The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

There were to day two cérémonies amass in the Palatine chapel and a civil ceremony in the room of the throne for the signature of the births of the twins .
Prince Albert attended with his father the funeral of King Baudoin, he attended the funerals of Prince Claus, princess Juliana and prince Berhnard as hereditary Prince .
He was reveived in many courts and there were a lot of Kings, Queens , crown princes and crowns princess and heads of states present to the wedding of prince Albert, there was the entire royal family present to his wedding.

The problem is that Caroline does not like to be present at the events of the royal families since she is no more with Ernst August, apart for the wedding of Guillaume of Luxemburg. also when Albert can not be present, there is nobody who can attend to these events.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
They belong to the same royal dynasty (the House of Saxen-Coburg and Gotha).
I would be so surprised if the BRF think of that, anymore than they consider themselves Hanovarians or Stuarts.

House of Windsor - that's it.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I've expressed my opinion that I thought it was very odd to me that the British royal family didn't send a familial representative to Queen Fabiola's funeral but it in no way changes my respect or admiration for them We do not know for a fact why nor do we know if the Queen conveyed her own personal condolences for their loss. Some things we will never know.

It is not a international crisis and I would bet my last pretzel that should Baudoin and Fabiola have been standing there in spirit, holding hands, at the funeral mass, they would have been warmly smiling at those that were there and holding fond memories of those who were not. Somehow they do not strike me as a couple that thrived on pettiness.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I know the history, I just dont believe the BRF think of themselves as other than Windsor.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
There were to day two cérémonies amass in the Palatine chapel and a civil ceremony in the room of the throne for the signature of the births of the twins .
Prince Albert attended with his father the funeral of King Baudoin, he attended the funerals of Prince Claus, princess Juliana and prince Berhnard as hereditary Prince .
He was reveived in many courts and there were a lot of Kings, Queens , crown princes and crowns princess and heads of states present to the wedding of prince Albert, there was the entire royal family present to his wedding.

The problem is that Caroline does not like to be present at the events of the royal families since she is no more with Ernst August, apart for the wedding of Guillaume of Luxemburg. also when Albert can not be present, there is nobody who can attend to these events.
I think Princess Caroline was okay with attending the Luxembourg wedding because she appears to have a close relationship with Henri and MT. She and Henri have been friends since they were children. I've read rumors that Grace hoped they would fall in love and marry.

When Albert got married he seated Henri and MT at the same table as his family.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintgilles View Post
Albert von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha was the husband of Queen Victoria

"From King Edward VII, who reigned from 1901 to 1910, until 1917 when King George V replaced the German-sounding title with the name of Windsor during the First World War, British monarchs belonged to the House of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha"

House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Except for the fact that while they might technically be a part of the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, they haven't actually called themselves that for almost a hundred years. No member of the BRF who is currently alive has ever referred to themselves dynastically as anything other than a Windsor. On their Saxe-Coburg-Gotha side their closest mutual relative is the Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saafield who was the father of Leopold I and Victoria, Duchess of Kent. It appears to me that after the deaths of uncle Leopold (Leopold I) and Queen Victoria the families did what most originally close families do when the senior members die off, drift apart. And due both to the conflicting religions (Catholicism vs. Anglicanism) which lead to a lack of intermarrying and the fact that they aren't as close geographically as, say, BeNeLux or the Scandinavian monarchies, the two royally families never exhibited the same close and sustaining bond other monarchies had.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Serene Highness

If they don't have a very good reason to stay home (serious illnes of a close family member or something like that wich we don't know) this is a real snub ! And it is irritating that other royals are expected to show up with their most senior members as soon as there are an event in Britain but they can't show the same respect to other countries !!

I hope they haven't excused themselves with "scheduling conflicts" as Death never comes "scheduled" in nearly all other monarchies an Empress, Kings, Queens, Princes and Princess'es clearly were able to reschedule their agendas to attend the funeral of a woman styles Her Majesty and who was Queen of the Belgians for 33 years.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

I had assumed that all the royal families would be present (reigning and non-reigning), but if it was a wish of Q.Fabiola that only people attended who she had a personal bond with, than i it's great that they respected her wishes.
Would be way worse if people had turned up just because it's "tradition"
Old 12-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Serene Highness

Perhaps we should cease criticizing the entire BRF for this.

This was a decision of no one other than HM herself.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
I had assumed that all the royal families would be present (reigning and non-reigning), but if it was a wish of Q.Fabiola that only people attended who she had a personal bond with, than i it's great that they respected her wishes.
Would be way worse if people had turned up just because it's "tradition"
It seemed it was also Queen Fabiola's wishes that she would not lie in state, that her funeral should be in the parish church of Laeken only, etc. (statements by her Confessor, Père Benoît Lobet, Doyen of Enghien). These wishes were also not fulfilled... And... what was the personal relationship of Queen Fabiola with the representant of the Emir of Quwait or Princess Sirindhorn of Thailand?

Old 12-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

It does seem a bit odd that the Queen didn't send someone. (I'd expect it to be Edward, since it seems he usually goes to other European Royal events).

But you'd think someone would be able to attend.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillVictoria View Post
[...] and the fact that they aren't as close geographically as, say, BeNeLux or the Scandinavian monarchies, [...]
The distance between Dover and Calais (close to the Belgian border) is just 34 km. From Heathrow to Brussels International is appr 27 minutes... for normal flights. VIP-flights go faster... Tell that to the Empress of Japan or Princess Sirindhorn of Thailand...

Old 12-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I would be so surprised if the BRF think of that, anymore than they consider themselves Hanovarians or Stuarts.

House of Windsor - that's it.
I agree. We're a thoroughly British Royal Family
Old 12-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Aristocracy

I'm very disappointed with HM QEII for not sending someone from her family. It gives the impression of snobbery and arrogance. I love the BRF, but I'm not liking this. Hopefully a very good reason will come out.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:08 PM
Royal Highness

The Grimaldi also were not present at the funeral. Why? Caroline was not and Stéphanie never goes any event from other Royal houses. Why?

The Windsor should have gone. They could have sent Prince Charles or the count of Wessex.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Nobility

This decision is not of the Head of the Royal House, it is one state funeral, to be invited or not, depends on many factors,.....the first factor, is to receive the invitation( it depends relation between States). The second, is to accept the invitation,(it depends relation between States or other interests of the governments).
Old 12-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
If they don't have a very good reason to stay home (serious illnes of a close family member or something like that wich we don't know) this is a real snub ! And it is irritating that other royals are expected to show up with their most senior members as soon as there are an event in Britain but they can't show the same respect to other countries !!

I hope they haven't excused themselves with "scheduling conflicts" as Death never comes "scheduled" in nearly all other monarchies an Empress, Kings, Queens, Princes and Princess'es clearly were able to reschedule their agendas to attend the funeral of a woman styles Her Majesty and who was Queen of the Belgians for 33 years.
Truth. I don't understand this behavior of the British Royal family.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Has anyone asked the Foreign Office? Ultimately they call the tune in Britain, not the Queen
Old 12-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIS1983 View Post
This decision is not of the Head of the Royal House, it is one state funeral, to be invited or not, depends on many factors,.....the first factor, is to receive the invitation( it depends relation between States). The second, is to accept the invitation,(it depends relation between States or other interests of the governments). It is not, if this monarchy is my friend or no, it is if my government authorizes me, to invite to this monarchy .

A invitation for a funeral???
Old 12-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Nobility

yes, this is a state funeral, you have to be invited.

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii