The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-13-2014, 07:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

And to those of you who call the British royal family, arrogant, a busload of freeloaders, and other stupid things, don't know what you're talking about.

The British royal family has been represented by either the Duke of Edinburgh, Charles or Andrew in all the major royal funerals in the past 30 years, what is arrogant with this?

Old 12-13-2014, 07:33 AM
Serene Highness

It seems to be an accepted fact amongst most of us interested in this subject that a major blunder has happened here. Whether the Queen herself or others are to blame it looks very bad that no one from the BRF came and I am actually quite shocked that this happened. This was a Queen Consort. No offense to Madeleine of Sweden, who I am just using as an example, but to send representation to her wedding and not to this funeral is a baffling decision. I don't think it's up for debate that the British don't care about establishing ties withe the European royals as it's obvious. Even when Edward and Sophie go to things they are usually among the most junior ranking sitting among Monarchs and Crown Princes as the senior family members rarely bother themselves to attend. I'm sure that Buckingham Palace will now realise how insulting this has been to the Belgians but it's too late now, I can only assume that lessons have been learnt and nothing similar will be allowed to happen again.

BTW, if one more person mentions how close or not certain Royal families are I will scream. When a national figure in any country dies, gets married etc attendance by representatives of other countries isn't based on how chummy people are with each other. As an example, if that was the case there would have been no foreign royals at Prince Williams wedding at all.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:57 AM
Serene Highness

Iīm starting to become tired....
There is nothing but speculation around here. Nobody knows anything for sure. One speculation is refuted by the next one!
What if they simply didnīt feel the need, the obligation, whatever, to go?
What the heck could we do about it?! Demonstrate in front of Buckingham Palace?
Things are what they are and Iīm sure at the next major royal event in Britain, all those closer and distant cousins from the continent and "colleagues" from Asia will be there again! And no one will consider the BRF hadnīt been attended Fabiolaīs funeral!

Do you remember when Pr. and Princess Michael of Kent were present at this yearīs exhibition opening at the Marienburg near Hannover? Ernst August jr. (heir apparent of a dynasty whose monarchy was abolished about 150 years ago...) invited them to come and they went - Prince Michael even holding a speech. And this was just an exhibition opening! (this is even speaking against some of yourīs theories that the Windsors wouldnīt want people to be reminded about their german origin!).

Isnīt this single example telling you something? I firmly believe the Windsors just collect what events they wanna take part in and in which they donīt. And thereīs no offence, snub or arrogance intended. They just do what they think is right to do. I think at this point they arenīt any different like most Britains, who feel very strongly to be "Islanders" (We here, they on the continent. Or like George V put it "Abroad is awful!")!
Old 12-13-2014, 08:19 AM
Nobility

I'm not surprised. There is a serious disconnect between the BRF and their counterparts in Europe that's going to increase once Elizabeth dies.

The younger british royal generation seems more interested in meeting celebrities than meeting other royals in Europe. When William and Kate can meet celebrities in NY but the BRF can't spare a "family member" 12 hours to attend a royal funeral, people will criticise.

There is a fundamental lack of manners not to send a royal representative to a royal funeral. The ambassador represented the UK government, NOT the royal house.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Isnīt this single example telling you something? I firmly believe the Windsors just collect what events they wanna take part in and in which they donīt. And thereīs no offence, snub or arrogance intended. They just do what they think is right to do. I think at this point they arenīt any different like most Britains, who feel very strongly to be "Islanders" (We here, they on the continent. Or like George V put it "Abroad is awful!")!
It's an example of the misguided but stereotypical English "Fog in Channel - Continent Isolated" mentality, methinks.

I see it as arrogant. Was it QEII's decision? Could have been. She has been known to misjudge things before now, and she's 17 years older than her last major blunder.

Even if the EU thing was an issue, doesn't showing respect for a deceased Queen, especially one whose husband's funeral the currently reigning British Monarch had attended in person, transcend mere politics? I think it should, and I think Elizabeth should have sent a member of her family. Especially so soon after the WWI Flanders, etc., stuff. An ambassador might be a bigwig in the diplomatic corp, but an ambassador is still, essentially, a servant, and is no substitute for a member of the Monarch's family. The CC indicates a lot of the family members were available, so why didn't one of them make the short trip over the Channel? If Japan and Thailand could manage to attend, there's no excuse for Britain, IMO.

Poor form, Elizabeth.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
I'm not surprisis a serious disconnect between the BRF and their counterparts in Europe that's going to increase once Elizabeth dies.

The younger british royal generation seems more interested in meeting celebrities than meeting other royals in Europe. When William and Kate can meet celebrities in NY but the BRF can't spare a "family member" 12 hours to attend a royal funeral, people will criticise.

There is a fundamental lack of manners not to send a royal representative to a royal funeral. The ambassador represented the UK government, NOT the royal house.
12 hours? The whole thing could have been been done and dusted in about 5, it takes barely over an hour to fly from London to Brussels.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:29 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
12 hours? The whole thing could have been been done and dusted in about 5 as it only takes around an hour and a half to fly from London to Brussels.
I was being generous. There is no excuse for BRF non attendance.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
12 hours? The whole thing could have been been done and dusted in about 5 as it only takes around an hour and a half to fly from London to Brussels.
One hour and a half is the absolute max for a commercial airliner depending on the airport (Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, etc.). You can fly to Brussels in 27 minutes with a VIP-jet.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Top story from the Belgian VRT1 news:

Quote:
Absence of British royals triggers controversy

There was not a single member of the British monarchy to be seen at Queen Fabiola's funeral on Friday morning. The absence contrasted sharply with the presence of many other members of royal families from across the globe. This triggered angry and disappointed reactions on social media in the UK.
Read more here: Absence of British royals triggers controversy
Old 12-13-2014, 08:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post

Understandable reaction.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post

I'm sorry, this caused an "angry and disappointed response in the UK"? Among whom? The minuscule number of British people who even knew this was happening?

The Queen sending her ambassador to the funeral of the wife of a former foreign head of state doesn't bother me at all. If the royals had commitments at home, I'd personally rather they fulfilled those commitments. The degree of friendliness between my royal family and any other makes no practical difference to my life. Royal families don't rule the world anymore so their personal relations just don't matter any longer.

Also, could we stop with this nonsense about the Belgian and British royals being part of the same House of Saxe-Coburg Gotha? It really doesn't mean anything to anyone in this day and age. No one cares.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

As I wrote in a earlier post. Most people in the UK don't even know who Queen Fabiola or the Belgian royal family is.
The Mail comments section is always full of sick people who is writing horrible things.

My post from yesterday is in the VRT article. We should be careful with what we write, it can end up in the media.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
As I wrote in a earlier post. Most people in the UK don't even know who Queen Fabiola or the Belgian royal family is.
The Mail comments section is always full of sick people who is writing horrible things.

My post from yesterday is in the VRT article. We should be careful with what we write, it can end up in the media.
The BRF knew who Fabiola was. They know that sending a representative to Belgium's Qeen's Consort funeral was important, if nothing else but appearance sake.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Call me naive but I never imagined the press reading what we post here on our forums. Something to think about when posting in the future.
I hope you don't feel bad about being quoted in the press RN.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

There must be over a bakers dozen of HRH's in the UK at the moment and 3 of them had engagements yesterday,Brussels is a little over an hours flight from London.....personally I think they should have sent someone but for some unknown reason they didn't.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Royal Highness

Three had public engagements but others had long standing
commitments.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
What a storm in a teacup only because the BRF didnīt attend a funeral of a former Queen although only 2 or 3 handful of even Belgians said goodbye to on december 12th (as the cameras clearly prooved)....!
It's a storm in a teacup until they are on the receiving end. Would be interesting to watch future british royal funerals attended only by European ambassadors.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
That might be true but I don't agree in this case: I'm completely neutral and not very interested in the BRF, but read a large number of the comments, because I wanted to see what the reaction was in Britain:

Most of the people commenting, including many British royalists and/or those positive towards the BRF in general, thought it was embarrassing, that this was a major blunder and shouldn't have happend.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Courtier

If you wanted to know the reaction of the British people, the daily mail was not the right place to go
Old 12-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I am late to this thread and I have to say the only reason for absence that works for me is the political one. I can easily believe that the government for whatever reason advised not to attend and the BRF followed suit.

If not, I would be shocked if the BRF didn't sent a member because they were all busy what it total BS. I can't believe a spokesperson for the BRF confirmed something like that (I hope only to cover the political angle).

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii