The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
True that would make sense... but wait isn't Harry technically working in the same work field though. He's left the Army right I'm so confused now
William is an officer training with the RAF - Harry is an Officer training with the Army Air Corp.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
It never surprises me to see how Princess Michael almost always seems to get in the middle with the rest of the main branch of the royals. The Armstorng Jones should be there more than she, as they are closer to the throne, no wonder she is called Princess Pushy
I don't know who should be in the middle between the Queen and Prince Philip

...but I find her definatly more attractive and interesting than the teethy Linley for example... sorry

And well, she seems to like public attention, some other members maybe don't like it...

But makes me wonder, why the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra were a little aside. And BTW, why are people like Countess Mountbatten and the Knatchbulls only every few years on the balcony?? Does anybody know that, may I ask?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

It's really obvious in this picture. I'd not noticed it before. How does she get there, because they have to come onto the balcony in some sort of order. She should be over near the other Kents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
It never surprises me to see how Princess Michael almost always seems to get in the middle with the rest of the main branch of the royals. The Armstorng Jones should be there more than she, as they are closer to the throne, no wonder she is called Princess Pushy
Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
William is an officer training with the RAF - Harry is an Officer training with the Army Air Corp.
Thanks Sky I still cannot get over how much of a spitting image of The Queen at a young age Lady Louise is, especially seeing her now without a hat.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Serene Highness

I'm always quite amused to see the similarities btw Trooping the Color and the French national day ("Bastille day")

Trooping the Colour

French national day

Old 06-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I still cannot get over how much of a spitting image of The Queen at a young age Lady Louise is, especially seeing her now without a hat.
Thats absolutely, what I was thinking the whole day, since I saw the Pics
Old 06-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Serene Highness

Oh come on, it's quite a few years ago now since Princess M was in the middle of the group on the balcony. Reading some of these posts you would think she was there every year which simply isn't true.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Is there a special place for each member of the British royal family in the balcony? What is wrong with Princess Michael standing behind Her Majesty? Had it been a protocol violation, Princess Michael would have been informed about it. She has been standing in the centre for many times. It appears Her Majesty does not mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
... [snipped] Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected ... [snipped]
It is nice of Prince Henry to talk to Lady Louise
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 06-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Commoner

Thanks everybody for the sharing the pics and videos!

Wow, you're right, Lady Louise reminds me to HM when she was young! And she looks so adorable on the balcony!!!

Can you guess what was going on here? Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected hehhehe
Old 06-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Is there a special place for each member of the British royal family in the balcony? What is wrong with Princess Michael standing behind Her Majesty? Had it been a protocol violation, Princess Michael would have been informed about it. She has been standing in the centre for many times. It appears Her Majesty does not mind.
I absolutely agree
Old 06-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Speaking of Lady Louise, this article just published shows the resemblance. I'm sorry Mods I know it's a tad bit OT but since alot of people were talking about it I thought I'd post it.
Lady Louise, the spitting image of her Aunt Anne... and quite like Granny too | Mail Online
Old 06-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
is there a special place for each member of the British royal family in the balcony? What is wrong with Princess Michael standing behind Her Majesty? Had it been a protocol violation, Princess Michael would have been informed about it. She has been standing in the centre for many times. It appears Her Majesty does not mind.
Can't agree more. I don't think there 's a special protocol concerning the Balcony. The Queen and the DOE must be obviously at the centre...but there is no a "special place" for the other royals.

Here's a little video from the excellent documentary "Monarchy' aired some times ago. This part shows the 2006 background of the world famous balcony scene...

Old 06-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Speaking of Lady Louise, this article just published shows the resemblance. I'm sorry Mods I know it's a tad bit OT but since alot of people were talking about it I thought I'd post it.
Lady Louise, the spitting image of her Aunt Anne... and quite like Granny too | Mail Online
Really, there is very strong resemblance. Thanks for the article. IMO there also is a resemblance to Zara Philips, when she was that age, except the curly hair
Old 06-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Courtier

Lady Louise does look a lot like the Queen at a young age.

I noticed both William and Harry were in uniform. What medals were they wearing, though?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
Lady Louise does look a lot like the Queen at a young age.

I noticed both William and Harry were in uniform. What medals were they wearing, though?
Both William and Harry are wearing the medals from the Golden Jubilee in 2002.

Harry, in addition, is wearing the medal he received for service in Afghanistan.

Philip's medals are mainly from WWII but also the Coronation and Jubilee medals and Charles also has the Coronation and Jubilee Medals along with a few others. Andrew, of course, has a Falklands campaign medal. William is also wearing his wings as he is now a qualified pilot.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Both William and Harry are wearing the medals from the Golden Jubilee in 2002.

Harry, in addition, is wearing the medal he received for service in Afghanistan.

Philip's medals are mainly from WWII but also the Coronation and Jubilee medals and Charles also has the Coronation and Jubilee Medals along with a few others. Andrew, of course, has a Falklands campaign medal. William is also wearing his wings as he is now a qualified pilot.
One of the medals Charles wears is that of the New Zealand Queen's Service Order and another is a Canadain decoration. Why does he not wear his insignia as a Knight of the Order of Australia. Its abolition did not have any retrospective effect on existing appointments, so he should still wear it. A diagram of the medals he most often wears is at : BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | What are Prince Charles's medals for?. Indeed it would be heard to wear all of his decorations at one, but he should not treat some Commonwealth Countries over others.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
One of the medals Charles wears is that of the New Zealand Queen's Service Order and another is a Canadain decoration. Why does he not wear his insignia as a Knight of the Order of Australia. Its abolition did not have any retrospective effect on existing appointments, so he should still wear it. A diagram of the medals he most often wears is at : BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | What are Prince Charles's medals for?. Indeed it would be heard to wear all of his decorations at one, but he should not treat some Commonwealth Countries over others.

I would imagine that the main reason is that is was abolished.

He might still be eligible to wear it but as it was part of the continuing split between Australia and Britain and is no longer being awarded he may feel awkward wearing it.

Maybe he should be given a new Australian order (he will of course, assuming he does become King of Australia - which I suspect he won't but we don't need to go there) become the Head of the Order of Australia but as he doesn't have any of these new orders he doesn't wear the old one.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

There isn't a new Australian order to give him. The only thing that was abolished was the level of Knight within the Order of Australia. He can't be made a Companion because he already has a higher grade within the Order.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I would think that the ABC would broadcast it, especially now that there is also ABC2 and ABC HD. It had live coverage whne Quentin Bryce and Micheal Jeffery were sworn in as Governor-General and the Trooping of the Colour sort of runs along the same lines. I'd have thought it would have been on in the middle of the night in Australia anyway and there is nothing on any of the channels except shopping so there is really no excuse.
Trooping of the Colour was on tonight's evening news as it is every year. A short segment of it is broadcast, it's a regular news item on the Sunday night news after the Saturday event in the UK. British royal events are still regularily featured on the Australian news, the Trooping of the Colour, church attendence at Easter and church attendence at Christmas. Any major commemorations such as end of wars also make the news. (The Queen's Christmas message is broadcast each year on the ABC, we actually see it before the people in the UK due to the time difference) Weddings get a live broadcast, The Trooping of the Colour never had a live broadcast, but it continues to get news coverage.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

It is nice of Prince Henry to talk to Lady Louise
In the pics I have seen of trooping of the colour in the 80's Princess M was always in the middle, more center than HM's own children! I think the royals don't have rules but automatically know their place, children and Gchildren of HM in the center, Princess Margaret and the Armstrong Jones further to the side and cousins more to the side. If someone edges their way to the center, HM is way to polite to make a scene. To me it seems really like someone is being PUSHY! Now please, don't put me through the 3rd degree b/c of my opinions and observations.
Thanks!

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour