The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-19-2014, 06:22 AM
Aristocracy

All of this new stuff makes me wonder if the queen was sick would she ever even say anything.

I know that some people when they are sick they won't tell people they are because they don't peoples pity. I wonder if the queen would be like that IF she was sick...

I wouldn't be surprised if she was like that though. All of these changes just made me curious about that.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Heir Apparent

As several media pointed out: "This reshuffle is the last step for P. Charles to kingship".

Old 01-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

As Charles has been one heart-beat away from being King since 6th February 1952 I don't see how he can get any closer than he has been since then. Re-organising staff etc doesn't make him any closer at all.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Serene Highness

I guess this just highlights a greater acceptance of the fact that Charles' time as King is getting closer and closer.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

More of a Prince Regent role that Charles is taking on.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisuzieii View Post
All of this new stuff makes me wonder if the queen was sick would she ever even say anything...
Maybe ...
or maybe she simply wants to enjoy as much time with her husband as possible rather than being busy. Remember the trouble he had during the last years?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
More of a Prince Regent role that Charles is taking on.
Not really as he isn't taking over the official side of the monarch and that is what the Prince Regent would do.

Just taking over ceremonial duties, or carrying out more of the mind-numbing visits to places isn't doing the job of monarch. Only the Queen or a Regent can do that and that isn't what is happening from what I can see - no medical diagnosis to say that The Queen isn't capable either mentally or physically of carrying out her official duties (meaning the ones where she signs legislation, prorogues parliament, declares war etc) so not a Prince Regent situation at all - just a younger person taking on same of the public garbage side of the position.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:23 PM
Serene Highness

Looks as if the palace PR machine have been working overtime to address the idea that the Queen is slowing down:
Charles to become the new face of the royals: Prince of Wales to take on more public duties as he prepares for life as King | Mail Online

Longest heir apparent will take on foreign tours and investitures
Also meeting with Prime Minister and working through red box documents
Palace insists monarch is far from retiring and works behind the scenes

nice headlines but the article then goes on to say:

According to one senior palace source, her diary for the next 12 months is busier than her Diamond Jubilee year of 2012.
They also dismissed claims that a planned trip to mark the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy in June will be the sovereign’s final overseas engagement.
The Mail has learnt that there are in fact plans for a second foreign visit later this year, although it is likely to be a short-haul trip.
The movement of Charles to a more central role will allow the Queen to concentrate on her equally important ‘backroom’ role as head of state – including hosting foreign ambassadors and state visits, meetings with the Prime Minister and ploughing through the red boxes of official papers that need her attention every day.

In other words, the Queen is going to carry on being Head of State while Charles does some of the high profile, high intensity overseas work.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:36 AM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Household, Courtiers, Advisers and Attendants

The Mail article doesn't say anything about Charles meeting with the PM and doing the red boxes. It is just foreign tours and investitures. Both things that Charles has been doing for a while now. Plus Anne does investitures also and William has started doing them too.

I don't see the Queen and Philip doing any long haul tours but they could do quick tours to European countries. For the Normandy trip, they can take the train to France.

Plus the Cambridges will be back on royal duty this year with their Australia and NZ tour plus probably another one in the fall I would suspect. Harry could also do a tour this year.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Philip went to Canada out and back in a day last year so it is even possible that the idea of no long haul trips could also be a bit of a stretch.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:23 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Maybe ...
or maybe she simply wants to enjoy as much time with her husband as possible rather than being busy. Remember the trouble he had during the last years?
Since then, Philip hasn't been getting any younger either. I also would imagine that should something happen to Philip, HM will perhaps go into a period of mourning and with Charles able to step in for her as her representative in most cases, she can take that time and feel at ease that everything is under control.

I don't see HM mourning as long as Queen Victoria did but she definitely should be able to mourn in peace for a while anyways.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didnt understand the assignment, and I told them they didnt understand life.
― John Lennon
Old 01-20-2014, 04:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen is still boss: reports that Palace reshuffle will mean Charles becomes king in all but name are wide of the mark-
The Queen is still boss: reports that Palace reshuffle will mean Charles becomes king in all but name are wide of the mark - News - London Evening Standard

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-20-2014, 05:36 PM
Serene Highness

Interesting points, I agree about the media placing too much importance on themselves, if the Private Offices of HM and Charles were merging that really would mean something!
It also suggests HM is to visit Rome as well as France, maybe making up for the Rome visit she missed last year when she was ill?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Charles Wants You to Stop Obsessing over William and Kate:
Prince Charles Wants You to Stop Obsessing over William and Kate | Vanity Fair

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-23-2014, 02:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Whoever wrote this piece for the Vanity Fair obviously ignored the initial press reports that said exactly this - that all three press offices would be joined into one.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Charles has good reason for wanting to seem more involved in the monarchs day-to-day life: the notion among some subjects that the crown should skip a generation next time, going to Prince William, now 31.
Allowed to flourish, this idea would sour the eventual succession of Charles, our longest-serving heir apparent.
For many, William and Kate are a more exciting prospect than Charles and Camilla. They come with less baggage and the promise of a longer reign.
This isnt going to happen, though. God willing, Charles will succeed his mother. But his reign would be ruined if there was a public clamour for William and Kate.
Theres less chance of this happening if he is seen to be shadowing the Queen, taking on her more gruelling engagements, his key staff merging with those of HM. Often, in the past, they have seemed at odds.

The delicacy of Charless position arises from two factors. His historically long spell as heir apparent and the dissolution of his first marriage, to Diana Spencer.
Some still believe he should be denied the throne because he married his mistress.
Those who think this feel that having to relinquish it to his elder son by Diana would be poetic justice.
PETER MCKAY: Prince Charles and a royal takeover by stealth | Mail Online
Old 01-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Why do you keep posting articles that paint Charles in a bad light and heep praise on the Cambridges? It adds little to the discussion.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Gordon Rayner ‏@gordonrayner 25m
Prince Charles's communications secretary Sally Osman confirmed as Director of Royal Communications, heading up integrated team at Buck Pal

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 4h
New unified Buckingham Palace press office will be in operation from Monday morning led by Sally Osman as Director of Royal Communications

Sally formerly headed up Prince Charles's PR team but Queen will still have her own Communications Secretary in James Roscoe.

Kristina Kyriacou will remain at Clarence House as Communications Secretary for Charles and Camilla.....

William, Kate & Harry will also have their own Communications Secretary in exBP staffer Ed Perkins but their PR operation will be run by BP

New PR operation might seem insignificant and there are certainly attempts to play it down, but trust me, it's a sign of times a changing

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Royal family hiring household assistant
Royal household hiring new household assistant - hellomagazine.com
Old 02-02-2014, 12:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Martin ‏@MartinRoyalUK 7h
Looks like the name ‘Press Secretary’ has been abolished in the Royal Household now. All are styled as ‘Communications Secretaries’.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS