Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was nice to see Lady Gabriella making a rare public appearance alongside her family. For once Mrs. Cameron looked lovely.
Little Louise up front between Grandpa and Kate - Loving every moment. I can't but help she is thinking " Eat your heart out, Princess Michael. " :D
Is there any particular reason for Princess Michael to eat her heart out? She stood behind Her Majesty for several years in a row and Her Majesty never indicated that she was uncomfortable with the situation. I believe that Princess Michael is fully aware of the protocol and placement of individuals on the balcony and will not create a cheap tragedy.

Last edited:
Why isn't the Duke of York wearing a uniform and riding in a carriage? I notice that the Earl of Wessex does have a uniform. Sorry, if this is an old question. I'm a newbie :)

Prince William's Golden Jubilee medal doesn't look so lonely anymore now that it's joined by the Diamond Jubilee version. Also nice to see the star of the Order of the Thistle joining the Garter Star on his tunic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why isn't the Duke of York wearing a uniform and riding in a carriage? I notice that the Earl of Wessex does have a uniform. Sorry, if this is an old question. I'm a newbie :)

The Duke has never worn a uniform to Trooping the Colour he rides in the carriage with his daughters most often. The Earl wears his uniform on occasions, I believe it's all a matter of personal choice for the event.

The Duke has never worn a uniform to Trooping the Colour he rides in the carriage with his daughters most often. The Earl wears his uniform on occasions, I believe it's all a matter of personal choice for the event.

Thank you, I did read on the official website that he was colonel to nine regiments. I guess he prefers to excort his daughters. I thought maybe he was slighted for some reason.

So Lady Gabriella Windsor attends the parade - good to see her again

So who else caught Harry's little penguin march moment as he was stepping out onto the balcony? He must have kept everyone amused today. :lol:

For good reason, I think. Watching Philip I think its very close and the family know it. I am not a sentimental person and I do not cry easily - certainly not for strangers - but I have to admit that there is a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye as I watched Philip doing his 'duty' - most certainly out of love for his wife and his family - and his country. An era is coming to a close.

When Louise squeaked between the Queen and Philip, my first thought was that she wanted to stand by her grandpa because she knew that she wouldn't get many opportunities to spend time with him again. :sad:

Of course, then I realized she was talking to Kate and there was a bit of relief.

Little Louise up front between Grandpa and Kate - Loving every moment. I can't but help she is thinking " Eat your heart out, Princess Michael. " :D

But did you see where Princess Michael was? She looked pretty chummy with Andrew on the left side of the balcony. They looked like they were having a pretty good conversation.

My take: the Duke of York served in the Navy and doesn't have any honorary appointments in the Army. So he'd have to wear his Navy uniform, and I don't believe he wanted to do that at an Army event. Contrast that with Philip, who served in the Navy in WWII but has an honorary appointment as colonel to the Grenadier Guards. That allows him to wear the Army uniform.

I was surprised that Edward, Sophie and Louise were not riding in a carriage this year. But I chalked it up to the weather and the Wessex family choosing not wanting to take a chance on Louise getting sick.

Thank you, I did read on the official website that he was colonel to nine regiments. I guess he prefers to excort his daughters. I thought maybe he was slighted for some reason.

D of York is not a colonel of any of the Guards Regiments which participate in the Trooping of the Colour, so he would not ride with the other royals who hold those positions (DoE/Grenadiers; Charles/Welsh Guards; William/Irish; Kent/Scottish; Anne/Blues and Royals).

The carriage procession appears to be hierarchical so when there are only 2 then the Yorks are in the scond carriage. Edward and Sophie went to the Trooping in road vehicles the "back" way. So I don't think he'd feel slighted

But did you see where Princess Michael was? She looked pretty chummy with Andrew on the left side of the balcony. They looked like they were having a pretty good conversation.

I noticed that! I also noticed Andrew and Sophie talking, not something I have ever seen before. I always got the impression Andrew wasn't Sophie's biggest fan, but when I saw them chatting it was nice. They were perhaps just being polite, but it was lovely.

- - The Duchess of Cornwall and the Duchess of Cambridge
- The Duchess of Cornwall and the Duchess of Cambridge

One thing which crossed my mind - the DoCornwall and the DoCambridge always seem to smile and laugh when they are with each other. This is really lovely to see that they seem to have a nice relationship. I don't think you could fake it like that, if you are not going on well with each other....but of course, only to judge from pictures.

I could be completely wrong, but when they're together at big royal events like this, I get the feeling that they can't quite believe they're there. I know Camilla's been there several years now; but I think she still finds it all just really fun and quite exciting to be in the middle of all the pomp and ceremony. I'm sure Kate is still at the stage where she has to pinch herself that she's in a horse-drawn carriage heading down the Mall with thousands of people cheering and waving.

My point is, I get the feeling from Camilla and Kate that all this hasn't become ordinary or routine for them yet because they haven't been attending these sorts of events their whole lives.

Kate's certainly been ratcheting up the balcony appearances this year; if I'm correct, she had two at BP for the Jubilee and Trooping the Color and the balcony appearance at Nottingham earlier this week. Not bad!

I could be completely wrong, but when they're together at big royal events like this, I get the feeling that they can't quite believe they're there. I know Camilla's been there several years now; but I think she still finds it all just really fun and quite exciting to be in the middle of all the pomp and ceremony. I'm sure Kate is still at the stage where she has to pinch herself that she's in a horse-drawn carriage heading down the Mall with thousands of people cheering and waving.

My point is, I get the feeling from Camilla and Kate that all this hasn't become ordinary or routine for them yet because they haven't been attending these sorts of events their whole lives.

That makes sense.

They do seem to genuinely like each other though. I know we're only seeing their "public faces", but I do think it's difficult to fake certain emotions.

Last edited:
I noticed that! I also noticed Andrew and Sophie talking, not something I have ever seen before. I always got the impression Andrew wasn't Sophie's biggest fan, but when I saw them chatting it was nice. They were perhaps just being polite, but it was lovely.

This and Thena's comment really emphasised to me how little we know about the real interplay between the RF. The balcony isn't the place which will tell us but its pretty much all we've got. They talk to whoever they end up beside but they do all chat away with each other. So it seems to me that they all get on - they all talk to each other (Anne and Edward another good example today). They may not be close, and I don't think the demands of their public life allow for that, but I think there is a lot of caring and respect.

they also talked during epsom eg :)

That's us what I've always thought! I remember in the Diana days when pss Michael would always end up being just next to HM, pushing more senior royals to the side. I think on these occasions she received her title princess pushy. now with the core royal family being much bigger she can't do it anymore, but she sure does try...;)

I remember in the Diana days when pss Michael would always end up being just next to HM, pushing more senior royals to the side. I think on these occasions she received her title princess pushy. now with the core royal family being much bigger she can't do it anymore, but she sure does try...;)

What a ridiculous comment!

:previous:
Princess Michael is a villainess du jour. I wonder who will be the next ... perhaps Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugene, who are referred to as spongers by the British public, or Lady Louise, whose father did not manage to endear himself to the British public

Last edited:
:previous:
Princess Michael is a villainess du jour. I wonder who will be the next ... perhaps Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugene, who are referred to as spongers by the British public, or Lady Louise, whose father did not manage to endear himself to the British public

Since most everyone seems to feel that nothing happens without the Queen's permission, is it possible that the Queen likes Princess Michael and liked having her near her until the arrival of someone like Sophie - and then Camilla - who she got along with? Maybe the Queen 'used' Princess Michael to keep certain family members away from her during public events like the balcony scene. ;)

For good reason, I think. Watching Philip I think its very close and the family know it. I am not a sentimental person and I do not cry easily - certainly not for strangers - but I have to admit that there is a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye as I watched Philip doing his 'duty' - most certainly out of love for his wife and his family - and his country. An era is coming to a close.

This has also been on my mind recently too.

Good to see the Duke back. I don't think he's going to let anything slow him down too much no matter what his doctors tell him.[/QUOTE]

I think the DoE wants to be active and doing things rather than to just sit and read a book or watch a TV show. Its who he is. Seeing the pictures from today's Trooping the Color really shows how hard the bladder infection hit him and makes me wonder about his health. My mother was like that... always doing something so much that her nickname was Sister Mary Vacuum Cleaner and my dad always swore she'd be too busy to attend her own funeral. I do believe that keeping active prolongs life.

Back in 2008 it was reported that Philip had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. This was never confirmed nor denied by BP as "they do not comment on private health matters". I did a little bit of checking around and it does seem that men with prostate problems do end up getting bladder infections easier. I'm hoping this isn't the case with Philip but perhaps the infection did some good and he was thoroughly examined during his stay in the hospital.

Prince Philip 'diagnosed with prostate cancer' | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom