The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-13-2004, 10:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, i also agree with you.We should not balme The Queen so much.Although anything she has tried a lot to do anything she can do.We should respect her.
Also, The Queen is busy with engagements than other Royals.So she can not attend.

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 12-14-2004, 12:02 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
I'm afraid that the Windors seem to think that they are somehow better than other royals and that belief is held by many British royalist. I once hear somebody comment that the British royals were the only "real" royalty in the world. She claimed that other Kings and Queens were not real royalty and only held their titles because the British monarch allowed them to use them. Sadly, I think Elizabeth believes that also.
Wow I can't believe that! Whoever said that the windsors were the only "real royalty" obviously didn't know what they were talking about. That's nonsense.

Old 12-14-2004, 01:12 AM
Heir Apparent

I do not think so.It is not true.Why should we always complain/claim The British Royals especially The Queen.Everyone is human,and no one can be perfect!So if you were her,can you do better or as she has done?Do not sit there and claim a lot!
Old 12-14-2004, 01:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
Yes, i also agree with you.We should not balme The Queen so much.Although anything she has tried a lot to do anything she can do.We should respect her.
Also, The Queen is busy with engagements than other Royals.So she can not attend.
yeah i agree with you too!

i respectively with HM Queen because she really busy woman and she cant leave the London for state wedding her youngest son/daughter-in-law Earl and Countess of Wessex can attend it because his mum really busy to do! because the Queen really nearly 80 years old she is 77 years old im sure! but HM Queen can go for state trips but she cant attend for state weddings i understand! when she attend for soceity royal wedding with her 2 Royals grandson Prince William and Prince Harry.

Sara Boyce
Old 12-14-2004, 01:21 AM
Courtier

There's absolutely no evidence that suggests that she thinks she's better than any of the monarchs (except perhaps Monaco, but everyone looks down on them). She doesn't go because it doesn't interest her. It's better for her to stay home rather than go and be miserable, like Charles was accused of being at the 2001 Norway wedding.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, i do not like them to complain about The Queen, she is not free. Other Royals they rarely have visit but The Queen not.She is not only have visit but also do some works more.She has to read Government documents,reports,sign papers....Do not let her do a lot of things!She is 79 years old next year already.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes,i also think that.Maybe Her Majesty does not like to attend there because of these reasons.Firstly, at Weddings it usually very noisy and how old is Her Majesty?She is nearly 80.The old they do not like noisy.Secondly, nearly all other European Royals are younger than her so it is not easy in talking.It's true.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:43 AM
Nobility

[QUOTE=Vicomtesse]That's a snooty attitude for the Queen to have isn't? Some of the other royals are just as royal as her like Sofia, Beatrix, Margrethe. If they can all mix and mingle with each other so can Queen Elizabeth.

The truth is that the other royals are thr rightful monarchs of their countries but the Windsors are not the rightful royal family of Britain, that should be the Stuarts and the Windors know this. Somebody once said that the reason Elizabeth doesn't mix with the other monarchs is that she doesn't approve of their down to earth approach and their very human, "common" touch.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Courtier

I think that the real "reason" is simply that she follows a kind of tradition.

In fact, she didn't attend funerals and weddings abroad even when she was younger, so the reason is not her age.
But she did attend royal (and NON-royal: remember Grovesnor-Van Custem) weddings when they took place in the UK, so the reason is not that she dislikes other royals.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
Yes, i do not like them to complain about The Queen, she is not free. Other Royals they rarely have visit but The Queen not.She is not only have visit but also do some works more.She has to read Government documents,reports,sign papers....Do not let her do a lot of things!She is 79 years old next year already.
You don't think the other kings and queens don't do the same thing Queen Elizabeth does???
You don't think Margrethe, Albert, Harald, Henri, Carl Gustav, Juan Carlos and the others don't work as hard as Queen Elizabeth???
What kind of government documents, reports and papers does Queen Elizabeth sign??? Her monarchy is mostly SYMBOLIC. She signs papers just as a formality. She doesn't actually decide if those things should be law or not. TONY BLAIR decides those things.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Courtier

Possible solutions

I asked this question a few months ago when Edward and Sophie attended the Danish Royal Wedding and this is what we came up with.

The choice of whom attends the wedding is noramally made by couriers and often depends on the rank of the person getting married. Normally Prince Charles attends the weddings of crown princes and princesses. The Earl and Countess of Wessex attend the rest and this included extended family members within Britain eg, Lady Sarah Catto, Helen Taylor, Ivar Mountbatten, ect.

The first been whom the invitation is made up to. Royal wedding invitations are normally addressed to the Queen as the head of the family, she can than sent out whom she wishes. It once happened at William Alexander's wedding where Edward was invited separately, so we got the unually occurarance that Charles, Edward and Sophie attended. It is possible that Edward and Sophie might just have more in common with the current generation of European royals than his siblings. It must be remembered there are post-parties, yacht rides and a whole range of wedding things that I not certain Charles or the Queen will be comfortable at.

When Prince Charles attends, it is an official engagement. He'll arrive before the wedding and leave shortly afterwards. Edward and Sophie often do all the pre-wedding festivites and the post parties. The problem is if Charles or Andrew do the whole wedding party thing, the press will concerntrate on that and not on the bride or groom. The headline will be "Charles and Camilla watch Royal Wedding in longing for their own" or "Randy and Girl-Friend of the week party at Royal Bash." Edward and Sophie are low key the press don't care. They also don't like sending Charles to orthodox Roman Catholic or Greek Orthodox weddings. They have to find out if the Royal Family is okay with divorcees.

The Queen doesn't attend weddings due to the problem created due to her security demands. There is also a dillema regarding protocol. The Queen is the longest reigning monarch among the current monarchs and thus is the highest ranked royal in protocal. You can understand the problem that the parents of the bride and groom should be given that honour. Or that political close royals normally will give the precedent to each other, eg. the Scandinavian royals. There is also a problem that the Queen's engagements are finalised a year and a bit in advanced.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Courtier

Carl Gustav doesn't work as hard as the rest. He's informed in meetings what's going on in the government, he doesn't get daily documents like the others. And you can look at the Norwegian's official schedule and see that they don't carry out half as many engagements as some of the other royals houses. The workload in the UK is greater than in any other monarchy.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I asked this question a few months ago when Edward and Sophie attended the Danish Royal Wedding and this is what we came up with.

The choice of whom attends the wedding is noramally made by couriers and often depends on the rank of the person getting married. Normally Prince Charles attends the weddings of crown princes and princesses. The Earl and Countess of Wessex attend the rest and this included extended family members within Britain eg, Lady Sarah Catto, Helen Taylor, Ivar Mountbatten, ect.

The first been whom the invitation is made up to. Royal wedding invitations are normally addressed to the Queen as the head of the family, she can than sent out whom she wishes. It once happened at William Alexander's wedding where Edward was invited separately, so we got the unually occurarance that Charles, Edward and Sophie attended. It is possible that Edward and Sophie might just have more in common with the current generation of European royals than his siblings. It must be remembered there are post-parties, yacht rides and a whole range of wedding things that I not certain Charles or the Queen will be comfortable at.

When Prince Charles attends, it is an official engagement. He'll arrive before the wedding and leave shortly afterwards. Edward and Sophie often do all the pre-wedding festivites and the post parties. The problem is if Charles or Andrew do the whole wedding party thing, the press will concerntrate on that and not on the bride or groom. The headline will be "Charles and Camilla watch Royal Wedding in longing for their own" or "Randy and Girl-Friend of the week party at Royal Bash." Edward and Sophie are low key the press don't care. They also don't like sending Charles to orthodox Roman Catholic or Greek Orthodox weddings. They have to find out if the Royal Family is okay with divorcees.

The Queen doesn't attend weddings due to the problem created due to her security demands. There is also a dillema regarding protocol. The Queen is the longest reigning monarch among the current monarchs and thus is the highest ranked royal in protocal. You can understand the problem that the parents of the bride and groom should be given that honour. Or that political close royals normally will give the precedent to each other, eg. the Scandinavian royals. There is also a problem that the Queen's engagements are finalised a year and a bit in advanced.
I think these are the most likely reasons, especially protocol.
Now I remember that I watched Prince Felipe of Spain's wedding on TV and, while I was seeing all the Royals arriving to church, I thought: "Now I understand why the Queen never attends weddings: she would have precedence over them all, even Juan Carlos and Sophia, but this would be very odd."
When she goes abroad, she is regarded as the most important person and she takes precedence, but a wedding is half-way between public and private, the bride and groom must be at the centre of the scene, so the Queen's presence would be embarassing for them all, and also for herself.
If she stays at home, no one will have any problem (and taxpayers will be more happy).
Old 12-18-2004, 06:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
The Queen doesn't attend weddings due to the problem created due to her security demands. There is also a dillema regarding protocol. The Queen is the longest reigning monarch among the current monarchs and thus is the highest ranked royal in protocal. You can understand the problem that the parents of the bride and groom should be given that honour. Or that political close royals normally will give the precedent to each other, eg. the Scandinavian royals.
When a couple gets married their parents sit separately from the royal guests. So there would be no problem if Queen Elizabeth attended that she would be deemed more important than even the parents of the bride and groom and about where to sit her even BEFORE the parents.
What happens then when the Queen attends a wedding in London??? Doe she sit before the parents right behind the bride and groom??? NO. She sits as the first guest on one side.
This isn't a valid reason for explaining why the Queen goes to weddings in the country but not in other countries.
If security is such a problem how do you explain the security problems when she visits other countries??? Only at weddings in other countries is there a security problem right???
Old 12-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Royal Highness

Why does she take precedence over other royals? Isn't the monarchy in Denmark the oldest monarchy?
Old 12-18-2004, 08:23 PM
Courtier

There are security provisions in place when she visits other countries, same as there are for when other monarchs visit the UK. Juan Carlos doesn't attend events because of ETA factor and because he doesn't want to. EIIR may not attend due to the security factor and the fact that she isn't interested. Several times, she has had to cancel at the last minute due to problems in the government.

Monarchs take precedence according to length of reign (and sometimes rank, meaning Rainier, even though the longest-reigning monarch in Europe, would rank only before Hans-Adam).
Old 12-19-2004, 07:29 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
Why does she take precedence over other royals? Isn't the monarchy in Denmark the oldest monarchy?
Yeah, thats what I was thinking too..
Old 12-19-2004, 08:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandee
Yeah, thats what I was thinking too..
I think it is becaus she has been queen for the longest time her in Europe

Old 12-19-2004, 08:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
Because she is the oldest reigning monarch titled "Majesty" and has been monarch the longest. Prince Rainer is older but he is only a Serene Highness.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes,i also think so.The Queen is the longest reigning monarch in Europe now.Why should you always want The Queen to appear at the Weddings?How old is she now?We should not let someone do things they do not like!She has worked a lot,she is so hard-working.I know that Queen Margrethe,Queen Beatrix,King Carl Gustav,King Juan Carlos,...also work hard but you must remember first Queen Elizabeth II is already 52 years on the throne!How long are the others?

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii