The Royal Household, Courtiers, Advisers and Attendants 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOY!

Gentry
City
Columbus
Country
United States
Does anyone have any info on the ladies in waiting for the BRF?
like for Queen Elizabeth or Camilla?
(sorry if this has already been posted)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
In my knowledge Camilla hasn`t a Lady in Waiting.

She's got 2 now but I'm not sure of their names. The Queen has 5, Princess Anne has 3, the Duchess of Kent no longer uses them, Princess Michael has 1 and Princess Alexandra has 2.

I have always thought Camilla had two secretarys that have been with her since before she was married but I never thought they were actuall Lady in Waitings.

Pardon myignorance, but what do Lady in Waiting do?

According to Brian Hoey, Camilla's secs double as L-i-W even though one of them is a Miss.

In reality it doesn't matter if they are a miss, lady, countess, duchess or whatever its just someone thst knows protocol and does the job well. Plus one of Princess Diana's lady in waiting was a miss.

True. One of the Queen's is a Miss. I just stated that she was a Miss in case people thought Miss's could be L-i-W.

Does Sophie have a lady in waiting? Certainly if Princess Michael has one then the Countess of Wessex must have one, too considering that her rank in the family is higher and she does more royal duties than Princess Michael.

i read Princess Diana have many of her lady-in-waiting on the websites since 1981-1997 oh my godness they says its would be eight! include her older sister.but i think Diana hires or Buckingham Palace appoint im sure.

im not sure about Sophie and Camilla have lady-in-wait since got marriages in the royals.

and how many HM Queen have lady-in-waiting?

Burkes' Peerage lists I think 11 ladies in waiting to the Princess Royal. I'm sure she doesn't use all of them. Some must be temporary, here is the link if anyone wants to check it out. Another piece of interesting info is that 2 of her ladies in waiting are godmothers to her children. Which I thought was interesting.

Here's the link:http://www.burkes-peerage.net/sites/scotland/sitepages/page31c.asp

It says the Royal Household in Scotland so I would assume that some are just used when HRH is in Scotland. Hope the link works.

Brian Hoey says in his book "At Home with the Queen" that there are about 80 L-i-W in total. All can be called at the last minutre for a trip or a visit. They all have special privelages. For example, they are entitled to a chaffeur driven car when "in term" and can, at any time, eat in the Ladies Dining Room in the Palace.

Some of the Royal Ladies use the L-i-W and some don't. It's now a matter of personal preference but all of them are appointed by the Queen. So, Princess Alexandra couldn't choose her L-i-W from scratch. She chooses from a list assigned to her by the Queen.

Princess Anne had about 11 a few years ago. Sophie has one, who doubles as a secretary. Can't remember her name, though.

BeatrixFan said:
Brian Hoey says in his book "At Home with the Queen" that there are about 80 L-i-W in total. All can be called at the last minutre for a trip or a visit. They all have special privelages. For example, they are entitled to a chaffeur driven car when "in term" and can, at any time, eat in the Ladies Dining Room in the Palace.

That's a nice tradeoff for having to act as a personal maid to some HRH, is the pay decent?

They don't get paid.

BeatrixFan said:
They don't get paid.
Yikes, but I'm sure the princesses toss them a bone every once in a while to make the job more attractive ... I guess men have it easier as aides-de-camp because presumably the military picks up their salary.

Not any more PreDoc. That was something that came out of the Paul Burrell case. No longer can they chuck 'em an unwanted gift. Anything they do recieve has to be declared and so far, nothing major has been. Before, the L-i-W were given tiaras, clocks, loose gem stones etc etc. All things given to members of the RF are stored in Buckingham Palace and now everything is carefully monitored so that no freebies are given.

You're right, the men get their military pay. It's the ladies who lose out.

I don't think the ladies-in-waiting could ever be called servants or personal maids. They are usually women of high social rank who accompany the princess to events. Sort of like a companion or a chaperone. I think they probably do it for fun, or to be an insider. I don't think too many of them need the perks.

True. And I mean, it's a job like no other. World wide travel, exclusive access to the nation's palaces, close contact with the Royal Family, meeting celebrities and foreign heads of state. I'll do it if no one else wants to.

Pre-Doc,

I am hoping that you are aware that there are maids/servants who do the work that is paid for - like putting out the dresses and cleaning their rooms etc. Burrell was a servant so he got paid by the late POW.

The ladies-in-waiting are definitely ladies who don't need remuneration for doing a bit of visiting with the HRH concerned. Their job is more to assist when the HRH is out in public. They have traditionally been seen as honours for the family of the lady concerned and aristocratic families have always seem having a member of the family in that role as an honour.

I've just deleted a large number of posts about ladies in waiting in other countries. Discussions in this forum should be focussed on the British royals; anyone wanting to discuss a comparison of ladies in waiting in different countries is welcome to do so in the Royal Chit Chat forum.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

I know that the Ladies-in-Waiting are the ones who reply the letters sent to the Queen from the Public. She signs them at the bottom. I have one that is signed Lady Susan Hussey

kelly1972 said:
Burkes' Peerage lists I think 11 ladies in waiting to the Princess Royal. I'm sure she doesn't use all of them. Some must be temporary, here is the link if anyone wants to check it out. Another piece of interesting info is that 2 of her ladies in waiting are godmothers to her children. Which I thought was interesting.

Here's the link:http://www.burkes-peerage.net/sites/scotland/sitepages/page31c.asp

It says the Royal Household in Scotland so I would assume that some are just used when HRH is in Scotland. Hope the link works.

It must be out of date, as we all know Bolland is no longer with Prince Charles! :D

It doesn't give you their names but, this tells you that the royal ladies choose their own Ladies in Waiting, who are I believe paid a clothing allowance and expenses.

Last edited:
Some of Anne's ladies-in-waiting have real jobs, too. So I think they work for her for a brief period at a time, like they have a rota system, rather than all of them working for her at the same time as their full-time employment, like EIIR's do.

I have read somewhere that the Queen's L-I-W serve a six month rota.

We see them at events when they walk with the queen, and hold her flowers. I always thought they were like the queen or princesse's girlfriends. That they hung out watching TV, eating and gossiping together.

So how do they choose the LIW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom