Old 12-12-2014, 05:28 AM
Majesty

No show from the Brits!! Typical!

Old 12-12-2014, 05:33 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
No show from the Brits!! Typical!
Yeah, with king Boudewijn, Queen Elizabeth was present. Now no-one. Not that I want to call them arrogant, but I do find it strange.

Indeed, Maria-Laura seems very moved. Even Lili seems sad.

Quite a contrast with queen Paola, I must say

I do love the music in this ceremony. But those people who took pictures with there phones when the coffin and the royal family entered the cathedral ... yuk.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:39 AM
Nobility

well , for me their is no excuse for the BRF to not send a senior royal to the funeral .
the family is big , if the queen is busy and the PoW, DoC also so what about her other children grandchildren cosins ect ??
queen fabiola was an ira not just a great queen .
Old 12-12-2014, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

I have just telephoned the general enquiries number at Buckingham Palace who were unable to give me an answer (it was the switchboard lady who sounded quite nice) and they tried to put me through to the press office, but the rather un-enthusuastic women there said no-one was available to give me an answer.
I must say, I have no idea why no-one from the British Royal Family was able to attend Queen Fabiola's funeral especially seeing that representation from other royal families has been impressive.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:51 AM
Majesty

Thanks Jack, not surprised though. There are definitely isolationist tendencies here I think (rather than arrogant ignorance). Would HM and Prince Philip not have been a contemporaries?

I can understand sending the Wessexes to all the weddings, but really, for such an occassion as this? Nobody!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:57 AM
Gentry

The girl of Laurent and Claire in English :o It's the first time we heard her and Gabriël speak in public, no?
Old 12-12-2014, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I have just telephoned the general enquiries number at Buckingham Palace who were unable to give me an answer (it was the switchboard lady who sounded quite nice) and they tried to put me through to the press office, but the rather un-enthusuastic women there said no-one was available to give me an answer.
I must say, I have no idea why no-one from the British Royal Family was able to attend Queen Fabiola's funeral especially seeing that representation from other royal families has been impressive.
Oh well you tried your very best Jacknch and if the press office can't answer the non attendance question then I guess no one can!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:03 AM
Courtier

It really annoys that when theres an English Royal event the other Royal famies are kinda expected to be represented in force (Queen Elizabeth's 50th and 60th jubilees for ex) but when other monarchies have their own events British presence is 8/10 minor or non existent, I'm mean the Empress flew halfway across the world just to attend ONE event,might I add she's only about 6 years younger than Queen Elizabeth,a short plane ride wouldn't have killed anyone...... At this rate we can expect a rather local guest list with regards to future British Royal events
Old 12-12-2014, 06:04 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
It really annoys that when theres an English Royal event the other Royal famies are kinda expected to be represented in force (Queen Elizabeth's 50th and 60th jubilees for ex) but when other monarchies have their own events British presence is 8/10 minor or non existent...... At this rate we can expect a rather local guest list with regards to future British Royal events
Its true ... They seem arrogance for me
Old 12-12-2014, 06:17 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
It really annoys that when theres an English Royal event the other Royal famies are kinda expected to be represented in force (Queen Elizabeth's 50th and 60th jubilees for ex) but when other monarchies have their own events British presence is 8/10 minor or non existent, I'm mean the Empress flew halfway across the world just to attend ONE event,might I add she's only about 6 years younger than Queen Elizabeth,a short plane ride wouldn't have killed anyone...... At this rate we can expect a rather local guest list with regards to future British Royal events
Actually I agree with you. The more I think of it, the more it annoys me that tere isn't anyone present.
I find it very nice of the Empress to attend. Tv said that it's only the second time that she's visiting a foreign country without her husband. It's quite strange that the Brits don't manage to show up.

I love how queen Mathilde holds her daughters hands :) It also seemed like she wanted to hug Elizabeth and Gabriël when they went back to their seats after reading. She seems such a loving mother!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, when we see that the Spanish Sovereign did attend the funerals of the consort of Queen Beatrix (Prince Claus), of the former Dutch Sovereign (Queen Juliana) and of the consort of Queen Juliana (Prince Bernhard), and this compares to the attendance of the British Sovereign, it is pretty telling...
Old 12-12-2014, 06:25 AM
Aristocracy

I do not believe that no one was available. I understand that Queen Elizabeth didn´t come, but really nobody?
Seems that BRF just don´t care.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:25 AM
Heir Apparent

The strange thing is that both Elizabeth von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (a.k.a. "Windsor") and Baudouin von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (a.k.a. "De Belgique") are also related... So it is not only a fellow monarchy which is snubbed, it is also "family" let down.

I can not imagine that the House Orange-Nassau (Netherlands) would ever remain absent from an event in the related House Nassau (Luxembourg), vice-versa...
Old 12-12-2014, 06:28 AM
Gentry

Queen Elizabeth did attend king Boudewijns funeral, so that's wat makes it strange no-one is here today. And yes, they are family (I guess by king Albert, husband of queen Victoria?)

Oh, Laurent showed up. With sunglasses ...
Old 12-12-2014, 06:29 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair
The strange thing is that both Queen Elizabeth and the late King Baudouin are Von Sachsen-Coburg und Gothas by paternal descendance
well, I don't have the habit of going to funerals of relatives in the 9th degree or so. I imagine that most of us don't.

The Belgian press said that only royals attended with whom the queen had a personal connection. Maybe that is an explanation. It is a national funeral, not a state funeral.

Belgian tv speculates about it though: they recall that there was a problem of the British RF not being represented at the funeral of Leopold either, which was not appreciated by Baudouin. And they remember that Baudouin did not go to the funeral of George VI as he thought that protocol did not allow it (he had not paid a state visit to the UK yet) - something that was not appreciated by QEII at the time.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:31 AM
Courtier

I can't say that I follow the BRF that close, but somehow I'm not surprised. It seems like the other Royal families - especially the european ones - try to maintain a good relationship. The brits, however, aren't interested. Or don't seem to be interested.

I especially remember when (almost) all the european Crown princes/princesses met a couple of years ago. No sign of the BRF there either. And I think it's sad. Being a royal must be a very special life with special challeneges. Having a personal relationship with other royals must make life a bit easier.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveline View Post
Queen Elizabeth did attend king Boudewijns funeral, so that's wat makes it strange no-one is here today. And yes, they are family (I guess by king Albert, husband of queen Victoria?)

Oh, Laurent showed up. With sunglasses ...
Back then King Baoudouin died in the middle of summer holiday. Queen Elizabeth had an emty agenda for weeks, it was impossible for her not to show up.

Yes, the direct links are Leopold I (uncle of Queen Victoria) and Albert (spouse of Queen Victoria).

Old 12-12-2014, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveline View Post
The girl of Laurent and Claire in English :o It's the first time we heard her and Gabriël speak in public, no?

Eveline please post in this thread with comments regarding Queen Fabiola's Funeral

Funeral of Queen Fabiola: December 12, 2014
Heir Apparent

I'm disappointed that HMQ did not send a member of the BRF, but she is represented.

Idont think it is arrogance which would mean a deliberate insult. That is not something I think HMQ would do.

As for the idea that she expects other royals to attend her events, I dont agree with that. She sends invites and hopes. She is always surprised when her 'personal' events are a success.

I am sure she has written to King Phillipe and that will be a personal message.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
well, I don't have the habit of going to funerals of relatives in the 9th degree or so. I imagine that most of us don't.

The Belgian press said that only royals attended with whom the queen had a personal connection. Maybe that is an explanation. It is a national funeral, not a state funeral.
Yes but this is also about representing a Royal House. Name them all: Portugal, Italy, Russia, Liechtenstein, Orléans. It goes beyond direct relationship, but in the British case it is extra remarkable because both Elizabeth and Baudouin (and Albert, and Philippe) are Prinz (Prinzessin) von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha by male descendance.

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii