Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Time for a Pimms

I can't believe anyone really thinks that William is so tyrannical or so insecure that he would push aside his little cousin so that he might be more prominently displayed on the balcony. C'mon, he's 6'4", attired in a flashy red and gold uniform, and he's holding an adorable baby attired in a historical playsuit. Ain't no way he could be missed, even if there were two dozen little girls standing in the front row. Plus, he's not a rude or unkind person, so he wouldn't do it. William can get as much attention as he wants whenever he wants and he wouldn't make an ass of himself in front of his relatives and the world.

He doesn't need to call attention to himself.

At 2:28:51 Louise turns around to look at Charles.
At 2:28:56 Louise is standing next to her brother.
At 2:28:57 The video cut to the crowd.

When the video returns to the RF Louise is moving into the space near Beatrice.

Is there another video without the cut to the crowd? The only videos I have seen show the same thing.

Getty have a video here which clearly shows Louise coming out on the balcony and moving to beside Philip immediately. I imagine both Louise and James were told by the Queen to stand with their grandparents as their parents weren't there so they didn't feel left out.

Trooping the Colour 2003-2015

I'm sure there are big dots with their pictures on them so they know where to stand. I am sure they use pictures because some of them don't know how to spell their own names. Now, this is as ridiculous as some of the above posts.

In the grand scheme of things, does it matter?!

I was just pleased to see Louise and James.

In the grand scheme of things, does it matter?!

I was just pleased to see Louise and James.

You and me both as I did not expect to see them without their parents. It was such a lovely surprise to see them both and to see James in his little suit.

That point in the video is 2:28 to 2:29. Sigh. If anyone has any doubts about grown men pushing young girls, go watch for yourself. Invented reality is not reality.

Rather disturbing that someone can just manufacture something like that without any sort of basis.

LaRae

Getty have a video here which clearly shows Louise coming out on the balcony and moving to beside Philip immediately. I imagine both Louise and James were told by the Queen to stand with their grandparents as their parents weren't there so they didn't feel left out.
Well I looked and looked and it looked to me that it was supposed to be (going to our right) Queen, James, Philip, Louise . . . . and to the left, William and George, Charles and Camilla . . . .

But you are all correct about one thing. Namely that someone was orchestrating the movement which would lead one to expect their was some sort of organised order. And there he was, Prince Andrew, and he was moving them about with military precision although moving William and Catherine seemed akin to herding cats.

Charles had definitely left room for his eldest son and grandson to stand between him and the Queen and Andy was trying to move Catherine to directly behind James and not HM Hat! He finally gave up and stepped back to natter to Harry. :lol:

I always laugh at balcony scenes, Harry seems to loiter in the back in clear view but behind the front row and he always seems to be up to mischief.

LOL! Y'all, this was the most entertaining thing I read all afternoon! I was so amused and amazed that I nearly missed my bus stop on the way home.

I made a cup of tea to catch up on all this and had the best laugh for a while. Oh dear the things people think they see or rather what they want to see. Queen Camila does see things different to others often.
Can't wait till the next family appearance to see which royal takes down another.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It all makes Game of Thrones look like an episode of Little house on the prairie

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Getty have a video HERE which clearly shows Louise coming out on the balcony and moving to beside Philip immediately. I imagine both Louise and James were told by the Queen to stand with their grandparents as their parents weren't there so they didn't feel left out.

In fact, what is shown is that William was standing directly behind James for a while as though he thought that was his position between the Queen and Philip (and behind James). We know from the other video that Prince Andrew was directing William to the space between Charles and the Queen. The one oddity is Prince Harry moving to that space - which I think Prince Andrew corrected. :flowers:

Interesting conversation, turning on such minor matters. ;) Truth to say, it must be a blazing experience emerging onto that balcony (left/right, in front of, behind). Each of those folks up there must have their instructions and in their own way are trying to make sure they are in their spot. In fact had William stayed between the Queen and Philip and Charles had placed himself beside the Queen, it would have been another tableau. In all, I think they were all trying to figure out the left/right stuff around the Queen. :D

What I saw in Louise was a momentary internal question: left or right? :p

Last edited:
In all the many balcony appearances we have witnessed over the years in the UK and in other countries, there has never been an issue over who is standing where or next to whom, as far as I know. As such, it should not be an issue now.
It is now time to move this discussion forward and any further attempts to analyse the standing positions of member of the Royal Family on the balcony will be removed from this thread without notice.

Martin ‏@CourtierUK 56m56 minutes ago
The Coldstream Guards will be trooping their colour on The Queen’s Official Birthday next year, which will be marked on 11th June.

Hi! Apologies if this is in the wrong section but, when watching older videos of the Trooping of the Colour, I always found it weird when the royal colonels didn't salute during the national anthem. Is that because a uniformed sovereign is the "commanding officer" of the party and is the only one who needs to salute (or take the salute)? They do salute nowadays that the queen is no longer in uniform.

https://youtu.be/pOppZZ3-IWU?t=9m26s

I think it would be something huge if Trooping the Color was to be canceled. From a quick search, the Queen has attended every year of her reign except for when it was canceled in 1955 (I believe) due to a rail strike. It was also canceled previous to that due to WWI.

I can understand that if the security threat is at its highest of "Critical" in the UK, all possible steps would be taken to ensure tight security of the UK's people.

I hope it doesn't have to be that way.

HMQ will fight to keep it but if security says it has to be cancelled then it will be.

Impossible to make the area totally secure

Hardcastle isn't the most reliable reporter. There are two pretty big sporting events coming up with the FA Cup final Saturday and the Champions League Final in Cardiff.

For Trooping, maybe they ban bags and place metal detectors on the Mall. Isn't there bollards already added to stop truck attacks like in Marseilles and Germany

Hardcastle isn't the most reliable reporter. There are two pretty big sporting events coming up with the FA Cup final Saturday and the Champions League Final in Cardiff.

For Trooping, maybe they ban bags and place metal detectors on the Mall. Isn't there bollards already added to stop truck attacks like in Marseilles and Germany

I went to trooping last year and there was very little security in the sense of checking what people were taking into the Mall - actually no security. There were CCTV cameras and police there but there was no bag check or anything like that.

There were non-permanent fences places along the route to keep the crowds back until they moved them so that people could more into the Mall to create that large crown you see from the balcony.

No vehicles are allowed into the Mall at all with the roads being blocked at all entrances, although they are removable quite easily in case emergency vehicles are needed.

Could an attack happen there - I would say absolutely. Not so much a truck but a suicide bomber as there is no individual search type security. It would be a nightmare trying to do any sort of 'metal detector' set up with up to 500,000 there. They start lining the route long before the police or food outlets etc set up. Some of the people I spoke to had been standing in the Mall since 6.00 a.m. and they told me that there were already 1000s there when they arrived that early. Don't forget these crowds are easily 10 deep along the length of The Mall and that is on both sides of the road.

I went to trooping last year and there was very little security in the sense of checking what people were taking into the Mall - actually no security. There were CCTV cameras and police there but there was no bag check or anything like that.

There were non-permanent fences places along the route to keep the crowds back until they moved them so that people could more into the Mall to create that large crown you see from the balcony.

No vehicles are allowed into the Mall at all with the roads being blocked at all entrances, although they are removable quite easily in case emergency vehicles are needed.

Could an attack happen there - I would say absolutely. Not so much a truck but a suicide bomber as there is no individual search type security. It would be a nightmare trying to do any sort of 'metal detector' set up with up to 500,000 there. They start lining the route long before the police or food outlets etc set up. Some of the people I spoke to had been standing in the Mall since 6.00 a.m. and they told me that there were already 1000s there when they arrived that early. Don't forget these crowds are easily 10 deep along the length of The Mall and that is on both sides of the road.

Given the current security situation do we think it is wise to discuss security matters in such detail? It only helps those planning attacks and provides them with more details that they may not already have. It's a sad state of affairs but I think we need to be very careful.

It is common knowledge and nothing I have said there isn't obvious to anyone who has watched Trooping the Colour or been to that event - and that would be over 1 million people in the last three years.

Way too many people already know the security at this event.

Most of what I said there about individual security was on the Trooping the Colour website last year. I wanted to see what I could or couldn't take and what precautions there were and that was the case - none (same in 2005 when I went to the 60th anniversary celebrations in London on the 10th July - three days after the 7/7 attacks).

Common sense would also tell you the type of security they would have and why the sort of security they have at places like the Garter Ceremony wouldn't work in an area the size of the Mall with the size of the crowd.

This is the information for this year's event: Trooping the Colour - Ceremonial Events - The Household Division - Official site

The only security check is for those at Horseguards itself - nothing for those in the Mall.

The most significant change to security would be for the Queen to travel by car or closed carriage rather than the usual open carriage.

Maybe security wise things will be different this year, I think they had 'airport style security' at the patrons lunch so maybe they will put in more checks this year. I'm sure the police have it in hand and anything more than speculation or basic facts may only hinder the police in keeping everyone safe.

Last edited:
If the Queen didn't travel in a car or closed carriage three days after the 7/7 bombings I doubt she would do so again - unless it is wet.

At the patron's lunch there were about 10,000 people as opposed to about 500,000. Those attending the lunch were checked but not those who were in the parks around about watching on the big screens (I was one of those as well).

This is what they want. Frightened people not doing what they have planned to do. You cannot tell where an attack will take place next, so not doing one thing makes you no more safe than anything else. Do not let them ruin our way of life. The queen won't hide underneath a seat, neither should you. Otherwise, they have won. Muslims do not have to apologize for terrorist acts, they just need to publicly condemn them.

Roya Nikkhah‏ @RoyaNikkhah
The Duke of Cambridge will take the salute at the Colonel's Review, Horse Guards Parade June 10, final prep for the Queen's Birthday Parade

Back
Top Bottom