The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
I'm just curious. What exactly do these women do? Are they like personal assistants or do they have other duties?
I'm curious too.
I think those are the ladies who accompany HM on her travels and receive the famous handbag signs?

Old 06-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Smurfness View Post
I see that each of the Queen's ladies has a title - I suppose de Pass is a title too?

Does Prince Phillip have men who serve him?
De Pass is Phillipa's surname.
I imagine Prince Philip's has footmen and servants, but his don't follow him on engagements.

Quote:
I think those are the ladies who accompany HM on her travels and receive the famous handbag signs?
Ladies-In-Waiting help the Queen in all aspects from collecting flowers to responding to "fan"mail.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
It seems like most of these positions at least the ones to Queen Elizabeth one would have to have a title to be considered for the position.
Having a title or noble/aristocratic background is most definitely not a pre-condition to become one of the Queen's ladies of the bedchamber. However, as I mentioned above, those ladies are usually chosen among friends and acquaintances - and most of Her Majesty's old friends come from noble background.

Quote:
I'm just curious. What exactly do these women do? Are they like personal assistants or do they have other duties?
The Queen's Ladies of the Bedchamber have various roles, from personal assistants, to essentially secretaries. At least one of them accompanies the Queen on all her tours and visits, ensuring everything goes smoothly. They also often get inited to State Dinners and similar occassions, where they are seated with foreign dignitaries.

Quote:
I see that each of the Queen's ladies has a title - I suppose de Pass is a title too? What are the equivalents for a king?
As I mentioned above, most of the Queen's ladies of the bedchamber have titles simply because Her Majesty's closest friends came from aristocratic/noble background.

De Pass is a surname, not name. Philippa de Pass is a close friend of Queen Elizabeth, while her husband, Robert de Pass was a close friend of Prince Philip's (he died in 2002). Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales were close friends with Philip de Pass (Philippa and Robert's son). Philippa de Pass is the daughter of Major Robert Cobbold and Patricia Gibson Watt. The de Pass family actually played a pretty important role in the early romance of Prince Charles and Diana. During a party at their house Diana was seated next to Charles; they talked and apparently liked each other, and soon afterwards, the Prince ask her on date.

Quote:
Does Prince Philip have men who serve him?
Prince Philip has a Private Secretary (currently, Brigadier Archie Miller-Bakewell), an equerry (which is basically male equivalent of lady-in-waiting), as well as two temporary equerries.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Serene Highness

That would make sense. Thank you for the information.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Queen launches search for 50,000-a-year manager to oversee her 1.8m hospitality budget | Mail Online
Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Having a title or noble/aristocratic background is most definitely not a pre-condition to become one of the Queen's ladies of the bedchamber. However, as I mentioned above, those ladies are usually chosen among friends and acquaintances - and most of Her Majesty's old friends come from noble background.

Prince Philip has a Private Secretary (currently, Brigadier Archie Miller-Bakewell), an equerry (which is basically male equivalent of lady-in-waiting), as well as two temporary equerries.
So, if aristocratic blood is not a prerequisite does that mean in future the Duchess of Cambridge could appoint an old school-friend or something as a Lady-in-Waiting?

Also, if an Equerry is basically a male lady-in-waiting, why does the Queen have one?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
So, if aristocratic blood is not a prerequisite does that mean in future the Duchess of Cambridge could appoint an old school-friend or something as a Lady-in-Waiting?
Catherine can appoint an old school friend, I think it was rumoured her sister was in the 'running'. It just happens that HM's friends come from an aristocratic background.

Quote:
Also, if an Equerry is basically a male lady-in-waiting, why does the Queen have one?
The Queen is special? I think it has to do with HM needing the staff to help her with everything she has to do.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The Queen is special? I think it has to do with HM needing the staff to help her with everything she has to do.
Apparently the Equerry does a lot of the behind the scenes work for engagements as well (http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHous...Equerries.aspx). I can remember when I saw the Queen all the bouquets of flowers were quickly sent in the direction of a slightly overwhelmed RAN officer who was Equerry on this particular tour via the Lady-in-Waiting and I think he had probably never seen so many flowers in his life!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Most definitely. For example, Sophie's lady-in-waiting is her old friend Sara Sienesi, with whom she shared a flat before marrying Prince Edward.

Quote:
If Her Majesty requires a male assistant for certain duties, she can't force the poor bloke to be known as "lady"-in-waiting, can she?

Strictly speaking, the male equivalent of lady-in-waiting is actually lord-in-waiting; it's a very rarely used but actual title. For example, David, 15th Earl of Westmorland was lord-in-waiting to Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, while Francis Knollys, 1st Viscount Knollys was lord-in-waiting to Queen Mary.
Aide-de-camp or Equerry is simply close in meaning and responsibilities - a personal attendant to a senior (usually, male) royal.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Aide-de-camp or Equerry is simply close in meaning and responsibilities - a personal attendant to a senior (usually, male) royal.

I don't think so considering that some of HM's aides-de-camp are HRH The Prince of Wales, HRH The Duke of York HRH The Earl of Wessex, HRH The Duke of Kent along with Capt. Mark Philips and Commander Timother Laurence. Aide-de-camp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Normally an aide-de-camp is an assistant to a high ranking military officer but in the case of the Queen a number are the appointments listed above - all current.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Queen bids farewell to the trusted aides who can't keep up with her | Royal | News | Daily Express

Her Majesty, 88 in April, is gradually paring down her staff as retirement, illness and death take their toll.

Among the latest of her aides to *retire is Nancy Fenwick, who has looked after the Queen’s corgis for decades.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Article from the Telegraph on the merging of Public relations teams across the whole of the Royal Family.

ww.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-charles/10580812/Merger-of-Palace-staff-is-latest-step-on-Prince-of-Waless-journey-to-kingship.html

LEt me know if any have problems reading this and I'll do a synopsis

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Courtier

I think its a good idea for all 3 Press Offices to be based in the same place and to work more closely together but I'm a little surprised that a member of Charles' staff will head the office, maybe appointing someone from outside would have been better so the person in overall charge has no previous alliance to one particular member of the family.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Courtier

I am not Charles is the next King. The Palace is preparing for the next reign.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Article from the Telegraph on the merging of Public relations teams across the whole of the Royal Family.

ww.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-charles/10580812/Merger-of-Palace-staff-is-latest-step-on-Prince-of-Waless-journey-to-kingship.html

LEt me know if any have problems reading this and I'll do a synopsis
OK - both this and the article about the dwindling of the Queen's staff are fascinating.
I also have thought through the age of my pets and planned the point at which I will stop adding to the mix, because I know others may not want to pick up where I have left off (so to speak).

Regarding the PR folk - I think this is wonderful and I frankly think this may have been telegraphed by some of the irregularities we have seen lately from the various PR offices. There will be bumps in the road. My first thought was that Prince Andrew would simply continue to not comply. Issues there - deep issues.
Anyway - it's another window into what's going on with the family.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 01-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think its a good idea for all 3 Press Offices to be based in the same place and to work more closely together but I'm a little surprised that a member of Charles' staff will head the office, maybe appointing someone from outside would have been better so the person in overall charge has no previous alliance to one particular member of the family.
I believe that the Queen's head of PR has retired, and the new Head has not been announced, although there has been speculation. Sensible not to put a new PR regime into BP considering the increase in Charles' role.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Serene Highness

Alissa Anderson the Queen's former press secretary didn't retire but left BP to be the press secretary to the Archbishop of Canterbury.

It makes sense to coordinate BP, CH and KP press from one central office.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Skippyboo - I'd lost sight of that.

I think this a good idea because Clarence House PR is very good. I think at KP it needs to be improved. The press release for Harry's move to Household Cavalry HQ was thin to say the least, therefore leaves more open to speculation.

Some might not like it as AdmirerUS said but it isn't going to be a favourite son getting round his mother anymore.

Just thought - maybe all this is why the CC isn't up to date on line

Old 01-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Courtier

It was actually with Andrew in mind that I made my point about maybe it would have been better finding someone from outside any of the Households to head a new royal family press office. I agree with the principal of joining all 3 households PR together, we've seen how much they differ in the way they work. I was just thinking out loud that somebody new at the head wouldn't be seen so much as Charles and his staff coming in and taking over but rather that there was just more co-operation in their working. I think its a good thing.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
It was actually with Andrew in mind that I made my point about maybe it would have been better finding someone from outside any of the Households to head a new royal family press office. I agree with the principal of joining all 3 households PR together, we've seen how much they differ in the way they work. I was just thinking out loud that somebody new at the head wouldn't be seen so much as Charles and his staff coming in and taking over but rather that there was just more co-operation in their working. I think its a good thing.

While I understand what you're saying here and would agree with it if we were considering a more "normal" family, I think it's important to remember that Charles is the heir and he - not Andrew - will one day be the head of the family. Charles' team leading this seems like it's more of a step towards putting Charles in charge so that the inevitable transfer of power is smoother.