The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #821  
Old 12-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I have read in Norwegian newspapers from 1991 that The Queen or the then 90 year old Queen Mother was close to attending the funeral of King Olav V, but they didn't because of the gulf war. That was confirmed by Buckingham Palace.
Prince Charles attended the funeral on behalf of The Queen.


I´m not sure wether this explanation is fabricated because the media do not know the reason themselves. I guess this lies in the nature of human-being: If you don´t know the reason for something, it has to be found something.

The british Queen also didn´t go to the funerals of the former dutch royal couple Juliana and Bernhard, and there was nothing such as a Gulf-war.
Juliana knew "Lilibeth" since her early childhood days, Bernhard fought in the british army during WW2. The relationship after the war between the 2 royal couples had been excellent.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #822  
Old 12-22-2014, 06:22 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,252
I think imo that the Queen simply doesn't go to funerals, the only time she has is when the Belgian king B died suddenly at a relatively young age.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #823  
Old 12-23-2014, 12:39 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: many places, United States
Posts: 1,321
I can't recall the Queen attending any funerals or weddings of any other royal families for many years. Maybe she feels that there would be too much attention given her. If I remember correctly, on her mother's 100 birthday parade, etc., she stayed behind on a few event so that the Queen Mother would not be overshadowed [this of course was stated by media so don't know if that was made up or fact]. But I assume that she does know her media power and does feel that she would detract from occasion. Reason she sends another, if possible. Just a guess of mine
__________________
Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet shed on the heel that crushed it - Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #824  
Old 12-23-2014, 02:16 PM
free2rhyme's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I´m not sure wether this explanation is fabricated because the media do not know the reason themselves. I guess this lies in the nature of human-being: If you don´t know the reason for something, it has to be found something.

The british Queen also didn´t go to the funerals of the former dutch royal couple Juliana and Bernhard, and there was nothing such as a Gulf-war.
Juliana knew "Lilibeth" since her early childhood days, Bernhard fought in the british army during WW2. The relationship after the war between the 2 royal couples had been excellent.
Whether this is the actual explanation or not, Olav did die a few weeks before the Gulf War ended.

Gulf War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
"Never place a period where God has placed a comma." ~Gracie Allen~ Actress, Comedienne, Singer, and Dancer (1895-1964).
Reply With Quote
  #825  
Old 12-23-2014, 02:34 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I´m not sure wether this explanation is fabricated because the media do not know the reason themselves. I guess this lies in the nature of human-being: If you don´t know the reason for something, it has to be found something.

The british Queen also didn´t go to the funerals of the former dutch royal couple Juliana and Bernhard, and there was nothing such as a Gulf-war.
Juliana knew "Lilibeth" since her early childhood days, Bernhard fought in the british army during WW2. The relationship after the war between the 2 royal couples had been excellent.
The Duke of Edinburgh attended both Juliana's and Bernhard's funerais.
Reply With Quote
  #826  
Old 12-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,485
I think it would be nice if the Queen started sending the younger royals to the continental royal events. That way, they can form a relationship with the other royals.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #827  
Old 12-23-2014, 03:44 PM
PetticoatLane's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: A Small Town, United Kingdom
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think it would be nice if the Queen started sending the younger royals to the continental royal events. That way, they can form a relationship with the other royals.
But, why would this be important? It would make no difference to the lives of the British people either way. Royals don't decide foreign policy or international trade policy anymore so the degree of closeness between the British RF and those of Continental Europe really doesn't matter.

With the greatest respect to Haakon or Victoria or Frederik, the public international profiles of William/Kate/Harry are on a different level (for better and worse). There's not much they need to learn about living life in the spotlight having already lived it for all their lives, or in Kate's example for at least a decade. For William and Harry in particular, their lives have been far more public than any a European royal has had to endure (thankfully). When it comes to learning about how to fulfil their royal functions, there are plenty of examples for them within their own families. The challenge of performing that function for 16 different sovereign nations is not one shared by any other RF.

I get that people like to see royals together wearing designer clothes, tiaras and orders. Ultimately, for me, it really doesn't matter. I support my RF in the function that they perform, the degree of their relationship with other RFs is superfluous to that function IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #828  
Old 12-23-2014, 03:59 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
But, why would this be important? It would make no difference to the lives of the British people either way. Royals don't decide foreign policy or international trade policy anymore so the degree of closeness between the British RF and those of Continental Europe really doesn't matter.

With the greatest respect to Haakon or Victoria or Frederik, the public international profiles of William/Kate/Harry are on a different level (for better and worse). There's not much they need to learn about living life in the spotlight having already lived it for all their lives, or in Kate's example for at least a decade. For William and Harry in particular, their lives have been far more public than any a European royal has had to endure (thankfully). When it comes to learning about how to fulfil their royal functions, there are plenty of examples for them within their own families. The challenge of performing that function for 16 different sovereign nations is not one shared by any other RF.

I get that people like to see royals together wearing designer clothes, tiaras and orders. Ultimately, for me, it really doesn't matter. I support my RF in the function that they perform, the degree of their relationship with other RFs is superfluous to that function IMO.
It just would be nice for the younger British royals to at least become familiar with the other European royals. Edward & Sophie know them well but it's William & Catherine that will be the future King & Queen. They should be included in the royal events.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #829  
Old 12-23-2014, 04:04 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think imo that the Queen simply doesn't go to funerals, the only time she has is when the Belgian king B died suddenly at a relatively young age.
The only reason was that the Belgian King did in the middle of Queen Elizabeth's traditional two-month (!) vacation at Balmoral Castle. The Court Circular was practically empty. All other royal heads of state travelled to Brussels to attend the funeral. Queen Elizabeth had no any excuse not to attend the funeral, seeing her totally empty agenda. So she culd at least scrape some politesse together and interrupt her long Scottish holiday for a couple of hours.

Reply With Quote
  #830  
Old 12-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It just would be nice for the younger British royals to at least become familiar with the other European royals. Edward & Sophie know them well but it's William & Catherine that will be the future King & Queen. They should be included in the royal events.
I think we'll see more of that when William is heir to the throne. Like Charles and Camilla do now, they will go as representatives of the King when it is needed.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #831  
Old 12-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think we'll see more of that when William is heir to the throne. Like Charles and Camilla do now, they will go as representatives of the King when it is needed.
Charles & Camilla really don't do of foreign royal events. They attended the Dutch Inauguration but that's about it. I'm just saying, instead of always sending Edward & Sophie, the second in-line and his wife could be sent.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #832  
Old 12-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Charles & Camilla really don't do of foreign royal events. They attended the Dutch Inauguration but that's about it. I'm just saying, instead of always sending Edward & Sophie, the second in-line and his wife could be sent.
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have actually visited all European monarchies except Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and Monaco...

Charles and Camilla in Copenhagen

Charles and Camilla in Oslo

Charles and Camilla in Stockholm

Charles and Camilla in Madrid

Charles and Camilla in the Vatican

Charles and Camilla in Amsterdam

Reply With Quote
  #833  
Old 12-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have actually visited all European monarchies except Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and Monaco...

Charles and Camilla in Copenhagen

Charles and Camilla in Oslo

Charles and Camilla in Stockholm

Charles and Camilla in Madrid

Charles and Camilla in the Vatican

Charles and Camilla in Amsterdam

They have visited but they haven't attended any of the royal events other than the Dutch Inauguration.

Maybe I'm alone in wondering why The Queen don't send her own heir and his wife to the foreign royal events. If not them, she could send the second in-line to the throne and his wife.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #834  
Old 12-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Cris M's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Niterói, Brazil
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Charles & Camilla really don't do of foreign royal events. They attended the Dutch Inauguration but that's about it. I'm just saying, instead of always sending Edward & Sophie, the second in-line and his wife could be sent.
Not exactly. The Prince of Wales has represented the British Crown at many foreign royal events. He just seems to attend only the more high profile ones. When they became next in line to the throne, I’m sure The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will have their fair share of foreign royal events. There’s no need to rush with things.

According to Royal Musings, The Prince of Wales has represented the British Royal Family at the following events:

• The wedding of King Constantine II of the Hellenes with Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark (with his father) (1964).
• Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands’ Installation (1980).
• Prince Franz Josef II of Liechtenstein’s funeral (1989).
• King Olav V of Norway’s funeral (1991).
• The Count of Barcelona’s funeral (1993).
• The wedding of The Duchess of Lugo with Don Jaime de Marichalar (1995).
• Queen Ingrid of Denmark’s funeral (2000).
• The Countess of Barcelona’s funeral (2000).
• The wedding of The Crown Prince of Norway with Mette-Marit Hoiby (2001).
• The wedding of The Prince of Orange with Máxima Zorreguieta (2002).
• Prince Claus of the Netherlands’ funeral (2002).
• The wedding of The Prince of Asturias with Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano (2004).
• Pope Saint John Paul II's funeral (2005).
• King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands’ Installation (with The Duchess of Cornwall) (2013).
Reply With Quote
  #835  
Old 12-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,485
Yes, but he's only been to one event since he got married again.

I'm just saying the the younger royals could go to these foreign events other than just Edward & Sophie or the Gloucester's and Kent's. It's not about rushing anything but it's about at least sending royals that's actually closer to the throne.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #836  
Old 12-23-2014, 05:43 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Yes, but he's only been to one event since he got married again.

I'm just saying the the younger royals could go to these foreign events other than just Edward & Sophie or the Gloucester's and Kent's. It's not about rushing anything but it's about at least sending royals that's actually closer to the throne.
Looking at Charles, he's not exactly sitting back painting the sunset most days and is available to fit these occasions into his schedule. This is a man that takes walks to relax. Most things on his schedule are planned months in advance and outside of that, he's got a lot of other things on his plate such as board meetings and whatnot. William is starting to step up more and more for the Queen along with his own charities and patronages on top of preparing to work for air ambulance along with having a toddler and expecting a new arrival in April. These are very busy men.

It has worked for the British royal family that Edward and Sophie and the cousins of the Queen take on these roles as representatives of the Queen at royal functions such as weddings. I think the closeness to the throne really would only matter in the case of state events such as the Pope's funeral. Weddings and funerals are more of a familial representation rather than state.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #837  
Old 12-23-2014, 06:42 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Charles & Camilla really don't do of foreign royal events. They attended the Dutch Inauguration but that's about it. I'm just saying, instead of always sending Edward & Sophie, the second in-line and his wife could be sent.
Charles went to Prince Claus' funeral and, in the jubilee year, he visited Sweden, Denmark and Norway representing the Queen.
Reply With Quote
  #838  
Old 12-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by free2rhyme View Post
Whether this is the actual explanation or not, Olav did die a few weeks before the Gulf War ended.

Gulf War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


No reason to remind me! I didn´t doubt that King Olav died shortly before this war - I can remember myself quite vividly.
What I doubt is that the Queen didn´t go his funeral BECAUSE of the Gulf war.
Reply With Quote
  #839  
Old 12-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The only reason was that the Belgian King did in the middle of Queen Elizabeth's traditional two-month (!) vacation at Balmoral Castle. The Court Circular was practically empty. All other royal heads of state travelled to Brussels to attend the funeral. Queen Elizabeth had no any excuse not to attend the funeral, seeing her totally empty agenda. So she culd at least scrape some politesse together and interrupt her long Scottish holiday for a couple of hours.


How often do you want to repeat that pure speculation that the Queen had no "excuse" not to attend?!
She DOES NOT NEED an excuse not to attend anything she doesn´t want to! Do you really think she would care about people being upset about her being somewhere or not? The Queen will never know these things because she reads newspapers, watches television and that´s that. She´s not dwelling in some funny royal watchers social media to learn what people think of her. Just wake up!
Reply With Quote
  #840  
Old 12-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

I'm just saying the the younger royals could go to these foreign events other than just Edward & Sophie or the Gloucester's and Kent's.
I agree; it's almost as if the Queen says, oh, just send Edward and Sophie again, everyone else has more important things to do!

At least that's the impression I get. At least send Harry occasionally, or the Cambridges. It will look better!
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 belgian state visit to japan best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style christening of prince alexander coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events december duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll fashion suggestions grand duke jean greece jubilee kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament oscars picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises