Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if there will be the same(more or less) balcony appeareance after the throne passes to Prince Charles

By the time Prince Charles succeeds (assuming nothing catastrophic occurs to make that happen early), most of his uncles and aunts, if not all, will likely be dead. I think the youngest, the Duke of Gloucester, was born in the 1940s. If the Queen is as long-lived as her mother, it's possible even that some of the monarch's children will have passed on by then. And, as future generations are producing fewer children, I reckon the crowds will be smaller.

I'm sorry if this sounds silly...but what exactly is Trooping the Color??

I thought Kate looked lovely. LOVE the McQueen jacket...it reminds me a bit of her wedding dress.

Didnt see Tim Taylor on the balcony normally its just Lady Helen and children so i assume this year no different
Duke of Gloucester was there
Lady Rose Gilman's husband - George Gilman was present
Mr Gary Lewis was on the balcony - not sure about Lady Davina
Lady Frederick Windsor

Im not sure about these ones - Duchess of Gloucester, Countess of Ulster

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry if this sounds silly...but what exactly is Trooping the Color??.

It started off as a way for the various troops in the Army to learn what banners etc. their side was using, so they could fight on the right side. Then it became a celebration of the monarch's official birthday, which is held in summer to try to avoid the worst of British weather. Each year, a different regiment of the Foot Guards in the Household Regiment presents its colours (banners).

Here's the British Monarchy website's article:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/RoyalEventsandCeremonies/TroopingtheColour/TroopingtheColour.aspx

You also have the Wikipedia articles, but here are mine from this year:

1. Part 1
2011 Trooping the Colour ceremony takes place, Prince William rides forth - National British Royal Family | Examiner.com

2. Part 2
Queen inspects Scots Guard at Trooping the Colour, British Royals fill balcony - National British Royal Family | Examiner.com

Backgrounders:
British Royals 101: Trooping the Colour and the Queen's official birthday - National British Royal Family | Examiner.com

British Royal Family 101: What is the Household Division? - National British Royal Family | Examiner.com

Hope this helps. :)

--Linda

Last edited:
She's The Lady Louise Windsor, she isn't referred to as a Princess.

The James Oglivy which carried the colour today, that isn't Alexandras son is it?

But she still is a Princess, whether or not she is called one or not.

It was great seeing her...she resembles her grandmother, the Queen VERY MUCH.

I love the scene of the Elosie, Estella, Margarita and Louise standing in one of the windows at the Palace.

It was a great day...lovely to see all the royals (major and minor). Wonder why Beatrice wasn't there but there is always Ascot for a crazy hat :) Though she has been doing a fantastic job as of late.

Catherine looked lovely, the coatdress looked better standing than when she was riding in the carriage. And while the black and white is not a standout item, she didn't take away from the star of the day:

The Birthday Girl/Woman/Queen - Queen Elizabeth.....Long May She Reign!

I will second the sentiments, Zonk. The pictures were such a great surprise after a morning which was spent taking a rather nasty test.

Watching the coverage from the BBC, I'm pretty certain a couple of times the Queen could be seen tapping her feet along to the band. She clearly enjoys this ceremony & pays avid attention to what is going on.
It was good to see the Duchess of Kent on the balcony - am I right in thinking she hasn't attended in recent years?

No I believe she attended last year. Its one of the few royal events she does attend regularly unless an illness or something. Especially since her immeadiate family attends in great numbers.

No Marina Mowatt or her kids this year though.

also seen on the balcony:

Hon. Charles Armstrong-Jones
Duchess of Gloucester
Lady Nicholas Windsor
Timothy Taylor
James Ogilvy

Last edited:
Do you have pictures of the DofG and Lady Nicholas?

Who are the young men (boys?) standing next to Gary Lewis.

I love the picture of Catherine being kissed (on the cheek of course) by Prince Michael of Kent.

It's a shame that here in Canada we can't see it, but I doubt that enough people would get up so early to watch it to make it worthwhile for the CBC to buy the broadcast rights. :

Pardon?! You mean you´re not able to watch the birthday parade of your own Queen while we here in continental europe, who have completely other heads of state, can...?!:ohmy:

Adorable pictures. Lady Louise is slowly becoming my favourite Royal. She's utterly adorable and you could clearly see she was loving every second of this morning. The image with her and the three other girls looking out the window was precious. And the moments in the carriage beside her big cousin Princess Eugenie were so cute. You could see Eugenie talking to her a few times. Was so cute. My favourite moment was when Prince William called her name and told her to look to the sky for the Red Arrows coming. Her face LIT up when she saw them.

Adorable pictures. Lady Louise is slowly becoming my favourite Royal...
Yup me too :twohearts:
And also The Queen was talking to her all the time on the balcony, it's clear that she adores his granddaughter :flowers:
I also hope that next year maybe we gonna see James,too on the balcony with other RF
Picture details
Lady Louise and Queen in similar pose ;)
Picture details

I noticed the Queen talking to her as well. So cute. Louise is the apple of the Queen's eye! Louise started talking to her when she stood beside her. Louise is such a friendly little girl that I imagine she would talk to anyone. She's too sweet and really loved waving to the crowds. I am so glad Edward and Sophie are lightening their over protection of her as she CLEARLY loves people. She's obviously inherited that from her mother who is so at ease with people. I doubt we'll see James, but it would be EXCELLENT if we did.

I loved the pictures of Catherine describing what the crowds looked like on her wedding day and she even put her hands over her ears to demonstrate little Grace Van Cutsem. The image of the 4 girls looking out the window should become iconic! It's so cute.

Wow Flora has gotten so tall!

Still no Marina I guess.

Better closeup up of Flora Oglivy
Picture details

She looks so grown up. Who's that girl with her hands over her ears? Is it one of the Taylor Sisters?

Moving on to the general discussion, I must say that these are some nice pictures. Lady Louise is a little beauty :)

Sorry this is wierdly written, I've got lots of thoughts running through my head, and I don't want to take up too much space by double posting :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
First thought on some of those pictures: one day, many many many years from now, I look forward to hearing Louise's recollections of spending time with her grandmother the Queen. :flowers:

By the time Prince Charles succeeds (assuming nothing catastrophic occurs to make that happen early), most of his uncles and aunts, if not all, will likely be dead. I think the youngest, the Duke of Gloucester, was born in the 1940s.

The Duke of Gloucester is the Queen's first cousin, thus, he is the Prince of Wales' first cousin, once removed. Not his uncle.

Charles has no surviving aunts and never had an uncle.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the links to pictures of the day.
It was good to see Lady Louise at this event.Everyone looked great.

Last edited:
I wonder why Andrew was not wearing a military uniform?

(He's actually entitled to!)

I was about to ask this very question...?:ermm:

Lady Louise is an extremely pretty little girl.:)

I love the DoC's ivory Alexander McQueen coat!:whistling:

wartenberg7 said:
Pardon?! You mean you´re not able to watch the birthday parade of your own Queen while we here in continental europe, who have completely other heads of state, can...?!:ohmy:

I know!. Rather silly, as it is HM's birthday parade and as her subject in Canada I can't easily watch it. I mean, I can go online and watch it, but I shouldn't need to go to such lengths to watch the birthday parade of my sovereign!!!

Back
Top Bottom