The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Royal Highness

I understand that they also have prior engagements but this is a big birthday for a European monarch. It shouldn't be looked as a duty because it's more of a party. Yes they would have to represent this country but they do this all the time; why would this time be any different? And Queen Beatrix has her own Queen Day smack dab in the middle of all these festivties and she's still going. And the SRF and the DRF are not that close in terms of genealogy I think. I know Queen Juliana was Carl Gustaf's godmother but I think that's about it. As said before many times, they could have sent somebody.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:02 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

The BRF are known for scheduling their calendars up to two years in advance; yet the SRF sent out the invitations a mere six weeks in advance. I don't know of another family that schedules itself out so far in advance as the BRF does. In the past, I've been critical of them for not keeping ties with the Continental royals but now I think the way their schedule operates, its not set up for them to spin on a dime.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-29-2006, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
There is NO excuse for this. The BRF is the largest royal family in Europe and one of the biggest in the world. There is at least one person who could have gone.
This is also my feeling. The extended British Royal Family is huge, so not sending one single person to represent them this weekend is just out of order!

Of course there was an invitation to the Windsors as well, I think invitations has gone out to all the ruling Royal Houses, plus many Princely families and perhaps even some high nobility in Europe.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
There is NO excuse for this. The BRF is the largest royal family in Europe and one of the biggest in the world. There is at least one person who could have gone. But then again maybe the swedes didnt invite them. Still, the windsor clan is huge and there has to be at least one person. I can understand the Queen, DoE, the Walses family not going with many things going on but still there is at least one person.
The Windsors had an entire year to plan ahead. Even the young Royals could have represented their grandmother, like the Princesses of York or Princess Anne son or daugther. This was rude, very rude and inexcusable.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:11 AM

Princess Alexandra, the Kents and the Gloucesters haven't got one engagement over the period. Why couldn't one of them been sent to represent us? It's just not on and there's no excuse.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Princess Alexandra, the Kents and the Gloucesters haven't got one engagement over the period. Why couldn't one of them been sent to represent us? It's just not on and there's no excuse.
I agree BeatrixFan. There is no excuse for not sending one representative!

Are there any good Queen impersonators over there? Maybe we could all chip in some money for airfare & send one to the party??
Old 04-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
I agree BeatrixFan. There is no excuse for not sending one representative!

Are there any good Queen impersonators over there? Maybe we could all chip in some money for airfare & send one to the party??
Like that famous lady who appears in so many movies at TV shows impersonating the Queen. Or maybe Australia's Dame Edna herself, she is still a loyal subject of the Crown.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
Like that famous lady who appears in so many movies at TV shows impersonating the Queen. Or maybe Australia's Dame Edna herself, she is still a loyal subject of the Crown.
Well done Toledo!! Dame Edna would be perfect. Of course, no one is going to mistake him/her for the Queen, but he/she would add a whole lot of life to the party, so no one would care!
Old 04-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Courtier

Princess Anne's children aren't royal and won't be sent on formal representations. Beatrice and Eugenie won't be going anywhere before they turn 18. William and Harry are doing military training. The young royals were all unavailable.

Anne and Andrew don't usually do foreign events. Edward and Sophie would have been the most logical choice, but they have things scheduled.

Alexandra, the Duke of Kent, and the Gloucesters seem to have declined, though the Gloucesters seem close to the Danes. The Michaels won't be sent (and have enough on their plate right now anyways).

Some of this is simply due to the Swedish court's refusal to finalise arrangements until the last minute. I remember that even as late as January they refused to discuss events. If the Swedes had announced last October (British calendars are framed in May and November, IIRC, with more events filled in as the time goes on) the events, I'm sure the Wessexes would have been available.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
Some of this is simply due to the Swedish court's refusal to finalise arrangements until the last minute. I remember that even as late as January they refused to discuss events. If the Swedes had announced last October (British calendars are framed in May and November, IIRC, with more events filled in as the time goes on) the events, I'm sure the Wessexes would have been available.
It is no secret that the King of Sweden's bithday occurs on 30 April every year, it is his birthday and has been since the day he came to the world, and will continue to be (he has no second official birthday like QEII) throughout his life.

With this in mind, all of the Royal Families of Europe should've been able to schedule their royal/s for attendance at least on his birthday, without the further celebrations beeing set until in recent months...
Old 04-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well earlier this year, Anne went to Poland and Andrew went to Hong Kong so I don't think they have a rule on not doing foreign events. But these events were planned out way in the past.

As I said above, I think its a combination of the BRF's habit of booking their schedule incredibly far in advance and the late notice of this event. People knew when the King's birthday was but they didn't know what he was going to do when. Plus I think there's a lot of monarch birthday celebrations going on at the end of April, first Margrethe's, then Elizabeth, and now Carl Gustaf.

Other royal families don't seem to book their calendars full like the BRF or do everything so far in advance so they had more leeway to make adjustments. But even they can't adjust all the time. Frederik campaigned hard to get a sailing competition underway that fell right during the festivities.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Was it that the Swedish court didn't finalize events until the last minute, or that the details weren't publicized until the last minute?

From what I've read, the plans for the King's birthday are pretty lavish. I can't imagine that the Swedish court only finalized what they were going to do last month or ordered everything that was needed (eg. food, extra help, decorations, etc.) last month either.

I think had someone from the British court called the Swedish court -- or if the Swedish court had called the various royal courts -- and inquired about plans, the Swedish court could've easily said "The celebrations are scheduled for these dates if you would like to include a representative from your royal family, and ensure that their schedule is clear at that time. Details will be sent."

And birthdays, unlike weddings, happen each year. So I don't think it was unreasonable to anticipate that with such a milestone birthday the Swedish King wouldn't do anything to mark it with his friends.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

If the Queen had wanted to send someone to the birthday celebrations, it shouldn't have been impossible. If she'd requested that the Gloucesters, Princess Alexandra, or the Duke of Kent show up there, I don't think they'd all have declined. It's much more likely that she didn't ask them.

The Queen seems much more focussed on the Commonwealth than on Europe. I wonder if this will continue in the next reign.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
The Queen seems much more focussed on the Commonwealth than on Europe. I wonder if this will continue in the next reign.
Charles has represented the Queen on hundreds of occasions over the years, so I think he's mixed and mingled with his European counterparts quite a fair bit. We saw the Haakon and Mette-Marit and Constantijn and Laurentien at his wedding to Camilla, which was not a grand state wedding and didn't require that someone from all of the monarchies be represented.

I think that Charles will be Commonwealth focused, but will find a way to include his European counterparts in his reign as well. I hope, anways.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:40 PM

All I can say is that I wouldn't blame any of the European Royals for saying "Up Yours" when the next invitation from the Windsors comes their way. In their position I'd be very tempted to. 6 weeks, 6 months or 6 weeks, the Royal Household are well aware of the Royal birthdays and not to send someone, even the Kents, is just a little churlish IMO.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Nobility

I guess they'll get such an opportunity when her 80th national celebration comes around this summer. I get the sense that the Queen's public or foreign officials is always tied to her work and I rarely see much social mingling b/w the BRF and other European household (with the exception of King Constantine and his family who live in the UK). It would have been lovely to see Princes William and Harry hanging out with Princesses Victoria and Madeleine, but maybe next time.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Was it that the Swedish court didn't finalize events until the last minute, or that the details weren't publicized until the last minute?
The plans weren't announced to other royal families very far in advance. If they had been, surely the Wessexes, at the very least, would have been sent. I don't think the Windsors are in the habit of calling other courts and asking what their plans are -- when Diana died, it was the other courts calling London to inquire about the funeral, not London calling them.

I think there's a mistaken assumption that the Swedish and British courts are close. Charles has been criticised for his distant relationship with Carl Gustaf, and there hasn't been a state visit to or from Sweden for a long time. I don't think the families see each other outside royal events, and even then, Charles isn't known for staying for long (he was at Haakon's wedding for 4 hours).

Anne and Andrew rarely ever do foreign royal events. Anne travels abroad several times a year for the foreign office, and Andrew travels a lot with his trade ties. But you rarely see them at foreign royal events -- though Andrew is close to the Middle Eastern families and attends a lot of their events. Andrew was sent to Josephine-Charlotte's funeral because Charles didn't want to cut short his vacation, but Anne is Haakon's godmother and didn't even attend his wedding.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Charles has been criticised for his distant relationship with Carl Gustaf, and there hasn't been a state visit to or from Sweden for a long time. I don't think the families see each other outside royal events, and even then, Charles isn't known for staying for long (he was at Haakon's wedding for 4 hours).
I was trying to remember if there has been a state visit to England by the Swedish Royal Family -- can someone tell me? And I am very puzzled by the British Royal Family's lack of socializing with their European counterparts. Do they avoid these personal celebrations because they look too frivolous or cost the taxpayer too much? I wonder the same thing about the Spanish Royal Family. Even though QS, and very rarely KJC, attends these functions, the Princes of Asturias sure don't seem to be attending many of these personal functions and building relationships among their generation. It would seem building these relationships - however legally powerless monarchies have become - is prudent to fostering overall goodwill between countries.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Courtier

I know there was a visit from Carl Gustaf shortly after he became king, and EIIR went to Sweden in 1983. There haven't been any state visits to Sweden since 1983, and the British royal site doesn't appear to list state visits to the UK.

I know EIIR can't leave the country without security approval of where she's going, and she feels the need to return whenever she thinks the government's in crisis (which it is right now). I don't think that rule applies to the rest of the family, though. I don't think they avoid the events because they look expensive, though they do get some bad press for the expensive dresses, but that's always going to happen in the UK.

I think they may avoid them because they relate more to Brits rather than to other Europeans. They don't see themselves as part of royal Europe, they see themselves as Brits first and foremost, so that's who they relate to, and who they spend time with.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:15 PM

The Government isn't in crisis so I don't think that's a reason. But nobody is saying HM had to go - she could have sent anyone. Whether the Royal Family wants to show itself as Brits or not, they are family and it's time our lot started to make more of an effort abroad. I'm sorry but I just can't see any excuse - monarchs from bigger nations have made the effort.

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii