The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1041  
Old 05-24-2018, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
It was announced ahead of time that only those with personal ties to the couple will be invited. Unless one of them has a relationship with Harry that Harry doesn't know about, I'm not sure why they'd be miffed.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1042  
Old 05-24-2018, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 5,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
A beautiful thought, but IMO unlikely to happen.
Spain, the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway and Sweden did not take part in WWI.
.

And many of the countries that did take part such as Italy, Russia, Germany, Austria-Hungary, Serbia, or the Ottoman Empire, are no longer monarchies, or don't even exist anymore in their original 1914 borders. Others like France were already republics back then and still are.



Nevertheless, a major international celebration on Armistice day this year is warranted IMHO, and I hope all major involved countries can take part.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1043  
Old 05-25-2018, 08:50 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
A beautiful thought, but IMO unlikely to happen.
Spain, the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway and Sweden did not take part in WWI.
It would, I think, be considered almost intrusive for the heads of states of these countries to have too high a profile in such an event.
2045 might be a better year for such an event.

My perspective is that it should not be an 'official' commemoration limited to belligerent countries but a way for the greater European Royal family, no matter what side it was on back then, to signal that a century later the greater family has moved on and the divisions of the past are in the past.



I take your point that members of reigning houses, especially those on or very near the throne might have to bow to the agendas of their politicians, but in these times of populism and division, the Royals are uniquely placed, as a truly European family whose ancestors witnessed/presided over one of the most horrendous, futile, destructive wars in history, to remind us of the human links that exist across the continent.
Reply With Quote
  #1044  
Old 05-25-2018, 09:06 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 12,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
My perspective is that it should not be an 'official' commemoration limited to belligerent countries but a way for the greater European Royal family, no matter what side it was on back then, to signal that a century later the greater family has moved on and the divisions of the past are in the past.



I take your point that members of reigning houses, especially those on or very near the throne might have to bow to the agendas of their politicians, but in these times of populism and division, the Royals are uniquely placed, as a truly European family whose ancestors witnessed/presided over one of the most horrendous, futile, destructive wars in history, to remind us of the human links that exist across the continent.
Like I said. A beautiful thought, we may hope something like that takes place in 2045.
Reply With Quote
  #1045  
Old 05-25-2018, 09:17 AM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,337
1918 - 100 years Commemoration

There is an event planned for 11th November at St Semphorien, near Mons.
I haven't seen any info on who will attend.

In the UK, Remembrance Sunday (11th November) commemorations will take place, and there is an Abbey Service happening as well later in the day. There are also church services to be held in Glasgow, Cardiff and Belfast.

I think members of the BRF will attend all of the services in the UK. Hopefully they will send representatives to Mons.

I don't know if there will be any events in the Realms.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #1046  
Old 05-31-2018, 04:05 AM
Tiggersk8's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Evansville, Canada
Posts: 2,180
Canada has a National Service of Remembrance at the National War Memorial every November 11th. W/this year being 100 years since the Armistice was signed, it will be even more moving to watch this year.
__________________
Recycle Life ~ Be An Organ Donor!!
Recieved my Kidney Transplant on December 10th, 1993 and will be forever grateful to the family of my donor for the greatest earliest Christmas Present I've ever been given
Reply With Quote
  #1047  
Old 05-31-2018, 04:11 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 12,387
There will be something in Australia but Remembrance Day isn't the main day for remembrance here. That is ANZAC Day.

The GG and PM will probably do something at the War Memorial in Canberra as per usual while in each state the Governors and Premiers will attend events at the state war memorials.

In local communities it will depend on the community itself.

It is on a Sunday of course so a lot of people will be able to attend if interested or simply spend the day at home with friends etc and do nothing.

Most schools will do something either on the Friday before or Monday after (my school will see a couple of Year 10 students organise something as part of their leadership commitment to the school so they can become prefects next year - usually a short flag lowering ceremony, the last post, a few words, the ode, raising the flag and back to class).
Reply With Quote
  #1048  
Old 10-24-2018, 04:36 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 9,709
During the traditional press moment at the end of the State Visit King Willem-Alexander told that the relationship with the Windsors was close. Already as a young boy he came at Buckingham Palace. Last June the Orange-Nassaus were guests at Windsor, so revealed the King.

At the reception with Charles and Camilla it became clear the King already knew Clarence House. (Probably he made visits to the Queen Mum).

The journalists asked if the King and Queen have seen The Crown? Queen Mxima: "Yes, a few episodes. But there is no comparison between the Queen as we know, and the one in The Crown."

Asked about the Stuart Diamond making a re-ppearance in Britain, if the Queen had a headache? Mxima: "Not at all". It especially made her proud to wear these historic jewels, she told.
Reply With Quote
  #1049  
Old 11-03-2018, 04:16 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
If he knows them so well how come he hardly ever attends THEIR weddings or birthday parties? I dotn believe he is very bothered about the other royal families, and will be inviting his own friends and close family to his 70th...
The BRF actually is in regular contact with, and maintains close personal relations with most of the European royal families. They just do it privately, away from the glares of the camera. There have been plenty of examples of this: the recent revelation that W-A and Max had dined with the Queen at Windsor in June, the revelation in 2012 that Silvia had visited C&C at Highgrove...... Silvia, Beatrix and Margarethe have all been regular visitors to see the Queen privately, as have the NRF.

My sense is that the reticence for senior British royals to appear in public at events with other European royals goes back to the early part of the last century, perhaps more specifically, WW1, and the rebranding of the BRF to the Windsors. A number of the other European royal families were seen to be too close to each other, and alienated from their own people, leading eventually to a lot of the monarchies falling.
Reply With Quote
  #1050  
Old 11-03-2018, 04:58 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,882
George V and Mary and their sons were still close to many European monarchies in between the wars, some of them relatives (ie the Romanians and the Spanish) and there were exchanges of visits.

There has been a hiatus, though Elizabeth was never a keen party goer, after Charles's divorce and the age gap between him and other heirs grew greater after abdications brought them to the throne.
Reply With Quote
  #1051  
Old 11-03-2018, 05:10 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malm, Sweden
Posts: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I am surprised Kate would be invited as she was not yet engaged to William at that time (June 2010 ?).
Charlene was also not engaged to her future husband and she was both invited to and attended the wedding.
This is what the media reported so we can't take it to seriously.
What's clear about Victoria's wedding is that seemingly everyone was invited and many of them came.
Reply With Quote
  #1052  
Old 11-03-2018, 05:38 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pemberley View Post
People seem very quick to suggest that the Wessexes are unimportant.
I'
but its not whether they are unimportant.. it is what sending them suggests.. and it does seem to suggest to the British public that the BRF regards the other royal families as people tht they only maintain a very limited contact with, whether ti sends a similar message to foreign countries or not I don't know, but they may also feel that a fairly junior couple have been sent to visit their King.. so the BRF don't rate their country as very important..
sorry perhaps tis is OT, so please delete it>?
Reply With Quote
  #1053  
Old 11-03-2018, 06:03 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malm, Sweden
Posts: 2,685
I do believe that this is all in our heads and not something the royals themselves spend much time thinking about. If they did I don't think that many of them would turn up to the big celebrations in the UK.
Reply With Quote
  #1054  
Old 11-03-2018, 06:32 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I do believe that this is all in our heads and not something the royals themselves spend much time thinking about. If they did I don't think that many of them would turn up to the big celebrations in the UK.
They may do so in the spirit that many of us go to parties and functions to do with work,,,,
Reply With Quote
  #1055  
Old 11-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 12,725
No matter the reason, as it is right now, with the current Brexit negotiations, we should not expect the BRF being seen too much rubbing shoulders with Continental European royals.
Some might see that as rocking the boat needlessly.

Meeting Continental royals in an official context, yes.
But in a more social context, which the 70th B-day of an heir is, no.

There are many ways this could be willfully misinterpreted.
Reply With Quote
  #1056  
Old 11-03-2018, 07:53 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The BRF actually is in regular contact with, and maintains close personal relations with most of the European royal families. They just do it privately, away from the glares of the camera. There have been plenty of examples of this: the recent revelation that W-A and Max had dined with the Queen at Windsor in June, the revelation in 2012 that Silvia had visited C&C at Highgrove...... Silvia, Beatrix and Margarethe have all been regular visitors to see the Queen privately, as have the NRF.

My sense is that the reticence for senior British royals to appear in public at events with other European royals goes back to the early part of the last century, perhaps more specifically, WW1, and the rebranding of the BRF to the Windsors. A number of the other European royal families were seen to be too close to each other, and alienated from their own people, leading eventually to a lot of the monarchies falling.
It all sounds rather onesided. The other royals visit the British royals at times when do the British royals visit their colleagues? This to me still sends the message that both the British and the Continental royals see the British as higher in the pecking order.
Reply With Quote
  #1057  
Old 11-03-2018, 08:49 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It all sounds rather onesided. The other royals visit the British royals at times when do the British royals visit their colleagues? This to me still sends the message that both the British and the Continental royals see the British as higher in the pecking order.
What we do not know is if the British do visit their counterparts privately. This, IMIO, is by design. If these visits take place, they are entirely private visits, and therefore, remain in the private domain.
Reply With Quote
  #1058  
Old 11-03-2018, 09:05 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
What we do not know is if the British do visit their counterparts privately. This, IMIO, is by design. If these visits take place, they are entirely private visits, and therefore, remain in the private domain.
The visits to the British royals are also private but we do know about at least some of them. So, I would expect that we would know about at least a few if they would regularly occur.
Reply With Quote
  #1059  
Old 11-06-2018, 05:25 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pemberley View Post
People seem very quick to suggest that the Wessexes are unimportant. It's hardly like HM has been sending the Harewoods as her representatives at foreign Royal events recently and has desperately been waiting for one of her closer family members to marry/become full time working royals so she can send someone more senior instead! Let's not forget that despite now being tenth in the order of succession, from the time of their marriage until the second wedding of the Prince of Wales, the Wessexes were actually the second highest couple in the order of seniority after HM and the DoE. Even after the weddings of Charles, William and Harry over the last decade or so, the Wessexes are still the fifth most senior couple in the BRF.

I'd say that HM perhaps divides foreign Royal events into ones where she is invited as British Head of State and those where she is invited as distant cousin Elizabeth. The PoW it seems is usually deployed as her representative at the former, whilst the Wessexes have attended when it's the latter. As Charles takes on more of HMs role I'd say we might see the Cambridges taking on some of the former events but that Edward and Sophie are likely to retain the latter ones as being represented at a family event by one of your children is more personal than being represented by one of your grandchildren.
The comparison would typically be: all royal houses send the king/queen and/or crown princely couple (so head of state and/or first in line to the throne, sometimes accompanied by siblings), while the BRF sends the youngest brother of the crown prince. So, it's not that Edward and Sophie are unimportant but in comparison the British representation is clearly lower in the pecking order than all other royal guests within their respective monarchies.

I would probably qualify your category of the queen being invited as 'the distant cousin' as 'fellow royals' but I see where you are getting at: for example Charles did attend the inauguration of king Willem-Alexander while he would typically leave (more recent) weddings or birthday parties to his youngest brother. Nonetheless, the continental royals are eager enough to show up at the few British parties that they get an invite to and don't send the 'siblings' to those festivities.
Reply With Quote
  #1060  
Old 11-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The comparison would typically be: all royal houses send the king/queen and/or crown princely couple (so head of state and/or first in line to the throne, sometimes accompanied by siblings), while the BRF sends the youngest brother of the crown prince. So, it's not that Edward and Sophie are unimportant but in comparison the British representation is clearly lower in the pecking order than all other royal guests within their respective monarchies.

I would probably qualify your category of the queen being invited as 'the distant cousin' as 'fellow royals' but I see where you are getting at: for example Charles did attend the inauguration of king Willem-Alexander while he would typically leave (more recent) weddings or birthday parties to his youngest brother. Nonetheless, the continental royals are eager enough to show up at the few British parties that they get an invite to and don't send the 'siblings' to those festivities.


I completely agree with your comments above, however I'd say there are a couple of lines of argument that can be given in response to the points you raise.

I don't follow the European Royals particularly closely (particularly who attended what) however European Royal families always seem much smaller. What I mean is that just because Edward is HMs fourth child or is now tenth in line to the throne, I don't think that this necessarily means that him attending an event is equal to someone with a much smaller family sending someone who was also tenth in line to the throne. I'd argue that Edward was a mid-level Royal whilst any siblings in European Royal families would seem to be more minor and perhaps more equivalent to the Gloucesters or Kents in respect to the roles they play, regardless of the actual relationship to the monarch?

As I mentioned before I'd also argue that Edward and Sophie's importance at these events has also been influenced by the lack of other couples in the BRF to send. From the time of their marriage until Charles married Camilla, the Wessexes were the second couple in the land after HM and the DoE. Clearly this doesn't give him the importance of the monarch or Crown Princely couples who might be attending from elsewhere, but does in a way give a similar precedence if couples only were considered.

Obviously they had slipped down to fourth after the wedding of William and Catherine, but then went back to third from the retirement of the DoE to Harry and Meghan's wedding this spring. Maybe HM feels that having been the suitable couple to send to these events when the only other choice was to send a single man with no escort, Edward and Sophie have carved a niche for themselves in Royal duties and it would now be unfair to start sending the Cambridges or the Sussexes? Do we know if representatives from other countries at these festitivites have included single men or women or if it is usual for a couple to attend?

I suppose my attempt to separate events when HM was invited as Head of State rather than as a distant family member or fellow royal as you prefer, was to try and differentiate between occasions where who is sent is representing the UK and those where they are just representing HM. I can see that if the UK was invited to an event and didn't send the monarch or next in line, this could easily be classed as a snub. If HM chooses to send her youngest rather than eldest son to represent her personally at a family event though, I would say this is a different situation? Arguably by sending one of her children, rather than one of her grandchildren, this is a sign that HM wanted to send somebody she feels is closer to her as this may feel more personal?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
alqasimi aristocracy armenia belgian royal family birthday celebration castles charles of wales countess of snowdon crown crown prince hussein crown prince hussein's future wife crown princess victoria current events cyprus danish history denmark duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex dutch history earl of wessex felipe vi foundation french revolution friendly city genealogy germany greece headship henry v house of bourbon house of glucksburg house of orange-nassau house of saxe-coburg and gotha kiko king philippe lady louise mountbatten-windsor lithuanian castles marriage mbs meghan markle monaco christening monaco history monarchist monogram naples nobel 2019 norwegian royal family official visit palaces potential areas prince harry prince of wales prince peter rania of jordan romanov family savoy saxony shakespeare south korea spain spanish history spanish royal state visit sweden swedish royal family swedish royalty united kingdom usa windy city


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises
×