats are always a little odd looking and have to be from a certain angle in order to cut out the men behind them.

And really, if we really want to talk about demotion, the bigger question is who will be cut next year as Edward wasn’t present this year and the last carriage fit both York Princess and Countess of Wessex and Lady Louise? I supposed Louise wouldn’t ride in carriage next year? What about Jack joining? Who is that going to kick off?

My mother and I both laughed out loud when Savannah covered George's mouth as he was either singing or talking during the national anthem.

Charles appears to have a new tunic as it looks very bright around the collar. His old one was looking its age.

Andrew could do with losing a few pounds, I actually felt sorry for his horse to be honest.

I don't know from what source you were watching that, but BBC offered a clear view of her and Harry a lot.

I've actually seen complaints on social media (not a lot) that the BBC focused TOO much on Meghan (and Harry). LOL. You can't win.

The Time livestream I watched was at an awful angle so pretty much everyone besides the Queen was hard to see.

Lady Louise looks like such a lady! My how she has grown up and seemingly overnight :ohmy:

Also, while my heart stopped for a second there when Princess Charlotte fell down, it showed how great bond Duchess of Cambridge has with her children. I find it heartwarming that her and Duke of Cambridge still manage to be great, hands-on parents for their kids.

I've actually seen complaints on social media (not a lot) that the BBC focused TOO much on Meghan (and Harry). LOL. You can't win.
They did focus on them quite a lot, tbh. On one hand I do understand that, because she's the newest addition to the family, but I can also understand how it could bother some people. BBC offered a better view of Duke and Duchess of Sussex than of Prince George.

Last edited by a moderator:

I mean on the balcony, see the YouTube clip I linked (the Time livestream).

The BBC link is not available here.

Last edited:
I watched the Time like because the BBC live link was not available to me. The camera angles were awful. Would not be watching that link again. Instead, I will wait until it is on Youtube.

I believe William first rode in the carriage before he turned 5, which would be this year for George.

And I don’t think the move is to prepare space for George and Charlotte next year as much as it is to give Harry and Meghan front facing seats. They could always do that starting next year when George, or George and Charlotte, starts riding in the carriage. They saved no seats for Earl of Wessex or Jack for next year in that last carriage. The photos from the backfacing seats are always a little odd looking and have to be from a certain angle in order to cut out the men behind them.

And really, if we really want to talk about demotion, the bigger question is who will be cut next year as Edward wasn’t present this year and the last carriage fit both York Princess and Countess of Wessex and Lady Louise? I supposed Louise wouldn’t ride in carriage next year? What about Jack joining? Who is that going to kick off?

If they want to fit all the members who have been in the carriages for years, they could do.
First Carriage - Dsses of Cambridge and Cornwall, George in between them, like what was done for William in 1987, and the Duke and Dss of Sussex.
Second Carriage - Princess Beatrice and Eugenie, Jack and the Duke of Kent
Third Carriage - Wessex Family

I think Harry and Meghan were with the Duke of Kent so he wouldn't be left alone, with Edward in China and the Duke of York now riding, they probably just wanted to spread the wealth because the usual carriage roster was already messed up a bit and the Countess of Wessex and Lady Louise by themselves might have looked weird. Just my two cents.

If they want to fit all the members who have been in the carriages for years, they could do.
First Carriage - Dsses of Cambridge and Cornwall, George in between them, like what was done for William in 1987, and the Duke and Dss of Sussex.
Second Carriage - Princess Beatrice and Eugenie, Jack and the Duke of Kent
Third Carriage - Wessex Family

I think Harry and Meghan were with the Duke of Kent so he wouldn't be left alone, with Edward in China and the Duke of York now riding, they probably just wanted to spread the wealth because the usual carriage roster was already messed up a bit and the Countess of Wessex and Lady Louise by themselves might have looked weird. Just my two cents.

Like I said, they likely wanted to give the Sussexes front facing seats than to save seat for George and eventually Charlotte. They simply don’t do that. And I agree next year is going to be changed all over again. So we shall see what happens.

I mean on the balcony, see the YouTube clip I linked (the Time livestream).

The BBC link is not available here.
Then it all depends on what source we used. Maybe BBC will upload the clip later on? I don't know what's their policy with things like that.

some tough decision will need to be made..

OR, to increase the length of the Balcony, as part of the extensive renovations at the Palace, they could extend the Balcony to encompass the twin Columns on either side of the Pediment...

OR, to increase the length of the Balcony, as part of the extensive renovations at the Palace, they could extend the Balcony to encompass the twin Columns on either side of the Pediment...
But can they alter the appearance of a building that old?

Was James the boy in the glasses ?

I watched the Time like because the BBC live link was not available to me. The camera angles were awful. Would not be watching that link again. Instead, I will wait until it is on Youtube.
Hmm, me too and the interference was annoying.

I had a small giggle to myself when I say HM leave the Palace in an Ascot Landau and I remembered all the wailing about Harry choosing one for his wedding because they were not the prettiest landaus. Then the technical experts came out to explain that the Ascot is higher and the best sprung Landau's they have. Which means a smoother ride for the passenger. No wonder HM skipped the grander versions. A very pragmatic lady is our Queen.

Ah Savannah, I cracked up when she silenced George. She did it with such practised ease it leaves me wondering if she has had previous training.

can they alter the appearance of a building that old?

Altho' its a Grade 1 listed building [the MOST important category], it would be possible[with the correct permissions] especially since the work would be unobtrusive, and is entirely in keeping with 'Classical Architectural' practice and precedent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom