The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 10-27-2005, 06:54 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Re:

Quote:
Parliament is ultimately sovereign and the monarch must accept the advice of the Government at all
I disagree strongly there but that isn't what this is about. Parliament cannot stop the Queen going to a family wedding. She could pay the air-fare from her personal funds and be treated just the same as if the Government had paid for her to go. "Sorry Ma'am but you can't go to your cousin's wedding anniversary party 'cos we don't like their Prime Minister" - I can't see that going down well at all.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 10-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Well, the King and Queen of Spain boycotted Charles and Diana's wedding because they were going to embark on their Mediterranean honeymoon cruise from Gibraltar, so it's certainly possible that political considerations can override the desire of a monarch to attend a wedding of the extended European family.

On the other hand, I really doubt that the government has told the Queen not to go to European royal weddings and funerals because the government doesn't want to bother about all those nasty foreigners or something equally unlikely.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 10-27-2005, 07:37 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Re:

Quote:
Well, the King and Queen of Spain boycotted Charles and Diana's wedding
There was that wonderful quote from the Queen ;

"It's my son, it's my yacht and it's my territory"

One of her finer moments.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 10-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
So much for international relations...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 10-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 1,532
Charles and Diana did vacation with the Spanish Royals. There is a picture of them with the boys and the Spanish Royals sitting on some steps..very relaxed.

After last year's fiasco at his son's wedding, I think the heir to the Italian throne will be the last person the King of Spain invites to any family affair. :)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 10-27-2005, 07:44 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Re:

Quote:
I think the heir to the Italian throne will be the last person the King of Spain invites to any family affair
That was glorious. Smacked in the mouth and got caught by Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 10-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 1,532
The Duke of Aosta was hit in the mouth by his cousin, Prince Prince Emanuele, heir to the Italian throne.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 10-27-2005, 07:59 PM
xicamaluca's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Portugal, Portugal
Posts: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
Charles and Diana did vacation with the Spanish Royals. There is a picture of them with the boys and the Spanish Royals sitting on some steps..very relaxed.
...
Actualy they spent several vacations with the spanish royals. Those pics on the stairs of the Palma de Maiorca's royal palace were taken in 1987. They also were there in 1988 and in 1990 (there're pics with Diana, Charles and the boys with spanish and greek royals in the royal yatch. Charles had is arm banded, injured in a polo match).
__________________
Xica
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 10-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, United States
Posts: 853
The government wouldn't let EIIR attend the celebrations in Iran because of the political and security situation, and she was banned from going to Anne-Marie's wedding in 1964 for the same reasons, so yes, the government can stand in her way. She cannot oppose the government -- ever -- for any reasons.
__________________
Kelly D
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 10-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
Charles and Diana did vacation with the Spanish Royals. There is a picture of them with the boys and the Spanish Royals sitting on some steps..very relaxed.
I think the wedding boycott was simply because of the use of Gibraltar for the honeymoon - nothing longer-term than that. If memory serves, royal correspondents went to some lengths at the time to assure people that this wasn't a personal snub and that the Spanish and British royal families were very good friends, but it was a political response to what was seen as an unnecessary provocation.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 10-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Aussie Princess's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: n/a, Australia
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
That was glorious. Smacked in the mouth and got caught by Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes!
One of my favourite royal stories! punch up just like at some bogan family wedding!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 02-02-2006, 06:59 PM
le_ptit_diablotin's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
I think King Baudin was an exeption. Wasnt she good friends with the late King or something. Or maybe she respected him much more than any other soverign. I think she went to that funeral for personal reasons and broke protocal.
I totally agree with you :) The King Baudouin Ier was the longest reign monarch of the Europe before he died... After that, It was to the Prince Rainier III... and right now, it is HM Elizabeth II!
That is why HM Elizabeth II wanted to pay tribune hommage to the King Baudouin Ier, just for personal reasons and no protocal at all (it was very very exception and rare) As I am belgian, I remembered that Elizabeth II was sitting on 3rd or 4rh row behind the Royal Belgian Family and the others Royal European (included the Prince Rainier III he was also there) in the Church. You know the Belgians were very very touched and unexpected by her unusual arrival for the King Baudouin's funeral.

I have some pics of her but I will search... :)
Enclosed you hereby find the pictures of the Funeral... Almost of Belgians were very very sad of losing his lovely and most respect King Baudouin Ier.

Kindly Regards,

http://i1.tinypic.com/n2zcm0.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/n2ze3t.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/n2zeau.jpg
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 02-02-2006, 07:19 PM
le_ptit_diablotin's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Do you think she is liberal? I see her as a good Monarch. She's serious when she needs to be and the rest of the time, she isn't afraid to beam from ear to ear in her outrageous hats, waving, smiling and generally interacting with the people. I'm sure she can be very regal when she wants to be. Much like Queen Margrethe, Beatrix doesn't seem as stuffy as Elizabeth and she actually seems to enjoy herself not like Elizabeth who sometimes comes across as 'I'm so miserable. Why do I have to do this?'
The Queen Beatrix is a wonderful and very human person, very close to the Dutch people, as an example, I watched on the TV, The Queen Beatrix has served herself some coffees to the elder people!! She is very caring of people!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 02-04-2006, 05:28 PM
le_ptit_diablotin's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
I think King Baudin was an exeption. Wasnt she good friends with the late King or something. Or maybe she respected him much more than any other soverign. I think she went to that funeral for personal reasons and broke protocal.
As I promise to posted several pictures that Elizabeth II attented to the funeral of our lovely King Baudouin Ier of the Belgians. :o
The Queen Elizabeth II was in the second row beside the Baudouin's coffin.
I think It was the last funeral that the Queen Elizabeth II attented outside Britain.







Thank you The Queen Elizabeth II for coming to the funeral of our lovely King Baudouin Ier, the belgians have really appreciated and touched by the unusual coming of Elizabeth II :o

Kindly Regards,
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 02-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, United States
Posts: 853
EIIR's own advisers have stated she had to be forced to attend the funeral. She was, according to them, planning to send Charles, but her advisers claimed that, because she was on holiday, it would look churlish of her not to attend herself. No one connected to EIIR has ever said she went because she wanted to; they've always said she went because she was told it would look bad. That doesn't speak of a special relationship between the two to me. But then again, EIIR is criticized by her own family members and lifelong friends for her reactions to death, so it's not surprising. Mountbatten's daughters have criticized her for never actually saying to them that she was sorry for the loss of their father, though she wrote a six-page letter when one of them lost a dog.
__________________
Kelly D
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 02-21-2006, 12:28 PM
hofburg's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Posts: 120
Why has Queen Elizabeth II never attended Weddings/Funerals Abroad?

As many guest lists from all over the years indicate, with the exception of the late Belgian King's Funeral, Queen Elizabeth II has never attended any such event. Has this issue ever been discussed by any of her biographers, or any other reason for this 'policy?'
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 02-21-2006, 12:39 PM
qui mal y pense's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: spring valley, United States
Posts: 259
The Queen's appointments and social calendar are arranged well over a year in advance. Funerals generally aren't. It would be difficult for the Queen to drop a scheduled engagement or dissapoint dignitaries to attend a funeral. Therefore she generally makes use of a family member ensuring they earn their keep.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 02-21-2006, 12:46 PM
hofburg's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by qui mal y pense
The Queen's appointments and social calendar are arranged well over a year in advance. Funerals generally aren't. It would be difficult for the Queen to drop a scheduled engagement or dissapoint dignitaries to attend a funeral. Therefore she generally makes use of a family member ensuring they earn their keep.
That could hardly be a reason, All Heads of States social calendar are arranged well over a year in advance and they attend those occasions. Not to mention, that wedding are planned quite a long time ahead.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 02-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Ariel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 555
When someone important dies, many head of states, presidents, royals cancel previous appts to assist. Even prince Charles changed his wedding day in order to attend the Pope's funeral. So I dont think that is a reason.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 02-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Well, it's a reason, just not all that convincing a reason. She doesn't tend to go to weddings either, even though there's a longer lead time and presumably her engagements could be rearranged. Yet European and Asian heads of state have shown up to British royal weddings.

Perhaps she's still punishing them for boycotting Princess Margaret's wedding to a mere commoner, but that would be a long time to hold a grudge.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games olympics ottoman picture of the month poland pom president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]