The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-23-2005, 12:55 PM

I Vant to Be Alone

This may have been discussed before, but I can't find a topic along these lines so here goes.

Why oh Why, does QE2 insist on sending her children to big international events. With the exception of King Baudoin's funeral, she never goes to the family weddings, wedding anniversaries, funerals or Jubilees. And yet, everyone attends hers. It really gets on my nerves because an important part of her job is to represent Britain. How does it make us seem? Snooty and snobbish?

I understand she's 79. But come on, she's never really made an effort has she? I mean, would it have hurt her to attend Crown Prince Frederik's wedding? Why couldn't she go to the Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte's Funeral? Or Queen Ingrid's? Beatrix, Carl Gustav et al went to the Queen Mother's Funeral - but Elizabeth just wont.

Is there a reason for this that I've missed? I respect HM greatly and of course, as my Sovereign, she's got my love and loyalty - but as I'm learning more about the other Monarchs, I just see her as being a tad above herself and generally a little starchy. (Sorry Ma'am)

Old 10-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Im not sure how relevant it is, but there was some discussion of the topic in this thread:

The Windsors and Europe

Old 10-23-2005, 01:33 PM

Re;

Ah! Just ignore this one as my little rant!
Old 10-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, it's an interesting topic, considering how many European monarchs show up to British events and how the Queen doesn't return the favour.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:36 PM

Re:

It just makes her look like a grumpy old lady. Why can't I be Lord Chamberlain?!
Old 10-23-2005, 01:39 PM
Serene Highness

Well, it is interesting indeed. It's something I noticed too, since we recently had so many royal weddings and funerals here in Holland and it was always prince Charles who showed up...
Old 10-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.~
I wouldn't bet on it. King Olav was also a reigning monarch at the time of his death, as was Furst Franz of Lichtenstein, but HM did not attend their funerals either. Nor did she attend those of King Frederick, King Gustav Adolf, King Paul, Emperor Hirohito etc. (to name a few).

I understand why the Queen did not attend the funeral of Hirohito, but why she stayed away from the funerals of uncontroversial Scandinavian kings?
Old 10-23-2005, 01:40 PM

Re:

I wonder how she decides who goes in her place? Anne hardly every goes does she?
Old 10-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

personally, I think she gets depressed at how much happier the family lives of most other royal families are....
Old 10-23-2005, 01:47 PM

Re:

Quite possibly PollyEmma. I can't imagine it, but Queen Margrethe must sometimes think, "Another wedding - I need a hat, I don't really like the two who are marrying and the parents are all wrong - but I'll go".
Old 10-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Royal Highness

In the case of funerals, it is protocol that states Her Majesty does not attend funerals of others unless it is a member of her family. She has only made one exception and that is Winston Churchill.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:49 PM

Re:

Well, foreign royalty are her family, albeit extended. I think that this rule of "I only go to the Funerals of my own" is a bit stand-offish.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Well, foreign royalty are her family, albeit extended. I think that this rule of "I only go to the Funerals of my own" is a bit stand-offish.
That is the stated protocol. Perhaps you should write to Her Majesty about this issue?
Old 10-23-2005, 01:53 PM

Re:

Lol. I don't think I'll waste the stamp. I just find it so archaic. I know that Prince Charles wants to bring the Monarchy into the Scandinavian style and I would support him totally. I love the tradition and the pomp, but things like this are just so silly. It makes it seem as if the Windsors consider themselves higher than the Bernadottes, the Glucksburgs, the Nassaus etc.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
That is the stated protocol. Perhaps you should write to Her Majesty about this issue?
Nevertheless, she attended the funeral of the King of Belgians in 1993.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen has a very busy schedule. One must remember that the Queen of the UK is much much more busy than any other soverign in Europe. She has so much to do and many many people and orginizations depend on her. She is always there for her country and repersents her nation to perfection when she does go abroad, which is a lot. She also understands that it does not matter if she goes or not. She is secured and respected and has done a good job as soveriegn. She will try to send the glamourous royals abroad when she can and she will send Charles abroad so people can pay attention to him and how he represent so he can build up more respect for himself. She is trying to secure the royal family.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think King Baudin was an exeption. Wasnt she good friends with the late King or something. Or maybe she respected him much more than any other soverign. I think she went to that funeral for personal reasons and broke protocal.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Lol. I don't think I'll waste the stamp. I just find it so archaic. I know that Prince Charles wants to bring the Monarchy into the Scandinavian style and I would support him totally. I love the tradition and the pomp, but things like this are just so silly. It makes it seem as if the Windsors consider themselves higher than the Bernadottes, the Glucksburgs, the Nassaus etc.
i think Q2 considers the windsors above the other royal families. I agree with you that charles will increase the contacts with his continental colleagues and i'm glad of it.

personally, i really like the pomp and circumstance. in norway and denmark they don't have coronations. what fun is that!
Old 10-23-2005, 01:59 PM

Quote:
The Queen has a very busy schedule. One must remember that the Queen of the UK is much much more busy than any other soverign in Europe. She has so much to do and many many people and orginizations depend on her. She is always there for her country and repersents her nation to perfection when she does go abroad, which is a lot. She also understands that it does not matter if she goes or not. She is secured and respected and has done a good job as soveriegn. She will try to send the glamourous royals abroad when she can and she will send Charles abroad so people can pay attention to him and how he represent so he can build up more respect for himself. She is trying to secure the royal family.
I can understand that but Weddings and Funerals are unique events. Crown Prince Frederik will only marry once (we hope!) - she can open a fountain or unveil a statue at any time of the year. I would argue that her schedule isn't as hectic as any other sovereign, but for her age, she does do alot. I think it does matter if she goes abroad to a family wedding etc.

I think that by sending Charles and Edward, Andrew or Philip, she is basically sending a message of, "I'm not going - send someone else". Charles can do his own PR, and there's nothing to say he couldn't go as well. When Felipe and Letizia married, Beatrix took Willem-Alexandra and Maxima with her , Carl Gustav and Silvia took all three children. Why can't Elizabeth take Charles and Camilla or Edward and Sophie. It would present a family front. I imagine that the Royals must think, "We'll only get Charles - Lillibet won't come". That cant be good for family relations. Just my opinion.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
I don't mean to be rude but it is really annoying that a foreigner should presume to know that there is nothing in Scotland that requires the monarch's presence. Scotland is a kingdom and the oldest in Europe at that. The Queen (she is not EIIR in Scotland) does open the Scottish parliament and when she did so last year was welcomed as Queen of Scots just as she was in 1953 when she came to Edinburgh for the first time as Queen to recieve the Honours of Scotland. ...
Actually she is Elizabeth II in Scotland, the case MacCormick v Lord Advocate having been lost by the protesters. And to style her as 'Queen of Scots' is still technically incorrect.

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii