Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
James and Louise both look like Edward, I think. But I thought he looked a little lost out there. Is this the first time on a balcony appearance? And without his parents.

There is no doubting Louise's father but James has some of Sophie's features. Photos of her as a child show his resemblance to Sophie - he even has her dimples. He was on the balcony in 2013 with Edward and Sophie but this time he was without his parents. He looked perplexed by it all but it was nice that the Queen encouraged Louise and James to come onto the balcony with them as they were without their parents.

To me it looks Lady Elizabeth Georgiana Shakerley née Anson, daughter of the 4th Earl of Lichfield and of Lady Anne Bowes-Lyon—cousin of Queen Elizabeth II—who later became Princess Anne of Denmark. Usually she dyes her hair but now seems grey. (Lady Elizabeth was one of Queen Beatrix' bridesmaids and is still one of her oldest and best foreign friends). Lady Elizabeth has aged quite quickly since the death of her husband Sir Geoffrey, the 6th Baronet Shakerley...

Last edited:
Best I cold find of the rest of the family....

Lady Helen and daughters: Lady Helen Taylor with Eloise Taylor and Estella Taylor during the... News Photo | Getty Images
Princess Michael and family (same hat/outfit as last year I believe, and Lady Gabriella in a great hat IMHO) Princess Michael of Kent during the annual Trooping The Colour... News Photo | Getty Images
Wider shot with Lady Louise and Helen's girls at right (glum faces) Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip, Duke of... News Photo | Getty Images
The Gloucesters (see her brooch pair!) Birgitte, Duchess of Gloucester and Prince Edward, Duke of Kent takes... News Photo | Getty Images

Were Peter Phillips and his wife Autumn at Trooping the Colour yesterday? I don't recall seeing them on the balcony? Were they not invited?

Were Peter Phillips and his wife Autumn at Trooping the Colour yesterday? I don't recall seeing them on the balcony? Were they not invited?

We never know who is "invited" but since it is a birthday party of sorts and is one of the child friendly events for the family it tends to be whomever can fit it in.

One really fun way to learn about Trooping is to go to Getty images and look at past years - to see who comes and goes, year to year.

And I don't think they were there (Zara either).

Best I cold find of the rest of the family....

Lady Helen and daughters: Lady Helen Taylor with Eloise Taylor and Estella Taylor during the... News Photo | Getty Images
Princess Michael and family (same hat/outfit as last year I believe, and Lady Gabriella in a great hat IMHO) Princess Michael of Kent during the annual Trooping The Colour... News Photo | Getty Images
Wider shot with Lady Louise and Helen's girls at right (glum faces) Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip, Duke of... News Photo | Getty Images
The Gloucesters (see her brooch pair!) Birgitte, Duchess of Gloucester and Prince Edward, Duke of Kent takes... News Photo | Getty Images
Great photos.BTW Edward typically was riding with Charles, Anne and William in prior years. Is this the first time that he's ridden in a carriage?

My two cents.

Strange that Louise and James were not on the balcony with the group before the Queen arrived?

Strange that William decided to displaced Charles and stand next to the Queen.
It is usually male female male female for the main line.
It is usually Camilla Charles Queen Philip Kate William or Kate William Sophie Edward Queen Philip Camilla Charles or Camilla Charles Queen Philip Harry Kate William (when Philip wants Harry next to him). Even in 2013 when Philip was not there Andrew replaced him and the group line up was Camilla Charles Queen Andrew Kate William.

We never know who is "invited" but since it is a birthday party of sorts and is one of the child friendly events for the family it tends to be whomever can fit it in.

One really fun way to learn about Trooping is to go to Getty images and look at past years - to see who comes and goes, year to year.

And I don't think they were there (Zara either).

No, I didn't spot the Phillipses or the Tindalls either. Has Zara ever been on the balcony as an adult? I know Peter has but I can't recall if Zara has because I've never seen Mike on the balcony. At first I thought the little girl with George behind the window was Savannah, until I noticed Peter wasn't there and read that she is possibly Lady Cosima Windsor.

Viscount Linley and his sister Lady Sarah Chatto and their families were also "regulars" on the balcony but it seems that the last time they attended was in 2011. I've also noticed that they didn't attend the Easter service either though but they did attend Christmas at Sandringham (IIRC).

Great photos.BTW Edward typically was riding with Charles, Anne and William in prior years. Is this the first time that he's ridden in a carriage?
No, I think it was his third time. He was with the queen in one carriage when Prince Philip was in hospital.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity- does anyone know how old Prince William was when he first rode in the carriages for trooping the color? I was wondering earlier if he ever did as child/teen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

My two cents.

Strange that Louise and James were not on the balcony with the group before the Queen arrived?

Strange that William decided to displaced Charles and stand next to the Queen.

It is usually male female male female for the main line.
It is usually Camilla Charles Queen Philip Kate William or Kate William Sophie Edward Queen Philip Camilla Charles or Camilla Charles Queen Philip Harry Kate William (when Philip wants Harry next to him). Even in 2013 when Philip was not there Andrew replaced him and the group line up was Camilla Charles Queen Andrew Kate William.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're referring to, but the family doesn't assemble on the balcony prior to the Queen. As can be seen in the video, most of the family is gathered behind the Queen and comes out after her - although, they also open the two side doors onto the balcony at the same time, so people every one emerges more or less simultaneously, and then they take their time arranging themselves. Obviously there's a general order in which they stand (with those highest up in the line of succession standing closest to the Queen), but it's not a super-strict lineup, as obviously people shuffle around just during the one balcony appearance, not to mention from one year to the next. I think the fact that the Queen had James standing front and center on the balcony this year rather illustrates that it's a bit flexible.

Also, it didn't look to me like William displaced Charles it all; it looked like Charles intentionally left some room for William and George to stand between him and the Queen (perhaps so that people could get a nice shot of the four generations standing together). William didn't exactly elbow his way out there.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're referring to, but the family doesn't assemble on the balcony prior to the Queen.

There are two assemblies on the balcony:

The first is when some of the more senior members of the family assemble while the Queen takes the salute outside the gates of BP - the colonels etc who have ridden back are still entering BP when this happens. When the Queen leaves the saluting dias those on the balcony go back inside and then everyone comes out with HM.

During the first assemble there was Camilla, Kate, Beatrice, Eugenie and Andrew at least.

There are two assemblies on the balcony:

The first is when some of the more senior members of the family assemble while the Queen takes the salute outside the gates of BP - the colonels etc who have ridden back are still entering BP when this happens. When the Queen leaves the saluting dias those on the balcony go back inside and then everyone comes out with HM.

During the first assemble there was Camilla, Kate, Beatrice, Eugenie and Andrew at least.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I've been there for the Trooping balcony appearance before, but I only remember the one (larger) appearance, and that's what I saw in the video clips posted from yesterday. There are so many elements to Trooping that sometimes it's hard to know what's someone's referring to (or maybe that's just a personal issue for me :lol:).

No, I think it was his third time. He was with the queen in one carriage when Prince Philip was in hospital.

Thank you!

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're referring to, but the family doesn't assemble on the balcony prior to the Queen. As can be seen in the video, most of the family is gathered behind the Queen and comes out after her - although, they also open the two side doors onto the balcony at the same time, so people every one emerges more or less simultaneously, and then they take their time arranging themselves. Obviously there's a general order in which they stand (with those highest up in the line of succession standing closest to the Queen), but it's not a super-strict lineup, as obviously people shuffle around just during the one balcony appearance, not to mention from one year to the next. I think the fact that the Queen had James standing front and center on the balcony this year rather illustrates that it's a bit flexible.

Also, it didn't look to me like William displaced Charles it all; it looked like Charles intentionally left some room for William and George to stand between him and the Queen (perhaps so that people could get a nice shot of the four generations standing together). William didn't exactly elbow his way out there.

I agree with what your saying Isabella. Besides William may have opted to be closer to a door if George had been frightened by the sounds of the planes or the crowd. That way there could be a quick hand off if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiosity- does anyone know how old Prince William was when he first rode in the carriages for trooping the color? I was wondering earlier if he ever did as child/teen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The earliest photos I can find are from 1987, so it appears he was about to turn 5 when he first rode in the carriages for Trooping.

The earliest photos I can find are from 1987, so it appears he was about to turn 5 when he first rode in the carriages for Trooping.

Thank you! I'm hoping since George's first balcony appearance was at the same age as William's, his first carriage ride might be around the same time frame as well.

:previous: You're welcome! I think they will probably follow the same schedule. So we have a few years till his first carriage ride, but at least we'll get photos of him on the balcony.

Yep. Also when they step on the balcony, Prince Andrew gestures to either William or Harry and asks if they want to stand in the empty space next to Charles. So it appears Charles intentionally left a space for someone.

I read that also but I'm not convinced it is the same. William's shirt was white with more ruffles. George's was blue with fewer ruffles. Unless my color was off....

It’s been confirmed by KP. They tweeted that George’s outfit was the one William wore to the Trooping in 1984.

Obviously there's a general order in which they stand (with those highest up in the line of succession standing closest to the Queen), but it's not a super-strict lineup, as obviously people shuffle around just during the one balcony appearance, not to mention from one year to the next. I think the fact that the Queen had James standing front and center on the balcony this year rather illustrates that it's a bit flexible.

There is an order to the gathering. Tim and Ann moved up and stood in Wessex spot.

James is in the front because he is a child. Children do not count in the male female male female order.

William and Kate should have been standing where Louise stood.

It was William who wanted the picture with the monarch. He wanted George to be the center of attention, that is why he changed George's clothes and stood next to the Queen.

The empty stop was for Louise so that the parentless children would flank the Queen.

Last edited:
I doubt the space was for Louise. If it were, Andrew wouldn't have told William (or Harry) to stand there.

I don't know Queen Camilla...did you hear William say he wanted to be in the picture with the monarch and that he wanted George to be the center of attention?

If you can assume and guess then so can others.

LaRae

George would have been the center of attention no matter where William stood.

There is an order to the gathering. Tim and Ann moved up and stood in Wessex spot.

James is in the front because he is a child. Children do not count in the male female male female order.

William and Kate should have been standing where Louise stood.

It was William who wanted the picture with the monarch. He wanted George to be the center of attention, that is why he changed George's clothes and stood next to the Queen.

The empty stop was for Louise so that the parentless children would flank the Queen.

I can't pretend to read people's minds, but I can recommend watching the video. In it, you can see that Louise walks out onto the balcony ahead of Charles, and goes to stand on the other side of the Queen. Charles clearly leaves an empty spot between him and the Queen, and you can see Andrew encouraging William or Harry to stand there. My guess would be that Charles left it for William and George to stand there (as he certainly seemed happy to have his son and grandson standing there, and gave no indication of being "displaced.")

I would also assume that George's wardrobe change was pre-planned - they probably didn't want him spending all morning in an outfit that's an heirloom, as he could quite easily have gotten it dirty before he made it on to the balcony. George would've been the center of attention no matter where he stood, and William actually seems to hang back a bit before Andrew indicated that he could go there.

You seem to be reading a lot of motives in what seemed to be a fairly fluid arrangement. And, yes, there's a general order in which the family stands, but if you look at pictures from year to year, you can see that there are slight variations, which I'm sure are due to a variety of reasons: you don't have the same exact people every year, or sometimes some people tend to hang back, or perhaps they might move closer to someone they're speaking to. It's not a rigid military formation.

Did anyone actually hear Andrew's words?

No, but Andrew does point to the space and says something to Harry and William. After that, Harry moves into the space and then steps back a few minutes later.

If William really was desperate to be next to the Queen, he would have immediately taken the space. Instead he continues to stand behind the Queen (he's talking and pointing things out to George), until it appears Charles says something to him and at that point he moves up.

Last edited:
George would have been the center of attention no matter where William stood.

exactly. and the photo everyone wanted was the 4 generations. Andrew, Kate and Harry all hung back to let William and George stand between his father and grandmother.

Back
Top Bottom