The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=zarat;1676096]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Sorry for which reason Duchess of Kent is "refusing" to attend?
The Duchess of Kent hasn't attend public events for many years now, various reasons are given, both that she is not 100% well and that she and the Duke live slightly separate lives. She taught music in a state school for a number of years using the name Katherine Kent and hasn't used the style HRH since early 2000s.
She tends to only turn up for major family events such as weddings

Old 06-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
I agree about the bearskin hat; do fellow board members know details about these things? All I know is that the skins are from black bears native to Canada. In Ontario we have a very controversial spring bear hunt that no longer takes place due to animal rights campaigners. I would think and hope therefore that these hats are passed on from Guard member to guard member as otherwise the hats would become even more expensive and lead to bear poaching.
The caps (as they're known in the Guards regiments) are handed down through the generations, as it were, although new ones do still have to be bought each year. I know the MoD have had trials for synthetic materials in response to controversy from animal rights activists, but I believe that no man-made material has been found that's anywhere near as durable for outdoor wear as the real deal. I think I remember hearing that during the trials the caps' synthetic furs discoloured and expanded, making them look really odd.

The origins of the tall caps are simply that they made soldiers look much bigger and therefore more frightening on the battlefield.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
It's ridiculous that people in other countries got to see PG out and about but he's always been hidden away in the country he actually lives in. Diana and the Queen brought their babies out at TTC but I can't say that I am remotely surprised that George isn't there today.

The difference is that he was with his his parents on a 3-week trip. Now he can stay home or with grandparents. Abroad, there was virtually no way they could avoid his being seen.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Those girls look good!
indeed, gabriella and sophie winkleman certainly do look good in that picture! sophie reminds me there of princess ameera, with her long dark hair... i love their wide brim hats - we don't see many of those anymore in this age of fascinators and cocktail hats!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Nobility

[QUOTE=tommy100;1676114]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarat View Post

The Duchess of Kent hasn't attend public events for many years now, various reasons are given, both that she is not 100% well and that she and the Duke live slightly separate lives. She taught music in a state school for a number of years using the name Katherine Kent and hasn't used the style HRH since early 2000s.
She tends to only turn up for major family events such as weddings
Didn't she suprisingly appear at the balcony some years ago? Or maybe even last year?

I thought the Duke and Duchess are informally separated and although Prince Edward continues to live at Wren House on the grounds of Kensington Palace, his wife rents or owns an apartment somewhere else in town, works (or worked) on her own as a school teacher and does not take part in any of her husband's duties. The Duke is seen carrying out his regular engagements solo for many years now (and did the Duchess renounce her patronages?). She does not attend and does not openings, concerts, meetings, parties and banquets, etc. both in her capacity as patron/president/chairman/colonel/visitor and as a member of the RF (events at state or court level).
Old 06-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Royal Highness

Over the years, maybe depending on what they have going on that day, various members do or do not attend.

I loved the big pic from 2012 in which virtually every member and extended member was present.

To the poster back a couple of pages, Peter and Zara have attended in the past few years. Their last appearances were not during childhood. :-)
Old 06-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
The caps (as they're known in the Guards regiments) are handed down through the generations, as it were, although new ones do still have to be bought each year. I know the MoD have had trials for synthetic materials in response to controversy from animal rights activists, but I believe that no man-made material has been found that's anywhere near as durable for outdoor wear as the real deal. I think I remember hearing that during the trials the caps' synthetic furs discoloured and expanded, making them look really odd.

The origins of the tall caps are simply that they made soldiers look much bigger and therefore more frightening on the battlefield.
I also noticed bear skins under William and Charles' saddles. I think if was bear skin and under the saddle - but someone here probably knows better than I.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

As squirmy and as much of a handful as George appeared to be in Australia I don't blame them for not hauling him out onto a balcony.

Those boys are tall...they look down on Phillip! I forget how tall Kate is until I see her next to Camilla/Charles. She looks lovely too!

Did not like Sophie's outfit..what was she thinking? Everyone is dressed to the 9's and she's got a casual summer dress on.

Not a fan of the color of Eugenie's dress.

Harry has gotten better looking as he has aged!

LaRae
Old 06-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
As squirmy and as much of a handful as George appeared to be in Australia I don't blame them for not hauling him out onto a balcony.

Those boys are tall...they look down on Phillip! I forget how tall Kate is until I see her next to Camilla/Charles. She looks lovely too!

Did not like Sophie's outfit..what was she thinking? Everyone is dressed to the 9's and she's got a casual summer dress on.

Not a fan of the color of Eugenie's dress.

Harry has gotten better looking as he has aged!

LaRae
Sophie wore that to Westminster Abbey service < I think ), tho I cant remember what it was for. It is possibly the worse thing Ive seen her in. see thru is never appropriate. But thats just my opinion, normally she is great.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-14-2014, 08:04 PM
Serene Highness

Eugenie looked like she was wearing a rain Mac and I agree that Sophie looked unusually bad. Even her hair was bad which is not like her.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Sophie wore that to Westminster Abbey service < I think ), tho I cant remember what it was for. It is possibly the worse thing Ive seen her in. see thru is never appropriate. But thats just my opinion, normally she is great.
I was surprised...she is normally very well turned out. Can't imagine why she wore that.

LaRae
Old 06-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Sophie's Choice - not a good one.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Yes, that's what I thought as well. Louise often attends so her absence stood out for me, and I thought that or illness could be the most likely reason for her not attending. The same goes for James.

Beatrice also wasn't present.

I was wondering if she's got something big happening at School coming up she needs to get ready for. She is at that age where the transition to the next level of schooling is coming fast. Then again, I have no idea how the British school year works, so I could be completely wrong too.

Sophie was the only one who had me going "What was she thinking!?!" W/her outfit. She's really upped her game the last few years fashion wise so today and the Garden Party outfit is puzzling. Too bad too. Loved Kate's ensemble, but I want that brooch she had on!! That really gave the entire thing a lovely finished look. Also thought Camilla looked really good as well.

Of course Her Majesty looked amazing and her fashion accessory the DoE just continues to blow me away w/his stamina. I said it before, but if I manage to make it to my 90's, I hope i'm as great and w/it as HRH is.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Left to right across the balcony with some missing pieces...

The Duke of Gloucester, Duchess of Gloucester
Alexander and Clair Windsor, Earl and Countess of Ulster?
? female (Rose Gilman?)
? female
? male
Prince and Princess Michael
Duchess of Cornwall and Prince of Wales
Princess Eugenie
The Princess Royal
The Queen
Sir Timothy Lawrence
Countess of Wessex
Duke of York
Duke of Edinburgh
Earl of Wessex
Prince Harry, the Duchess and Duke of Cambridge
Lady Frederick Windsor
EstellaTaylor
Lord Frederick Windsor?
Lady Helen Taylor
Eloise Taylor
Lady Gabriella Windsor
Duke of Kent
Princess Alexandra
? female
Old 06-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
I agree about the bearskin hat; do fellow board members know details about these things? All I know is that the skins are from black bears native to Canada. In Ontario we have a very controversial spring bear hunt that no longer takes place due to animal rights campaigners. I would think and hope therefore that these hats are passed on from Guard member to guard member as otherwise the hats would become even more expensive and lead to bear poaching.

Wrong!! The Spring Bear Hunt was back this year and I hope to stay. The population has ballooned to the point in our area between our native population and those that were "relocated" from Southern Ontario, it was downright scary last year just to go out to get our mail. Not to mention all the various incidents where they've gotten into homes/cottages looking for food.

But I forgot...That couldn't possibly be happening because those were dumped in a rural area.

Uh huh...I love it when someone in Southern Ontario thinks "Rural Northern Ontario" means no one living here. :(

Sorry for the tangent, but this is one of those issues that really shows the disconnect between the two areas of this Province and drives us in Northern Ontario beyond crazy. I still think the only way for the Southern MPP's to truly get it is to let a couple of bears loose in the halls of Queen's Park and then maybe....Maybe....I doubt it though.

I'm sure those Bearskins worn today are passed down or come from Bears that were a danger to the public in a rural setting or going after a Farmer's herd/stock. If any are new, it's a sure bet that's where they came from.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post

I'm sure those Bearskins worn today are passed down or come from Bears that were a danger to the public in a rural setting or going after a Farmer's herd/stock. If any are new, it's a sure bet that's where they came from.
You are correct, Tiggersk8. I remember reading that the firm who supplies the bearskin caps to the Guards regiments ensures that the fur is sourced from official Canadian culls which have been performed to control the local bear population. The bears have to be killed anyway for the good of their own species and the safety of their human neighbours, so why not use the fur to make something that will be treasured and put to good use for potentially decades to come?

Each one costs £650 so they are well looked after for reasons of expense as much as anything else.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Serene Highness

Never mind.

edit.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-14-2014, 11:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
William wasn't brought out until he was almost two. Hoping Catherine tired look means something :)
She did look a bit tired.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-15-2014, 12:34 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
She did look a bit tired.
Ah.. the tired mom syndrome. Perhaps she had a rough night of it with George having a rough time sleeping. Even though George could fall asleep and peacefully sleep through all the excitement, Kate wasn't so lucky and didn't want to cause any distress by bowing out of Trooping the Color.

There could be a million different explanations. This is but just one of them that seems plausible.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour