Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mark Stewart ‏@RegalEyes 25m
Buckingham Palace looking splendid in the sunshine ahead of Trooping the Colour which marks HM's official birthday. pic.twitter.com/6WtfO3rXtl

My saturday morning well spent, I'll be screen shotting as fast as I can!

In attendance this morning we have;

- HM The Queen, The Duke of Kent
- Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall
- The Duke and The Duchess of Cambridge
- Prince Henry

Mark Stewart ‏@RegalEyes 3m
The Duchess of Cambridge has arrived at Buckingham Palace with the Duke of Cambridge & Pr Harry in a light coloured coat with large collar.

GettyImages gallery will be updated - 4 pics so far;
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=170731628&EditorialProduct=Royalty

Last edited:
Carriage 1 = Camilla (in cream), Catherine (in pink) and Henry ride together.

Carriage 2 = Prince Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie

Carriage 3 = The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Lady Louise Windsor

The Queen (royal blue) accompanied by The Duke of Kent in the glass coach!!

Attachments

• trooping.jpg
    trooping.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 222
  • queen.jpg
    queen.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
That shade of pale pink is beautiful on the Duchess of Cambridge.

I think the Queens hat looks beautiful from what I've seen so far.

Doesn't the Queen usually travel in an open carriage or am I getting it mixed up with another event?

Yes, it's usually open. Last year she also went in the Glass Coach, though, because of unpredictable weather. They showed the dais sitting off to the side earlier, and there was a canopy on it that's not always there.

It's windy but it's sunny in London at the moment, the glass coach is puzzingly for me.

Lovely to see the sun is currently shining - the Mall looks wonderful. I can understand caution with regard to the Queen's carriage being closed as showers are forecast. How nice to see the Duke of Kent travelling with the Queen - the perfect solution.

I have to say the Duke of Kent accompanying the Queen works perfectly, it would have been disheartening to see the Queen travelling by herself.

Some interesting information from BBC commentary- 48 pieces of music played during the ceremony

The colour of the Queen's outfit is very striking set against the red uniforms. A lovely choice.

The Queen is passing by the crowds and I just love seeing every military man salute and she drives past!

I dont like using glass coach. Last year it was understandable, since the Duke of Edinburgh was prone to sickness. Why this year..It will be disappointing to the crowds not to get a good view of the Queen.
I guess this arrangement has become permanent and they will always come in a glass coach.

Let's not forget that The Queen herself has been ill this year so this could easily be a precaution for her and/or the Duke of Kent who has also been ill with a stroke this year.

I am sure that, as much as The Queen would have preferred having Philip with her, she will be quite happy with her cousin Edward, one of the few people who would probably still call her 'Lilibet' considering he is the only other grandchild of George V still alive now who was born during his reign. There are other grandchildren still alive - Alexandra, Richard and Michael - but they were born in George VI's reign.

I dont like using glass coach. Last year it was understandable, since the Duke of Edinburgh was prone to sickness. Why this year..It will be disappointing to the crowds not to get a good view of the Queen.
I guess this arrangement has become permanent and they will always come in a glass coach.

I don't think this is necessarily so. As I noted, showers are expected ( these can be very heavy downpours when they come) and the weather is quite chilly. If it was a guaranteed warm sunny day, I'm sure the carriage would be open.

I am sure that, as much as The Queen would have preferred having Philip with her, she will be quite happy with her cousin Edward, one of the few people who would probably still call her 'Lilibet' considering he is the only other grandchild of George V still alive now who was born during his reign. There are other grandchildren still alive - Alexandra, Richard and Michael - but they were born in George VI's reign.

Exactly, in our central-line-focussed royal watching, we simply tend to push people to obscure outer side,always prioritising and romanticising only "senior" royals of the day. Even I am sure the Queen is glad and proud to have this good old loyal and devoted Eddie with her.
Though I imagine many people wondering.." Hey who s that guy..Duke of what...Where the hell did he come from..":bang:

Last edited:
Exactly, in our central-line-focussed royal watching, we simply tend to push people to obscure outer side,always prioritising and romanticising only "senior" royals of the day. Even I am sure the Queen is glad and proud to have her loyal and devoted cousin with her.
Though I imagine many people wondering.." Hey who s that guy..Duke of what...Who the hell is he..":bang:

I believe the Duke of Kent is only one of two people still alive who actually swore allegiance in person to The Queen at her Coronation - the other being Philip. He followed Philip and the Duke of Gloucester (father of the present Duke) as the third royal duke at the time.

Hopefully the carriage is just because of the weather, or possible, weather because I do think its a shame if the glass coach becomes a permanent fixture. However if its to ensure the health or comfort of the Queen and DoE then its understandable if not a little disapointing.

:previous: These headlines amuse me so much.
Its as if no one looks at it unless the word "pregnant Kate Middleton" or "Prince Harry" is there in the title..:bang:

The mounted bands and horse guards are about to participate - an impressive part of the parade. BBC commentary noted last year one of the horses had to be removed from the parade as he was stung by a bee.

Exactly, in our central-line-focussed royal watching, we simply tend to push people to obscure outer side,always prioritising and romanticising only "senior" royals of the day. Even I am sure the Queen is glad and proud to have this good old loyal and devoted Eddie with her.
Though I imagine many people wondering.." Hey who s that guy..Duke of what...Where the hell did he come from..":bang:

THe Duke of Kent would have been present anyway. It is a great compromise seeing that he has been advised not to ride following his stroke earlier this year.

As for "old" Eddie, he is younger that the Queen ;)

Are there any women amongst the participants?

I keep looking and hoping to identify a woman on parade- other than the Princess Royal.

I keep looking and hoping to identify a woman on parade- other than the Princess Royal.

There are women in the Kings Troop and I also spotted women musicians.

Back
Top Bottom