The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
It does seem like we see Prince Albert in England often enough...wonder if he has any close friendships with the members of the BRF.

LaRae
Albert and Charlene are close to Edward and Sophie.

Edward and Sophie have many friends among the European royals and hopefully the Cambridge's will be able to develop similar friendships with the Euro royals in the future.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:49 PM
Aristocracy

I don't see the Cambridges striking up close ties with other European royals.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
I don't see the Cambridges striking up close ties with other European royals.
William and Kate have been to Denmark and Belgium together, and Kate has made solo trips to Luxembourg and the Netherlands. I definitely see the Cambridges striking up a relationship with continental royals and the official visit to Sweden and Norway will reinforce that. Mathilde, Máxima, Mary, Victoria and Stéphanie seem very friendly and I'm pretty sure they could become good friends with Kate. William is a more reserved kind of person though and I don't see him forging friendships with other monarchs or crown princes beyond normal protocol.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:39 PM
Aristocracy

Mbruno, I agree with your assessment of William. I also have never seen Kate as being friendly or welcoming.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
William and Kate have been to Denmark and Belgium together, and Kate has made solo trips to Luxembourg and the Netherlands. I definitely see the Cambridges striking up a relationship with continental royals and the official visit to Sweden and Norway will reinforce that. Mathilde, Máxima, Mary, Victoria and Stéphanie seem very friendly and I'm pretty sure they could become good friends with Kate. William is a more reserved kind of person though and I don't see him forging friendships with other monarchs or crown princes beyond normal protocol.
I agree Mbruno that the Cambridges' relationships with their European peers will expand over time. Up until recently, it's been Charles/Camilla and his siblings that have been dispatched as QEII's representatives on these visits. Now that they're considered full time William and Kate are likely to take on more of these types of trips to Europe as HM and the DoE cut back on their travel. Eventually they will likely be Charles' primary representatives overseas when his reign begins and they are the Prince and Princess of Wales. AFAIK the Cambridges have always gotten along with their European counterparts when they've been on official visits.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:57 PM
Majesty

As far as the Windsors-particular the Cambridges-relationships with their European peers I can only hope to see the continuation of these "goodwill" tours to the Continent. I don't see how it serves Britain or the Windsors to distance themselves in this day and age...even if I understand perfectly the reason for wanting to do so at the beginning of the 20th century.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-17-2017, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Yes that's the pics, thanks for posting them TLLK!

LaRae
Here is another photo of Felipe and William chatting from that same event.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/21/3a/fa/2...sh-royalty.jpg

Felipe might remember when a very young William, Harry and their parents visited the Spanish royals at Marivent Palace in 1987.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
As far as the Windsors-particular the Cambridges-relationships with their European peers I can only hope to see the continuation of these "goodwill" tours to the Continent. I don't see how it serves Britain or the Windsors to distance themselves in this day and age...even if I understand perfectly the reason for wanting to do so at the beginning of the 20th century.

We really have no idea what they get up to out of public view...they could be Skyping each other or sending emails. I am sure hoping the visits continue... to include some of the other European royals coming to London.

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post

Felipe might remember when a very young William, Harry and their parents visited the Spanish royals at Marivent Palace in 1987.
I'm sure he probably does remember...after all not ever day you meet a future King, even if you are going to be one too!

LaRae
Old 10-17-2017, 06:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
Mbruno, I agree with your assessment of William. I also have never seen Kate as being friendly or welcoming.
Ok you can't stand them, point taken
But to rehash your feelings in every possible thread, i mean, really ?
Old 10-17-2017, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I've deleted and moved a number of posts. This thread is about the British Royal Family. If you wish to discuss the friendship between other royals, please do so in the Which Royals are Good Friends thread.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post

A young Felipe and very young William--
https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/f...iam-Prince.jpg
Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Great photo find and thank you for sharing it.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
CP Mary did personally (I think via a phone call) congratulate Catherine when Prince George was born.

We also need to remember that Catherine and William may be in regular contact with continental royals - as a general public, we wouldn't know about it. I very much doubt that, as a future Regent couple, Catherine and William have not already started developing close contact and friendships with their current and future Regent peers.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

How do we know that CP Mary made any contact with Kate when George was born?

Unless you were in the room when the phone call occurred or there was an official statement from one or other of the palaces then it is 'reported' and not definite.

There are many, many reports out there about the royals and most of them are complete garbage.

The only thing to believe is official communications and not from the so-called sources who are often figments of reporters imaginations.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:34 AM
Majesty

I think relations between the royal families of Europe and the BRF were very strong during and post WWII. I think a lot of the relationships have their roots in that era and geographical distance has made it less than easy to maintain close relations with the main characters having aged out of the monarchies.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Posts relating to languages have been moved to the following thread: What Languages Do The Royals Speak?

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii