The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2005, 06:54 PM

Re:

Quote:
Parliament is ultimately sovereign and the monarch must accept the advice of the Government at all
I disagree strongly there but that isn't what this is about. Parliament cannot stop the Queen going to a family wedding. She could pay the air-fare from her personal funds and be treated just the same as if the Government had paid for her to go. "Sorry Ma'am but you can't go to your cousin's wedding anniversary party 'cos we don't like their Prime Minister" - I can't see that going down well at all.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, the King and Queen of Spain boycotted Charles and Diana's wedding because they were going to embark on their Mediterranean honeymoon cruise from Gibraltar, so it's certainly possible that political considerations can override the desire of a monarch to attend a wedding of the extended European family.

On the other hand, I really doubt that the government has told the Queen not to go to European royal weddings and funerals because the government doesn't want to bother about all those nasty foreigners or something equally unlikely.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:37 PM

Re:

Quote:
Well, the King and Queen of Spain boycotted Charles and Diana's wedding
There was that wonderful quote from the Queen ;

"It's my son, it's my yacht and it's my territory"

One of her finer moments.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

So much for international relations...
Old 10-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Royal Highness

Charles and Diana did vacation with the Spanish Royals. There is a picture of them with the boys and the Spanish Royals sitting on some steps..very relaxed.

After last year's fiasco at his son's wedding, I think the heir to the Italian throne will be the last person the King of Spain invites to any family affair. :)
Old 10-27-2005, 07:44 PM

Re:

Quote:
I think the heir to the Italian throne will be the last person the King of Spain invites to any family affair
That was glorious. Smacked in the mouth and got caught by Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Royal Highness

The Duke of Aosta was hit in the mouth by his cousin, Prince Prince Emanuele, heir to the Italian throne.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
Charles and Diana did vacation with the Spanish Royals. There is a picture of them with the boys and the Spanish Royals sitting on some steps..very relaxed.
Actualy they spent several vacations with the spanish royals. Those pics on the stairs of the Palma de Maiorca's royal palace were taken in 1987. They also were there in 1988 and in 1990 (there're pics with Diana, Charles and the boys with spanish and greek royals in the royal yatch. Charles had is arm banded, injured in a polo match).
Old 10-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Courtier

The government wouldn't let EIIR attend the celebrations in Iran because of the political and security situation, and she was banned from going to Anne-Marie's wedding in 1964 for the same reasons, so yes, the government can stand in her way. She cannot oppose the government -- ever -- for any reasons.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
I think the wedding boycott was simply because of the use of Gibraltar for the honeymoon - nothing longer-term than that. If memory serves, royal correspondents went to some lengths at the time to assure people that this wasn't a personal snub and that the Spanish and British royal families were very good friends, but it was a political response to what was seen as an unnecessary provocation.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
That was glorious. Smacked in the mouth and got caught by Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes!
One of my favourite royal stories! punch up just like at some bogan family wedding!
Old 02-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
I think King Baudin was an exeption. Wasnt she good friends with the late King or something. Or maybe she respected him much more than any other soverign. I think she went to that funeral for personal reasons and broke protocal.
I totally agree with you :) The King Baudouin Ier was the longest reign monarch of the Europe before he died... After that, It was to the Prince Rainier III... and right now, it is HM Elizabeth II!
That is why HM Elizabeth II wanted to pay tribune hommage to the King Baudouin Ier, just for personal reasons and no protocal at all (it was very very exception and rare) As I am belgian, I remembered that Elizabeth II was sitting on 3rd or 4rh row behind the Royal Belgian Family and the others Royal European (included the Prince Rainier III he was also there) in the Church. You know the Belgians were very very touched and unexpected by her unusual arrival for the King Baudouin's funeral.

I have some pics of her but I will search... :)
Enclosed you hereby find the pictures of the Funeral... Almost of Belgians were very very sad of losing his lovely and most respect King Baudouin Ier.

Kindly Regards,

http://i1.tinypic.com/n2zcm0.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/n2ze3t.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/n2zeau.jpg
Old 02-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Do you think she is liberal? I see her as a good Monarch. She's serious when she needs to be and the rest of the time, she isn't afraid to beam from ear to ear in her outrageous hats, waving, smiling and generally interacting with the people. I'm sure she can be very regal when she wants to be. Much like Queen Margrethe, Beatrix doesn't seem as stuffy as Elizabeth and she actually seems to enjoy herself not like Elizabeth who sometimes comes across as 'I'm so miserable. Why do I have to do this?'
The Queen Beatrix is a wonderful and very human person, very close to the Dutch people, as an example, I watched on the TV, The Queen Beatrix has served herself some coffees to the elder people!! She is very caring of people!
Old 02-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
I think King Baudin was an exeption. Wasnt she good friends with the late King or something. Or maybe she respected him much more than any other soverign. I think she went to that funeral for personal reasons and broke protocal.
As I promise to posted several pictures that Elizabeth II attented to the funeral of our lovely King Baudouin Ier of the Belgians. :o
The Queen Elizabeth II was in the second row beside the Baudouin's coffin.
I think It was the last funeral that the Queen Elizabeth II attented outside Britain.

Thank you The Queen Elizabeth II for coming to the funeral of our lovely King Baudouin Ier, the belgians have really appreciated and touched by the unusual coming of Elizabeth II :o

Kindly Regards,
Old 02-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Courtier

EIIR's own advisers have stated she had to be forced to attend the funeral. She was, according to them, planning to send Charles, but her advisers claimed that, because she was on holiday, it would look churlish of her not to attend herself. No one connected to EIIR has ever said she went because she wanted to; they've always said she went because she was told it would look bad. That doesn't speak of a special relationship between the two to me. But then again, EIIR is criticized by her own family members and lifelong friends for her reactions to death, so it's not surprising. Mountbatten's daughters have criticized her for never actually saying to them that she was sorry for the loss of their father, though she wrote a six-page letter when one of them lost a dog.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Aristocracy

Why has Queen Elizabeth II never attended Weddings/Funerals Abroad?

As many guest lists from all over the years indicate, with the exception of the late Belgian King's Funeral, Queen Elizabeth II has never attended any such event. Has this issue ever been discussed by any of her biographers, or any other reason for this 'policy?'
Old 02-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Nobility

The Queen's appointments and social calendar are arranged well over a year in advance. Funerals generally aren't. It would be difficult for the Queen to drop a scheduled engagement or dissapoint dignitaries to attend a funeral. Therefore she generally makes use of a family member ensuring they earn their keep.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui mal y pense
The Queen's appointments and social calendar are arranged well over a year in advance. Funerals generally aren't. It would be difficult for the Queen to drop a scheduled engagement or dissapoint dignitaries to attend a funeral. Therefore she generally makes use of a family member ensuring they earn their keep.
That could hardly be a reason, All Heads of States social calendar are arranged well over a year in advance and they attend those occasions. Not to mention, that wedding are planned quite a long time ahead.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Courtier

When someone important dies, many head of states, presidents, royals cancel previous appts to assist. Even prince Charles changed his wedding day in order to attend the Pope's funeral. So I dont think that is a reason.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, it's a reason, just not all that convincing a reason. She doesn't tend to go to weddings either, even though there's a longer lead time and presumably her engagements could be rearranged. Yet European and Asian heads of state have shown up to British royal weddings.

Perhaps she's still punishing them for boycotting Princess Margaret's wedding to a mere commoner, but that would be a long time to hold a grudge.

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii