The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Courtier

This EU stuff is very confusing, even coming from an Australia point of view where we have 3 tiers of government - sometimes all three are responsible for certain projects and areas of responsibility.

So at the end of the day, is the Queen or any other European royal HoS's position threatened by the EU/Council of Minister etc etc?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Heir Apparent

At Victoria's wedding,I did'nt get why all those monarchs took time to go to that wedding and Elizabeth did'nt.The same thing goes with othe weddings in the past.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Gentry

Since the name change in 1917, the British royals have maintained an arms length relationship with their relatives on the continent. This, and, the gradual stop in all the inbreeding that was one of the halmarks of the Victorian/Edwardian royalty. If there has been any sort of inbreeding of late it was with the Queen and Prince Philip and King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie.

I am sure the Queen cares about her fellow sovereigns, but I have always noticed the difference between the more liberal, low key Scandinavian monarchies and the conservative high- profile British monarchy. The Spanish monarchy is just as conservative but is as low key as their Scandinavian neighbors.

When I say low key I mean not as well known on the world stage as the British monarchy. I like that they are low key and largely drama free unlike the British monarchy in the past few decades.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
At Victoria's wedding,I did'nt get why all those monarchs took time to go to that wedding and Elizabeth did'nt.The same thing goes with othe weddings in the past.
It's always been maintained that the Monarch never goes to weddings or funerals outside her own close family. This is why, when QE2 attended the funeral of King Baudouin, it was such a surprise.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Well George V and Queen Mary attended the wedding of the Kaiser's daughter Viktoria Luise in 1913. Prior to that the Duke and Duchess of York and the Prince of Wales (in the tradition of the Wessexes) did a lot of the continental weddings.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Like others have said, it's not tradition for the Queen to attend European Royal weddings; this role has gone to Edward and Sophie since their marriage, however I think Edward and Sophie go because they realistically have more in common with those who are marrying, and other wedding guests. They are the youngest of the Queen's "clan" who could go, as well as having small children, they can relate to a lot of the other guests, as many of the other Royal guests have young children. I also think because they have attended the majority of the European weddings over the years, they know the couple getting married and are genuine friends with them. (For example, in the case of Prince Albert and Charlene's wedding, Edward and Sophie had met Prince Albert and Charlene several times before their wedding, developing a friendship with them.)

Also, perhaps Edward and Sophie actually enjoy going to these state occasions.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Administrator

And before Edward and Sophie...the Queen had Charles and Phillip represent her. Prince Phillip was just in Jordan for the wedding of Prince Rashid bin Hassan. Charles represented the Queen at the wedding of the now Grand Duke and Duchess of Luexmbourg months before his wedding to Diana. And in the 60's and 70's, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Princess Marina of Kent as well as the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester had the honor.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:20 AM
Gentry

Is a very English thing. The Sachsen-Coburg und Gothas (aka Windsors) and the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburgs (aka Mountbattens) suffer from germanophobia.
The Queen dared to marry a Glücksburg!, but I bet that today no more than 5% of the British public really know who Prince Philip is. Before that Queen Mary had to prove her 'Englishness' even when the poor woman was born and bread in the UK.
Even the venerable Queen Victoria sometimes complained about those German pincelings marrying into the family, she was probably too old and feeble to remember her own Albert.

My point is that even today after Diana, Sarah, Kate, etc.. there is some suspition of not being British enough, plus a genetic snobbery not only in the RF but in the British people, you get an undeniable contempt towards the euro trash royals across the channel.

Meanwhile they keep marrying happily with trees in the abbey and a quick snack for the old and boring people that we-do-not-want-to-invite to the super cool party that make us look more and more bourgeois. Cheers mates!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Well family ties between the BFR and their continental counterparts are becoming more remote with each generation, so they are becoming more like professional collegues than family. . Certainly having the Queen not trot all over Europe for every wedding or birthday party has not hurt the throne, and does not seem to have damaged cordial relations with other royal families since they still come to London when invited to and still accept the Queens chosen representatives at their family celebrations.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well family ties between the BFR and their continental counterparts are becoming more remote with each generation, so they are becoming more like professional collegues than family.
I noticed this when I watched an interview of King Constantine II and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece prior to William and Catherine's wedding.

Queen Anne-Marie pointed out that going to these weddings is really like going to family weddings for them, since her sister is Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and her sister-in-law is Queen Sofia of Spain. She's also a 1st cousin of King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden. I may be wrong, but I believe the closest relation that Queen Elizabeth II has to another European monarch is King Harald V of Norway, and they're 2nd cousins.

All of the monarchs are related to some degree, but I would imagine that many of the continental royals are closer to each other than to the BRF due to their close family ties.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Serene Highness

Yes,that is so true because weddings also seem to be like family reunions as well since all royal families are related to one another,
It's also a time when if there monarchs can catch up,
Old 08-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Wasn't there a rul;e that the monarch was not allowed to leave the UK under some of the Hanovarians? I am reading a book on the congress of Vianna and the author (Adam Zomoyski) says that that rule made it impossible for the prince regent to attend the congress (like most other monarchs). When was it lifted? During Victoria's reign or before it?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Wasn't there a rul;e that the monarch was not allowed to leave the UK under some of the Hanovarians? I am reading a book on the congress of Vianna and the author (Adam Zomoyski) says that that rule made it impossible for the prince regent to attend the congress (like most other monarchs). When was it lifted? During Victoria's reign or before it?

As the King of Britain were also Kings of Hanover I doubt that that would be possible - as otherwise they wouldn't be able to visit one of their own kingdoms.

Of course the monarch nowadays, and I suspect then, had to have the approval of the parliament to leave Britain.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
In the act of settlement the monarch is forbidden from leaving Britain without the approve of parliament, however this section was repealed due to the request of George I who use to make many visits to Hanover.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Seems quite stuck up if all the other royal families interact but the BRF can't be bothered.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Aristocracy

well i think their interaction with Europe might have been differnt had the Romanovs and the Hohenzollern's retained thier thrones. After WW1 and the Russian revolution not happend and the Kaiser was not deposed .

seeing as those were the 2 major continental european monarchies and if they were here and alive today might rival the house of Windsor for the spot light .

just my 2 cents but if a Tsesarevich of Russia or a Crown Prince of Germany was getting married. im fairly confident a Senior member of the house of Windsor would attend i dont think they would send Edward and Sophie
Old 09-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
I noticed this when I watched an interview of King Constantine II and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece prior to William and Catherine's wedding.

Queen Anne-Marie pointed out that going to these weddings is really like going to family weddings for them, since her sister is Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and her sister-in-law is Queen Sofia of Spain. She's also a 1st cousin of King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden. I may be wrong, but I believe the closest relation that Queen Elizabeth II has to another European monarch is King Harald V of Norway, and they're 2nd cousins.

All of the monarchs are related to some degree, but I would imagine that many of the continental royals are closer to each other than to the BRF due to their close family ties.
I think this explains it very well. King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie are actually quite pivotal because of who their siblings are and thus their immediate close connections with the Danish and Spanish royal families. They attend quite a number of events attended by the British royal family such as birthday parties and anniversaries etc.
Also, the Scandinavian countries are very close politically and economically adding another layer to the royal bonds they share.
It is difficult to ascertain how close members of the BRF are to other royal families. The Queen will I am sure regards all the other monarchs as friends as well as "counterparts" and it is easy to assume that she will be in contact with them on a friendly basis quite regularly (such as when Queen Margrethe visits London every year for Christmas shopping - she may well pop in to see Queen Elizabeth
Old 09-01-2011, 01:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by doric44 View Post
well i think their interaction with Europe might have been differnt had the Romanovs and the Hohenzollern's retained thier thrones. After WW1 and the Russian revolution not happend and the Kaiser was not deposed .

seeing as those were the 2 major continental european monarchies and if they were here and alive today might rival the house of Windsor for the spot light .

just my 2 cents but if a Tsesarevich of Russia or a Crown Prince of Germany was getting married. im fairly confident a Senior member of the house of Windsor would attend i dont think they would send Edward and Sophie

The best evidence to support that claim occurred in 2004 - Frederick marries and Edward and Sophie attend but the week later Felipe marries and Charles also attends - Spain being a much bigger monarchy on a world wide scale - with many South and Central American countries having had ties to Spain - not to mention the fact that Charles has been friends with Juan Carlos etc for years.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The best evidence to support that claim occurred in 2004 - Frederick marries and Edward and Sophie attend but the week later Felipe marries and Charles also attends - Spain being a much bigger monarchy on a world wide scale - with many South and Central American countries having had ties to Spain - not to mention the fact that Charles has been friends with Juan Carlos etc for years.
Wasn't that the year of the Jordanian wedding too, which Prince Andrew attended? The siblings took a wedding each that year.

I think it all boils down to the fact that Edward and Sophie have the most in common with other Royals who attend these weddings. I imagine now, however, as William and Catherine are married, they may take over the role from Edward and Sophie, being the newly married couple and within the age range of the other attenders.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Wasn't that the year of the Jordanian wedding too, which Prince Andrew attended? The siblings took a wedding each that year.

I think it all boils down to the fact that Edward and Sophie have the most in common with other Royals who attend these weddings. I imagine now, however, as William and Catherine are married, they may take over the role from Edward and Sophie, being the newly married couple and within the age range of the other attenders.

I don't know about the Jordanian wedding but Edward and Sophie also attended Felipe's along with Charles.

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii