Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is such a large family gathering at the balcony really necessary ? What happened to a slimmed-down , core royal family ?
Ask the Daily Mail et al.

Thanks for your answer, Tommy100.

I understand what you say, but it just strikes me as odd. The Duke of Kent, the Duke of Gloucester, Prince Michael and Princess Alexandra are HRHs themselves so it makes sense that they would be there, but their children and grandchildren are not royals and are not even closely related to the Queen, unlike Princess Anne's children for example (who are not royals either, but at least are closer relatives to the Queen). Nothing against it and it certainy doesn't hurt, but it is a little bit too much IMHO.
I guess they are also there on the balcony because they are watching a fly past, whilst its turned into a 'balcony appearance' by the media it's actually also a view point for the RF to watch the flypast. I guess the Queen, having invited them to attend, would feel rude asking them to watch the flypast on TV or in the back garden.
This is the British Royal Family. Presumably, after the flypast, they will enjoy a light buffet and celebrate the year, catch up with each other, compare their experiences, touch base wth mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins and all the other degrees.

For many, this is one of the two occasions where they are all in attendance and, as we have seen at various polo, racing and social events, the strangest couples are close friends. it is also the one time when everyone can be themselves, no big-mouthed 'friend' (unknown source) telling tales about who said what to whom about whomever. They just have a jolly good time and, when they step out to the balcony, the crowd sees the BRF en masse. There is space on the balcony and I would bet my last cent that HM and Prince Philip love spending time with the whole bunch of extended family and no other calls on their time for the rest of the day. Doesn't the Queen deserve a birthday party?

The whole family is out there for 15 minutes. You would not even see the extended family on the tv coverage because they focus on the Queen and the people immediately around her. They are there because the Queen wants them there and it's her official birthday celebration. Just like they all get invited for pre Christmas BP lunch. What harm is the extended family on the balcony doing? None that I can see.

I think that's the sum of it. :flowers: It's The Queen's birthday party, and she wants them all to be around her. That's fair. It's her support system, like her empty handbag, that she carries (though I haven't seen that handbag lately come to think of it. Has she dispensed with it?)

It's not like they are all getting a stipend or honorarium for being out there on that balcony. ;)

I guess they are also there on the balcony because they are watching a fly past, whilst its turned into a 'balcony appearance' by the media its actually also a view point for the RF to watch the flypast. I guess the Queen, having invited them to attend, would feel rude asking them to watch the flypast on TV or in the back garden.

I think it makes her feel better to do such a daunting appearance, before so many people, surrounded by those she knows and loves. :flowers: Because it is overwhelming (especially for those not egomaniacs) to be before a crowd like that, even after years of experience. JMO.

This is the British Royal Family. Presumably, after the flypast, they will enjoy a light buffet and celebrate the year, catch up with each other, compare their experiences, touch base wth mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins and all the other degrees.

For many, this is one of the two occasions where they are all in attendance and, as we have seen at various polo, racing and social events, the strangest couples are close friends. it is also the one time when everyone can be themselves, no big-mouthed 'friend' (unknown source) telling tales about who said what to whom about whomever. They just have a jolly good time and, when they step out to the balcony, the crowd sees the BRF en masse. There is space on the balcony and I would bet my last cent that HM and Prince Philip love spending time with the whole bunch of extended family and no other calls on their time for the rest of the day. Doesn't the Queen deserve a birthday party?

Yes. :flowers: A nice summation of what it might be for The Queen. Less lonely I would think. Like Janis Joplin famously referenced. Nothing more lonely than being adored by a crowd. Yep. For sure she wants connection to her real-world life once she steps off that balcony. JMO.

BTW I think the 'slimming down' oft spoken of is only in terms of titles and salaries, correct? That would not preclude King Charles from continuing on with his mother's twice-a-year family reunions, I would think. Why give up on that, just because of a change in reigns? It seems to me, Charles would want to gather his extended family around him, if only just twice a year. It's a way of thank you, too.

BTW will King Charles have an official June Birthday, too, because of the weather being so nasty in November? Wondering.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Charlotte's got The Queen's 'resting face', methinks. ;)

And did you see that? She nailed the photographer with a finger-point! Impressive! :cool: Thai's one savvy child.

The Cambridge kids cracks me up. They're adorable and funny. They have the royal waves down and they enjoy these gatherings and fly-pasts.

The Cambridge kids cracks me up. They're adorable and funny. They have the royal waves down and they enjoy these gatherings and fly-pasts.

They do seem in good spirits and very relaxed...that's a good thing.

LaRae

They do seem in good spirits and very relaxed...that's a good thing. LaRae

Actually, to me they look a bit kvetchy as children go. :cool: A handful both of them. Not as bad as Sweden's Madeleine's Leonore, but along those lines. I think it's the astrology. Similar to my last born little one, who was born generally around the same time (not quite) but still, a generational auspice would be in play. ;)

I enjoyed seeing Ann in full military dress and have a general question. What is Ann's Bicorne made of? Anyone know? I ask, because in the last year or so, it had started to look a bit worn and this year at Trooping it was spiffy, shiny and refreshed.
I tried to search for this and only found references to wool bicornes. Thanks.

I enjoyed seeing Ann in full military dress and have a general question. What is Ann's Bicorne made of? Anyone know? I ask, because in the last year or so, it had started to look a bit worn and this year at Trooping it was spiffy, shiny and refreshed.
I tried to search for this and only found references to wool bicornes. Thanks.

More info on the cocked hats-
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicorne

I think that's the sum of it. :flowers: It's The Queen's birthday party, and she wants them all to be around her. That's fair. It's her support system, like her empty handbag, that she carries (though I haven't seen that handbag lately come to think of it. Has she dispensed with it?)

It's not like they are all getting a stipend or honorarium for being out there on that balcony. ;)

I think it makes her feel better to do such a daunting appearance, before so many people, surrounded by those she knows and loves. :flowers: Because it is overwhelming (especially for those not egomaniacs) to be before a crowd like that, even after years of experience. JMO.

Yes. :flowers: A nice summation of what it might be for The Queen. Less lonely I would think. Like Janis Joplin famously referenced. Nothing more lonely than being adored by a crowd. Yep. For sure she wants connection to her real-world life once she steps off that balcony. JMO.

BTW I think the 'slimming down' oft spoken of is only in terms of titles and salaries, correct? That would not preclude King Charles from continuing on with his mother's twice-a-year family reunions, I would think. Why give up on that, just because of a change in reigns? It seems to me, Charles would want to gather his extended family around him, if only just twice a year. It's a way of thank you, too.

BTW will King Charles have an official June Birthday, too, because of the weather being so nasty in November? Wondering.

This. King Charles or King George VII should invite all of his family on the balcony at future events. The Kents and Gloucesters are family members, they should be there. Lord Downpatrick and his future Lady Downpatrick should be there as well.

I did notice the thinning of the crowds for the Trooping in recent years. If you look back at the pictures of the people lining the streets back in the day, the crowds were vast and deep.

:previous:

I believe they are having a heat wave in England, so it was very hot yesterday. Perhaps people preferred to stay in the shadow or on the beach instead of standing in the sun for hours?

:previous:

I believe they are having a heat wave in England, so it was very hot yesterday. Perhaps people preferred to stay in the shadow or on the beach instead of standing in the sun for hours?

Yes, that's understandable, but the crowds have been thinning out in recent years though. Not that many people have been gathering for these events. Perhaps technology is part of the cause. People can watch the Trooping online and tv and don't bother coming out to see it live.

Also, there's less troops taking part in the Trooping as well. The toops used to be pretty big many years ago.

I did notice the thinning of the crowds for the Trooping in recent years. If you look back at the pictures of the people lining the streets back in the day, the crowds were vast and deep.

I wonder if the recent security concerns had anything to do with that. With the UK on high alert after recent attacks, people may have been worried about coming out in large numbers.

Have you tried using a vpn to "trick" your location? I use CyberGhost and have nad nothing but positive experiences with it.
No, I haven't. But maybe I'll try it.

1. We don't live in the 1950s-1980s anymore, so yes the crowds are thinner for the carriage procession at non-milestone birthdays. But if you look at the crowds in the mall after the trooping, then they have (as the BBC commentators says) actually been larger in recent years.

2. The crowd was very big last year for the 90th for both the carriage procession and the balcony appearance (largest we have seen for the trooping) and had she waited an hour to get out on the balcony, then there had been jubilee/wedding size on the crowds.

3. They were of course much smaller yesterday on a non-milestone birthday, but there was (despite terror fears) lots of people in the mall.

4. There isn't much talk about a non-milestone trooping in the media before it actually happens this days (even less this year, due to all the dreadfull events that has taken place), and I have friends who didn't even know about it. So I'm actually quite impressed that there are so many who meets up at these events.

5. Dman posted a video of the full ceremony at Horse Guards, but here is the full version with crowds being taken up to the palace and the balcony appearance - see the crowds gathering at 2:14:10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIBPoEtMKHY

In this tweet you can see the crowds, and it was (as Huw Edwards said) an impressive sight in the mall - big Crowds:
https://twitter.com/MonarchyUK/status/876044852395479040
Pictures:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DChWIQHXoAAzqa6.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DChWIQOWAAA_1ib.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DChWIQIWAAAZHnw.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps the crowds are thinning for the same reasons drive-in movie theaters have gone the way of the dinosaur. People can stay home or somewhere cooler and live stream the event or even watch it on TV. It used to be years ago that the only way to witness the event was actually being there. That has changed.

Another vehicular attack on pedestrians in London just broke across my screen. That may be a reason too to not venture out into a large crowd.

It is the very last one for the DOE . the whole family was there even the Duchess of Kent , but not the the Countess of Wessex and her Children ! Do we know why ?
Marie Christine and her husband were not in the group as Princess Alexandra and the Gloucester but on a place she should be seen , next to the Queen's Son !

It is the very last one for the DOE . the whole family was there even the Duchess of Kent , but not the the Countess of Wessex and her Children ! Do we know why ?
Marie Christine and her husband were not in the group as Princess Alexandra and the Gloucester but on a place she should be seen , next to the Queen's Son !

Re: the Wessexes, the word is that their other grandfather had an 86th birthday celebration. Seems fair and reasonable to me.

Not the whole family was there: Zara, Mike, and Mia were also absent.

I'd add too that we don't know if the DoE intends to continue doing the Trooping in the years to come. Just what his retirement will fully entail waits to be seen.

It is actually quite usual for one relatively high in the line of succession person to miss out on this event - not always someone people would think and never the Wales branch of the family. Beatrice missed a few years ago.

With Louise and James both being under age it also makes sense for a seniorish adult to be missing - hence a possible reason for Zara's no show (she may have also been competing somewhere or maybe they are in NZ or Argentina to see either the British Lions or England play rugby matches).

This is a 'precautionary' action and usually a person not one would really care about not seeing but someone who in the case of a tragedy could step up as necessary.

Re my above mention of the rugby an explanation of what is currently happening:

The British Lions are made up of the best of the four home nations - England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland. This team forms every four years and tours NZ, Australia and South Africa - may go to Argentina sometimes as well but it has been 12 years since they were in NZ.

Each of these home nations are sending the next best players on tours as well at the moment e.g. Scotland defeated Australia at the weekend while England played in Argentina. Many of these same players will be in the 'top' team for their country but others are in the teams this year because the cream of the teams are with the Lions in NZ.

Rugby is the only truly international sport in which Ireland plays as Ireland and not as the Republic and Northern Ireland. There will be players from both north and the republic in the Irish team.

No sign of the Snowden's or Chatto's this year ? I didn't catch sight of them on the balcony?

Not the whole family was there: Zara, Mike, and Mia were also absent.

I'd add too that we don't know if the DoE intends to continue doing the Trooping in the years to come. Just what his retirement will fully entail waits to be seen.

As long as the DoE remains a colonel of one of the regiments taking part in the parade, he can be expected to attend. Currently, I think he is still a colonel only of the Grenadier Guards, but he could relinquish that position too.

I fully expect to see the DoE attending state events like Trooping the Color as long as he has breath in his body. His retirement is just stepping down from doing public engagements.

He's still very active and recently seen carriage driving around Windsor Castle and I seriously doubt he's going to jump in a carriage and just drive off into the sunset never to be seen in public again. That's not his style. At 96 years old, he deserves to just take things easy and smell the roses (or horse manure.. whatever he prefers). :D

No sign of the Snowden's or Chatto's this year ? I didn't catch sight of them on the balcony?

Sophie Wessex, Louise and James--were they hidden? Edward was alone in the carriage with other royals

Zara and family

Snowdens

Chattos

Re: the Wessexes, the word is that their other grandfather had an 86th birthday celebration. Seems fair and reasonable to me.

Very odd. The Queen's Grandchildren should be there. Zara wasn't, but otherwise they were all there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom