Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is only one Royal Salute given during the ceremony, that is at the beginning, although there is a second salute, which is called the general salute.

Being present at the ceremony I can quote from the Programme, issued with Her Majesty's gracious permission, that at the very end of The Queen's Birthday Parade Her Majesty was given a Royal Salute and The National Anthem was played as part of that ROYAL Salute.

Being present at the ceremony I can quote from the Programme, issued with Her Majesty's gracious permission, that at the very end of The Queen's Birthday Parade Her Majesty was given a Royal Salute and The National Anthem was played as part of that ROYAL Salute.
Also having been present at the ceremony, this year and in the past, normally through family members taking part, I refer you to this CD. :rolleyes:
Amazon.co.uk: The Royal Salute: Music: Anonymous,Thomas Arne,Sir Edward Elgar,George Frideric Handel,Colin J Reeves,Life Guard Band, as you can see, that is what the tune is called!

Also having been present at the ceremony, this year and in the past, normally through family members taking part, I refer you to this CD. :rolleyes:
Amazon.co.uk: The Royal Salute: Music: Anonymous,Thomas Arne,Sir Edward Elgar,George Frideric Handel,Colin J Reeves,Life Guard Band, as you can see, that is what the tune is called!

I agree that there is a Royal Salute(the Royal Salute you refer to is a fanfare not a tune), however (and I quote) from the 2007 programme "After the mounted regiments have ridden past, The National Anthem is played once more as Her Majesty receives a final Royal Salute.*"

The Star indicates that all should stand.

The Queen also received a Royal Salute at the Beginning of the Parade.

Last edited:
As I said, having been there on more than one occasion, I cannot agree with you. When HM rode she gave and received the salute once only.

When the tune known as the Royal Salute (National Anthem) is played, you are expected to stand, whether that is in the theatre or anywhere else.

Royal Insight > Out and About > Trooping the Colour

We can go on and on about this and other ceremonies that we have personal knowledge of, I am not going to convince you and you are not going to convince me. As with almost all military parades, the reviewing officer only takes the salute once, although there are other salutes within this parade, all called royal salutes (except saluting the colour).

Edited to add the following

I, my husband, son's and all the links I posted all got it wrong, HM takes umpteen Royal Salutes and the first is just one of many, which is obviously why only the one is mentioned.
The reviewing officer on parades also takes more than one salute and the MOD has also got it wrong.
They clearly all need writing to, so that they are able to correct these universal & horrific mistakes! :bang:

Last edited:
The flags are flying at half mast.
Having had the opportunity to watch the whole parade again on DVD, I would like to apologize for arguing about how many royal salutes are given during this parade.
My only excuse is inattention and just like everyone else we are keen to be where we are supposed to, before everyone taking part reaches his or her destination. I would also like to apologise for taking Mr S and the dragonets names in vain.
However, I am not quite ready to fall on my sword yet.

Bah, excuse nothing. Don't even think about drawing your sword ma'am, one should only do that in defence of Her Majesty!

Thanks, I knew the programme would not be wrong, Buckingham Palace is never wrong.

Wow!Sophie's hat is extremely big, and like those dated back in the 17th or 18th centuries! Look interesting though. The Duchess of Gloucester's hair is so long now, and in some way, i'm not sure, she looks like tennis player Chris Evert to me. So the York girls are not there?I believe there are only 2 open carriages. Great to see Prince William in the Garter sash.

Picture details was there some sort of explosion on Camillas head she really has surpassed herself this time with the most inappropriate hat for the occassion - fine for Ascot but she should have had a proper hat on her head and not a hedge

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Picture details
Picture details

Balcony pics
Picture details
Picture details
Picture details
Picture details
Picture details
Autumn and Peter Phillips ae on the balcony behind the Queen

Last edited:
Ouch grumpy day for HM today, looks tired too. The outfit is so so.
Great hat and outfit for Sophie for once. Not the best for the duchess of Gloucester.
Big hair, big hat, a delicious queenmotherish flavour...The DOC gets the palm imo :).
We do love exploded hats by the way...:lol:

it nearly beats the tree hat she wore after they were married at a garden party

mmm I really don't agree. I like the eccentric and fun notes of these feathered headpieces, she wears it with great panache and style imo. After that of couse it's a matter of taste....:flowers:

I see at last a smile on HM's face.... and pcess Michael took a very down to earth Jacky K outfit...

Last edited:
I do wish Camilla would give those damn "geese" a rest for a while...:ermm:

She has some gorgeous hats that I'd much rather see her wearing.

Where was the Prince of Wales during the parade, I only saw him on the balcony?
And I'm sorry Camilla, but I have to ask: Where does the hair end and the hat begin?? To me the whole thing just looks like one giant mess. Bird nest is indeed the word... Otherwise she looked just fine, and the Princes are so handsome!!

Why do William and Harry were uniform to this event? The only Royal men who ever wear uniform are those riding in the parade.

Why do William and Harry were uniform to this event? The only Royal men who ever wear uniform are those riding in the parade.

No,as they are both in the military at present,they have to wear their uniforms on official occasions like the one today.

When is Camilla ever going to wear that brids nest/hedge explosion thing again - a total waste of money imo you dont see the Queen splashing out on her Trooping the Colour outfits the one she wore today is quite a few years old, the Duchess Of Glouchester is also wearing an old outfit and even Sophie could wear her hat at an engagement but Camilla looks plain ridicolous. Did the Queen Mother ever wore stupid hats, did Princess Margaret, did Princess Diana (im starting the usual comparsion between Diana Camilla here im just trying to find an example to highlight my point) all other major royal ladies when attending the birthday pararde wore a simple hat befitting the occassion

When Prince Michael was a serving officer in the 1970's he wore morning dress to TTC as did Prince Andrew when he was a serving naval officer in the 80's it was only ever the Royal Colonels who wore military attire so I don't inderstand why William and Harry are wearing theirs.

P.S. I was hoping to see Lady Louise today. I wonder if she will ever come to TTC.

When is Camilla ever going to wear that brids nest/hedge explosion thing again - a total waste of money imo you dont see the Queen splashing out on her Trooping the Colour outfits the one she wore today is quite a few years old, the Duchess Of Glouchester is also wearing an old outfit and even Sophie could wear her hat at an engagement but Camilla looks plain ridicolous. Did the Queen Mother ever wore stupid hats, did Princess Margaret, did Princess Diana (im starting the usual comparsion between Diana Camilla here im just trying to find an example to highlight my point) all other major royal ladies when attending the birthday pararde wore a simple hat befitting the occassion

WOW my dear it's just a hat :eek:...Obviously you don't like :rolleyes:....but make such a tralala about it ;)

Speaking of "stupid hats", i' m sure to find some tasteful feathered mastepieces from the Queen Mother and Pcess Marge back to the glorious 70's and 80's, and even during trooping the colours....:D:D:D

I LOVE THESE EVENTS. thanks for the links
my first thought of the balcony photo is to paraphase a line from jaws "we're gonna need a bigger balcony"

how exciting for amber, i'm excited just seeing the photos. i love pomp, horses and uniforms and no one does it better than the UK.

they may need to remodel I Loved seeing William and Henry it appears William is a full Lieutenant

Wow you really don't like her hat do you? :lol: I'm sure she will wear it again, she seems to like this type of hat so it shouldn't be a problem for her to wear it at another hat occasion.

Last edited:
When Prince Michael was a serving officer in the 1970's he wore morning dress to TTC as did Prince Andrew when he was a serving naval officer in the 80's it was only ever the Royal Colonels who wore military attire so I don't inderstand why William and Harry are wearing theirs.

Perhaps it's because William and Harry are both in the Household Division?

Where was the Prince of Wales during the parade, I only saw him on the balcony?

On horseback to the right of the Queen while she was on the dais and just behind her while she was in the carriage.

I love Camilla's headpieces - they are not hats anymore than tiaras are hats. They are accessories and she looks lovely. I love the way they contribute to the total look of her. They are whimsical in a classic way and fits her personal style perfectly. Camilla has her very own style and carries it of splendidly.

Back
Top Bottom