Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This has also been on my mind recently too.

Good to see the Duke back. I don't think he's going to let anything slow him down too much no matter what his doctors tell him.

I think the DoE wants to be active and doing things rather than to just sit and read a book or watch a TV show. Its who he is. Seeing the pictures from today's Trooping the Color really shows how hard the bladder infection hit him and makes me wonder about his health.

He's putting on a good face. When he left the hospital he clearly was bracing himself when he got into the car - his face contorted with the discomfort. He's putting on a show for the best of reasons. I suspect he's far, far worse than the public is being told - for the reasons you quote - but one just has to look to know all is not well. It goes beyond the bladder infection. His systems are failing - to be expected - must happen eventually. I have had a couple of uncles who had his lanky frame and that face of his now - since Fall/Christmas - says it all. You can see what's coming. (Same face the Queen's father had when he said goodbye to her at the airport before he died).

I noticed that several of the family members on the balcony were very sober - not a lot of smiling. (I was particularly struck by Edward - and Anne). Personally, I don't see the point in watching the decline in public. His profile in the carriage was harrowing. Someone noticed his heavy breathing on the dais - and I certainly saw his shaking and swaying. Its laudable but not worth the anxiety that his family must be under regarding him - not to mention what it must be like for the Queen who he stands beside.

He's done his bit. He needs to be let to have a private life now. I doubt he would sit at home as you say. He runs the Queen's Estates, after all. He has that work. I doubt he would sit watching television any more than he does now. He simply would not have to be always 'on' for a stream of public functions. He would simply be retired to his private life. Sounds healthy to me.

I've noticed British posters here (in past times, on other threads) who feel that the royals should make public appearances far into their old age. I understand the affection and loyalty that prompts those sentiments - but I think some are blinded to the fact that there really is a point when older people need privacy, they need to withdraw - duty notwithstanding.

I also agree with the poster who indicated that with Philip's passing the Queen would be at greater risk. When a couple have been so connected over decades as they have it often happens that they pass closely upon each other. Though the Queen appears more robust than Philip at this stage, she has substantially aged in recent years as well. Anyway, times they are a-changin'.

Last edited:
Are you sure about the location of the picture?? I vaguely remember a very, very similar picture from last year's trooping, but from horsegaurd's parade.

She's wearing the outfit she wore in today's Trooping.

Some additional things I've noticed when watching the video again: the Queen and Philip were out on the balcony by themselves for a while before anyone joined them. Perhaps the rest of the family wanted to give Philip an extra moment in the spotlight? In fact, it didn't seem like anyone else came out until Philip turned around to say something to everyone gathered in the doorway. I can only imagine that he was barking, "What's with the rest of you? Is anyone else coming out here?" :lol:

As Tyger noted, people seemed a bit more sober this year. The exceptions were Harry and all the little ones. While Harry joked around a bit, I noticed on the second viewing that he stops and checks on Philip before moving past him. He even pats Philip on the back.

Again, these are all assumptions based on observations so I don't want to sound definitive, but I do wonder how much longer Philip can last. It's one thing for him to slow down and enjoy his golden years, but Philip does not seem like the type of man who would willingly slow down.

dbarn67 said:
She's wearing the outfit she wore in today's Trooping.

Sorry, let me clarify. I remember seeing a picture from last year's trooping the colour and she was looking out a window from horsegaurd's parade. The window in picture looks the same as the one I recall seeing in the picture from last year, so I was wondering if the picture is really from taken from buckingham palace, as I think it could be from horsegaurd's parade.

Last edited:
Some additional things I've noticed when watching the video again: the Queen and Philip were out on the balcony by themselves for a while before anyone joined them. Perhaps the rest of the family wanted to give Philip an extra moment in the spotlight? In fact, it didn't seem like anyone else came out until Philip turned around to say something to everyone gathered in the doorway. I can only imagine that he was barking, "What's with the rest of you? Is anyone else coming out here?" :lol:

As Tyger noted, people seemed a bit more sober this year. The exceptions were Harry and all the little ones. While Harry joked around a bit, I noticed on the second viewing that he stops and checks on Philip before moving past him. He even pats Philip on the back.

Again, these are all assumptions based on observations so I don't want to sound definitive, but I do wonder how much longer Philip can last. It's one thing for him to slow down and enjoy his golden years, but Philip does not seem like the type of man who would willingly slow down.

:previous:
Every year is same, the Queen and Prince Phillip goes first and after while all family joins them :flowers:.Nothing special this year :flowers:

He's putting on a good face. When he left the hospital he clearly was bracing himself when he got into the car - his face contorted with the discomfort. He's putting on a show. I suspect he's far, far worse than the public is being told - for the reasons you quote - but one just has to look to know all is not well. It goes beyond the bladder infection. His systems are failing - to be expected - must happen eventually. I have had a couple of uncles who had his lanky frame and that face of his now - since Fall/Christmas - says it all. You can see what's coming. (Same face the Queen's father had when he said goodbye to her at the airport before he died).

I noticed that several of the family members on the balcony were very sober - not a lot of smiling. (I was particularly struck by Edward). Personally, I don't see the point in watching the decline in public. His profile in the carriage was harrowing. Someone noticed his heavy breathing on the dais - and I certainly saw his shaking and swaying. Its laudable but not worth the anxiety that his family must be under regarding him - not to mention what it must be like for the Queen who he stands beside.

When I saw the Duke today, my first thought was that he reminded me of George VI at the airport. I didn't want to say it, and I hope it is a bit of an over-reaction on my part, but I definitley saw the same thing. It was difficult to watch. This recent illness really took it out of him.

I'm not surprised that he attended Trooping of the Color. I rather expected if he did nothing else, he'd want to do this if it was at all possible. But, I hope he does take it easy from here on out. He's more than done his part.

:previous:
Every year is same, the Queen and Prince Phillip goes first and after while all family joins them :flowers:.Nothing special this year :flowers:

:previous:Ahh! This is the first time I've seen video, so I did not know. Usually every year, I only get to see the still photos afterward.

When I saw the Duke today, my first thought was that he reminded me of George VI at the airport. I didn't want to say it, and I hope it is a bit of an over-reaction on my part, but I definitley saw the same thing. It was difficult to watch. This recent illness really took it out of him.

I'm not surprised that he attended Trooping of the Color. I rather expected if he did nothing else, he'd want to do this if it was at all possible. But, I hope he does take it easy from here on out. He's more than done his part.

If some of us have noticed this in regards to Philip's health, its an almost 99.99% chance that both Philip and the rest of those close to him realize it also. We are purely speculating on this but the human body can only take so much and they do wear out.

I think Philip is the type of person that would want "business as usual" for as long as humanly possible. To not be by the Queen's side I think would cause him far more stress than the activity involved and he won't be mollycoddled into fading into the background very peacefully. As well as she knows her husband, HM realizes this and to slow him down, she will also slow down and designate Charles and Camilla more and more into the forefront. Not to be overly morbid and gloomy, it also prepares the way for the Queen herself to be able to privately observe a period of mourning when Philip does pass on. I am reminded of Queen Victoria that IIRC, went into isolation just about for 10 years after the death of her Albert.

Cute picture of Catherine peeking out of the window at Buckingham Palace

http://i48.tinypic.com/1zggvmb.jpg

What an adorable picture! Sometimes I wonder if she must constantly have to pinch herself to believe that she really is on the Balcony of Buckingham Palace next to the Queen etc.

I have to disagree with the Phillip/George VI comparisons, Phillip does not look as sprightly as he used to but I would hardly say he looks like he is about to die and is getting an extra "moment in the spotlight" on the balcony. It was nice to see the entire family on the balcony after the smaller unit we saw at the Jubilee and quite interesting indeed to see the State Coach at a Trooping.

Also, was the part where the Queen and Phillip stopped outside the Palace and took another salute new this year? I can't remember it from previous years.

Last edited:
I don't know if Philip made his appearance with or against doctors' approval, but I really hope he retreats for some needed R&R after this and lets the other members of the RF step in for him. I didn't think he looked at all well, either, and some still photos that I saw of him looked really harrowing in appearance. I don't want to go so far as to make comparisons between him and the late King George VI, but it's obvious and logical that his recovery is slow at his age, and I don't know what lies around the road for him and the Royal Family. Sorry if this sounds morbid, but this strikes me as one of those bittersweet occasions where it's great to see him among his family although we don't know for how much longer. Naturally, given his stubbornness and determination, he could surprise us all and bounce right back after some period of recuperation.

Last edited:
What an adorable picture! Sometimes I wonder if she must constantly have to pinch herself to believe that she really is on the Balcony of Buckingham Palace next to the Queen etc.

I have to disagree with the Phillip/George VI comparisons, Phillip does not look as sprightly as he used to but I would hardly say he looks like he is about to die and is getting an extra "moment in the spotlight" on the balcony. It was nice to see the entire family on the balcony after the smaller unit we saw at the Jubilee and quite interesting indeed to see the State Coach at a Trooping.

Also, was the part where the Queen and Phillip stopped outside the Palace and took another salute new this year? I can't remember it from previous years.
I agree, I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't notice a huge difference in Phillip. To me he looks more or less the same maybe a bit more tired but it's natural after the week he just had.

You're all making it seem like Philip is on his deathbed, scaring the hell out of me. I can just imagine my own sadness when he'll die once and I don't even know him personally, so I can't even begin to imagine the family's sadness, HM in particular. This thread has now officially depressed me :sad:

I agree, I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't notice a huge difference in Phillip. To me he looks more or less the same maybe a bit more tired but it's natural after the week he just had.

I'm the same way. Philip looked quite youthful to me, (relatively), until fairly recently but I've found over the last year, year and a half he's really started to show his age. I don't see a drastic change in appearance since he left hospital, though.
IMO, Philip will slow down if/when he becomes physically unable to leave his bed! Otherwise it will be business as usual to the end. I can't imagine he'd want it any other way - I mean, he's 91! Realistically he doesn't have much time left no matter what he does and I bet if he was asked whether he'd rather go at 91 after an active day of fishing or carriage driving or official duties vs. go at 93 or 94 after two or three years of enforced inactivity he'd pick the first option.

When you have more experience around older people - especially men at a certain stage of their aging - you start to recognize the signs. Philip has the signs.

He may certainly bounce back - but he is a very old man.

BTW the way people talk about him as being willful is not flattering imo. I don't chuckle at the descriptions. Is that level of orneriness considered laudable? I think it makes him sound foolish and out-of-touch. I have never thought of him that way.

I think he needs to rest from what I saw today. I laud his gameness to do the Trooping - I think he must have done it out of love for his wife - but I think equally that his 'duty' has limits. At his age he is entitled to some quiet downtime - and if he is in a mental state where he has become unreasonable then he should stop to consider the impact his frailty might have on the Queen in public situations. She will have to be concerned about him - as I think she was on the dais today.

I suspect the family is likely more in tune with what is happening than HM's subjects.

Last edited:
Is that level of orneriness considered laudable?

I think it might depend on just how serious the concerns are. My great-grandfather lived a pretty independent life up until about age 97, but there was a point when "haha, he's never going to give up his car keys" became "he really needs to give up his car keys." (Thankfully the accident that scared him into agreeing was very minor.)

Last edited:
The Duke has never worn a uniform to Trooping the Colour he rides in the carriage with his daughters most often. The Earl wears his uniform on occasions, I believe it's all a matter of personal choice for the event.

At least Andrew is entitled to wear a military uniform.

(I really hate when Edward wears one, knowing it's just an honorary uniform and he didn't earn it. I would much rather he would refrain).

Mirabel said:
At least Andrew is entitled to wear a military uniform.

(I really hate when Edward wears one, knowing it's just an honorary uniform and he didn't earn it. I would much rather he would refrain).

Do you feel the same way about Princess Anne?

I wonder why Zara and Peter do not attend anymore, bit disappointing really. Thanks for pointing everyone out, PrincessofEurope (sorry I am unsure of your name, forgive me.) Little Albert was too cute, especially the images of Beatrice pointing things out to him - image

Cute images of Louise and Catherine:

Catherine and Louise, Catherine and Louise and Catherine and Louise.

Catherine and Philip (Louise does that gesture with her hands a lot when looking at this, it must help her sight.)

Thank you for all the pictures. Louise's gesture is more than likely due to her difficulty with focusing. She needs a little telescope, which will give her field restriction that she seems to crave (wonder if her parents and teachers have thought of that, and if not, I could always go over there and share my expertise as a certified teacher for kids with visual impairments [of course I'm being very facetious, and am well aware that my services are more than likely not needed]). I really enjoyed all the pictures/videos of Louise interacting with Catherine, William and her grandparents. She's so alert and seems to love being in the front and center of it all.

For good reason, I think. Watching Philip I think its very close and the family know it. I am not a sentimental person and I do not cry easily - certainly not for strangers - but I have to admit that there is a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye as I watched Philip doing his 'duty' - most certainly out of love for his wife and his family - and his country. An era is coming to a close.

It's something that I've noticed as well. The poor man is really looking unwell. I'm not trying to be pessimistic or write him off (it's the last thing I want to do, because it'll be very heartbreaking to see him pass on, for so many reasons), but he's not as young as he used to be. The end of the British Royal Family as we know it is coming to an end, and it's very bittersweet. I think everyone's realizing it though. The balcony appearance was more somber, if you will.

I am dreading the day they announce the death of Prince Philip. It certainly will be the end of an era. What is worse is I think when Philip dies, the Queen may not be long to follow. I do not mean that in a horrible way, I simply mean that it is quite common for couples who have been together as long as they have to follow one another. It's sad, but quite often true.

Thanks for more images, the image of HM, Philip, Louise and Catherine is cute, specifically Louise's big grin.

I agree with you. His Highness is Her Majesty's biggest supporter, her rock, if you will. One reporter on a Russian news station here in the States said that when it comes to official engagements, Her Majesty always has her handbag on her arm and her husband at her side. They share a deep bond, one that is developed through a long life together, and once one of them goes, the other won't be able to last too long. I hope we have some time before that happens, but one never knows.

Louise's big grins were so precious :D. She's such a little ray of sunshine. And if I might add, she's getting to be a pretty tall young lady.

great great ceremony!!!! all look perfect! I want to see james in the balcony!!!

It's only been relatively recently that Philip has seemed a bit frail to me. (I really hate to put "Philip" and "frail" in the same sentence. It doesn't seem right.) But, even so, it didn't seem visibly obvious-to me anyway- that he was struggling to get through an event. Today, he looked like he was having a hard time. His color seemed a good deal worse, his eyes seemed-I don't know- more sunken in, his profile in the carriage was a bit "harrowing", to quote another poster. He looked quite unwell.

I hope he does bounce back. He's a determined man, for sure. I think it is important for people to remain active....to the extent they are able and not over-do it. I suspect that's a tough balance, especially for someone like Philip. I can't imagine sitting at home and watching TV all day every day would be good for him mentally, but he doesn't look up to the kind of schedule he and the Queen usually keep either.

I was just taken aback by his appearance today and was saddened by it. Hopefully, it was an over-reaction on my part.

Philip

I had a cat who had several health scares in her last 5 years. Her last health scare was 15 months before she passed. Just like I never counted my Katie Kittie's days, I'm not counting Philip's. While he does look a little frail, he may have a lot of good years left.

When you have more experience around older people - especially men at a certain stage of their aging - you start to recognize the signs. Philip has the signs.

He may certainly bounce back - but he is a very old man.

I agree...I worked at a retirement home for a year and when I saw the photos of Philip today, I thought of some of the older men there. The men there could seem to decline overnight. Usually, it was men at a particular age - in their late 80s - early 90s. For some reason, the women seemed to go downhill over a longer period of time; but there were quite a few men who would seem to be in good shape and you'd think they could go on forever - and then quite suddenly, their health would go downhill and they would pass away. In fact, I had a 92 year-old great-uncle who was very healthy and alert until a few weeks ago, when he caught pneumonia and died within a few days.

Hopefully this doesn't sound morbid. :sad: It's just that when people are over 90, their bodies are worn out, so when they even catch something as minor as a bladder infection, they can go downhill quickly. Old age catches up to everyone.

Last edited:
According to the British monarchy website he only has the Garter Ceremony this week - 18th June.

Then the rest of the week to rest but he still has some very busy days and weeks ahead - the programme for Holyrood Week has engagements every day for him - of course some of them might be cancelled or other members of the family stand in for him but until they get to Balmoral in early August there is still a hectic schedule with the Olympics in late July - early August meaning they leave for Balmoral a week or so later than normal.

He has two more planned engagements on 25th June and then into July where there are so far 8 engagements plus Holyrood Week where he has 14 listed engagements, including the installation of The Prince William The Earl of Strathearn as a member of The Order of the Thistle.

So for the rest of June there are 3 already announced engagements and 21 announced in July - but that could change, especially around the end of July as attending the Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games isn't listed yet and The Queen is to open them (it isn't listed on her July engagements yet either).

Last edited:
Balmoral sounds a long way off; I really hope he doesn't meet all these engagements and that workload does get lessened. That seems arduous enough for a person in good condition, let alone a 91-year-old man in frail health just discharged from the hospital.

:previous: Well, if he is as weak and depleted as he appears to be, a schedule like that could be his undoing. I really hope sanity prevails. All this talk of 'being active' until one drops - Phillip can be active plenty - but privately. The consequences to the Queen were he to pass before her will be hard. He should do all he can to take care of himself. Better that he is at home waiting for her than that she should be compelled one day to return to an 'empty palace'.

I don't envy Charles. All of us who have had to deal with the aging parent know what a complex dance it can sometimes be. How much more so for Charles - and his siblings. Once widowed, does the Queen live alone? Do Charles and Camilla move to BP? Does the Queen move to one of her children's homes? Questions....

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm not one to having premonitions but at the end of the Regatta, when the rain was pouring down and both The Queen and Prince Philip were still standing there in the damp and cold - I thought that they both would fall ill.....
They should have been inside a glass enclosed, heated area...
Damp & cold and old age don't often go well together. They both looked cold.
And, an English friend of mine texted to me that he saw and heard Sophie Wessex diembarking from her craft and exclaiming, "I'm frozen to the bone!"....

I was not surprised to hear that Prince Philip had a bladder infection, but was surprised that The Queen did not!!!

I guess Philip needs to appear at the Garter ceremony; but since he's not a fan of racing, perhaps he won't attend Royal Ascot....

They both need to rest at Balmoral, although that place never appealed to me as being "warm"......

One last thought:
I hope to heaven that the Prince does not die in this Jubilee year, as the Golden Jubilee was perhaps spioled by The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret dying just before it.
And, I would like Prince Philip to live long enough to see his great grandchild - Will & Kate's baby!!!!!!!!

Larry

Well he has already seen two great-grandchildren so seeing a third isn't all that important.

As for being warm - one thing we often hear is that The Queen is more likely to encourage people to put on another jumper rather than lay the fires but I do hope that she does splurge a bit and keep the living quarters warm for Philip at this time.

Back
Top Bottom