The Royal Windsor Horse Show 1: 2005-2009, 2014-2015, 2017-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to remember too that Philip was driving on private land and not out and about in rush hour traffic. He just finds it easier right now to drive to the grounds of the Royal Windsor Horse Show and remain seated in the vehicle than walking around the grounds and perhaps overdoing it.

I think it was a wise move on his part. :D

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of him and adore him and love seing him doing so well but IMO a soon to be 97 old should NOT be driving anymore, public ground or not. Especially on such an occasion, when the place is crowded.

Call it discrimination or whatever you want it. It's my opinion. There were people, there were children, there were animals. I havent been there but I imagine it as crowded as a village and not as empty as two or three empty roads on the estate where he's normally driving.
(oh and before someone shouts out if children are not people... I wanted to make a difference between grown ups and little ones)
I can't imagine him being able to walk without at least a stick after such a surgery and if someone, the DoE or not, can't walk without a stick or any other walking help, he/she should not drive anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of him and adore him and love seing him doing so well but IMO a soon to be 97 old should NOT be driving anymore, public ground or not. Especially on such an occasion, when the place is crowded.

Call it discrimination or whatever you want it. It's my opinion. There were people, there were children, there were animals. I havent been there but I imagine it as crowded as a village and not as empty as two or three empty roads on the estate where he's normally driving.
(oh and before someone shouts out if children are not people... I wanted to make a difference between grown ups and little ones)
I can't imagine him being able to walk without at least a stick after such a surgery and if someone, the DoE or not, can't walk without a stick or any other walking help, he/she should not drive anyway.

:ermm::ermm::ermm::eek: You've got some horribly strict guidelines you wish to be followed. Especially when you see people suffering paralysis able to drive. My own 98 year old great grandmother drove until she passed, remarkably well actually. And I'd hate to be the one to tell her that simply because she made use of a cane in later years, she could no longer operate her car. Do you feel the same for people who use crutches when they've injured their ankle temporarily?

Back to topic though, I imagine all family in attendance were quite proud to see Louise shining. She really is growing to be a very poised young woman, I look forward to seeing more of her in coming years. She seems to have good relationship with The Cambridge's.

Glad to see Philip out and about. Gives good hope for next weekend :flowers:

Love seeing Louise driving the carriage with her mum. Sophie sure looked proud. Loved her taking the photo, like any proud mum.

But I think there was likely one even more proud. Philip was probably beaming in pride watching his granddaughter drive the carriage. Anne and now Zara love horses, but it is Louise he can share his passion for carriage driving with.

Princess Michael looked quite chic. Love her hat.

The queen really does enjoy horses. No missing the fantastic time she had.

As long as Philip is physically able to drive safely I think it's fine. He's on private land and not a public road so he seems to be driving in a safe environment (yes, there are members of the public, but it's not like he's driving on a motorway or anything - with that I would have my concerns). I can imagine that his doctors have advised him on driving and clearly Philip is deemed as safe to drive.

That aside; everyone seemed to be very happy today! It was wonderful to see Louise riding the carriage again; and the photo of Sophie snapping away at her daughter is so lovely to see. I wonder if Princess Michael was capturing the same moment (also noticed the 'M' above the crown on Princess Michael's phone case which I thought was a fun addition).

Any time a person of any age drives horses there is inherent risk, many riders in their prime have fallen. All the people attending know this and just like a NASCAR fan, they'll take their chances for the love of the sport. I think it's extremely unfair to judge someone on their age alone, I hope no one ever has to face that kind of treatment, how dehumanizing!

On a brighter note, HM looks absolutely splendid as usual. And I can't get over how Louise has grown, she looked very nice in her riding gear. To think some day we'll be talking about her wedding. ?

I love HM's jacket, and I have almost the same from another designer in the same style and color and quilted yet the star of the show for me was Lady Louise, she looked so grown up and just marvelous in her outfit today. I want that top hat of hers, where can I find it.......that to me is a gorgeous hat of all I have seen in a long time......with her coloring it looked perfect on her. Quite a pretty young lady she is becoming....

My [horse mad] sister was at The Royal Windsor show the other day..

Attachments

• soapy.jpg
    soapy.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Your horse mad sister is beyond lucky! Did she go to Badminton too?

LaRae

Too neat! It seemed to go pretty well this year, no horses put down and no rider in the hospital. Kentucky 3 Day was about the same. I watched that one online. Unfortunately couldn't watch Badminton live due to how they did the livestream.

LaRae

The royal family used to come out in full force for Badminton. One can look up the old pictures of them attending many years ago.

Yes ...back when Anne was eventing they even went to Canada (I believe it was) to watch her, all of them.

LaRae

Yes ...back when Anne was eventing they even went to Canada (I believe it was) to watch her, all of them.

LaRae

They were regular and faithful attenders at Badminton even before Anne began competing (Getty has a great library of photos) . I think it was because of their close friendship with the old Duke (the 10th). When the present Duke's father inherited there didn't seem to be as much of a friendship and attendance seemed to wane.

I used to watch Badminton faithfully as a child - always dreamed I would get to ride there. Now, in my older and decrepit state it just looks frightening. I'll take my weekly dressage lessons over those jumps any day.

They were regular and faithful attenders at Badminton even before Anne began competing (Getty has a great library of photos) . I think it was because of their close friendship with the old Duke (the 10th). When the present Duke's father inherited there didn't seem to be as much of a friendship and attendance seemed to wane.

I used to watch Badminton faithfully as a child - always dreamed I would get to ride there. Now, in my older and decrepit state it just looks frightening. I'll take my weekly dressage lessons over those jumps any day.
It is indeed scary. A friend of mine watched someone fall to her death there some years ago.

Don't you find the event courses greatly changed from back when? Tricky narrow fences ....a course that takes 10 or 12 minutes to complete as opposed to the long rolling courses, solid big fences...taking an hour etc to complete?

I'm not sure the new way is better.

LaRae

The Duke of York will join the Earl and Countess of Wessex as new Vice Presidents of the Windsor Horse Show it was announced today:

** Tweet **

That’s a really nice photo.

Wonder how they were selected to do it. I’m glad they were and it’s nice that all three have been given the role and it just the Wessex’s or Andrew on his own.

Such a shame it rained. Did you notice how the different light of the day made HM's rain coat look different colours / shades of green.
At least HM wasn't going to allow the inclement weather to spoil her attendance at something she really enjoys.

That was my first thought too, Tarlita. Nothing will stop HM from enjoying the Windsor Horse Show. Now that's dedication to a lifelong passion. :D

Rain or shine, this couple always makes an effort for the Windsor Horse Show! Nice to see HM and Philip enjoying what they do best.

Rain or shine, this couple always makes an effort for the Windsor Horse Show! Nice to see HM and Philip enjoying what they do best.
I don’t think Philip was there today - @ least I haven’t seen any photos of him present.

:previous: Thanks iceflower. Congrats to Louise for coming third! She looked very proud of herself as she crossed the finishing line and loved seeing Sophie photograph her, looking just like any other mother watching their child compete. I also noticed that she has braces in some of the larger photos from the Daily Fail.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom