The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Michael is a villainess du jour. I wonder who will be the next ... perhaps Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugene, who are referred to as spongers by the British public, or Lady Louise, whose father did not manage to endear himself to the British public

To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 06-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

Princess Michael is a villainess du jour. I wonder who will be the next ... perhaps Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugene, who are referred to as spongers by the British public, or Lady Louise, whose father did not manage to endear himself to the British public
Since most everyone seems to feel that nothing happens without the Queen's permission, is it possible that the Queen likes Princess Michael and liked having her near her until the arrival of someone like Sophie - and then Camilla - who she got along with? Maybe the Queen 'used' Princess Michael to keep certain family members away from her during public events like the balcony scene.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
For good reason, I think. Watching Philip I think its very close and the family know it. I am not a sentimental person and I do not cry easily - certainly not for strangers - but I have to admit that there is a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye as I watched Philip doing his 'duty' - most certainly out of love for his wife and his family - and his country. An era is coming to a close.
This has also been on my mind recently too.

Good to see the Duke back. I don't think he's going to let anything slow him down too much no matter what his doctors tell him.[/QUOTE]

I think the DoE wants to be active and doing things rather than to just sit and read a book or watch a TV show. Its who he is. Seeing the pictures from today's Trooping the Color really shows how hard the bladder infection hit him and makes me wonder about his health. My mother was like that... always doing something so much that her nickname was Sister Mary Vacuum Cleaner and my dad always swore she'd be too busy to attend her own funeral. I do believe that keeping active prolongs life.

Back in 2008 it was reported that Philip had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. This was never confirmed nor denied by BP as "they do not comment on private health matters". I did a little bit of checking around and it does seem that men with prostate problems do end up getting bladder infections easier. I'm hoping this isn't the case with Philip but perhaps the infection did some good and he was thoroughly examined during his stay in the hospital.

Prince Philip 'diagnosed with prostate cancer' | UK news | guardian.co.uk
Old 06-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Cute picture of Catherine peeking out of the window at Buckingham Palace

http://i48.tinypic.com/1zggvmb.jpg
Old 06-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Old 06-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67

Are you sure about the location of the picture?? I vaguely remember a very, very similar picture from last year's trooping, but from horsegaurd's parade.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
This has also been on my mind recently too.

Good to see the Duke back. I don't think he's going to let anything slow him down too much no matter what his doctors tell him.

I think the DoE wants to be active and doing things rather than to just sit and read a book or watch a TV show. Its who he is. Seeing the pictures from today's Trooping the Color really shows how hard the bladder infection hit him and makes me wonder about his health.
He's putting on a good face. When he left the hospital he clearly was bracing himself when he got into the car - his face contorted with the discomfort. He's putting on a show for the best of reasons. I suspect he's far, far worse than the public is being told - for the reasons you quote - but one just has to look to know all is not well. It goes beyond the bladder infection. His systems are failing - to be expected - must happen eventually. I have had a couple of uncles who had his lanky frame and that face of his now - since Fall/Christmas - says it all. You can see what's coming. (Same face the Queen's father had when he said goodbye to her at the airport before he died).

I noticed that several of the family members on the balcony were very sober - not a lot of smiling. (I was particularly struck by Edward - and Anne). Personally, I don't see the point in watching the decline in public. His profile in the carriage was harrowing. Someone noticed his heavy breathing on the dais - and I certainly saw his shaking and swaying. Its laudable but not worth the anxiety that his family must be under regarding him - not to mention what it must be like for the Queen who he stands beside.

He's done his bit. He needs to be let to have a private life now. I doubt he would sit at home as you say. He runs the Queen's Estates, after all. He has that work. I doubt he would sit watching television any more than he does now. He simply would not have to be always 'on' for a stream of public functions. He would simply be retired to his private life. Sounds healthy to me.

I've noticed British posters here (in past times, on other threads) who feel that the royals should make public appearances far into their old age. I understand the affection and loyalty that prompts those sentiments - but I think some are blinded to the fact that there really is a point when older people need privacy, they need to withdraw - duty notwithstanding.

I also agree with the poster who indicated that with Philip's passing the Queen would be at greater risk. When a couple have been so connected over decades as they have it often happens that they pass closely upon each other. Though the Queen appears more robust than Philip at this stage, she has substantially aged in recent years as well. Anyway, times they are a-changin'.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Penelope View Post
Are you sure about the location of the picture?? I vaguely remember a very, very similar picture from last year's trooping, but from horsegaurd's parade.
She's wearing the outfit she wore in today's Trooping.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Nobility

Some additional things I've noticed when watching the video again: the Queen and Philip were out on the balcony by themselves for a while before anyone joined them. Perhaps the rest of the family wanted to give Philip an extra moment in the spotlight? In fact, it didn't seem like anyone else came out until Philip turned around to say something to everyone gathered in the doorway. I can only imagine that he was barking, "What's with the rest of you? Is anyone else coming out here?"

As Tyger noted, people seemed a bit more sober this year. The exceptions were Harry and all the little ones. While Harry joked around a bit, I noticed on the second viewing that he stops and checks on Philip before moving past him. He even pats Philip on the back.

Again, these are all assumptions based on observations so I don't want to sound definitive, but I do wonder how much longer Philip can last. It's one thing for him to slow down and enjoy his golden years, but Philip does not seem like the type of man who would willingly slow down.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67

She's wearing the outfit she wore in today's Trooping.
Sorry, let me clarify. I remember seeing a picture from last year's trooping the colour and she was looking out a window from horsegaurd's parade. The window in picture looks the same as the one I recall seeing in the picture from last year, so I was wondering if the picture is really from taken from buckingham palace, as I think it could be from horsegaurd's parade.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
Some additional things I've noticed when watching the video again: the Queen and Philip were out on the balcony by themselves for a while before anyone joined them. Perhaps the rest of the family wanted to give Philip an extra moment in the spotlight? In fact, it didn't seem like anyone else came out until Philip turned around to say something to everyone gathered in the doorway. I can only imagine that he was barking, "What's with the rest of you? Is anyone else coming out here?"

As Tyger noted, people seemed a bit more sober this year. The exceptions were Harry and all the little ones. While Harry joked around a bit, I noticed on the second viewing that he stops and checks on Philip before moving past him. He even pats Philip on the back.

Again, these are all assumptions based on observations so I don't want to sound definitive, but I do wonder how much longer Philip can last. It's one thing for him to slow down and enjoy his golden years, but Philip does not seem like the type of man who would willingly slow down.

Every year is same, the Queen and Prince Phillip goes first and after while all family joins them .Nothing special this year
Old 06-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
He's putting on a good face. When he left the hospital he clearly was bracing himself when he got into the car - his face contorted with the discomfort. He's putting on a show. I suspect he's far, far worse than the public is being told - for the reasons you quote - but one just has to look to know all is not well. It goes beyond the bladder infection. His systems are failing - to be expected - must happen eventually. I have had a couple of uncles who had his lanky frame and that face of his now - since Fall/Christmas - says it all. You can see what's coming. (Same face the Queen's father had when he said goodbye to her at the airport before he died).

I noticed that several of the family members on the balcony were very sober - not a lot of smiling. (I was particularly struck by Edward). Personally, I don't see the point in watching the decline in public. His profile in the carriage was harrowing. Someone noticed his heavy breathing on the dais - and I certainly saw his shaking and swaying. Its laudable but not worth the anxiety that his family must be under regarding him - not to mention what it must be like for the Queen who he stands beside.
When I saw the Duke today, my first thought was that he reminded me of George VI at the airport. I didn't want to say it, and I hope it is a bit of an over-reaction on my part, but I definitley saw the same thing. It was difficult to watch. This recent illness really took it out of him.

I'm not surprised that he attended Trooping of the Color. I rather expected if he did nothing else, he'd want to do this if it was at all possible. But, I hope he does take it easy from here on out. He's more than done his part.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMil View Post

Every year is same, the Queen and Prince Phillip goes first and after while all family joins them .Nothing special this year
Ahh! This is the first time I've seen video, so I did not know. Usually every year, I only get to see the still photos afterward.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
Ahh! This is the first time I've seen video, so I did not know. Usually every year, I only get to see the still photos afterward.

Here is one from last year, after 8:18

Old 06-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
When I saw the Duke today, my first thought was that he reminded me of George VI at the airport. I didn't want to say it, and I hope it is a bit of an over-reaction on my part, but I definitley saw the same thing. It was difficult to watch. This recent illness really took it out of him.

I'm not surprised that he attended Trooping of the Color. I rather expected if he did nothing else, he'd want to do this if it was at all possible. But, I hope he does take it easy from here on out. He's more than done his part.
If some of us have noticed this in regards to Philip's health, its an almost 99.99% chance that both Philip and the rest of those close to him realize it also. We are purely speculating on this but the human body can only take so much and they do wear out.

I think Philip is the type of person that would want "business as usual" for as long as humanly possible. To not be by the Queen's side I think would cause him far more stress than the activity involved and he won't be mollycoddled into fading into the background very peacefully. As well as she knows her husband, HM realizes this and to slow him down, she will also slow down and designate Charles and Camilla more and more into the forefront. Not to be overly morbid and gloomy, it also prepares the way for the Queen herself to be able to privately observe a period of mourning when Philip does pass on. I am reminded of Queen Victoria that IIRC, went into isolation just about for 10 years after the death of her Albert.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Aristocracy

Kate Middleton wears grey Erdem dress and Jane Corbett hat to Trooping The Colour 2012 | Grazia Fashion
Not the best look !
Old 06-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post

What an adorable picture! Sometimes I wonder if she must constantly have to pinch herself to believe that she really is on the Balcony of Buckingham Palace next to the Queen etc.

I have to disagree with the Phillip/George VI comparisons, Phillip does not look as sprightly as he used to but I would hardly say he looks like he is about to die and is getting an extra "moment in the spotlight" on the balcony. It was nice to see the entire family on the balcony after the smaller unit we saw at the Jubilee and quite interesting indeed to see the State Coach at a Trooping.

Also, was the part where the Queen and Phillip stopped outside the Palace and took another salute new this year? I can't remember it from previous years.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know if Philip made his appearance with or against doctors' approval, but I really hope he retreats for some needed R&R after this and lets the other members of the RF step in for him. I didn't think he looked at all well, either, and some still photos that I saw of him looked really harrowing in appearance. I don't want to go so far as to make comparisons between him and the late King George VI, but it's obvious and logical that his recovery is slow at his age, and I don't know what lies around the road for him and the Royal Family. Sorry if this sounds morbid, but this strikes me as one of those bittersweet occasions where it's great to see him among his family although we don't know for how much longer. Naturally, given his stubbornness and determination, he could surprise us all and bounce right back after some period of recuperation.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Courtier

I like the dress but she needs to rethink her hair. It doesn't look "professional" to be always brushing it away from her face.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
What an adorable picture! Sometimes I wonder if she must constantly have to pinch herself to believe that she really is on the Balcony of Buckingham Palace next to the Queen etc.

I have to disagree with the Phillip/George VI comparisons, Phillip does not look as sprightly as he used to but I would hardly say he looks like he is about to die and is getting an extra "moment in the spotlight" on the balcony. It was nice to see the entire family on the balcony after the smaller unit we saw at the Jubilee and quite interesting indeed to see the State Coach at a Trooping.

Also, was the part where the Queen and Phillip stopped outside the Palace and took another salute new this year? I can't remember it from previous years.
I agree, I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't notice a huge difference in Phillip. To me he looks more or less the same maybe a bit more tired but it's natural after the week he just had.

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour