The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #221  
Old 02-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Back to Duke Franz of Bavaria I see. When will he be making his move to claim the British Crown, I wonder? And a TV programme?

I'd say the best argument for the legitimacy of Elizabeth II is that her antecedents were given the Crown by an Act of Parliament, expressing the Will of the People. Can't get much more legitimate than that. Unlesss you are saying a Wittelsbach Prince and a TV show have a greater legitimacy than the Parliament?
I'm sure I read in the history books that Charles Stuart was gay and died without children, in a drunken stupor in France.

Elisabeth draws the crowds in Scotland and it is only a handful of wannabe's that whisper behind her back, state normal then. Even Alex Salmond bowed to the Queen! We must not forget Sean Connery, the other staunch supporter of the 'free scotland' campaign, who lives abroad and almost fell over his own feet to accept a knighthood from a Queen he apparently despises.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 02-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
That is just not so. Apart from the fact that the Stuarts have a stronger claim to the Scottish and British thrones, there is a gentleman in Australia who has a stronger claim to the English throne than the Windsors. There was a programme about him on British t.v. last year.
I too have seen this show.

However it ignores three essential things.

1. Under English common law once a father has accepted a child as his, whether or not he is the biological father is irrelevant - the child is his.


2. Henry VII claimed the throne through 'right of conquest' thus wiping out all Plantagenets claims.


3. Parliament has an Act on its books saying that the only legitimate claimants are the descendents of the Electress Sophia of Hannover - of whom the senior claimant is Elizabeth II.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 02-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
This is from the programme in question, which had the guy from Blackadder presenting it!.

Quote:
The documentary's historian Michael Jones found documents in Rouen Cathedral he believes show that Edward IV, who ruled from 1461 to 1483, was illegitimate because when he was conceived his parents were 200 kilometres (124 miles) apart.
Well we will never know will we, after all they could both have had fast horses!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 02-25-2006, 11:10 AM
hofburg's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
I don't think those of us non British would ever understand or condone the Queen's attitude, but if her people agree with that, it's up to them to mantain that inferiority complex not our problem and think: I live in England, I really like the country but I've never follow the British royalty, to me they are a bunch of hypocrits because they think they are better than anyone else and their lives are worse than the tackiest soap opera filled with infidelities and divorces, then why are they the example for their people.
I have respect for QEII because:
1. She's an old lady and I was taught to respect my seniors
2. She's the only one in that family that can walk straight ahead without any skeletons coming out the closet
But I don't respect the somewhat obnoxious attitude she gets with other royals, commoners I would understand, but fellow monarchs? Don't think so.

I've been respectful with everyone here and I expect the same kind of respect back, don't insult me for my point of view, if you like the Windsors, I can respect your opinion but I honestly don't share it.

Thanks in advance
Very well put.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 02-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
That is just not so. Apart from the fact that the Stuarts have a stronger claim to the Scottish and British thrones, there is a gentleman in Australia who has a stronger claim to the English throne than the Windsors. There was a programme about him on British t.v. last year.
Parliament is ultimately Sovereign in the UK and the Act of Settlement awarded the Crown to the descendants of Electress Sophia. Parliament could change the succession at any time and award the Crown to whomever they wished.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 02-25-2006, 01:56 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Although succession to the throne has traditionally been hereditary, more often than not the political forces in a country at the time of a king's death have played a large role.

I'm reading the book, A Distant Mirror, a history about Europe in the 14th century and one of the chapters covers the succession to the French throne when all the sons of Philip the Fair died out. The one with the best claim on the French throne was Edward III of England, Philip's grandson through his mother Isabel of France who was Philip's daughter.

Edward's claim got violent opposition in France and the author stated that the French didn't want Edward because his mother had killed her husband but more importantly, the French did not want a King of England as King of France.

So they passed the Salic law which forbid inheriting the throne through the maternal line even though there had been no law like that before. Quite a few former kings had inherited the throne through their mothers but the law had the desired effect for the French because it barred an English king from the throne.

Edward III, of course, challenged this and it was the premise for the start of the Hundred Years War but in the end the Kings of England were barred from taking the French throne even though they had a better claim.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 02-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisinaki
I don't think those of us non British would ever understand
Exactly.
Quote:
"it's up to them to mantain that inferiority complex not our problem". "I've been respectful with everyone here".
I'm afraid your inferiority opinion belies your respectful comment. It's an old ploy to suggest someone else has an inferiority complex to mask your own.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 02-25-2006, 03:10 PM
crisiñaki's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Exactly.


I'm afraid your inferiority opinion belies your respectful comment. It's an old ploy to suggest someone else has an inferiority complex to mask your own.
You misunderstood my post, skydragon; I wasn't talking about the Brit inferiority complex or even the TRF member's inferiority complex but the Windsor's inferiority complex; that's why I thought I wasn't disrespecting anyone.

I told you, I live in England, I like the country, the people but not their royals.

Sorry if you feel offended in anyway, that wasn't my purpose and I think we better get back on topic here
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 02-25-2006, 03:17 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Let's quit talking about each other's inferiority complex, shall we, and get back to topic.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 02-25-2006, 03:24 PM
crisiñaki's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,800
To me it seems like the Windsor who's closest to the other Royals is Edward and by extension Sophie, it may have to be because they are close in age with many of the other princes and princesses in Europe, if you notice, they go to almost every act (weddings specially) hosted in other countries.

You'd never see the princess royal or the Duke of York in those things
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 02-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
To me it seems like the Windsor who's closest to the other Royals is Edward and by extension Sophie, it may have to be because they are close in age with many of the other princes and princesses in Europe, if you notice, they go to almost every act (weddings specially) hosted in other countries.

You'd never see the princess royal or the Duke of York in those things
As you say, it's because they are that much younger. You tend to be comfortable with a similar age group.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 02-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Let's quit talking about each other's inferiority complex, shall we, and get back to topic.
Sorry Ysbel:) :)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 02-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
...but in the end the Kings of England were barred from taking the French throne even though they had a better claim.
So surely the Stuart legitimists should be claiming the Crown of France as well? :)
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 02-25-2006, 11:46 PM
crisiñaki's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
So surely the Stuart legitimists should be claiming the Crown of France as well? :)
Why not? Everybody claims it: Orleans, Borbon, etc,etc,etc
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 02-26-2006, 06:24 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
So surely the Stuart legitimists should be claiming the Crown of France as well? :)
Why not, they claim everything else!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 02-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Idriel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: around, France
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
So surely the Stuart legitimists should be claiming the Crown of France as well? :)
I wouldn't recommend it. It is a volatile position with a high rate of casualties...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 02-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Well, maybe after England and Scotland have separated again, they can train their sights on the Scottish throne and give up their claim to the English one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 02-26-2006, 12:27 PM
hofburg's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, maybe after England and Scotland have separated again, they can train their sights on the Scottish throne and give up their claim to the English one.
I still remember the reports, a few years ago, that Princess Anne would become 'Anne, Queen of Scots'. I guess that initiative went down the drain
.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 02-26-2006, 12:36 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Well the British royal coat of arms had the fleur-de-lis quartered for quite a long time.

Some of my ancestors fought with Bonnie Prince Charlie but that time period is not as interesting to me as when Henry VII got rid of almost all the Plantagenets and their supporter to eliminate any threats to the throne.

His ancestry was a hodgepodge of speculation and guesswork and there were so many Plantagenets who had a better claim than he did but he systematically wiped them out once he came to the throne. I think one of the few left when he died was Margaret Pole and Henry VIII had her beheaded during the break with Rome.

Ah the politics of power. :)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 02-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, maybe after England and Scotland have separated again, they can train their sights on the Scottish throne and give up their claim to the English one.
Oh please, don't put ideas into their heads! They can't even run their own parliament, let alone the whole of Scotland. They even believe that if they separate from England, they get to keep any Army, Airforce or Navy stationed here!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events dutch royal history fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman poland pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess marilene princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:44 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]