Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
William was invested in a private ceremony by The Queen according to the Court Circular. Once invested he can wear the order.

My guess is that once an award has been announced it's official. I've been noticing that Kenneth Branagh was being referred to as "Sir Kenneth" immediately after the Honors List announcement even tho the installation ceremony has not taken place.
William was invested in a private ceremony by The Queen according to the Court Circular. Once invested he can wear the order.

Thank you for your answers, MarNoe and NGalitzine. :)
I know the installation ceremony is private, but I wasn't aware Prince William's ceremony has already taken place.

it was nice to see lady Gabriella at the trooping of the color on the balcony i dont think she was at any of the diamond jubilee celebrations

Thank you for your answers, MarNoe and NGalitzine. :)
I know the installation ceremony is private, but I wasn't aware Prince William's ceremony has already taken place.

The formal ceremony has not taken place yet - this is from the Royal website

Thursday 5th July
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh
accompanied by The Princess Royal and The Countess of Strathearn, will attend a Thistle Service at St Giles’ Cathedral, Edinburgh for the installation of The Prince William, Earl of Strathearn, as a Knight of the Thistle and attend a lunch as guests of the Knights of the Thistle

The Court Circular of the 15th June states that the Queen received the Duke of Cambridge where she invested him......Order of the Thistle

Thank you, cepe. :flowers:
I appreciate all the informative and polite replies; thank you all.
I wonder just how the private installation ceremony went; presumably, it was far more informal than the official ones (I doubt William wore the robes, for instance).

Its the precise meaning of "invest" and "install" which are at the heart of this. The Queen invests him and then there is the religious element of the process along with the robing etc which forms the "installation".

With the awarding of something like the Thistle it is a three stage process:

1. The awarding of the honour
2. The investing with the insignia - including the robes etc
3. The installing in the order chapel.

#1 and 2 have been done and #3 is coming up in a couple of weeks.

The investiture would have been quite a formal event as it was an investiture of a person with an honour and therefore would have been no less formal than any other person's investiture with any honour - certainly no less formal than Zara's investiture a few years ago and she didn't get another knighthood. The difference was that it was private not a mass event.

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't that a tad unusual for Orders of Chivalry? I know that the Garter is only ever invested each year before all the other members on Garter Day before they all march down to St. George's Chapel, or is the Thistle different?

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't that a tad unusual for Orders of Chivalry? I know that the Garter is only ever invested each year before all the other members on Garter Day before they all march down to St. George's Chapel, or is the Thistle different?

Knights and ladies of the Garter get two investitures as well (the Court Circular uses the word "invested" for both). The first is a private audience with the Queen.

From the court circular of May 5th 2008:

"The Queen this afternoon conferred upon Prince William of Wales the honour of Knighthood and invested His Royal Highness with the Insignia of a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter"

And then on June 16th 2008:

"Her Majesty invested Prince William of Wales, the Lord Luce and Sir Thomas Dunne with the Insignia of Knights Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter."

The other two also had their own private investitures on other days.

Last edited:
Re- watching the highlights and just caught a lovely glimpse of HM taping her feet to the music, Camilla was clapping along in the window as well. I love the personal glimpses we get at these events. But thing I always hate is when commentary interrupts the music, especially Claire Balding's horse commentary!

Last edited:
Sophie, Countess of Wessex was on the balcony. Several pictures of her.

Look up Zimbo blog - kate middleton photostream The trooping of the Colour 2012 pictures 98-234 particulary 110 111 112 113 114 115 for Sophie, Countess of Wessex. Princess Michael of Kent is best seen in the group shots on balcony, remember to click on zoom to get a closer look, pictures save really well.

What is the criteria for riding in the Trooping of the Colour vs. riding in a carriage? Why do Charles and William ride horses but Andrew, Edward and Harry do not? Also, I wondered why Tim Laurence, who is truely retired from the military, did not wear a uniform but Anne did. I know Anne has honorary appointments so I'm not bothered that she wears a uniform. Just curious why Tim chose not to.

Last edited:
It's because Charles and William are colonels of regiments that take part in the Trooping. I know William is an honorary colonel of the Irish Guards. I can't remember off the top of my head what regiment Charles belongs to. Philip, Anne, and the Duke of Kent are the other three honorary colonels who get to ride on horseback, though Philip chooses these days to ride in a phaeton with the Queen.

The ones who ride at the Trooping the Colour are the honourary colonels of the regiments of the Household Guard such as William and the Irish Guards.

Andrew, who is an Honourary Colonel of some regiments doesn't ride because his regiments aren't in the Household Guard.

Edward is the Honourary Colonel of The London Regiment and so rides.

Last edited:
It's because Charles and William are colonels of regiments that take part in the Trooping. I know William is an honorary colonel of the Irish Guards. I can't remember off the top of my head what regiment Charles belongs to. Philip, Anne, and the Duke of Kent are the other three honorary colonels who get to ride on horseback, though Philip chooses these days to ride in a phaeton with the Queen.

William is honorary colonel of the Irish Guards, Charles the Welsh Guards, the Duke of Kent has the Scots Guards, Prince Philip the Grenadiers and Princess Anne the Blues and Royals.

Hi I have some questions regarding Princess Royal at Trooping:

1.Why doesnt she ride side-saddle at Trooping? Since the Queen always rode so..But ironically when the Queen herself rode behind the King in 1950, she also rode astride..Only since 1951(she started leading then) she rode sidesaddle.
2.Is it true that Gold Stick will be rotated between different household regiments like Household Cavalry, Lifeguards etc.? Then when will Princess Royal's term ends? When did she start riding at Trooping actually?
3.Are only blood-royals given the crucial Household Colonel ranks? I dont think a Princess of Wales or a monarch's son-in-law can ride behind the sovereign right? Just like at Remembrance..There is strict restriction only for blood royals? DoE also rode since accession. Others are permitted to Balcony..
Because in 1950 and 1951, when Princess Elizabeth rode, Philip DID NOT. He began only in 1952..

:previous:Similarly, the awarding of highest orders like garter, Thistle also seem only for blood royals, except consorts? It is done that way..
1.Household Colonels (Riding behind Queen)
2.Laying wreath at centanoph
3.Receiving Heads of States
4.Order of Garter/Thistle
All these seem to be exclusively for blood-royals, or consorts.
Have son/Daughters-in-law ever given these chances/honours? I guess not even the Princess of Wales gets these. D-I-Ls maybe Colonel-in-Chief, but for some other regiments I guess..
Princess Alice was given the highesy honour for an 'outsider'- Order of Bath. Nothing more..Can they be given much higher honours if the monarch feels they have done extreme service?
Please share some info on these things..

You do not have to be a royal to be appointed a Colonel of one of the Household regiments. Field Marshal Earl Alexander of Tunis, former GG of Canada, was Colonel of the Irish Guards from 1946 until his death
Also you do not need to be a royal to be a KG or KT, infact most of them are not. In the Garter royals are considered Extra knights not regular Kinghts Companion.
I believe Princess Mary's husband the Earl of Harewood used to ride behind the his father in law on parade. Earl Mountbatten of Burma (distantly royal I guess) definitely rode in parades.

Ok I know about Lord Mountbatten and even Prince of Leichtenstein (The Present Prince's dad) riding behind the Queen. I am asking about the present years. Maybe since the Queen herself has enough kids/grandkids/cousins, she must have restricted them to blood royals.
And what about riding side-saddle? Please read my previous 2 posts.. I have a few questions..

Similarly, the awarding of highest orders like garter, Thistle also seem only for blood royals, except consorts? It is done that way..
There are four categories the Order of Garter is awarded in three "categories" - Royal Knights and Ladies, Stranger Knights and Ladies, Knights and Ladies Companion, and Members ex officio.

- Members ex officio are the Sovereign and the Prince of Wales.
- Knights and Ladies Companion are "ordinary", non-royal members.
- Stranger Knights and Ladies are foreign royals (the last Stranger Knight was created in 2001 and is King Harald of Norway)
- Royal Knights and Ladies are members of the British Royal Family by birth (in about 99% of cases) and marriage. Prince Philip has been created a Knight of the Order of Garter as member of the British Royal Family (the Sovereign's consort), and not a born royal: if the latter had been the case, Philip would have been made Stranger Knight.

You are, however, right the Royal Knights and Ladies exclusively consist of British Royals by birth or consorts of the Sovereign. In all the centuries the Order has existed, I am not aware of a single case when a consort of anyone but the Sovereign (or future Sovereign) had been created a Knight or Lady of the Garter.

Last edited:
vkrish

This thread is for the trooping of the colour. There are threads for all your areas of interest and the answers are on the threads. It is confusing if we wander from the thread subject.

At this years Trooping the Colur, in the end they showed a clip from 38:eek:o min the Queen at Trooping over the years since her accession. I badly wish someone will make a a separate video of that clip and pit in Youtube. I would have done that, but I dont know.. It will be awesome video..
Trooping the Colour - Part 3/3 - June 2012 - YouTube
See from 38:00
Also, the commentator made the silly terrible mistake of calling Lady Louise at the Queen's greatgrand-daughter..:bang:at 45:30.
Somehow I am not happy how the commentators are covering royal events, compared to those olden-days guys..They hesitate for a few seconds before even naming the royals, they dont appear sure of their names also..

Last edited:
At this years Trooping the Colur, in the end they showed a clip from 38:eek:o min the Queen at Trooping over the years since her accession. I badly wish someone will make a a separate video of that clip and pit in Youtube. I would have done that, but I dont know.. It will be awesome video..
Hi, Vkrish! Someone already did :
Queen - Trooping the Colour 60 Years - YouTube
I loved it too when I saw it! It's really well done.

- Royal Knights and Ladies are members of the British Royal Family by birth (in about 99% of cases) and marriage. Prince Philip has been created a Knight of the Order of Garter as member of the British Royal Family (the Sovereign's consort), and not a born royal: if the latter had been the case, Philip would have been made Stranger Knight.

You are, however, right the Royal Knights and Ladies exclusively consist of British Royals by birth or consorts of the Sovereign. In all the centuries the Order has existed, I am not aware of a single case when a consort of anyone but the Sovereign (or future Sovereign) had been created a Knight or Lady of the Garter.

Ya this is what i wanted. Thanks, Artemisia. If possible please answer my first 2 questions in post 221.
Ok cepe, I wont cross the topic..:whistling:
And alpa, I am 'delighted' at this video..too bad i missed it

I suspect you meant Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg not the Prince of Liechtenstein, but the fact remains that HM can appoint anyone she wants to be Colonel of the regiments when there are vacancies which is what you initially asked.
Philip started riding at trooping of the clour when became Colonel of the Grendiers which was after his wife came to the throne. Before that he was a serving naval officer.
I suppose for riding sidesaddle Anne simply doesn't want to and HM approved since its not a requirement. Probably would be considered terribly old fashioned now anyway.
People other than the royals do lay wreaths at the Cenotaph.....chiefs of defence staff for example.
When heads of state arrive in the UK they are not always greeted by a member of the royal family. Sometimes it is a senior member of the household who brings them to a place where a member of the RF may greet them and then they bring them to where HM can greet them and ride in state to BP or Windsor. During last years Jubilee luncheon it was frequently the Lords Lieutenant of London or Berkshire who were at the airport to greet the foreign monarch and later see them off.

Hi I have some questions regarding Princess Royal at Trooping:

1.Why doesnt she ride side-saddle at Trooping? Since the Queen always rode so..But ironically when the Queen herself rode behind the King in 1950, she also rode astride..Only since 1951(she started leading then) she rode sidesaddle.

I assume it's because until she personally led the ceremony, she was there just as a daughter of the King and rode as most women back then did - in side-saddle. Once she became the Sovereign, she led the procession and was there as Head of the Armed Forces.

2.Is it true that Gold Stick will be rotated between different household regiments like Household Cavalry, Lifeguards etc.? Then when will Princess Royal's term ends? When did she start riding at Trooping actually?
Yes, it's true. The position of Gold Stick is rotated on a monthly roster system. The Colonels of the Regiments who do not hold the position in that particular month are called Gold Stick-in-Waiting. The position of Silver Stick used to be rotated as well between lieutenant-colonels; however, now the position is permanently held by the Colonel Commander Household Cavalry.
In this picture, you can actually see the Gold and Silver Sticks-in-Waiting, including Princess Anne, holding their ceremonial sticks.

3.Are only blood-royals given the crucial Household Colonel ranks? I dont think a Princess of Wales or a monarch's son-in-law can ride behind the sovereign right? Just like at Remembrance..There is strict restriction only for blood royals? DoE also rode since accession. Others are permitted to Balcony..[/QUOTE]
Yes and no. All seven septem juncta in uno regiments that form the Household Division have the Queen as their Colonel-in-Chief.

In addition, only royals by birth* are Colonels-in-Chief of Cavalry Regiments (not just British Royals though: King Abdullah of Jordan is Colonel-in-Chief of The Light Dragoon).

The Infantry Regiments have non-royal Colonels-in-Chief: Colonel-in-Chief of The Royal Gibraltar Regiment is the Governor of Gibraltar. In addition, Queen Margrethe of Denmark is Colonels-in-Chief of The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (Queen's and Royal Hampshires).

The Colonels-in-Chief of Combat Support Regiments are all British Royals by birth.

The Colonels-in-Chief of Combat Service Support are all British Royals - by birth and marriage (Sophie is the Colonel-in-Chief of Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps, while the Duchess of Gloucester is the Colonel-in-Chief of Royal Army Dental Corpse).

* I don't specifically separate Prince Philip because although he is not British Royal by birth, he is the Sovereign's Consort.

Is 2001 the only year it rained during Trooping I remember seeing a pic long back of the Queen riding on horse-back in heavy rain during Trooping..I wish they could have includud that video in the clip..It would be awespome..Anyways, a great video..never get tired of watching this. I love the background music and commentary also, especially the olden days..

Back
Top Bottom