The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Nobility

I don't think the ladies-in-waiting could ever be called servants or personal maids. They are usually women of high social rank who accompany the princess to events. Sort of like a companion or a chaperone. I think they probably do it for fun, or to be an insider. I don't think too many of them need the perks.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:48 PM

True. And I mean, it's a job like no other. World wide travel, exclusive access to the nation's palaces, close contact with the Royal Family, meeting celebrities and foreign heads of state. I'll do it if no one else wants to.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Majesty

Pre-Doc,

I am hoping that you are aware that there are maids/servants who do the work that is paid for - like putting out the dresses and cleaning their rooms etc. Burrell was a servant so he got paid by the late POW.

The ladies-in-waiting are definitely ladies who don't need remuneration for doing a bit of visiting with the HRH concerned. Their job is more to assist when the HRH is out in public. They have traditionally been seen as honours for the family of the lady concerned and aristocratic families have always seem having a member of the family in that role as an honour.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've just deleted a large number of posts about ladies in waiting in other countries. Discussions in this forum should be focussed on the British royals; anyone wanting to discuss a comparison of ladies in waiting in different countries is welcome to do so in the Royal Chit Chat forum.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator
Old 05-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Aristocracy

I know that the Ladies-in-Waiting are the ones who reply the letters sent to the Queen from the Public. She signs them at the bottom. I have one that is signed Lady Susan Hussey
Old 05-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1972
Burkes' Peerage lists I think 11 ladies in waiting to the Princess Royal. I'm sure she doesn't use all of them. Some must be temporary, here is the link if anyone wants to check it out. Another piece of interesting info is that 2 of her ladies in waiting are godmothers to her children. Which I thought was interesting.

Here's the link:http://www.burkes-peerage.net/sites/...es/page31c.asp

It says the Royal Household in Scotland so I would assume that some are just used when HRH is in Scotland. Hope the link works.
It must be out of date, as we all know Bolland is no longer with Prince Charles!
Old 05-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

It doesn't give you their names but, this tells you that the royal ladies choose their own Ladies in Waiting, who are I believe paid a clothing allowance and expenses.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Courtier

Some of Anne's ladies-in-waiting have real jobs, too. So I think they work for her for a brief period at a time, like they have a rota system, rather than all of them working for her at the same time as their full-time employment, like EIIR's do.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Majesty

I have read somewhere that the Queen's L-I-W serve a six month rota.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

We see them at events when they walk with the queen, and hold her flowers. I always thought they were like the queen or princesse's girlfriends. That they hung out watching TV, eating and gossiping together.

So how do they choose the LIW?

Old 05-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

They usually are their friends. It used to be that Ladys in Waiting were the only women that could be your friends but now its the other way and most royals choose freinds as Lady in Waitings.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

so they are like lifelong bridesmaids?

Old 05-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Mistress of the Robes, who is in charge of all the ladies in waiting to The Queen or Queen Consort, is always a Duchess. The Duchess of Grafton has been Mistress of the Robes to The Queen since 1967.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

was she a duchess first or after she was chosen as a Lady in Waiting. Because what if William marries a girl who doesn't know any duchesses or regel women...can they choose anyone they want or do they have to choose from a list of duchesses?

Old 05-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
I have read somewhere that the Queen's L-I-W serve a six month rota.
Lady Susan Hussey is practically always with EIIR, though. Some of the Queen's appear to travel mainly on foreign trips, but Lady Susan and her husband live in London just so they can be close to BP.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
was she a duchess first or after she was chosen as a Lady in Waiting. Because what if William marries a girl who doesn't know any duchesses or regel women...can they choose anyone they want or do they have to choose from a list of duchesses?
The Duchess of Grafton is Mistress of the Robes, which is a higher level of lady in waiting. To be appointed as MoR, she had to have been a duchess already. There's nothing regal about the Mistress of the Robes -- she's married to a noble, but that doesn't make her regal (that's usually reserved for royals only). Just moving in the circles the Windsors move in will mean that William's wife will get to know and befriend duchesses. The Mistress of the Robes has to be a duchess, and by the time William is king, whoever his wife is will have had plenty of time to befriend at least one.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

yeah I suppose so. I just think the girl may be put off, by all of the duchess throwing themselves at her.

Old 05-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
They usually are their friends. It used to be that Ladys in Waiting were the only women that could be your friends but now its the other way and most royals choose freinds as Lady in Waitings.
Diana's main LiW, Carolyn Beckwith-Smith, was selected for her, and wasn't a friend at all in the beginning. She was selected because she was expected to guide Diana in her early days as Princess of Wales. Sarah's was a friend, who died of cancer a while ago. Sophie's seems to be a friend. Margaret selected one (the Countess Alexander of Tunis) because she was young, unmarried, and could travel with her.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Nobility

Princess Michael's L-I-W is Lady Emma Kitchener-Fellowes daughter of the 3rd Earl Kitchener and great great neice of the 1st Earl, he of the famous "Your Country Needs You" posters in Britain during World War One. Her Grandfather, the 2nd Earl, was Page of Honour to George VI at his Coranation in 1937. She is married to Julian Fellowes the actor, author and Oscar winning screenwriter of the film "Gossford Park". In addition to Gosford Park, Fellowes wrote the screenplay for Vanity Fair and the script for the new London musical "Mary Poppins." One of his acting roles was as the Minister for Defence in the Bond film "Tomorrow Never Dies".

Below is a picture of Emma standing behind Princess Michael at a function and one of her and her husband the night he won his Oscar.

http://pro.corbis.com/images/0000313...-8626dce75668}

http://pro.corbis.com/images/DWF15-2...-b160c63e84aa}

P.S. In the picture with Princess Michael Emma is wearing an order of some sort which I have also noticed other ladies-in-waiting wearing, primarily at evening functions. It seems to resemble the Royal Family Order and comprises of a pale blue silk ribbon and a diamond crest of some sort. I would love to know more about it if anyone has some info.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Courtier

Emma's not the daughter of Lord Kitchener. She's the great-great niece of the 1st Earl.

"The additional surname Kitchener was adopted by Julian when he married Emma Joy Kitchener, only child of the late Hon. Charles Kitchener, great niece of Earl Kitchener of Khartoum and the last of the Kitchener line. Just under a century earlier, Julian's great-uncle, Lord Sydenham of Coombe, was Governor of Bombay and a strong supporter of Kitchener against the then Viceroy, Lord Curzon, but that's another story..."