The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I think even the Grand Duke of Luxemburg, who´s a "Royal Highness", takes precendence before the Prince of Monaco. The Princess of Monaco, although wife of a royal head of state, has to curtsey to these Majesties.[I]
Don't think the Princess of Monaco has to curtsey to Majesties, as she is the wife of a Sovereign. The same would apply to Grand Duchesses of Luxembourg (HRH) and they have never curtseyed to Majesties.

And yes: a Grand Duke takes precedence over Sovereign Princes. :)

Old 12-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Courtier

The Windsors and Europe

Quote:
originally posted by Iain
[The Princess of Monaco, although wife of a royal head of state, has to curtsey to these Majesties.[I]
[/QUOTE]

Princess Charlene doesn't have to curtsey to any other royals just because she's the wife of a "mere" prince. She's the consort of a head of state and as such she's equal to all other consorts of head of states in the world. That she curtsies to just about anyone is another matter and she must either be misinformed or does it by choice.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 12-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
originally posted by Iain Nobility

Prince Rainier as a "Serene Highness" would never take precedence over a monarch, a "Majesty", which is the most highranking title we know of on the entire planet!
Wouldn't an "Imperial Majesty" outrank a "Majesty" ?

Anyway, there are no "Imperial Majesties" left in today's world other than the Emperor of Japan !
Old 12-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

Anyway, there are no "Imperial Majesties" left in today's world other than the Emperor of Japan !

Yes, they do. But both are "Majesties"!
That´s why the Empress of Japan sat on the far left side at Fabiola´s funeral, next to Margrethe II, the longest (royal) reigning monarch present.
But of course, a royal Majesty would never (and should not) courtsey an imperial one...!
At CPss Victoria´s wedding the CP of Japan was first adressed after the Majesties present at the speeches held during the banquet:
"Your Majesties, Your Imperial Highness, Your Royal Hignesses...."
Old 12-18-2014, 08:53 AM
Courtier

The Windsors and Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

In one of the "The year with the Royal family" programs made by SVT King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia got the question if any royals was to be considered more prominent than others upon which one of them answered (can't remember which one) that it's all down to the longevity of the reign of the monarch and nothing else.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post

"Princess Charlene doesn't have to curtsey to any other royals just because she's the wife of a "mere" prince. She's the consort of a head of state and as such she's equal to all other consorts of head of states in the world. That she curtsies to just about anyone is another matter and she must either be misinformed or does it by choice."

Well, perhaps she is. But her mother-in-law seemed to have been "misinformed", too. There are photos of both ladies curtseying other monarchs (Grace: Queen Ena of Spain; Charlene: Imper. Couple of Japan)
Princess Grace curtseys the royal couple of Persia:
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...8fe2695143.jpg

Charlene: Elizabeth II: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...87_306x395.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
In one of the "The year with the Royal family" programs made by SVT King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia got the question if any royals was to be considered more prominent than others upon which one of them answered (can't remember which one) that it's all down to the longevity of the reign of the monarch and nothing else.

Yes, among the Kings and Queens. But worldwide there is an Emperor.
If Empress Michiko was like all the other sovereigns present at Qu. Fabiola´s funeral, she (who even isn´t a reigning empress, but the wife of the emperor) would have sat in the 2nd row after King Harald and his sister!
I remember King Baudouin´s funeral: Although the imperial couple was only 4 years on the throne, they took precedence in the 1st row during the procession. An exception was made in the cathedral for the funeral service: There Elizabeth II occupied the chair the empress sat on last week, with the imperial couple sitting right next to her and Pr. Philip, followed again by the danish royal couple, the swedish one and so forth.
I guess this exception has been made because the british Queen occupied her throne in 1993 for about 40 years while the emperor was enthroned, as I mentioned earlier, just 4 years previous.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:15 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Yes, they do. But both are "Majesties"!
That´s why the Empress of Japan sat on the far left side at Fabiola´s funeral, next to Margrethe II, the longest (royal) reigning monarch present.
Actually, Queen Margrethe should have been seated on the most prominent seat. She was the highest ranking guest. Strictly speaking, all reigning Kings and Queens attending should have taken precedence over the Empress, as she is 'only' an Empress Consort.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Re: Grace and Charlene....maybe because they are not royal by blood they felt they should or maybe they just did it to show respect.

LaRae
Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent

^^^I'm with you, curtseying done from politeness. Charming...
Old 12-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Re: Grace and Charlene....maybe because they are not royal by blood they felt they should or maybe they just did it to show respect.

LaRae
Crown Princess Mette-Marit curtseys to 'everyone': she curtseyed to President Obama and the Duchess of Cornwall. I guess she does that out of respect.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
originally posted by Iain Nobility

Prince Rainier as a "Serene Highness" would never take precedence over a monarch, a "Majesty", which is the most highranking title we know of on the entire planet! So, when it comes to seating orders, the longest reigning King/ Queen will be placed at the most prominent seat, then the next longest reigning monarch and so on. I think even the Grand Duke of Luxemburg, who´s a "Royal Highness", takes precendence before the Prince of Monaco. The Princess of Monaco, although wife of a royal head of state, has to curtsey to these Majesties.

Prince Rainier was a monarch just like any king or queen.

"When Elizabeth had her Diamond Jubilee and she held a dinner for foreign monarchs there were protestations of horror that none of those monarchs bowed or curtsied to Elizabeth because, after all, "she is superior to them."

That´s not possible - Elizabeth II knows and respects very well protocol. And protocol, or "royal etiquette" forbids a Majesty to curtsey another majesty, which the Queen of Britain is. So, if, let´s say the Queen of Sweden would suddenly start to curtsey the british Queen, she´d be mystified, to say the least!
It´s another case when it come to Kings. They do actually bow (their head), but not because of the other person´s superority, but rather because of chivalry and act of courtesy
I didn't say Elizabeth expected the other monarchs to bow or curtsy to her. It was many members of the British public who expected it because they felt that their queen was superior to other monarchs.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrjann View Post
Crown Princess Mette-Marit curtseys to 'everyone': she curtseyed to President Obama and the Duchess of Cornwall. I guess she does that out of respect.
That's just plain stupidity. Obama is not royal and Camilla is the same rank as Mette-Marit.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
That's just plain stupidity. Obama is not royal and Camilla is the same rank as Mette-Marit.
Curtsying all around could be called stupid. If Mette Marit wants to do it out of respect then I see no problem with it.
I feel the BRF are too full of themselves and this snub proves it, they are no better than the continental royals and need to stop acting like they are.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Why no one attended the funeral we will probably never know. My British friends have all said 'Fabiola - who was she?' That had no idea of who she was and so to them there is no issue as the foreign royals don't register in Britain or on the world stage as such - none of my friends and colleagues here knew that Belgium had a monarchy or that a Queen Consort had died - no coverage and no interest.
All my friends and family are made to know about royal families all over the world, seeing as I talk about them so much! More often than not someone asks me what's going on in the world of royalty, when is that royal wedding you were talking about etc etc Long before Queen Fabiola died but following the Abdication of King Albert, I told everyone that Belgium now had three living queens in existence - peoples' reactions are generally positive if I tell them interesting things.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:49 PM
Nobility

[QUOTEXeniaCasaraghi;1732625=I feel the BRF are too full of themselves and this snub proves it, they are no better than the continental royals and need to stop acting like they are.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:16 PM
Heir Apparent

It is a snub and if it is a real case of miscommunication between the FO and the Windsors as was reported by another forum member then that is bad.

Another chance to see if the BRF snub the Europeans will be for CP and Sofia's wedding in June next year. Sophie and Edward have been to Victoria and Madeleine's so it would make sense to send them, as it's likely going to be the last royal wedding for some time now as most others are married.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sorry bUT why is it always Edward and Sophie, I have nothing g against them but shouldn't William and Kate start showing up to these weddings?
Old 12-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I'm sorry bUT why is it always Edward and Sophie, I have nothing g against them but shouldn't William and Kate start showing up to these weddings?
I would be surprised. In general, the BRF do not like to be seen fraternising publicly with other European royals. The senior / main line Windsors will only attend "major" events, like the inauguration of Willem-Alexander in the Netherlands, or meet other royals privately. The Wessex' have been allocated the responsibility for attending these European royal functions, so they will carry on doing so, unless told otherwise.

Further, W&K will have a young infant at the time of the Swedish wedding next year.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Neither Edward nor William will be available for Carl Philip's wedding though.

The wedding is set for the 13th June I believe - the same day as Trooping the Colour.

As both Edward and William are colonels of Household Division Regiments they will be expected at the Trooping.

It seems as if the Swedes chose a date on which they knew that the British Royal Family had their own event scheduled.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well I still say they shouldn't even invite them, a little upset that Victoria and Daniel made the effort to go to William's wedding.

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii