The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-15-2015, 12:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't know Queen Camilla...did you hear William say he wanted to be in the picture with the monarch and that he wanted George to be the center of attention?

If you can assume and guess then so can others.

LaRae

Old 06-15-2015, 12:52 AM
Courtier

George would have been the center of attention no matter where William stood.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
There is an order to the gathering. Tim and Ann moved up and stood in Wessex spot.

James is in the front because he is a child. Children do not count in the male female male female order.

William and Kate should have been standing where Louise stood.

It was William who wanted the picture with the monarch. He wanted George to be the center of attention, that is why he changed George's clothes and stood next to the Queen.

The empty stop was for Louise so that the parentless children would flank the Queen.
I can't pretend to read people's minds, but I can recommend watching the video. In it, you can see that Louise walks out onto the balcony ahead of Charles, and goes to stand on the other side of the Queen. Charles clearly leaves an empty spot between him and the Queen, and you can see Andrew encouraging William or Harry to stand there. My guess would be that Charles left it for William and George to stand there (as he certainly seemed happy to have his son and grandson standing there, and gave no indication of being "displaced.")

I would also assume that George's wardrobe change was pre-planned - they probably didn't want him spending all morning in an outfit that's an heirloom, as he could quite easily have gotten it dirty before he made it on to the balcony. George would've been the center of attention no matter where he stood, and William actually seems to hang back a bit before Andrew indicated that he could go there.

You seem to be reading a lot of motives in what seemed to be a fairly fluid arrangement. And, yes, there's a general order in which the family stands, but if you look at pictures from year to year, you can see that there are slight variations, which I'm sure are due to a variety of reasons: you don't have the same exact people every year, or sometimes some people tend to hang back, or perhaps they might move closer to someone they're speaking to. It's not a rigid military formation.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Did anyone actually hear Andrew's words?
No, but Andrew does point to the space and says something to Harry and William. After that, Harry moves into the space and then steps back a few minutes later.

If William really was desperate to be next to the Queen, he would have immediately taken the space. Instead he continues to stand behind the Queen (he's talking and pointing things out to George), until it appears Charles says something to him and at that point he moves up.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
George would have been the center of attention no matter where William stood.
exactly. and the photo everyone wanted was the 4 generations. Andrew, Kate and Harry all hung back to let William and George stand between his father and grandmother.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:14 AM
Gentry

LOL, That William always the troublemaker.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:20 AM
Royal Highness

It was the Queen's birthday. She stands in the center because the focus should be on her.

William took the focus off the Queen and made it about himself and his son.

If William stood where he usually stood then there would have been less photographs of him.

If William did not want the extra attention why change George's outfit so it matched William's first balcony appearance?

Yes, George would have received the attention but not as much if he had kept the same outfit that he was wearing with his nanny and stood in William's usual spot and not stood next to the Queen.

The media would have been taken to task if their photographs were mostly of William and George. It was after all the official birthday of the monarch.

The clothes change and the standing next to the Queen speaks volumes.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:29 AM
Gentry

only to some. Anyways Lovely pics. Can't wait until the longest reign celebrations next year.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
It was the Queen's birthday. She stands in the center because the focus should be on her.

I'm not exactly a fan of William and Catherine but George's first balcony appearance would make him the centre of attention (at least for the media and for many others) no matter when it occurred.

There are limited opportunities for the royal family to be on the balcony so it was always going to be when someone else should be the focus of attention be it the Queen on an official birthday or jubilee celebration, Charles on succession or coronation to Harry on marriage.

Frankly, as the Queen has an official birthday every year and the balcony appearance is routine, I'd rather the focus be on him now rather then a unique occasion such as the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, Charles' coronation or Harry's wedding day.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:05 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I really don't get where anyone can say that William was deliberately trying to upstage the Queen and even wishing to dominate over all for the attention. These things are pretty well planned out in advance and I would bet my last HoHo that the grouping with the monarch and 3 future kings together was deliberate and what better way to accentuate that grouping than to have George wear an outfit that his dad and his grandfather had worn before him? The clue that gives this all away is that obviously KP was advised of this ahead of time and tweeted it to one and all.

I think we need to realize that these people are a family and they work together, play together (as we've seen of some of the family at polo) and all of them dearly love Granny. These are not people that are fighting their way up a corporate ladder somewhere stepping on toes whenever they can.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-15-2015, 02:13 AM
Serene Highness

http://i62.tinypic.com/efkina.jpg
Old 06-15-2015, 03:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

If William stood where he usually stood then there would have been less photographs of him.

If William did not want the extra attention why change George's outfit so it matched William's first balcony appearance?

Yes, George would have received the attention but not as much if he had kept the same outfit that he was wearing with his nanny and stood in William's usual spot and not stood next to the Queen.

The media would have been taken to task if their photographs were mostly of William and George. It was after all the official birthday of the monarch.

If you watch the video you will see that Charles came out before William and so he moved aside to allow for William to be in position next to The Queen. It wasn't William pushing his way in but Charles allowing him there deliberately.

The next question is 'why would Charles do that?'

1. He wanted to have his son and grandson standing between him and The Queen so that the photo of the four monarchs together on the balcony could be taken.

2. He stood where the Queen told him to stand so that she could have her grandson and great-grand-son next to her for her great-grand-son's first appearance.

3. William is so intimidating both his father and grandmother that he is calling the shots on who stands where.

Having answered that question (and either #1 or #2 work for me while #3 is rubbish imo) the next question is why change George?

1. To have him wear the same outfit that William wore as a sign of continuity.

2. To demand attention from The Queen on George's first balcony appearance ever.

As #2 would happen whenever it happened #1 makes more sense.

If The Queen didn't want George to upstage her on the balcony she would simply have refused to allow him to be taken out there but as she knows that the public want to see George and see him on the balcony she isn't so insecure in her place in the family that she minds when her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren do things.

Nothing happened in that central part of the balcony of which Her Majesty didn't approve. She knows what is happening and would also have been involved in the planning of that appearance.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:24 AM
Majesty

Well, if the clothes were mothballed, someone kept them and for this very reason I think.

Someone directed these clothes be aired and given to William and Catherine, in the hopes, I imagine, that exactly what happened would happen.

Just think, someone stored these clothes for 30 odd years and they magically reappear for George's first appearance on the balcony just as has happened with the clothes he wore with Charlotte.

You can't tell me that the first thing William went looking for when he married were his own baby clothes, even if he knew they had been stored away for him.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:

That is quite a perspective
Old 06-15-2015, 06:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I think you're looking into it A BIT too much ...
Old 06-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Was HRH Princess Pushy on a nice place on the balcony this year to be seen as always.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

I rarely say anything about hats (unless I like them) but I just must: Catherine's hat. Not only is it one of those dreaded fascinators, it is (like someone said) looking like a big plastic picnic plate with an antenna on it, no less. The result being that you always could see where Catherine was. Antenna an inspired addition, as it turns out, since she was positioned behind the Queen. (I think William was suppose to be a tad closer to Charles so that Catherine could stand beside William unobstructed. As it stood, Catherine had to crane her head into the tableau, as did Harry). My two cents.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
... The result being that you always could see where Catherine was. Antenna an inspired addition, as it turns out, since she was positioned behind the Queen. (I think William was suppose to be a tad closer to Charles so that Catherine could stand beside William unobstructed. As it stood, Catherine had to crane her head into the tableau, as did Harry). My two cents.
It will be interesting over time and this new family relaxes a bit, to see how they line up and approach the balcony appearance thing.
Kate helicoptered this year, IMHO. And I understand that it was George's first time, and that they are a very strong family unit and that as parents they are proud. And as the photographers evidence, there is a reason for that. The majority of the interest was on that family tableau.
It's always cute to see kids on the balcony: James making goggle eyes or a bridesmaid scowling with hands over ears are memorable and adorable. I personally hope the George-o-mania dies down a bit and that we can get back to important things, like talking about all the ladies hats on the balcony.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:39 AM
Royal Highness

Old 06-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Royal Highness

I did watch the video that Molly2101 posted and it clearly shows that Louise was headed towards the open spot.

Watch the video. Pay attention to Louise and follow Louise. She comes out then walks behinds where Philip is standing then behind James and was heading towards the empty spot but the video cut and shows the audience. The next time it shows the RF on the balcony Louise is near Beatrice.

The empty spot was for Louise that is why there wasn't enough room for Kate.

William pushed aside an eleven year old.

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour