The Windsors and Europe

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Krauts? If they are foreigneners, then as I see it they're mostly Dane.

Talking of 'krauts', a german royal recently died and on the 5th of May there was a memorial service for the late Prince Georg-Wilhelm of Hannover, brother-in-law to the Duke of Edinburgh (he was married to Princess Sophie of Greece & Denmark). The Queen of Spain, King Constantine II, Ernst-August and Caroline of Hannover, the Markgrave and Markgravine of Baden (among others) attended their uncles service, but again...no Windsors.

Last edited:
I'm amazed that the word 'kraut' has been used so many times. If Angela Merkel (Angular Mirkin) reads these forums then we're for it.

As long as we're just reporting what's been verified about things other people have said and not lapsing into that sort of insulting slang ourselves, that's fine by the board admins. Angela Merkel will just have to put up with it.

Marengo said:
Talking of 'krauts', a german royal recently died and on the 5th of May there was a memorial service for the late Prince Georg-Wilhelm of Hannover, brother-in-law to the Duke of Edinburgh (he was married to Princess Sophie of Greece & Denmark). The Queen of Spain, King Constantine II, Ernst-August and Caroline of Hannover, the Markgrave and Markgravine of Baden (among others) attended their uncles service, but again...no Windsors.
When Sophie died, Philip was asked not to attend because the family didn't want to deal with the press. This may be the same situation here whereby the Windsors skipped because the family asked them not to.

And I doubt the Queen would enjoy attending a do where Ernst August of Hanover was present.

Well, the Margrave of Baden was sent to the service as the Windsors' representative, so I think age and a lack of familial closeness (Philip's German cousins led to a lot of criticism about the family's Germanic background so some distance was placed between the Windsors and the German cousins) may have also played a part in his non-attendance.

BeatrixFan said:
And I doubt the Queen would enjoy attending a do where Ernst August of Hanover was present.

The Queen wouldn't attend anyhow.lol.

"MII"

For me calling the Windsors "krauts" is not funny as they are no Germans. To denounce them as such means to ignore a very fundamental thing in the British monarchy: the right of female inheritance. Thus it is not a nationalistic remark, but a anti-female onel.

Only because the line of inheritance went via Elizabeth Stuart and her daughter Sophie and then via Victoria and all threee ladies were married to Germans does not make the family German. When the British parliament decided that the descendants of the half-Briton Electress Sophia should rule, they accepted her as being as British as most other monarchs had been: Maria Stuart was the daughter of a French "de Guise"-Princess, thus James I. was only halb English, a quarter Scottish and a quarter French. He married Anne of Denmark... How "British" was Charles I. who himself married a French Princess?

So in my opinion the argument that the Windsors are "Germans" shows me an inner unfairness towards women as head of a Royal house: as if nationality could only come from the father's side. Then, alas, Prince Charles would be Greek/Danish rather then British. And who ever said that?

Personally I think it's a big shame that the BRF doesn't interact more with other European Royals and doesn't maintain close relationships.

I think the main reason for this though is because the BRF reflects a superior attitude that is prevalent in much of Britain. I think there are still a vast majority of people here who think we're better than everyone else in Europe and don't need them and it's an attitude that is reflected in the Royal Family.

However, times have changed and within the next 50years or so I can see many of the European Royals facing a tough time and feel that we'll only find ourselves more alienated if we continue with this isolationist stance.

Jo, when people feel the need to descend to gratuitous insults, there's very little point expecting them to be logical. They're just expressing a gut feeling, not trying to be accurate.

a german royal recently died and on the 5th of May there was a memorial service for the late Prince Georg-Wilhelm of Hannover, brother-in-law to the Duke of Edinburgh (he was married to Princess Sophie of Greece & Denmark).

However last year in March Philip did make a private visit to Germany along with Edward and Sophie and Earl Mountbatten's grandson and his wife Lord and Lady Romsey for Prince Georg's 90th birthday celebrations. Although it was a private visit it made news as it was just before C & C's wedding so the headlines were 'will Philip make it back in time or miss his son's wedding' Edward and Sophie had come back earlier Philip stayed on.

When Sophie died, Philip was asked not to attend because the family didn't want to deal with the press.

Philip may not have attended his sister's funeral, but he did attend her memorial service. There are pictures of him at the service.

The Queen did attend a gala where Ernst August was present, it was during her state trip to Germany in 2003 or 2004. Again there are photos, Caroline was wearing one of the Hanover tiaras.

Charlotte1 said:
The Queen did attend a gala where Ernst August was present, it was during her state trip to Germany in 2003 or 2004. Again there are photos.
Here's one.
courtesy Isifa/Rex

Hanovers & Windsors

087ca8bf.jpg

Thanks for the picture Warren.

It seems the Hanovers and Windsors were at the same events more than once as the one I was thinking of, Caroline had her hair up and was wearing a tiara.

Charlotte1 said:
The Queen did attend a gala where Ernst August was present, it was during her state trip to Germany in 2003 or 2004. Again there are photos, Caroline was wearing one of the Hanover tiaras.

Some on here, would have everyone believe they never attend any event or even leave the UK. :D :D

Skydragon said:
Some on here, would have everyone believe they never attend any event or even leave the UK. :D :D

And other members write notes here in a way one almost could think about racism and not about relations around the BRF and EU. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hmmm, I think the word racism is a tad strong.

Karisma said:
And other members write notes here in a way one almost could think about racism and not about relations around the BRF and EU. :rolleyes:

Really, I didn't read that meaning in any of your posts, or take offence. I just put it down to a difference in language. :rolleyes: The question was about the Windsors in Europe and I don't think racism crept into any of the posts I have read, just what people saw as valid reasons why they are not closer to other ERF's.

Last edited:
Love cooperation and difference

The debate revolved around BRF and Royals in Europe.

It´s the difference end up in an untenable situation by choosing two alternatives simultaneously or let a mix of colors in the rainbow, all between black and white, coulor up the Royal events all over the world, add splendour to a party with one's presence, and brighten up our days when we consider it´s not "either You or I" that matters. No, it´s both one thing and the other, at the same time, making the lighter sides of life glow.

Last edited:
Little_star said:
I think the main reason for this though is because the BRF reflects a superior attitude that is prevalent in much of Britain. I think there are still a vast majority of people here who think we're better than everyone else in Europe and don't need them and it's an attitude that is reflected in the Royal Family.

I don't believe the RF think they are superior to everyone else, I do think they reflect the British attitude that we do not need Europe, which of course as our RF, is only right!

I decided to read through this thread from the start and it is amazing the amount of visits the Windsors are involved in, some I had forgotten about. Add to that the private visits to the cousins that we are rarely privy to and it seems they are not as stay at home as everyone seems to think. :rolleyes:

Parliamentary democracy

Skydragon said:
I don't believe the RF think they are superior to everyone else, I do think they reflect the British attitude that we do not need Europe, which of course as our RF, is only right!

I decided to read through this thread from the start and it is amazing the amount of visits the Windsors are involved in, some I had forgotten about. Add to that the private visits to the cousins that we are rarely privy to and it seems they are not as stay at home as everyone seems to think. :rolleyes:

BRF attitude is, in actual fact, forced to be the same as parliamentary conditions and general elections. Superior or not: BRF have no effect on GB:s relations with the EU. The common Briton have that influence in their hands.

Skydragon said:
if you don't need Europe it sure is interesting that a majority of your people decided to join the EU and that no majority in your parliament since have taken action to leave.

in my honest opinion i think you should separate your personal views of the matter from the actual state of your foreign affairs.

Norwegians however, they decided, in two separate referendums 1973 and 1994, not to join the EU. they can obviously live without it.

yet the Norwegian royals keep attending events at continental royal families whereas the Windsors don't.

little_star said:
Personally I think it's a big shame that the BRF doesn't interact more with other European Royals and doesn't maintain close relationships.

However, times have changed and within the next 50years or so I can see many of the European Royals facing a tough time and feel that we'll only find ourselves more alienated if we continue with this isolationist stance.
So true. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Daneborn said:
in my honest opinion i think you should separate your personal views of the matter from the actual state of your foreign affairs.

Even the post you agreed with, confirms what I said, so perhaps it would be best to read it before agreeing with it. :rolleyes: My post said "I do think they reflect the British attitude that we do not need Europe", nothing to do with foreign affairs, just the general attitude in Britain.

This thread is supposed to be about the Windsors in Europe, not the upset caused to the common Swedes because the Queen did not attend a party. Does it matter if the Norwegians attend parties that the Windsors do not, does it matter if the government did not force the Windsors to attend the Swedes party (according to Karisma, the RF have no say in anything they say or do).

How are the Windsors seen in Europe, from the 'upset' because they didn't go, highly it would seem! :D

Last edited:
I'm closing this thread pending moderator review. It doesn't seem to be possible to keep this conversation going without it turning into a nationalistic battle.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

The EU and the British Royal Family

Today, the Prince of Wales came under fire from the United Kingdom Independance Party because he spoke to MEPs on a visit to Brussels. The UKIP delegation refused to stand up when he arrived and left and didn't applaud after his speech. We're forever hearing stories about how furthur integration would erode our Sovereignty but I thought that we could take a detailed look at just how the EU would or wouldn't affect the Royal Family, especially the Queen.

So, if the mods are agreable, let's discuss it :flowers:

Honey, I can't discuss it cuz you're "Bank Speak" is a little cloudy for me. Can you clarify it first so this Yankee can join in??

UKIP What is it and what does it do?

MEPS? Don't know.

( So when I worked for the bank I used to say: Can I get a VOE for the PAPP cuz he had a BK in '02 and the DSR and LTV are off.
Bank Speak: BK=bankruptcy, VOE=Verification of Employment, PAPP=Primary Applicant, DSR=Debt to Service Income Ratio, LTV=Loan to Value):D

:flowers:

:lol: Sorry luvvie.

UKIP = The United Kingdom Independance Party, a political party founded with an anti-EU message central to their policies.

MEPs = Member of the European Parliament. We vote for them. There are 751 representing 40 countries.

I am by no means an expert on the EU but in regards to the Queen, I am almost sure that since she is now a citizen of Europe, she, like the other Heads of States, would be still be the Head of State but would technically be subordinate to the President of the European Council and therefore he/she would take precedence over her at official functions etc. Although I could be completely wrong about it all, the whole EU Constitution issue is one that I find very confusing.

I think there generally is confusion over the Queen's position when it comes to the EU but you're right, she is a European citizen and I don't see that that threatens her position as Queen of the UK. The precedence issue is a strange one. I've always thought a Queen outranks a President. I don't think she's subordinate to the President of the European Council because it's a legislative body within an organisation. Surely he's of a similar rank as the UN Secretary General?

See this is where it gets tricky; he/she will be the president of the whole of the European Union, the Queen will technically be a citizen of the “body of Europe” that they are the head of. Am I making any sense? I don’t know how to word it to say what I want! The Queen is the Head of State of the UK but he/she will be the Head of all the States, including the UK, known as the European Union. The Queen is a citizen of the “State” he/she is the head of, so therefore he/she will take precedence over the Queen. Does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom