The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Aristocracy

Yes, it's always seemed strange to me, as well. For many times, they are not only fellow heads of state, but relatives (King Olav, for example).

Old 02-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Nobility

The Queen doesn't seem all that close to the other Royal families, who seem to socialize with each other quite frequently. The British royal family has always been very aware of the factions who would like to do away with the Monarchy. Perhaps they want to remain a bit aloof from the other Royal houses whose powers have been diminished and whose members are a bit more "casual". Though she was very close to King Olav, who was also a close cousin- his mother was Maude, daughter of Edward VII.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Heir Apparent

i would agree with posts and also elspeth too

HM Queen Elizabeth II cant going to state funeral and wedding but she send her 4 kids to funeral and wedding i would understand why for her more reasons.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Aristocracy

The peculiar thing is that all the other monarchs keep on attending event such as these in the UK. Maybe, the British Monarch has always considered herself superior to her colleagues, and they've acknowledged it...
Old 02-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

well, I think as an institution the british monarchy is the most elaborate of europe, with the most traditions, prestige etc.

I do not think it is a matter of closeness/(dis)like or not. The Queens personal feelings to the person do not seem to matter in her track record of attendance: the Queen was close to King Olav V f Norway, and I think relatively close to Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg but she didn't attend their funerals. Probably it is more a matter of sticking to tradition, thus not going?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Aristocracy

I do not think that it is a matter of schedule, rather than a matter of not attending these types of ocial events abroad.
I mean, she attended both weddings of greek royal family members which took place in London in 1995 and 1998. Is that coincidence?
I don't think that was due to the fact that she's closer to the ex greek royalties than other royal families, cause she is not, neither due to her husband having been a greek royal family member; i doubt that he remembers it himself:p
Old 02-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Courtier

I think in the case of Pavlos' wedding, it was a case of proximity to the event itself that the Queen attended. I tend to think (and this is strictly my own opinion) that the Queen prefers to delegate funeral attendance to more "junior" members of the RF, and keeps to her own schedule of functions.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Okay, I'm thinking of something. Uhhhh...Does anyone think that it is due to her getting along in years? Maybe its her aging self that keeps her from these engagements????:)
Old 02-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Aristocracy

No, the queen has never really attended these things, even in her younger days. And she still has a hectic schedule travelling at home and throughout the Commonwealth, so I don't think her age has anything to do with it.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsnyder
No, the queen has never really attended these things, even in her younger days. And she still has a hectic schedule travelling at home and throughout the Commonwealth, so I don't think her age has anything to do with it.
Thanks for clearing that up then. Well, I just don't know!
Old 02-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder if the other royal houses ever feel "slighted" that the Queen doesn't attend their family's events if they attend the events of her family?

Many royals attended Charles and Diana's wedding yet the Queen didn't bother to attend any of the other Crown Princely weddings in the rest of Europe.

For some reason I find it more disappointing that she hasn't attended the funerals of some of her generation's counterparts in recent years, such as Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte or Queen Juliana. I think it's one thing not to attend weddings, which can be a long and tiring day for someone you may not know very well, but funerals are a way to honour a person's life and I think that attending those events are important.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have wondered this too. Maybe she just doesnt like these public social gatherings. She seems like the person who would keep to herself including her grief. I think its eaisier for her to just keep going on and doing what she does rather than celebrating or mourning royals of another nation. I think she prefers to do it in private. Or maybe the men in grey suits dont want her to go and she doesnt have a choice.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

The British Sovereign has traditionally not attended funerals of other heads of states, preferring to be represented by the Government or another member of the royal family. A funeral is a political event, generally speaking, which is within the realm of Parliament to represent the UK.

It's just part of the tradition of the Crown remaining above politics and mundane matters like weddings in order to preserve its prestige.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

But royals are not political so that still doesnt make sense. I would understand her not going to a royal funeral in the middle east or Tonga but in Europe where they are not political that doesnt make sense to me.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg
The peculiar thing is that all the other monarchs keep on attending event such as these in the UK. Maybe, the British Monarch has always considered herself superior to her colleagues, and they've acknowledged it...
Not really. It's like the Pope. He never attends funerals either as Head of the Roman Catholic Church and Supreme Pontiff of the Western Church. The Queen is both a secular and spiritual symbol of the UK and must retain her own counsel on the use of the Crown.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Nobility

I sincerely doubt that it's a case of Her Majesty 'bothering' to attend such events. It would most definately be a decision as opposed to a whim. Now being the most senior of European Monarchs, personal modesty seems a very real factor in this decision. Whether justified or not, the discomfort which may be caused for Her Majesty by detracting attention from the purpose of the occasion, would be quite potent.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
The British Sovereign has traditionally not attended funerals of other heads of states, preferring to be represented by the Government or another member of the royal family. A funeral is a political event, generally speaking, which is within the realm of Parliament to represent the UK.

It's just part of the tradition of the Crown remaining above politics and mundane matters like weddings in order to preserve its prestige.
Yes, but does that mean that weddings are not political events? I thought it was the opposite, since in a wedding we have the state recognising a union of two people. There is no official reason for the state to be present in a funeral, except if it is to pay tribute to the deceased.
I would therefore expect the royals to be present in both occasions
Old 02-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Not really. It's like the Pope. He never attends funerals either as Head of the Roman Catholic Church and Supreme Pontiff of the Western Church. The Queen is both a secular and spiritual symbol of the UK and must retain her own counsel on the use of the Crown.
Not really. There's no similarity in their respective positions. The fact is, she had no 'spiritual' problem of any sort to attend the funeral of the late Belgian King and Silver wedding celebrations of Queen Juliana. The only two events abroad she has attended during her reign.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:14 AM
Administrator

This subject has been discussed extensively before, and is contained in the thread "The Windsors and Europe".

I will merge the two threads.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:40 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Schlesian
Now being the most senior of European Monarchs, personal modesty seems a very real factor in this decision. Whether justified or not, the discomfort which may be caused for Her Majesty by detracting attention from the purpose of the occasion, would be quite potent.
She has only recently become Europe's senior monarch following the death of Prince Rainier but she has always stayed away from other royal occasions much to the embarrassment of many in Britain. Someone once said that they have convinced themselves that they are superior to other royal to hide the fact that they actually have an inferiority complex because thay know that unlike the other royal families there are people who have a much stronger claim to the throne than they do.

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii