Total figures for individual years from 2000 onwards

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvbertie

Imperial Majesty
City
Bathurst
Country
Australia
I am doing this for anyone who is interested.

The other note for 2000 I wish to add at this point is that having been a reader of the CC with serious intent since 2012 I found it interesting that at one point Andrew and Edward were listed as undertaking an official duty as Counsellors of State - they received an Ambassador who was relinquishing his post. This is a normal engagement for HM. She does about 20 of these a year. Edward is no longer a CoS of course, since Harry turned 21 but I found it interesting that when they actual carried out an official duty that was listed that way.

There was also a note made last week - by me I think - about the way The Queen's visit to The Pope was described in the CC. It wasn't a one off last week as the visit in 2000 was listed exactly the same way - except for the name of the Pope.

Here are the figures for 2000:

HM The Queen - 560,
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 439,
HM The Queen Mother - 55,
HRH The Prince of Wales - 598,
HRH Prince William of Wales - 4,
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 4,
HRH The Duke of York - 326,
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 2,
HRH Princess Eugenie of York -2,
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 180,
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 120,
HRH The Princess Royal - 602,
Tim Laurence - 32,
HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowden - 48,
HRH Princess Alice of Gloucester - 4,
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 210,
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 151,
HRH The Duke of Kent - 259,
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 5,
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 8,
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 6,
HRH Princess Alexandra - 168,
Angus Ogilvy - 67,

Here are the figures for 2001.

HM The Queen - 478
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 362
HM The Queen Mother - 50
HRH The Prince of Wales - 568
HRH Prince William of Wales - 6
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 2
HRH The Duke of York - 336
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 2
HRH Princess Eugenie of York -2
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 181
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 125
HRH The Princess Royal - 571
Tim Laurence - 21
HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowden - 5
HRH Princess Alice of Gloucester - 1
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 195
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 143
HRH The Duke of Kent - 229
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 4
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 7
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 2
HRH Princess Alexandra - 154
Angus Ogilvy - 61

Bertie, you are indefatigable! My hat is off to you.

It is fun to read the past engagements of the royals and to see the ones that appear year after year that we don't see reported such as The Queen presented prizes at Sandringham to children for church attendance - every year - a nice acknowledgement for the children.

I also have enjoyed reading the different way that the CC referred to the Queen Mum compared to the other royals - CLARENCE HOUSE:
Mrs. Elspeth Thomas today had the honour of being received by Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, President, the British Red Cross Society, when Her Majesty presented her with The Queen's Badge of Honour and Certificate.

With other royals from 2000 to the present the wording is the more simple - HM/HRH xxx received yyyy for some reason or another.

It is fun to read the past engagements of the royals and to see the ones that appear year after year that we don't see reported such as The Queen presented prizes at Sandringham to children for church attendance - every year - a nice acknowledgement for the children.

I also have enjoyed reading the different way that the CC referred to the Queen Mum compared to the other royals - CLARENCE HOUSE:
Mrs. Elspeth Thomas today had the honour of being received by Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, President, the British Red Cross Society, when Her Majesty presented her with The Queen's Badge of Honour and Certificate.

With other royals from 2000 to the present the wording is the more simple - HM/HRH xxx received yyyy for some reason or another.

Thanks for the hard work. I do think the real enjoyment in life has to do with the details. Knowing of the special treatment of the Queen Mum is dear!

I looked at engagements this week online just now. There is a listing for the Duke of Gloucester for the 15th: "will NOT NOW visit the Sir Robert Ogden Macmillan Centre, Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust, Harrogate, Yorkshire." That's new.

These are my figures for the Golden Jubilee Year of 2002. The Queen was very busy as was the Duke with many, many days seeing them visiting a place and undertaking 10 - 12 engagements during the day - visiting different places throughout the town, having a formal reception and a luncheon and often a church service as well to acknowledge the Golden Jubilee. I remember that Philip, when asked what event he was most looking forward to about that year, replied 'August when we get to Balmoral' and looking at these figures I can understand why - May, June and July saw the pair of them doing - The Queen - 332 and Philip - 318

The one engagement for The Queen Mum was the funeral of Princess Margaret. This is the final time that either of them will appear due to their deaths in February and March, 2002.

This was also the first full year for Edward and Sophie as during 2000 and 2001 they were both working full-time but in 2002 they took up a full round of engagements to help out during the Golden Jubilee.

Additional notes - Princess Alice's figures do not include anything to do with either The Queen Mother's funeral or the Jubilee events. Angus Ogilvy didn't accompany Alexandra until June which was unusual but I suspect he may already have had the cancer that killed him in 2005 by then.

Here are the figures for 2002.

HM The Queen - 717
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 645
HM The Queen Mother - 1
HRH The Prince of Wales - 588
HRH Prince William of Wales - 7
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 9
HRH The Duke of York - 444
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 6
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 6
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 414
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 354
HRH The Princess Royal - 557
Tim Laurence - 23
HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowden - 0
HRH Princess Alice of Gloucester - 5
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 242
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 171
HRH The Duke of Kent - 247
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 6
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 14
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 13
HRH Princess Alexandra - 171
Angus Ogilvy - 22

Total number of royals doing duties at beginning of 2002 = 23
Total number of royals doing duties at end of 2002 = 21

Well done Bertie! This is so fascinating to read. I had no idea the Queen had ever done so many engagements - over 700 in one year!

Thank you ILuvBertie for taking the time to tally these engagements.

Here are the figures for 2003.

Sophie seems a bit down here but she was pregnant with Louise for the second half of the year and still managed to do 175 during the year.

It is also clear how many Jubilee events were done in 2002 when the figures for those two years are compared with both The Queen and Philip down nearly 200 each from 2002 to 2003.

It is also interesting to note that in 2003 full lists of who attended things like the Trooping the Colour weren't given and I was also surprised how often Michael attended a reception without his wife or without her being mentioned as also attending. As Angus is often listed I must assume that Marie-Christine didn't attend at all.

I find it also interesting that even the hardest workers now are doing less than they were 10 years ago - signs of the aging of the British Royal Family.

Here are the figures for 2003

HM The Queen - 531
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 438
HRH The Prince of Wales - 589
HRH Prince William of Wales - 6
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 1
HRH The Duke of York - 414
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 0
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 0
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 427
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 175
HRH The Princess Royal - 569
Tim Laurence - 32
HRH Princess Alice of Gloucester - 4
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 221
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 153
HRH The Duke of Kent - 205
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 10
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 2
HRH Princess Alexandra - 177
Angus Ogilvy - 52

Total for 2003 = 4006 down 656 from 2002 and up 319 over the total done in 2013.

As I am on school holidays again I will be doing a few more updates.

Each year takes about 20 hours to do but yes expect another update within the next 24 - 48 hours.

Here are my figures for 2004. Interesting for me was to see how much Sophie did that year – having had Louise late the year before. I have removed The Queen Mum and Princess Margaret from the earlier lists as they both were deceased in 2002. When I do the 2005 update I will also remove Princess Alice and Angus Ogilvy as they died in 2004.

Here are the figures for 2004, age turned in 2004, figures for 2013, age turned in 2013, and the difference between the two years.

HM The Queen - 517
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 415
HRH The Prince of Wales - 557
HRH Prince William of Wales - 4
HRH The Duke of York - 494
HRH Princess Eugenie of York -0
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 389
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 185
HRH The Princess Royal - 578
Tim Laurence - 54
HRH Princess Alice of Gloucester - 0
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 220
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 162
HRH The Duke of Kent - 197
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 1
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 4
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 3
HRH Princess Alexandra - 132
Angus Ogilvy - 12

Here are my figures for 2005. This was the year that saw Camilla enter the royal family of course. A note about the Duchess of Kent whose name appeared 6 times during the year – these were mainly church services such as funerals and memorial services – the funeral and later memorial service for Angus Ogilvy and the memorial service for the Duchess of Gloucester make up 3/6 but she did attend a reception at BP to do with music which I though was nice to see. William’s engagements largely came on his visit Down Under with two events where he laid wreaths to do with the commemorations of the end of WWII while others were watching the Rugby – which from memory was the reason he actually went to NZ. Andrew was very busy as Trade Representative with many weeks away from home on behalf of the nation and we should remember that Beatrice didn’t go to boarding school so presumably Sarah was at home during this time or…did Beatrice stay with her grandparents when her father went overseas??? I think it is interesting as well that we are constantly being told that Sophie only worked part-time when she was a new mum and yet she is averaging around 200 a year in the first two years of being a new mum.

HM The Queen - 489
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 403
HRH The Prince of Wales - 475
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall – 168
HRH Prince William of Wales - 9
HRH The Duke of York - 505
HRH Princess Eugenie of York -0
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 327
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 226
HRH The Princess Royal - 616
Tim Laurence - 84, (age 50)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 242
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 176
HRH The Duke of Kent - 219
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 6
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 13
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 12
HRH Princess Alexandra - 101

TOTAL:
2005 – 4073
2013 – 3687

Last year they did 386 engagements fewer than were done in 2005.

Comparing Sophie's figures to Kate's figures is embarrassing for Kate. Sophie was apparently "part time" when she first had children as she wanted to be near her kids (naturally), yet she still managed to do 200 odd engagements. I know people say that William is not a "full time" Royal but even so - he is 2nd in line to the throne...Sophie married the 7th in line (at the time) to the throne and still manages to do more.

Thank you so much for doing this!

Sophie did not marry a "full time royal"...Edward worked when she met and married him. He only became a full time Royal in 2002, the same year Sophie did. Yes they did learn the ropes from their husbands, which Catherine can do/has done over the past 3 years.

This is not the place to discuss this though, so we shall go back to topic.

As I am on school holidays again I will try to complete this analysis before the New Year.

Here are my figures for 2006 – Camilla’s first full year as a member of the royal family. Andrew was very busy as Trade Representative with many weeks away from home on behalf of the nation again and there were even days on which he carried out 10 engagements in a day. What is becoming clearer is that as The Queen and Philip aged Charles stepped more and more to take over some of the work from them. The number of engagements between 2005 and 2006 is almost the same although many individual royals made biggish changes up or down.

Here are the figures for 2006

HM The Queen - 507
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 427
HRH The Prince of Wales - 501
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall – 222
HRH Prince William of Wales - 14
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 6
HRH The Duke of York - 434
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 4
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 4
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 411
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 245
HRH The Princess Royal - 561
Tim Laurence - 42
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 233
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 121
HRH The Duke of Kent - 215
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 2
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 8
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 7
HRH Princess Alexandra - 127

TOTAL:
2005 – 4073
2006 – 4091
2013 – 3687

Last year they did 404 engagements fewer than were done in 2006.

Here are my figures for 2007. I found it interesting that this was the busiest year since 2002, which had been a Jubilee year. Andrew’s figures include the fact that he was held the special position in the Church of Scotland which resulted in about 30 engagements in the week of the synod. The same thing is happening this year (2014) for Edward who holds that position and Sophie as his consort. It should also be noted, I think, the Sophie was pregnant with James for much of the year as he was born in December.

Here are the figures for 2007

HM The Queen - 522
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 427
HRH The Prince of Wales - 517
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall – 211
HRH Prince William of Wales - 15
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 12
HRH The Duke of York - 573
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 2
HRH Princess Eugenie of York -2
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 361
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 158
HRH The Princess Royal - 616
Tim Laurence - 69
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 353
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 156
HRH The Duke of Kent - 233
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 7
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 8
HRH Princess Alexandra - 119

TOTAL:
2005 – 4073
2006 – 4091
2007 – 4368
2013 – 3687

Last year they did 681 engagements fewer than they did in 2007.

It will be fascinating to see these final figures on a graph for the past 15 years, because we will be able to see the fluctuations of older royals slowing down and younger ones taking on more work, and also how soon the workload of new royals (William, Kate, Harry, Camilla, Edward, Sophie) picks up.

Thanks again Bertie for all your hard work! :)

Here are my figures for 2008. I would like to point out that Sophie’s figures are down as she was on maternity leave for the first 6 months of the year after James’ birth. This was also, I think, the first time that Charles topped the total for the year. Anne had done so for about a decade taking over from her father. Beatrice and Eugenie weren’t mentioned at all in the CC and Andrew didn’t attend the Trooping of the Colour as he had his own engagements with regiments in Yorkshire so they may not have attended but if they did they weren’t mentioned and so don’t get a credit for attending.

Here are the figures for 2008.

HM The Queen - 536
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 407

HRH The Prince of Wales - 569
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall – 236
HRH Prince William of Wales - 20

HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 20
HRH The Duke of York - 547

HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 0
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 331
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 66

HRH The Princess Royal - 542
Tim Laurence - 42
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 306
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester – 141
HRH The Duke of Kent - 214
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 1

HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 4
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 4
HRH Princess Alexandra - 112

TOTAL:
2005 – 4073
2006 – 4091
2007 – 4368
2008 – 4098
2013 – 3687

Last year they did 411 engagements fewer than they did in 2008.

66 for Sophie? I know she was on maternity leave although I don't think she went back until September but I feel that is a low number but perhaps it's not.

These are always so fascinating to see how the numbers change year to year and it's interesting to see that Camilla did 236 and Charles did 569 - basically twice as much.

That is correct - she was on maternity leave until basically after the August break but she did do some engagements in July.

She also still had Louise at home as a toddler so she probably took off a bit more time as a result.

Here are my figures for 2009. Again Andrew didn’t attend Trooping the Colour according to the CC but unlike 2007 he also didn’t have other engagements. There were the usual range of engagements with most of the family undertaking a couple of overseas tours as well as a lot of engagements at home. The numbers were significantly down on earlier years.

NB These are my figures and will no doubt differ from those put out by Mr O'Donovan whose figures have been published annually. We don't always count things the same way.

Here are the figures for 2009.

HM The Queen - 435
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 348
HRH The Prince of Wales - 520

HRH The Duchess of Cornwall – 252
HRH Prince William of Wales - 29
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 15
HRH The Duke of York - 487
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 1
HRH Princess Eugenie of York -1

HRH The Earl of Wessex - 335
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 165
HRH The Princess Royal - 542
Tim Laurence - 39
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 235
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester – 110
HRH The Duke of Kent - 224
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 5

HRH Princess Alexandra - 106

TOTAL:
2005 – 4073
2006 – 4091
2007 – 4368
2008 – 4098
2009 – 3863
2013 – 3687

Last year they did 175 engagements fewer than they did in 2009.

Here are my figures for 2010. A full year in 2010 with many overseas tours for everyone. There were the usual range of engagements with most of the family undertaking a couple of overseas tours as well as a lot of engagements at home.

Here are the figures for 2010

HM The Queen - 545
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 389

HRH The Prince of Wales – 622
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall – 254
HRH Prince William of Wales - 69
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 51
HRH The Duke of York - 578
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 1
HRH Princess Eugenie of York -1
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 385
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 198
HRH The Princess Royal - 511

Tim Laurence - 53
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 303
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester – 134
HRH The Duke of Kent - 230
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 5
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 6
HRH Princess Alexandra - 86

TOTAL:
2005 – 4073
2006 – 4091
2007 – 4368
2008 – 4098
2009 – 3863
2010 – 4423
2013 – 3687

Last year they did 736 engagements fewer than they did in 2010.

Do we just need figures for 2011 and 2012 now? Then we can put the figures onto a graph and be able to see, presumably, the pace at which the older royals are slowing down, alongside the young ones who hopefully are increasing their workload.

Sorry - will put up 2011 later today. 2012 was the first year that I did the week by week analysis so they should be here somewhere - although I have changed some of my counting since then so probably should redo them using the technique I now use, which I have used since 2013 and for all the years from 2000 onwards.

Here are my figures for 2011.

Here are the figures for 2011, age turned in 2011, figures for 2013, age turned in 2013, and the difference between the two years.

Interesting that every member of the family, except The Duchess of Gloucester dropped the number of engagements they completed between 2011 and 2013.

HM The Queen – 509, (age - 85), 394 (age 87) – 115
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 381, (age 90), 203 (age 92) – 106
HRH The Prince of Wales – 578, (age 63), 590 (age 65) - 12
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall – 271, (age 64), 263 (age 66)- 8
HRH The Duke of Cambridge – 88, (age 29), 66 (age 31) – 22
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge – 58(age 29), 44 (age 31) - 14
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 20, (age 28), 57 (age 29) – 37
HRH The Duke of York - 492, (age 51), 366 (age 53) – 126
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 7, (age 23), 9 (age 25) - 2
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 9, (age 21), 5 (age 23) - 4
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 404, (age 47), 338 (age 49) - 66
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 220, (age 46) 234 (age 48) - 14
HRH The Princess Royal - 568, (age 61), 477 (age 63) – 109
Tim Laurence - 87, (age 55), 32 (age 59) – 55
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 260, (age 67) - 222 (age 68) – 38
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester – 159, (age 65), 140 (age 67) + 19
HRH The Duke of Kent - 217, (age 76), 206 (age 78) – 11
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 2, (78), 2 (age 80)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 13, (age 69), 7 (age 71) – 6
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 12, (age 66), 6 (age 68) – 6
HRH Princess Alexandra - 132, (age 75), 26 (age 77) – 106

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom