Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I assume Prince Louis is too young for a balcony appearance?

Why can't he be in the carriage; isn't that exactly for those who don't have a role such as most ladies in the family? Those 'with a role' are typically on horse back unless they are to old and frail to do so.

Those riding doesn't have to do with age, but the position they hold. That is why Edward and Andrew, though young enough to ride don't. And why Harry will still not ride either.

Only those who are colonels in chief of a household regiment, ride in the parade. Andrew will ride for the first time this year, as he took over his father's role as the Colonel of the Grenadiers.

While Philip is no longer a colonel of the household regiments, he is still colonel of two regiments (he had 4, he gave up 2 to Andrew and Harry). He is still colonel of The Rifles and of The Highlanders.

Kate and the Duchess of Kent (and Louise) are the only royal women who aren't at least a royal colonel.

Four carriages-

The Queen and either Philip (possibly Duke of Kent if not)

second carriage-
Camilla
Kate
Harry
Megan
(Harry road last year with Camilla and Kate, will likely just add Meghan)

third carriage:
Wessex family

fourth carriage:
Beatrice
Eugenie
possibly Duke and Duchess of Gloucester

Andrew will join Charles, Anne and William riding this year.

I don't see George and his siblings until they get older.

The only way to solve it all is to have all the front players lined up in the front and everyone else off to the sides.

So Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward, as children of the monarch at the front with the Queen and grandchildren etc off to the side.

I like it:whistling:

Why is it a week earlier than usual this year? It's usually the Saturday before Ascot week.

No reason seems to have been announced, as you say it’s usually held on the Saturday between 11th-17th.

So Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward, as children of the monarch at the front with the Queen and grandchildren etc off to the side.

I like it:whistling:

Charles’ children and their wives are given precedence over the Queen’s younger children in more official events more often than not even if that’s not how the official order of precedence work.

The family has their own way of doing things I'm thinking...it seems to me Charles is taking a more prominent role the past couple of years, in how things are done. I'm not surprised really...due to the Queen's age and the fact he is the next Monarch. Any of his siblings who object aren't likely to get far with that.

LaRae

Trooping the Colour, since the 1950s normally takes place on the 2nd Saturday in June.

The Queens carriage which DoE used to travel in goes to inspect the troops - part of the procession of Colonels of the Regiments incl PoW, William, DoY (this year) etc.

It is separate from the carriages which have "observers" (Camilla, Catherine etc)

Thanks for the explanation. So, he cannot 'just' accompany his wife? Or alternatively be seated in the second carriage (which seems unlikely imo)?

If the reports of the DoE slipping and getting a cracked rib days ahead of Harry’s wedding are true, I’d imagine he’d avoid the carriage just for that reason alone.

Those riding doesn't have to do with age, but the position they hold. That is why Edward and Andrew, though young enough to ride don't. And why Harry will still not ride either.
For those colonels too old and frail to ride it does, that's what I was referring to. If not the queen, the duke of Edinburgh last until last year and duke of Kent would still be on horse back.

Only those who are colonels in chief of a household regiment, ride in the parade. Andrew will ride for the first time this year, as he took over his father's role as the Colonel of the Grenadiers.

While Philip is no longer a colonel of the household regiments, he is still colonel of two regiments (he had 4, he gave up 2 to Andrew and Harry). He is still colonel of The Rifles and of The Highlanders.

Kate and the Duchess of Kent (and Louise) are the only royal women who aren't at least a royal colonel.
I am not aware of any appointments for Beatrice and Eugenie. Of which regiments are they colonel-in-chief? And I'm quite sure Meghan isn't a colonel-in-chief either. And what about princess Michael. I sincerely doubt that she is colonel-in-chief.

Four carriages-

The Queen and either Philip (possibly Duke of Kent if not)

second carriage-
Camilla
Kate
Harry
Megan
(Harry road last year with Camilla and Kate, will likely just add Meghan)

third carriage:
Wessex family

fourth carriage:
Beatrice
Eugenie
possibly Duke and Duchess of Gloucester

Andrew will join Charles, Anne and William riding this year.

I don't see George and his siblings until they get older.
I fully agree ?

Thanks for the explanation. So, he cannot 'just' accompany his wife? Or alternatively be seated in the second carriage (which seems unlikely imo)?

Those that take part are Colonels of Guards Regiments only. That is why he has no specific role in the event.

Also I think he would want to stand back and let DoY be seen in his new role

And sitting outside for an hour doing nothing and as Jacqui24 said recovering from broken ribs and a fall is probably not a good idea for a man of his age.

But we might see him on the balcony.

I guess they will manage as long as the queen is reigning; when Charles takes over I expect it to be limited to at maximum the descendants of his grandfather king George V (probably with the exception of the 'full time working cousins of the queen but no longer their children and grandchildren); so his siblings and children/grandchildren and probably his first cousins and their children (children and grandchildren of Margaret).

George V is the Queen's grandfather and currently his descendants populate the balcony. Perhaps you meant George VI?

I think the carriages (other than the Queen's) will be

1 Camilla, Kate, Harry and Meghan

2 Beatrice, Eugenie, Jack and Tim Lawrence

3 The Wessex family

I think when Charles is King Harry will also be riding in the parade as I think he will be made Colonel of the Scots guards when the Duke of Kent passes. It's also very possible that the carriages may be restricted to Camilla and William and Harry's wives and children. I can't see him having nieces and nephews riding in the parade but that's just my opinion.

I think the carriages (other than the Queen's) will be

1 Camilla, Kate, Harry and Meghan

2 Beatrice, Eugenie, Jack and Tim Lawrence

3 The Wessex family

I think when Charles is King Harry will also be riding in the parade as I think he will be made Colonel of the Scots guards when the Duke of Kent passes. It's also very possible that the carriages may be restricted to Camilla and William and Harry's wives and children. I can't see him having nieces and nephews riding in the parade but that's just my opinion.

Does Tim Lawrence usually ride in the carriage? Reason I ask is that no one seems to have mentioned him until now.

As for once Charles is King, I imagine at least the Earl and Countess would still be riding in the carriage as the brother and sister-in-law of the monarch. I still think it's likely that the York princesses and Wessex children will be included as part of the carriage ride for the first few years keeping in mind that Camilla will likely to be in the carriage the Queen rides in now with Kate at that point.

Last edited:
Does Tim Lawrence usually ride in the carriage? Reason I ask is that no one seems to have mentioned him until now.

As for once Charles is King, I imagine at least the Earl and Countess would still be riding in the carriage as the brother and sister-in-law of the monarch. I still think it's likely that the York princesses and Wessex children will be included as part of the carriage ride for the first few years keeping in mind that Camilla will likely to be in the carriage the Queen rides in now with Kate at that point.

I had a look at TTC pre 1952. The then Queen (QEQM) and Princess Margaret rode down in a carriage but the King was not with them. They were not taking part but observing.

The King (due to bad health I assume) rode in a carriage on his own with the Colonels of the Guards Regiments.

Who will ride in what carriage will depend on whether they are Colonels of the Guards Regiments or not. Nothing to stop either Camilla or Catherine being given that role.

I had a look at TTC pre 1952. The then Queen (QEQM) and Princess Margaret rode down in a carriage but the King was not with them. They were not taking part but observing.

The King (due to bad health I assume) rode in a carriage on his own with the Colonels of the Guards Regiments.

Who will ride in what carriage will depend on whether they are Colonels of the Guards Regiments or not. Nothing to stop either Camilla or Catherine being given that role.

My comment on that was based on the expectation that Charles will still ride for a few more years after that. So he wouldn't be in his own carriage anyways. At that point, all four carriages would be for observers.

I assume Prince Louis is too young for a balcony appearance?

I wouldn't expect to see Prince Louis on the balcony until at least next year, possibly the year after depending on the day, his mood, etc.

Trooping the Colour, since the 1950s normally takes place on the 2nd Saturday in June.

It actually has alternated between the second and third Saturday in June since 1979. :flowers: Last year it was the 3rd Saturday.

1951 King did not attend; Princess Elizabeth trooped in his stead.
1950 King rode alone in carriage; Princess Elizabeth rode with Colonels.
1949 King rode alone in carriage; Princess Elizabeth rode with Colonels.
1948 TTC was cancelled due to weather
1947 King rode a horse ahead of Colonels
In all cases The Queen & Princess Margaret rode in carriage (1947 Elizabeth, too).

What will be interesting is whether Edward is even there - he has only just started a visit to China.

China is quite popular with the Queen's sons at the moment as Andrew has just left there and is in Singapore having been to Hong Kong and spent over a week in China with Pitch@Palace.

Maybe neither will be back (although I highly doubt Andrew will miss his first chance to ride in Trooping).

What will be interesting is whether Edward is even there - he has only just started a visit to China.

If he's just started, I highly doubt he'll be able to make it. Given the travel time, it's unlikely to be for just a couple of days.

He arrived on the 5th June.

Andrew has been overseas since the 23rd May.

He arrived on the 5th June.

Andrew has been overseas since the 23rd May.

I've seen the tweets about Andrew. That's why I'm kinda surprised Edward is there now. But I guess for different organizations. It's possible Edward can make it back, but the schedule is tight.

Someone mentioned earlier that Sophie and the kids weren't at Trooping last year. Can anyone tell me why?

Someone mentioned earlier that Sophie and the kids weren't at Trooping last year. Can anyone tell me why?

The main theory was that they were attending a birthday party for Sophie's father, but it has never been officially confirmed.

If he's just started, I highly doubt he'll be able to make it. Given the travel time, it's unlikely to be for just a couple of days.

Edward is due to leave China June 8. With the time difference he can probably be back, just tired.;)

Given all the horseback riding practice Andrew has been doing this spring, I imagine he will be back.

It will be interesting to see Saturday who all is there and of course how they are dressed!

LaRae

Whosever there I hope they allow everyone to see Harry and Meghan and not push them to the back. Too much of a crowd around The Queen. Allow the main players to shine on the balcony.

It will be interesting to see Saturday who all is there and of course how they are dressed!

LaRae
And the hats! I always wait for the hats!
Whosever there I hope they allow everyone to see Harry and Meghan and not push them to the back. Too much of a crowd around The Queen. Allow the main players to shine on the balcony.
Main players or just the people you're the most interested in?

Because that's exacly what I love about this balcony appearance - it gets a bit "messy" and we can see all the members of royal family that we usually don't see, like Peter and Autumn Phillips.

Hmmm maybe there will be some reshuffling this year of who is on the balcony....

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom