Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Noted. I was thinking of the Queen's cousins, but you're right.

However, Prince Charles *does* have an uncle. the late Princess Margaret's ex-husband, Lord Snowdon, is his uncle, divorced or not.

Agree to disagree.

Was Tony still Margaret's husband after the divorce? No. So how could could Tony remain the uncle of his ex wifes nephew?

Technically he's not and I'd be rather bemused if Charles, 33 years after the fact, continued to think of Lord Snowdon as his uncle.

He may think warmly of the man, I cannot say, but Charles was 12 when they married so he wasn't a little child who had grown up with the man having always been a part of his family.

But that's just my opinion :)

Moving on...

Lady Louise was perhaps the most delightful royal on the day!

Last edited:
I just looked through the picture of the trooping and I must say that Lady Louise is starting to be one of my favorite royals too, I am really glad her parents are relaxing a little regarding her exposure, what a cute little girl, she looks like she was having the time of her life, so happy for her.
I also love watching the Duchess of Cambridge with all the children, she is a natural with them, I can't wait for her and William to have their own.

Catherine really did enjoy talking to the kids and keeping them entertained. I think between her and Duchess of Cornwall (who was at times engaged with the kids as well) the little ones were in good hands.

Lady Louise is earning a top spot from me when it comes to royal children. It's a pleasure to look at her pictures.

Everyone looks so happy and Springlike. Good to see those lighter colours when we in NZ are in the depths of winter.

Great to see Lady Louise in her first carriage ride (as a member of the Royal Family, not counting her outing last month as a bridesmaid).

and doesn't Prince Edward look good in that uniform, whatever it was. Looks Scottish to me.

and i loved the Duchess of Cambridge's white coat.

Talking about Edward's uniform.. what was it? how come he was wearing one? didn't he drop out of the army training?

Princess BellyFlop said:
Talking about Edward's uniform.. what was it? how come he was wearing one? didn't he drop out of the army training?

He wore the uniform of the London Regiment. As their honorary Colonel, he can wear that uniform, along with any other uniform of which he has an honorary military appointment. :)

Finally made it through all of the links and the thread and what an enjoyable read through it was too.

Only thing I haven't seen is William telling Louise to look up as the Red Arrows come in for the fly past. That would be too adorable for words. Any help given to point me in the direction of where I could see that would be greatly appreciated!! :eek:)

So happy to see Lady Louise at her first Trooping. She really is a lovely little girl and looked to be having a ball. That was such a surprise to hear about yesterday. All of the little ones looked to be having a wonderful time and that's one of my favourite parts of TtC. As it's the only time we really do see everyone on the Balcony these days.

Thanks to one and all for all the links!! :eek:)

Video - If you can watch that, scroll down to the bottom of the page and it's arond 3.08 of the video. You can see Lady Louise moving from side to side to see something and then William calls her name and points to the sky and she looks up and her face lights up. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duchess of Cornwall's jewelry was amazing at Trooping the Colour. Anyone recognize the necklace?

Yes, its a choker she has used many times. First public outing was at the wedding of Peter Phillips. Was used at Ascot last year as well, and during the trip to Canada c18 months ago.

Just to add to the comment of Prince Andrew's lack of smile...It was something I thought about when I looked at pics of him at recent events, the Royal Wedding, Epsom Races, Trooping the Colour.... a very sad man.

He wore the uniform of the London Regiment. As their honorary Colonel, he can wear that uniform, along with any other uniform of which he has an honorary military appointment. :)

Do these regiments have any input as to who'll be their honorary Colonel? Or do they just have to accept whoever the Queen picks?

If you can watch that, scroll down to the bottom of the page and it's arond 3.08 of the video. You can see Lady Louise moving from side to side to see something and then William calls her name and points to the sky and she looks up and her face lights up. :D

Also on this video, if you watch Prince Andrew, he is laughing with Prince Charles and looking much brighter than usual

What he's wearing will be part of their uniform.
Do these regiments have any input as to who'll be their honorary Colonel? Or do they just have to accept whoever the Queen picks?
From what i've heard they do, it's the same with patronages and charities I believe.

I can't watch streaming video. Is it on You Tube anywhere?

What does that mean? What are appointments?
Sorry for asking :)

Appointments refer to being given a role within a regiment, for example the Queen appointed Prince William as Colonel of the Irish Guards, this role is considered an appointment within the army as the role is ceremonial.

nice video, too bad there's a gap inbetween them entering the balcony!

Good to see Katherine of Kent. She looks quite well.

This video was nice. I did notice that what I thought was Catherine laughing was clearly her sneezing :)

Thanks for this video. It's so fun to see them all interacting with each other. Lady Louise and The Queen are having a little conversation. I also noticed Edward and Sophie having little jokes with each other as they could be seen making each other laugh. The children are so entranced with the performance!

Are there rules about who can go through the middle door of the balcony? Or does it not matter?

A quick update: I went to the Queen's Cup; the weather was truly awful - I wore a nice little linen suit and fortunately took a mac and an umbrella but was still soaked. I will add a full report elsewhere because - unusally - the trophy was presented by Prince Harry, not the Queen. I can only assume that this was because the Queen [who almost always presents the trophy] was having a quiet afternoon off after a busy Saturday [Trooping the Colour] and a busy Sunday morning [Service to mark the Duke of Edinburgh's 90th birthday] what with the Garter Service today and 5 days of Royal Ascot to follow.

I had a great time though, even if I got soaked.
Alex

From what i've heard they do, it's the same with patronages and charities I believe.

Hmmm, I can't imagine a regiment willingly picking Edward, since he flunked out of his own military training. I know that if I served in a regiment, I'd want as honorary Colonel a member of the BRF who actually had walked the walk, not just talked the talk.

Gill, you are still the greatest! Your photos are always superb... Thank you and keep up the wonderful work you share with all of us.. :)

Hmmm, I can't imagine a regiment willingly picking Edward, since he flunked out of his own military training. I know that if I served in a regiment, I'd want as honorary Colonel a member of the BRF who actually had walked the walk, not just talked the talk.

Which just goes to show Prince Edward has guts, as he will know some people will feel this way.

No one says anything about Princess Anne wearing uniform; she didn't serve either. At least Prince Edward tried. And let's not forget, he was really young at the time.

Totally agree with you!! Couldn't say it better! The fact that he left the regiment he was in and decided that it wasn't the path for him doesn't mean that he doesn't want to honour the men and women who serve. And I think highly on him for doing this. But, of course, this is just my humble opinion.

I noticed it but I wasn't sure who she was kissing.. Thanks for enlightening me.

Back
Top Bottom