The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Serene Highness

I agree that it is sad if this becomes the main thread from the funeral day and not the thread about the funeral itself BUT it's not an unimportant question. It is deeply irritating that all other monarchies can reschedile their agenda and send members from the family but not the british one because they are unable (or maybe unwilling) to reschedule their military inspections and ribbon cuttings, and everyone is expected to be indulgent with that ! That's the main point.

And don't come and tell me that i don't like the british R F now. I also criticize my own King (Carl XVI Gustaf) and his family from time to time. I like many of the members of the british royal family, especially The Queen, Philip and their 4 children but this was a very bad decision from them or the government or whoever it was who decided that they shouldn't go to Belgium in person.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

This comes off as very rude, I secretly hope they just weren't invited. I think it might be time for other royals to stop attending British events.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Aristocracy

I realize people on here love all royalty but, from the standpoint of a casual observer (me), this is just funny. You all have turned a mole hill into a huge mountain.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Nobility

In order to give some possible clarification to the lack of BRF presence at the funeral you will have to go back into the earlier years of king Baudoin's rule.He took offence in regards to the British government's comments about his father (while his father was still alive) and had very frosty relations with them for a number of years following the incident.Eventually things regained a calmer perspective but I don't believe they were ever quite the same.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
This comes off as very rude, I secretly hope they just weren't invited. I think it might be time for other royals to stop attending British events.
And that would be so grown up, wouldn't it? And, you know what, not one person on earth would even notice if no other "royal" showed up at a British wedding or other occasion. You know why? Because, except for blogs like this, nobody knows any other royals so nobody would care.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

I see this as a storm in a teacup. As a royal watcher for some years I was not surprised at all. George V made a conscious decision to separate his family from other European royals and that has stuck. They don't do things together. Their interrelatedness is quite distant. Sure Philip was born a Prince of Greece and Denmark but he doesn't make a big thing of that and hardly has much to do with the Danes at all - sees more of the Greeks of course because they live in London.

Since WWI there have only been two marriages of royals into Europe - the late Duke of Kent and The Queen. George VI however really wanted Elizabeth to marry a British aristocrat and not a foreign prince - he was won over to Philip as a man and not because of his title and status as a foreigner. The British public weren't that keen on him and he always had to keep his family low-key so as not to upset the Brits if he was visiting his German relations.

I don't think most Britain's cared about this event - how much coverage did it actually get in Britain? How many Brits even know that Belgium has a royal family?

I was there recently with some fellow teachers from Australia - educated people who teach History and I was the only one who knew that Belgium was still a monarchy - they all thought that Belgium had become a republic at the end of WWI when so many other monarchies were falling (mind you they knew Denmark still had a monarchy but were surprised when I said that Norway, Sweden, The Netherlands and Spain were also still monarchies).

On a world stage - the BRF rates - the others don't. They know that. They will turn up to British events because it actually gets them coverage elsewhere in the world whereas they own events simply don't get the coverage.

When the Queen or Philip passes there will be TV coverage all over the world - as there was for William' wedding and The Queen's Jubilee. How much coverage did this funeral get? I have seen no mention of it on the news bulletins I have watched here since it happened - nothing. If I hadn't read about her death on this board I would have never heard of it and I am sure that there are millions of other people who are the same - never heard of her or her death whereas when Philip dies or The Queen dies the situation will be very different as they are two of the best known figures in the world today.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslewis View Post
And that would be so grown up, wouldn't it? And, you know what, not one person on earth would even notice if no other "royal" showed up at a British wedding or other occasion. You know why? Because, except for blogs like this, nobody knows any other royals so nobody would care.
My post, which follows yours, was trying to make the same point - but you said it so much more succinctly than I did.

The BRF rates on the world stage while the others don't - simple.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Disgrace on the British family for not sending a Royal representative - they have let themselves down on the world stage.

Previous posters have mentioned that Charles quickly dropped engagement (Kate stood in) for the funeral of a Middle-eastern prince, less known than that of the profile of the late Queen of the Belgians. It should have been Charles who should have cancelled his Friday engagements and stepped up in his role at Prince of Wales and attend as the representative of the Queen. Its been mentioned that Baudoin and Fabiola were close with the Queen and DoE - the Queen went to his funeral which is un heard of. What happened now this time round for his widows funeral - they send an ambassor. Poor show.

The Belgian royal family will have the manners and respect to send a high profile representative to the Duke of Ed's funeral and the Queen. Pity that respect from the British royals for a former monarch couldnt have been granted for Fabiola

Old 12-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Nobility

Were this about any other RF than the British, a thread like this would never happen in a million years. This is only an issue because it is the British royals.

If the other royal families want to boycott British events then they are quite welcome to. I'd bet my house, however, that they won't pass up the opportunity to attend. Only the Queen can get almost all the world's crowned heads in one room as she did for her Diamond Jubilee. No other monarch could come close. That's the simple reality.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:29 PM
Aristocracy

Late to the discussion, but it does seem to me that the BRF ought to be by now, after some hundreds of years dealing with this sort of thing, be used to shuffling schedules and such to include attendance at funerals. Weddings are planned months in advance. Easy peasy. I know also that all other engagements are also planned far in advance and people are expecting them to show up as agreed, but showing respect to a neighboring country's loss of a beloved former Queen, who was well known to at least the Queen and DoE, should have trumped other engagements that are easily rescheduled. If they can reschedule when one of them becomes ill, then rescheduling to allow them to attend a funeral should be as easy.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Were this about any other RF than the British, a thread like this would never happen in a million years. This is only an issue because it is the British royals.

If the other royal families want to boycott British events then they are quite welcome to. I'd bet my house, however, that they won't pass up the opportunity to attend. Only the Queen can get almost all the world's crowned heads in one room as she did for her Diamond Jubilee. No other monarch could come close. That's the simple reality.
The uncomfortable fact is that we would not need a thread like this for any other Royal family in Europe. For all their low level, low interest, lack of star power I can't think of any Continental House that is so boorish, impolite or ill advised to ever allow a faux pas like this to ever happen in relation to their fellow royals.

That's the simple reality for me.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Courtier

@Moonmaiden23 - Thank you for the above post and the previous one. Well done!
Old 12-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
. We don't really see ourselves as having more in common with Belgians or Austrians than we do with Canadians, Australians or even Americans.
It is ironic to hear you say that in the year when Britain is celebrating the 100th anniversary of the beginning of World War I, a war which Britain joined, at least officially, precisely because of the invasion of Belgium by the Germans.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Previous posters have mentioned that Charles quickly dropped engagement (Kate stood in) for the funeral of a Middle-eastern prince, less known than that of the profile of the late Queen of the Belgians. It should have been Charles who should have cancelled his Friday engagements and stepped up in his role at Prince of Wales and attend as the representative of the Queen.

Not comparable events.

One was basically a reception in CH that could have been undertaken by almost any royal - and so Kate could step in.

Friday's events for Charles could only have been undertaken by Charles because they related to his position as Honorary Colonel of a regiment and would have disappointed literally 1000s of people - those who were to march through the town, the people who came to see the event and those who had worked so hard to rebuild the hall.

Other royals may have been available but as she was a Queen then only the Queen, spouse or heir should have attended anyway and for various reasons they couldn't do so.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It is ironic to hear you say that in the year when Britain is celebrating the 100th anniversary of the beginning of World War I, a war which Britain joined, at least officially, precisely because of the invasion of Belgium by the Germans.
May have the 'official reason' but the reality was the British just needed an excuse as they were rearing to go and if it hadn't been Belgium it would have been something else.

The biggest thing to remember with relevance to this discussion is that George V then became determined to separate the BRF from Europe so that the internal family issues never arose again and that has been their view ever since. The rest of the European royal families have continued to interact as if the wars never happened but the BRF withdrew from those connections deliberately and as the decades go by will continue that separation.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Other royals may have been available but as she was a Queen then only the Queen, spouse or heir should have attended anyway and for various reasons they couldn't do so.
I disagree. Queen Elizabeth II has been represented in the past by less senior royals in in other funerals. If I am not mistaken , the Duke of York fpr example attended the funeral of Queen Ingrid of Denmark, who was a dowager queen like Fabiola. It would have been perfectlly acceptable to send Andrew, Edward, or even one of the Queen's cousins in lieu of Charles if he were not available.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I disagree. Queen Elizabeth II has been represented in the past by less senior royals in in other funerals. If I am not mistaken , the Duke of York fpr example attended the funeral of Queen Ingrid of Denmark, who was a dowager queen like Fabiola.
The Prince of Wales attended Queen Ingrid's funeral. The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra were also there.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
May have the 'official reason' but the reality was the British just needed an excuse as they were rearing to go and if it hadn't been Belgium it would have been something else.

The biggest thing to remember with relevance to this discussion is that George V then became determined to separate the BRF from Europe so that the internal family issues never arose again and that has been their view ever since. The rest of the European royal families have continued to interact as if the wars never happened but the BRF withdrew from those connections deliberately and as the decades go by will continue that separation.

That view may have made some sense in 1914, when there were still semi-absolute monarchies in places like Germany or Russia. Of course, that is no longer the case now when most European countries are republics and, in those few that are still monarchies, foreign policy is directed by elected politicians and not by royal houses. Furthermore, most of Europe is already united under the European Union anyway.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:55 PM
Serene Highness

There was this one Daily Mail comment which said something like in a time where Royalty gets more irrelevant, that it is ironic that one group of royals can still look down on one other
Imo it doesn't matter if they weren't there. While I watched it I thought of Fabiola and not of these "very busy" people.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 12-13-2014, 11:09 PM
Courtier

I have still some four pages of this thread to read, but wanted to express my surprise and disappointment that nobody from the BRF could attend this funeral, especially when representatives of so many others were able to - it was a memorable and historic gathering to acknowledge the life of a most gracious and Christian queen.

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii