Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On Saturday June 10th Prince William will judge the readiness of his Regiment, the Irish Guards, to Troop their Colour in front of his grandmother HM The Queen on Her official birthday on June 17th.

This is the first time he has had this duty since becoming Royal Colonel Irish Guards in 2011. He will take the Colonel's Review on Saturday 10th June on Horse Guards Parade riding his trusted mount Wellesley in front of an audience of 6,000 guests.

Captain Jimmy Parke, Irish Guards is stationed at the Cavalry Barracks in Hounslow, west London. He said: "As a battalion, this is the first time we've trooped the Colour in front of Her Majesty since 2009.

"This is a really proud moment for the Irish Guards, especially to be able to have our Royal Colonel, Prince William, on parade as well." He added that key to the preparations will be the Irish Guards' faithful mascot Domhnall, a four-year-old Irish wolfhound, who will lead out the parade. The canine mascot is unique to the Irish Guards, with each one named after ancient kings of Ireland.

Also looking forward to the big day is Captain Freddy Simpson. "This will be our first Queen's Birthday Parade with HRH the Duke of Cambridge as our Royal Colonel," he said. "We are honoured that he has granted us this privilege and that he chose to marry in our uniform. HRH the Duchess of Cambridge has been kind enough to present a shamrock to the regiment at our St Patrick's Day parade over the last few years. This weekend before the Queen's Birthday Parade we will conduct a full dress rehearsal, The Colonel’s Review, on Horse Guards Parade, at which HRH the Duke will inspect us to ensure we are ready to go."
Read more:Prince William to judge readiness of Irish Guards - British Army Website

First time since 2009 the Irish Guards will Troop the Colour. Also the first time The Duke Of Cambridge will take the salute as regimental colonel during the Colonel's Review.

Prince William, Duke of Cambridge attends the Colonel's Review at the Queen Victoria Memorial on June 10, 2017 in London, England.

Prince William Photos Photos - Colonel's Review - Zimbio

Video

https://www.facebook.com/ArmyInLondon/videos/1470527993010675/

"With less than a week to go until the Queen’s Birthday Parade, we thought we’d give you an insight into what goes on behind the scenes. Take a look at how Lance Corporal Belham prepares Pharaoh for the parade."

https://www.facebook.com/TheBandofTheHouseholdCavalry/videos/1612691885431332/

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what they want. Frightened people not doing what they have planned to do. You cannot tell where an attack will take place next, so not doing one thing makes you no more safe than anything else. Do not let them ruin our way of life. The queen won't hide underneath a seat, neither should you. Otherwise, they have won. Muslims do not have to apologize for terrorist acts, they just need to publicly condemn them.

The president of the United States is no longer allowed to ride in an open car or carriage, so why should the Queen ?

I know that may sound heretic to many posters here, but it is not fair that the Queen should put herself in danger just because she is a national symbol. Having said that, I think however that a direct attack on the Queen is unlikely.

Last edited:
Thank you for the video showcasing British pageantry at its best.

:previous: I was totally in agreement that this is British pageantry at its best until it finally sunk into my caffeine deprived head that this was *practice*. If practice makes perfect, then next week's Trooping the Color will be extraordinary.

Also, to go ahead and do what is normally done at this time of the year to celebrate the Queen's birthday sends a clear message that the British people stand strong and united and will not buckle under the threat of terrorism in fear.

Keep calm and carry on was totally displayed by today's practice. Its not often too that one gets to see a Prince Charming on his white horse. :D

:previous: I was totally in agreement that this is British pageantry at its best until it finally sunk into my caffeine deprived head that this was *practice*. If practice makes perfect, then next week's Trooping the Color will be extraordinary.

Also, to go ahead and do what is normally done at this time of the year to celebrate the Queen's birthday sends a clear message that the British people stand strong and united and will not buckle under the threat of terrorism in fear.

Keep calm and carry on was totally displayed by today's practice. Its not often too that one gets to see a Prince Charming on his white horse. :D

Again, the POTUS does not ride in open carriages as the Brits may have noticed when George W Bush and Barack Obama paid state visits to the Queen. Basically, the so-called "Secret Service", who is responsible for the president's security, does not allow him to do so. Nevertheless, at least in the US, I've never seen or heard anyone arguing that, by refusing to be in open cars, the president is buckling under fear or weakening the national resolve.

In the end, it may be the case that the personal threat to the Queen or other members of the Royal Family is perceived to be low enough to warrant a calculation that the negative impact of the people seeing the Queen in a closed carriage would outweigh the potential benefits in terms of increased security. I just don't think it should be such a big deal. In other words, I agree that calling off public ceremonies altogether would be a mistake and would definitely send signs of weakness, but adding common sense extra security to scheduled events is reasonable and proportionate IMHO.

1. Now that I live in Norway, I can't describe how much I miss the mediahhh app.

2. Warning to posters here - be a bit careful when you use the tvpc site.

1. Now that I live in Norway, I can't describe how much I miss the mediahhh app.

2. Warning to posters here - be a bit careful when you use the tvpc site.

I miss the app too. I wonder what happened to it? It used to be easy to use it instead of tvpc and other sites. I'm going to try to watch the Trooping, but I think BBC America and the BBC News should also broadcast the event.

I just checked my BBCA channel and Trooping the Color is not listed at all as part of what will be shown. Its a shame as I would think they would televise it.

Eventually it will be on YouTube and that's where I'll watch it.

A message from our beloved, amazing history-making Queen with her Record Breaking Reign who truly is (as a commentator said yesterday) Elizabeth the Great:

https://www.royal.uk/queens-official-birthday-2017
Today is traditionally a day of celebration. This year, however, it is difficult to escape a very’ sombre national mood. In recent months, the country has witnessed a succession of terrible tragedies.

As a nation, we continue to reflect and pray for all those who have been directly affected by these events. During recent visits in Manchester and London, I have been profoundly struck by the immediate inclination of people throughout the country to offer comfort and support to those in desperate need.

Put to the test, the United Kingdom has been resolute in the face of adversity. United in our sadness, we are equally determined, without fear or favour, to support all those rebuilding lives so horribly affected by injury and loss.

ELIZABETH R

17th June, 2017

Just been read up on Sky News.

Last edited:
I just checked my BBCA channel and Trooping the Color is not listed at all as part of what will be shown. Its a shame as I would think they would televise it.

Eventually it will be on YouTube and that's where I'll watch it.

BBC America is basically useless for watching anything going on in the U.K. They never really show any of going on in the U.K. If you want some Star Trek Next Gen, it's great but if you want to watch Trooping or the State Opening of Parliament not so much. It did show some of the Diamond Jubilee stuff back in 2012 and it used to have select Six Nations rugby matches but that was several years ago.

Trooping the Colour 2003-2017

The Duke of Edinburgh is in Morning Dress this year. He normally attends in Full Uniform.

The Duke of Kent is also in Morning Dress.

Last edited:
Nice to see Philip and Edward Kent in morning dress today.

Surprised to not see Sophie or her children in a carrriage this year. Perhaps someone is unwell.

What a glorious day for Trooping the Colour in London!

For those who for various reasons can't watch BBC, perhaps you can watch this live link instead? https://www.dr.dk/tv/live/dr1
Of course with Danish comments.

I see Prince Phillip for the first time was allowed to inspect the guards with QEII, presumably as a nod to him retiring.

:previous: Thanks Muhler! The link doen't work here in Norway, but I have access to Danish channels so (thanks to you) I can now see the pictures from DR1 on the TV - while I hear the Brtitish commentary from the tvpc link.

To others here: Try to watch it here and listen to the eminent commentary of Huw Edwards - went well for me, but as I said in post 1340 - be a bit careful when you use the tvpc site.

Trooping the Colour 2017: 10:30am on BBC ONE
BBC One - Trooping the Colour

Watch outside the U.K. Here-
TVPC.com - Channel List

1. For those who are watching Trooping the Colour, you will see something strange. The Queen has always waved and smiled when she has been sitting in open carriages/open cars for her Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilees and on other occasions as milestone birthdays etc.

But never during the Trooping, then she's just sitting seriously in the carriage and almost never waves. My grandfather thinks it has something to do with that she used to ride herself.

2. The crowd was very big last year for the 90th (largest we have seen for the trooping) and had she waited an hour to get out on the balcony, then there had been jubilee/wedding size on the crowds.

They are of course much smaller today on a non-milestone birthday, but there are (despite terror fears) lots of people in the mall.

3. HM and the Duke held a minute of silence before they departed Buckingham Palace.

4. Our amazing Queen has been praised (as usual) both yesterday and today and deservedly so by commentators/experts for the way she is now leading a nation in sorrow, while Theresa May is criticized as never before.

Last edited:
From the Fail - their lead article:
The Queen sends a solemn birthday message | Daily Mail Online
'Put to the test, the UK has been resolute in the face of adversity': Queen issues solemn 91st birthday message to reflect 'sombre national mood' as the royal family gather for Trooping the Colour

Queen sent solemn birthday message to nation asking people to be 'resolute in the face of adversity'

She said it was 'difficult to escape a very sombre national mood' after a succession of terrible tragedies

Her Majesty spoke of visiting Grenfell Tower residents on Friday and Manchester bombing victims

The Queen has said the country should be 'resolute in the face of adversity' following a succession of tragedies as she marks her official birthday with the Trooping the Colour today.

In her birthday message she said it was 'difficult to escape a very sombre mood' in the UK after recent suffering in London and Manchester.

Security was tight around Buckingham Palace and the Mall as the final preparations for the annual celebration started this morning.

The Monarch arrived in an open horse drawn carriage with Prince Philip by her side as thousands turned out to watch the spectacle of might, splendour and precision.

This article is likely to be updated and changed.

Picture from the DF:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/06/17/12/article-4612948-417D4B2900000578-313_964x498.jpg

Last edited:
1. For those who are watching Trooping the Colour, you will see something strange. The Queen has always waved and smiled when she has been sitting in open carriages/open cars for her Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilees and on other occasions as milestone birthdays etc.

But never during the Trooping, then she's just sitting seriously in the carriage and almost never waves. My grandfather thinks it has something to do with that she used to ride herself.

While reading this, my first thoughts were that during this ceremonial occasion, she isn't just on display for the people and would wave and acknowledge them but she's there in the capacity of being the monarch inspecting the troops as they present their colors. Its a role that totally separates her personal role as Queen and the figurehead of being the Crown that the military units pledge their service to.

That's my take on it anyways but then again, what do I know? :whistling:

While reading this, my first thoughts were that during this ceremonial occasion, she isn't just on display for the people and would wave and acknowledge them but she's there in the capacity of being the monarch inspecting the troops as they present their colors. Its a role that totally separates her personal role as Queen and the figurehead of being the Crown that the military units pledge their service to.

That's my take on it anyways but then again, what do I know? :whistling:
Agree! And I think that's what my British grandfather meant.

Her Majesty is now on her way back to the palace.

Edit As I said in post 1349, many people in the mall.

Edit Robert Hardman is in the studio.

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks Muhler! The link doen't work here in Norway, but I have access to Danish channels so (thanks to you) I can now see the pictures from DR1 on the TV - while I hear the Brtitish commentary from the tvpc link.

You are welcome. :)

You wouldn't have missed much turning up the sound to DR1 though. The commentators are Christian Eugen Olsen, former Master of Ceremonies of the DRF, and ex-officer along with a historian. - And they know what they are talking about! It's a pleasure to listen to.

I always enjoy watching the deployments of the guards battalions. It's rare nowadays to see heavy infantry of the line form up as they would have from around 1750-1865.

Where is Sophie Wessex ? I didn't see her in the pictures.

Sophie wasn't in the carriages and neither were her children. Edward was with the Yorks. Perhaps she is unwell.

Nice to see Savannah and Isla on the balcony, although I would have liked to see James with them as he seems to get on well with the girls.

Last edited:
You are welcome. :)

You wouldn't have missed much turning up the sound to DR1 though. The commentators are Christian Eugen Olsen, former Master of Ceremonies of the DRF, and ex-officer along with a historian. - And they know what they are talking about! It's a pleasure to listen to.

I always enjoy watching the deployments of the guards battalions. It's rare nowadays to see heavy infantry of the line form up as they would have from around 1750-1865.
I Agree! And I really like to listen to him too (for Danish celebrations), but I just love the way the BBC does it when it comes to BRF events.

The crowds is now taken up to the palace.

Edit Huw Edwards is mentioning the impressive sight in the mall - big Crowds.

Edit BBC-video tribute to Philip.

Edit HM, The Queen and the royal family is coming out on the balcony.

Edit George and Charlotte on the balcony - they wave to crowds.

Edit Many people are still in the mall - not so many up at the palace.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom