The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

well you dont turn up unannounced or univited, do you?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIS1983 View Post
yes, this is a state funeral, you have to be invited.
My thought exactly!

Also, it is being reported here that all the airports in and around London have been closed due to a computer glitch. Don't know if that would effect anything or not...just a thought.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillVictoria View Post
Except for the fact that while they might technically be a part of the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, they haven't actually called themselves that for almost a hundred years. No member of the BRF who is currently alive has ever referred to themselves dynastically as anything other than a Windsor. On their Saxe-Coburg-Gotha side their closest mutual relative is the Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saafield who was the father of Leopold I and Victoria, Duchess of Kent.
Although Leopold I's father is their closest relative on the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha side, the closest common ancestor of Queen Elizabeth II and King Baudoin is actually King Christian IX of Denmark, who was the great-great-grandfather of both sovereigns, making them third cousins.

Incidentally, the Belgian royal family doesn't use the name Saxe-Coburg-Gotha anymore either.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Although Leopold I's father is their closest relative on the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha side, the closest common ancestor of Queen Elizabeth II and King Baudoin is actually King Christian IX of Denmark, who was the great-great-grandfather of both sovereigns, making them third cousins.

Incidentally, the Belgian royal family doesn't use the name Saxe-Coburg-Gotha anymore either.
We are talking about royals. The who-is-who, the patrimonium, the historical ties, it all adds to prestige, to standing and to the dignity of a House. Back then, to "hide" that they are Germans named Von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, the British renamed it in "Windsor" and the Belgians followed three years later by changing it in "Van België / De Belgique / Von Belgien". This does not mean that they are not scions from the same royal dynasty, of course. Exactly like the Orléans, the Parmas, the Two-Sicilies and the Borbóns all belong to the same dynasty.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Serene Highness

British royal non-attendance of Fabiola's funeral

UK was clearly invited as the ambassador was there on behalf of QEII
Old 12-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Royal Highness

I think the Belgian Royal family and the British Royal family are not very close.

I don't think any King of Belgium was part of the order of the Garter.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Serene Highness

In a word .... bad show on the part of the BRF ... or rather bad "no show".
Heir Apparent

The invite would have gone to the Foreign Office and they would determine the appropriate representation.

If the FO didn't want or require the presence of a member of the BRF than that's it.

The Foreign Office is clearly fine with being represented by the ambassador
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is out of the question that a fellow reigning Royal House, neighbouring even, a fellow memberstate of the EU and NATO, has not received an invitation.
As stated it was a national funeral, not a state one, with, apparently by request, only royal guests with some strong personnal links with the late Queen.
So maybe, just maybe, the British Court didn't receive an invitation, and it was up to the Foreign Office to send the appropriate UK representative : the British Ambassador to Belgium.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Aristocracy

I am very surprised that the Wessexes did not attend--or the Gloucesters or Kents....but if a State Funeral or a National Funeral requires an invitation...so many questions...
Old 12-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Nobility

it could be that the Belgian government would have established that it should be one austere funeral and only to invite to members of nobilities of similar age to Queen Fabiola and other conditions ...The Queen Elizabeth did her last official visit abroad in july (????I think...). I think it has been one austere funeral.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I think the Belgian Royal family and the British Royal family are not very close.

I don't think any King of Belgium was part of the order of the Garter.
Leopold I, Leopold II, Albert I, Leopold III and Baudouin were all a Knight in the Most Noble Order of the Garter.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The invite would have gone to the Foreign Office and they would determine the appropriate representation.

If the FO didn't want or require the presence of a member of the BRF than that's it.

The Foreign Office is clearly fine with being represented by the ambassador

People I've talked to on Twitter stress the same that when abroad it's the Foreign Office that has the final word and not the BRF.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by misselle View Post
I am very surprised that the Wessexes did not attend--or the Gloucesters or Kents....but if a State Funeral or a National Funeral requires an invitation...so many questions...
It was not a state funeral. I also assume, although I cannot confirm it, that some sort of invitation was sent. I don't expect for example that the daughter of the King of Thailand or the Empress of Japan would show up uninvited.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I have just telephoned the general enquiries number at Buckingham Palace who were unable to give me an answer (it was the switchboard lady who sounded quite nice) and they tried to put me through to the press office, but the rather un-enthusuastic women there said no-one was available to give me an answer.
I must say, I have no idea why no-one from the British Royal Family was able to attend Queen Fabiola's funeral especially seeing that representation from other royal families has been impressive.
quite proactive of you to have called them! i didn't know the palace were that reachable/approachable to ask them such questions.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 12-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Commoner

It is British protocol for a monarch not to attend a funeral of a royal outside of her family. Elizabeth II did break that once when she attended the funeral of Fabiola's husband in the 90's.

With that being said, I too find it strange that none of the British Royals were in attendance. Queen Elizabeth welcomed the new King and Queen of the Belgians to Buckingham palace and the King was just in the UK a few months ago.. I have no idea.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Royal Highness

I think the Greek Royal family also was not at the funeral.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

The then Duke and Duchess of Brabant were at the wedding of William and Kate and since then British and Belgium royals have had many joint appearances.

No one is snubbing anyone. Its just ultimately in Britain the FO/Government makes such calls and not the Queen
Old 12-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
People I've talked to on Twitter stress the same that when abroad it's the Foreign Office that has the final word and not the BRF.

Come on! Do you really believe that, if the Queen wanted to send a representative to an international event, the FO would dare to say "No"?
I think it is very simple: The BRF wasn´t that close to Fabiola. She was married to a foreign distant cousin from the continent who himself died long ago. May be Fabiola wasn´t "important enough" for some of them to attend: She wasn´t the last Queen of Belgium before the current one, but even predecessor of her! I mean, when was Fabiola´s last contact to the Queen (of Britain), f. instance? Over 20 years ago?

It occurs to me that the BRF only mingles with other Royals when it is absolutely necessary (Prince of Wales seems to be a bit of the exception; he seems to enjoy the company of his continental cousins).
And the younger generation seem to follow that pattern. I remember seeing a photo of Pr. Harry at the London olympics when Princes Daniel and Carl Philip of Sweden greeted him and William (I think it was). While William managed to smile at them politely, Harry´s face spoke volumes: It was somethin´ like "Just get lost, guys! Who are you anyway? Wanne watch the game...!"
Old 12-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Aristocracy

All said and done, the BRF not being represented by a royal is something that everyone is talking about. It may die down a few days later, but definitely be brought up again at the funeral of the Queen or DoE. Or the wedding of the next generation where all others royals will be present.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii