Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think HM treats Trooping as a big family get-together rather than an official "working royals and their families only" event. AFAIK HM's side of the family and the Gloucesters/Kents etc don't get to see each other very often (I think with a few exceptions between the Cambridges and Lord and Lady Frederick since they live near each other and their children are in the same class and school) so it's probably nice for them to see everyone and catch up. A lot of the extended family rotates between years or stop attending e.g. the Snowdens haven't been since 2011 when they used to be regulars leaving a little more room on the balcony to squeeze in another. And selfishly it's nice to see photos of all the family together since we don't get to see the extended royals and their families all that often.
I can picture, though, Trooping being limited to an immediate family event when/if Charles becomes king for some reason.

Personally I like seeing all the royals at Trooping as its one of the few times we get to see them all together and its nice knowing they have that opportunity.

I found the Diamond Jubilee balcony appearance rather awkward as it was so different and while change can be good we are talking about an institution with many traditions and where even relatively modern practices are seen as tradition - a lot of people think the RF have always celebrated Christmas at Sandringham and could imagine it nowhere else even though this is really only a 20-25year old custom.

Likewise, IMO, the Jubilee balcony appearance was too different for people and looked a little like Charles was being petty. I don't think Charles is pretty btw but thats how it seemed. While you happily have other people carrying out duties for you it appears stingy not to invite them onto the balcony. In fairness Charles could just invite the same people as now and have a smaller balcony party, most the public wouldn't know beyond the HRHs (and probably not even that many royals tbh) so sticking to Charles, his siblings, their children, Earl Snowden and Lady Sarah and the HRH Kents and Gloucesters feels right to me.

Live Coverage Begins:

It's wonderful that the BBC is finally streaming it live worldwide. No more fiddling around with a VPN to get into iPlayer...

Watching it live on the BBC looks like a cloudy Saturday morning in London.

It's wonderful that the BBC is finally streaming it live worldwide. No more fiddling around with a VPN to get into iPlayer...

Not sure about that...when I go to their site it says content not available here.

LaRae

Watching it live on the BBC looks like a cloudy Saturday morning in London.

Luckily german ARD is showing it every year so i had never that Problem before.

The 1st carriage procession is about to leave Buckingham Palace,Duchess of Cornwall,Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex!

Followed by the Duke of Kent and Earl of Wessex and the York Princesses.

The 1st carriage procession is about to leave Buckingham Palace,Duchess of Cornwall,Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex!

Followed by the Duke of Kent and Earl of Wessex and the York Princesses.

Wasn't it Jack and the Duke of Kent with Beatrice and Eugenie followed by the Wessexes in the third carriage.

The Queen in the scottish State coach. Wonder why she is using a closed carriage this year.

The commentators said it was Edward in the second carriage - but they also said it was the Earl and Countess of Wessex the first time through.

To me it looked like Jack with the Duke of Kent and the York Princesses - which would make sense rather then put Jack in the third carriage and split up both the Wessexes and Jack and Eugenie.

What an experience for Jack Brooksbank today!

From the footage it was definitely:

Carriage 1
The Duchess of Cornwall
The Duchess of Cambridge
The Duke of Sussex
The Duchess of Sussex

Carriage 2
The Duke of Kent
Mr Jack Brooksbank
HRH Princess Eugenie
HRH Princess Beatrice

Carriage 3
The Earl of Wessex
The Countess of Wessex
Lady Louise Windsor
Viscount Severn

I suspect Huw Edwards simply got muddled with his pages. I suspect the Scottish State Coach was on hand in case of rain and sadly its quite a wet day so was used rather than HM get wet. Not sure what the other royals have to do if there's a sudden downpour.

The commentators said it was Edward in the second carriage - but they also said it was the Earl and Countess of Wessex the first time through.

To me it looked like Jack with the Duke of Kent and the York Princesses - which would make sense rather then put Jack in the third carriage and split up both the Wessexes and Jack and Eugenie.

Edward usually wears an unform for Trooping and there was only a man iwth an uniform in the carriage with Beatrice and Eugenie. And ywhy would the seat jack in the carriage with other other Wessexes and Edward with the York's.

It was raining until just before the processions left.

Then we can be lucky that not all used closed carriages. Remember still the one Trooping arounrd 20 years ago when there was a Heavy rain shower exact at the time the Parade took place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which Edward? Kent of Wessex

the Duke of Kent was in a bearskin hat in the second carriage and The Earl of Wessex was in the third in uniform of the London Scottish Regiment.

Last edited:
It’s a shame The Queen chooses to travel alone.

Which Edward? Kent of Wessex

I meant Edward Wesses. There is no also a pic oin the gettyimages gallery that thows the Earl of Wessex seating next to his wife in the third carriage.

It’s a shame The Queen chooses to travel alone.

I thought it was a little sad looking too, but then I remembered that she rode alone for the first ~50 years of her reign too.

Live Coverage Begins:
Thanks, Dman! :flowers:

Glad The BBC has decided to send the broadcast live on YouTube for the first time.

And as usual, it's presented by the 57-year-old Huw Edwards:
*Usually ''very'' pro-monarchy in his presenting-style.
*And now the main guy at the BBC when it comes to state-events, including some of The Diamond Jubilee and The 90th Birthday events, The Royal Weddings in 2011/2018 and The State Openings of Parliament.

Another thing to mention is that this is the third time the Queen uses a closed coach due to the weather. In 2012 and 2013 she used The Glass Coach.

--------------------

Not sure what the other royals have to do if there's a sudden downpour.
Using umbrellas, as The Queen has previously done. ?

I thought it was a little sad looking too, but then I remembered that she rode alone for the first ~50 years of her reign too.

Perhaps it looked also different because of the big carriage today. In the small Landau she usually uses it looks different.

Trooping the Colour 2003-2019

I absolutely adore these weeks in June, and it’s had such a fantastic lead up with a variety of events this year.

Is this Viscount Severns first Trooping?

I thought the same^^

The Queen has often been driven to Trooping alone, but usually in the smaller Queen Victoria 1842 ivory-mounted phaeton or an open landau. Usually when we see the Queen in a closed carriage she is accompanied by either Philip, a visiting Head of State at State visits, or someone else. Its unusual to see her travel in such a State coach alone.

Back
Top Bottom