The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-16-2012, 02:25 PM

Why isn't the Duke of York wearing a uniform and riding in a carriage? I notice that the Earl of Wessex does have a uniform. Sorry, if this is an old question. I'm a newbie :)

Old 06-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMil View Post
so cute thank you, louise, for standing right next to the person every photographer is taking pictures of (catherine) so you appear on most of them as well

Old 06-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince William's Golden Jubilee medal doesn't look so lonely anymore now that it's joined by the Diamond Jubilee version. Also nice to see the star of the Order of the Thistle joining the Garter Star on his tunic.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Nobility

One thing which crossed my mind - the DoCornwall and the DoCambridge always seem to smile and laugh when they are with each other. This is really lovely to see that they seem to have a nice relationship. I don't think you could fake it like that, if you are not going on well with each other....but of course, only to judge from pictures.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
Why isn't the Duke of York wearing a uniform and riding in a carriage? I notice that the Earl of Wessex does have a uniform. Sorry, if this is an old question. I'm a newbie :)
The Duke has never worn a uniform to Trooping the Colour he rides in the carriage with his daughters most often. The Earl wears his uniform on occasions, I believe it's all a matter of personal choice for the event.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Just catching up now everyone looks good and happy
Old 06-16-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The Duke has never worn a uniform to Trooping the Colour he rides in the carriage with his daughters most often. The Earl wears his uniform on occasions, I believe it's all a matter of personal choice for the event.
Thank you, I did read on the official website that he was colonel to nine regiments. I guess he prefers to excort his daughters. I thought maybe he was slighted for some reason.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:07 PM

So Lady Gabriella Windsor attends the parade - good to see her again
Old 06-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Nobility

So who else caught Harry's little penguin march moment as he was stepping out onto the balcony? He must have kept everyone amused today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
For good reason, I think. Watching Philip I think its very close and the family know it. I am not a sentimental person and I do not cry easily - certainly not for strangers - but I have to admit that there is a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye as I watched Philip doing his 'duty' - most certainly out of love for his wife and his family - and his country. An era is coming to a close.
When Louise squeaked between the Queen and Philip, my first thought was that she wanted to stand by her grandpa because she knew that she wouldn't get many opportunities to spend time with him again.

Of course, then I realized she was talking to Kate and there was a bit of relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Little Louise up front between Grandpa and Kate - Loving every moment. I can't but help she is thinking " Eat your heart out, Princess Michael. "
But did you see where Princess Michael was? She looked pretty chummy with Andrew on the left side of the balcony. They looked like they were having a pretty good conversation.

Quote:
My take: the Duke of York served in the Navy and doesn't have any honorary appointments in the Army. So he'd have to wear his Navy uniform, and I don't believe he wanted to do that at an Army event. Contrast that with Philip, who served in the Navy in WWII but has an honorary appointment as colonel to the Grenadier Guards. That allows him to wear the Army uniform.

I was surprised that Edward, Sophie and Louise were not riding in a carriage this year. But I chalked it up to the weather and the Wessex family choosing not wanting to take a chance on Louise getting sick.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thank you, I did read on the official website that he was colonel to nine regiments. I guess he prefers to excort his daughters. I thought maybe he was slighted for some reason.
D of York is not a colonel of any of the Guards Regiments which participate in the Trooping of the Colour, so he would not ride with the other royals who hold those positions (DoE/Grenadiers; Charles/Welsh Guards; William/Irish; Kent/Scottish; Anne/Blues and Royals).

The carriage procession appears to be hierarchical so when there are only 2 then the Yorks are in the scond carriage. Edward and Sophie went to the Trooping in road vehicles the "back" way. So I don't think he'd feel slighted

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
But did you see where Princess Michael was? She looked pretty chummy with Andrew on the left side of the balcony. They looked like they were having a pretty good conversation.
I noticed that! I also noticed Andrew and Sophie talking, not something I have ever seen before. I always got the impression Andrew wasn't Sophie's biggest fan, but when I saw them chatting it was nice. They were perhaps just being polite, but it was lovely.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

[QUOTE=countess felicitas;1431355]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
- - The Duchess of Cornwall and the Duchess of Cambridge
- The Duchess of Cornwall and the Duchess of Cambridge

One thing which crossed my mind - the DoCornwall and the DoCambridge always seem to smile and laugh when they are with each other. This is really lovely to see that they seem to have a nice relationship. I don't think you could fake it like that, if you are not going on well with each other....but of course, only to judge from pictures.
I could be completely wrong, but when they're together at big royal events like this, I get the feeling that they can't quite believe they're there. I know Camilla's been there several years now; but I think she still finds it all just really fun and quite exciting to be in the middle of all the pomp and ceremony. I'm sure Kate is still at the stage where she has to pinch herself that she's in a horse-drawn carriage heading down the Mall with thousands of people cheering and waving.

My point is, I get the feeling from Camilla and Kate that all this hasn't become ordinary or routine for them yet because they haven't been attending these sorts of events their whole lives.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate's certainly been ratcheting up the balcony appearances this year; if I'm correct, she had two at BP for the Jubilee and Trooping the Color and the balcony appearance at Nottingham earlier this week. Not bad!
Old 06-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Spletnik-Trooping the Colour 2012

Spletnik -Trooping the Colour 2012- Queen Elisabeth II and Duke of Edinburgh attended the parade
Old 06-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Aristocracy

[QUOTE=EIIR;1431415]
Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post

I could be completely wrong, but when they're together at big royal events like this, I get the feeling that they can't quite believe they're there. I know Camilla's been there several years now; but I think she still finds it all just really fun and quite exciting to be in the middle of all the pomp and ceremony. I'm sure Kate is still at the stage where she has to pinch herself that she's in a horse-drawn carriage heading down the Mall with thousands of people cheering and waving.

My point is, I get the feeling from Camilla and Kate that all this hasn't become ordinary or routine for them yet because they haven't been attending these sorts of events their whole lives.
That makes sense.

They do seem to genuinely like each other though. I know we're only seeing their "public faces", but I do think it's difficult to fake certain emotions.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I noticed that! I also noticed Andrew and Sophie talking, not something I have ever seen before. I always got the impression Andrew wasn't Sophie's biggest fan, but when I saw them chatting it was nice. They were perhaps just being polite, but it was lovely.
This and Thena's comment really emphasised to me how little we know about the real interplay between the RF. The balcony isn't the place which will tell us but its pretty much all we've got. They talk to whoever they end up beside but they do all chat away with each other. So it seems to me that they all get on - they all talk to each other (Anne and Edward another good example today). They may not be close, and I don't think the demands of their public life allow for that, but I think there is a lot of caring and respect.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
they also talked during epsom eg
Old 06-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Little Louise up front between Grandpa and Kate - Loving every moment. I can't but help she is thinking " Eat your heart out, Princess Michael. "
That's us what I've always thought! I remember in the Diana days when pss Michael would always end up being just next to HM, pushing more senior royals to the side. I think on these occasions she received her title princess pushy. now with the core royal family being much bigger she can't do it anymore, but she sure does try...
Old 06-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I remember in the Diana days when pss Michael would always end up being just next to HM, pushing more senior royals to the side. I think on these occasions she received her title princess pushy. now with the core royal family being much bigger she can't do it anymore, but she sure does try...
What a ridiculous comment!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy

What a ridiculous comment!
Not ridiculous, you just have to look at the pictures for proof.

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour