The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I have read in Norwegian newspapers from 1991 that The Queen or the then 90 year old Queen Mother was close to attending the funeral of King Olav V, but they didn't because of the gulf war. That was confirmed by Buckingham Palace.
Prince Charles attended the funeral on behalf of The Queen.

I´m not sure wether this explanation is fabricated because the media do not know the reason themselves. I guess this lies in the nature of human-being: If you don´t know the reason for something, it has to be found something.

The british Queen also didn´t go to the funerals of the former dutch royal couple Juliana and Bernhard, and there was nothing such as a Gulf-war.
Juliana knew "Lilibeth" since her early childhood days, Bernhard fought in the british army during WW2. The relationship after the war between the 2 royal couples had been excellent.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:22 PM
Serene Highness

I think imo that the Queen simply doesn't go to funerals, the only time she has is when the Belgian king B died suddenly at a relatively young age.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:39 AM
Serene Highness

I can't recall the Queen attending any funerals or weddings of any other royal families for many years. Maybe she feels that there would be too much attention given her. If I remember correctly, on her mother's 100 birthday parade, etc., she stayed behind on a few event so that the Queen Mother would not be overshadowed [this of course was stated by media so don't know if that was made up or fact]. But I assume that she does know her media power and does feel that she would detract from occasion. Reason she sends another, if possible. Just a guess of mine
Old 12-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I´m not sure wether this explanation is fabricated because the media do not know the reason themselves. I guess this lies in the nature of human-being: If you don´t know the reason for something, it has to be found something.

The british Queen also didn´t go to the funerals of the former dutch royal couple Juliana and Bernhard, and there was nothing such as a Gulf-war.
Juliana knew "Lilibeth" since her early childhood days, Bernhard fought in the british army during WW2. The relationship after the war between the 2 royal couples had been excellent.
Whether this is the actual explanation or not, Olav did die a few weeks before the Gulf War ended.

Gulf War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-23-2014, 02:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post

The Duke of Edinburgh attended both Juliana's and Bernhard's funerais.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it would be nice if the Queen started sending the younger royals to the continental royal events. That way, they can form a relationship with the other royals.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think it would be nice if the Queen started sending the younger royals to the continental royal events. That way, they can form a relationship with the other royals.
But, why would this be important? It would make no difference to the lives of the British people either way. Royals don't decide foreign policy or international trade policy anymore so the degree of closeness between the British RF and those of Continental Europe really doesn't matter.

With the greatest respect to Haakon or Victoria or Frederik, the public international profiles of William/Kate/Harry are on a different level (for better and worse). There's not much they need to learn about living life in the spotlight having already lived it for all their lives, or in Kate's example for at least a decade. For William and Harry in particular, their lives have been far more public than any a European royal has had to endure (thankfully). When it comes to learning about how to fulfil their royal functions, there are plenty of examples for them within their own families. The challenge of performing that function for 16 different sovereign nations is not one shared by any other RF.

I get that people like to see royals together wearing designer clothes, tiaras and orders. Ultimately, for me, it really doesn't matter. I support my RF in the function that they perform, the degree of their relationship with other RFs is superfluous to that function IMO.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
But, why would this be important? It would make no difference to the lives of the British people either way. Royals don't decide foreign policy or international trade policy anymore so the degree of closeness between the British RF and those of Continental Europe really doesn't matter.

With the greatest respect to Haakon or Victoria or Frederik, the public international profiles of William/Kate/Harry are on a different level (for better and worse). There's not much they need to learn about living life in the spotlight having already lived it for all their lives, or in Kate's example for at least a decade. For William and Harry in particular, their lives have been far more public than any a European royal has had to endure (thankfully). When it comes to learning about how to fulfil their royal functions, there are plenty of examples for them within their own families. The challenge of performing that function for 16 different sovereign nations is not one shared by any other RF.

I get that people like to see royals together wearing designer clothes, tiaras and orders. Ultimately, for me, it really doesn't matter. I support my RF in the function that they perform, the degree of their relationship with other RFs is superfluous to that function IMO.
It just would be nice for the younger British royals to at least become familiar with the other European royals. Edward & Sophie know them well but it's William & Catherine that will be the future King & Queen. They should be included in the royal events.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-23-2014, 04:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think imo that the Queen simply doesn't go to funerals, the only time she has is when the Belgian king B died suddenly at a relatively young age.
The only reason was that the Belgian King did in the middle of Queen Elizabeth's traditional two-month (!) vacation at Balmoral Castle. The Court Circular was practically empty. All other royal heads of state travelled to Brussels to attend the funeral. Queen Elizabeth had no any excuse not to attend the funeral, seeing her totally empty agenda. So she culd at least scrape some politesse together and interrupt her long Scottish holiday for a couple of hours.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
It just would be nice for the younger British royals to at least become familiar with the other European royals. Edward & Sophie know them well but it's William & Catherine that will be the future King & Queen. They should be included in the royal events.
I think we'll see more of that when William is heir to the throne. Like Charles and Camilla do now, they will go as representatives of the King when it is needed.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think we'll see more of that when William is heir to the throne. Like Charles and Camilla do now, they will go as representatives of the King when it is needed.
Charles & Camilla really don't do of foreign royal events. They attended the Dutch Inauguration but that's about it. I'm just saying, instead of always sending Edward & Sophie, the second in-line and his wife could be sent.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Charles & Camilla really don't do of foreign royal events. They attended the Dutch Inauguration but that's about it. I'm just saying, instead of always sending Edward & Sophie, the second in-line and his wife could be sent.
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have actually visited all European monarchies except Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and Monaco...

Charles and Camilla in Copenhagen

Charles and Camilla in Oslo

Charles and Camilla in Stockholm

Charles and Camilla in Madrid

Charles and Camilla in the Vatican

Charles and Camilla in Amsterdam

Old 12-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have actually visited all European monarchies except Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and Monaco...

Charles and Camilla in Copenhagen

Charles and Camilla in Oslo

Charles and Camilla in Stockholm

Charles and Camilla in Madrid

Charles and Camilla in the Vatican

Charles and Camilla in Amsterdam

They have visited but they haven't attended any of the royal events other than the Dutch Inauguration.

Maybe I'm alone in wondering why The Queen don't send her own heir and his wife to the foreign royal events. If not them, she could send the second in-line to the throne and his wife.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Not exactly. The Prince of Wales has represented the British Crown at many foreign royal events. He just seems to attend only the more high profile ones. When they became next in line to the throne, I’m sure The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will have their fair share of foreign royal events. There’s no need to rush with things.

According to Royal Musings, The Prince of Wales has represented the British Royal Family at the following events:

• The wedding of King Constantine II of the Hellenes with Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark (with his father) (1964).
• Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands’ Installation (1980).
• Prince Franz Josef II of Liechtenstein’s funeral (1989).
• King Olav V of Norway’s funeral (1991).
• The Count of Barcelona’s funeral (1993).
• The wedding of The Duchess of Lugo with Don Jaime de Marichalar (1995).
• Queen Ingrid of Denmark’s funeral (2000).
• The Countess of Barcelona’s funeral (2000).
• The wedding of The Crown Prince of Norway with Mette-Marit Hoiby (2001).
• The wedding of The Prince of Orange with Máxima Zorreguieta (2002).
• Prince Claus of the Netherlands’ funeral (2002).
• The wedding of The Prince of Asturias with Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano (2004).
• Pope Saint John Paul II's funeral (2005).
• King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands’ Installation (with The Duchess of Cornwall) (2013).
Old 12-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, but he's only been to one event since he got married again.

I'm just saying the the younger royals could go to these foreign events other than just Edward & Sophie or the Gloucester's and Kent's. It's not about rushing anything but it's about at least sending royals that's actually closer to the throne.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-23-2014, 05:43 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Yes, but he's only been to one event since he got married again.

I'm just saying the the younger royals could go to these foreign events other than just Edward & Sophie or the Gloucester's and Kent's. It's not about rushing anything but it's about at least sending royals that's actually closer to the throne.
Looking at Charles, he's not exactly sitting back painting the sunset most days and is available to fit these occasions into his schedule. This is a man that takes walks to relax. Most things on his schedule are planned months in advance and outside of that, he's got a lot of other things on his plate such as board meetings and whatnot. William is starting to step up more and more for the Queen along with his own charities and patronages on top of preparing to work for air ambulance along with having a toddler and expecting a new arrival in April. These are very busy men.

It has worked for the British royal family that Edward and Sophie and the cousins of the Queen take on these roles as representatives of the Queen at royal functions such as weddings. I think the closeness to the throne really would only matter in the case of state events such as the Pope's funeral. Weddings and funerals are more of a familial representation rather than state.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-23-2014, 06:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Charles went to Prince Claus' funeral and, in the jubilee year, he visited Sweden, Denmark and Norway representing the Queen.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2rhyme View Post
Whether this is the actual explanation or not, Olav did die a few weeks before the Gulf War ended.

Gulf War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No reason to remind me! I didn´t doubt that King Olav died shortly before this war - I can remember myself quite vividly.
What I doubt is that the Queen didn´t go his funeral BECAUSE of the Gulf war.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The only reason was that the Belgian King did in the middle of Queen Elizabeth's traditional two-month (!) vacation at Balmoral Castle. The Court Circular was practically empty. All other royal heads of state travelled to Brussels to attend the funeral. Queen Elizabeth had no any excuse not to attend the funeral, seeing her totally empty agenda. So she culd at least scrape some politesse together and interrupt her long Scottish holiday for a couple of hours.

How often do you want to repeat that pure speculation that the Queen had no "excuse" not to attend?!
She DOES NOT NEED an excuse not to attend anything she doesn´t want to! Do you really think she would care about people being upset about her being somewhere or not? The Queen will never know these things because she reads newspapers, watches television and that´s that. She´s not dwelling in some funny royal watchers social media to learn what people think of her. Just wake up!
Old 12-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I'm just saying the the younger royals could go to these foreign events other than just Edward & Sophie or the Gloucester's and Kent's.
I agree; it's almost as if the Queen says, oh, just send Edward and Sophie again, everyone else has more important things to do!

At least that's the impression I get. At least send Harry occasionally, or the Cambridges. It will look better!

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii