The Royal Foundation of Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Duke & Duchess of Sussex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a note. Charles purchased a pretty nothing house for the Duchy of Cornwall with little to recommend it.

Just a note. Charles purchased a pretty nothing house for the Duchy of Cornwall with little to recommend it.
And he made a damn fine home out of it.

Geez, people …. get over yourselves! This isn't a marital divorce. It's a logical progression of the reality between these two particular brothers. They are both the sons of a future king. One will one day become king himself. The other will be relegated to the background. Their interests would have a natural divide. They are at that point. Let it go and let's all move on!

Why will their interests divide? They are both working royals, both supporting the RF and Britain, both doing charity work and representing the monarch.

Why will their interests divide? They are both working royals, both supporting the RF and Britain, both doing charity work and representing the monarch.

“Interests” in the sense of a natural division of their future roles, not meaning that they care about different things. For example, I am sure that they will both have an ongoing interest in mental health. They will just engage from two different foundations.

Charles, Anne, Andrew, and Edward all have their own foundations, interests, and activities—- but they are also all individuals in service to the crown with only one becoming a future monarch.

I think they differ on method rather than purpose. Wills and Kate seem very much following a staid , if modernized in approach to new communication channels on social media. Appropriate for future monarch. Or how they see the non-politicization of the monarchy. They was to use the bully pulpit to support the good work that others are doing.

Harry and Meghan, I think want more freedom to act on a larger breadth of issues and possible to have more influence on policy and fundraising for issues. They may not want to be apolitical in all cases. They want to use the bully pulpit to effect change.

And I actually think it is appropriate and smart for them to part the Foundation if this is true. They want to lead organizations that CANNOT SHARE A SINGLE MISSION. They have roles that lead them to these different missions. The Cambridges have to be cheerleaders of a sort while the Sussexes have greater freedom to fight for things.

Which is vastly different from them not supporting the work the other is doing. And to benefit from the work of the others. That's something we are missing on this discussion of busting up the foundation. I think it a great idea as the cracks would soon be apparent in any case. And then exploited by the press and we all know where that leads.

And I think temperamentally, they are all suited to the directions in which they are heading. The Cambridges play within the status quo to influence it while the Sussexes are happy to rouse outside opinion to nudge the status quo. So that's a smart deployment of personalities as well. JMO.

And I think temperamentally, they are all suited to the directions in which they are heading. The Cambridges play within the status quo to influence it while the Sussexes are happy to rouse outside opinion to nudge the status quo. So that's a smart deployment of personalities as well. JMO.
:previous: Good point Admirer U.S.

well they cant "not be apolitical. " not if they're working for the RF.

Court Circular 4th June:
Kensington Palace

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Joint Patrons, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, this morning received Sir Keith Mills (Chairman) and Ms Lorraine Heggessey (Chief Executive).

The Success of Sales and Contribution of the Duchess of Sussex Cookbook, Together, through the Royal Foundation and the foundation’s funding of the new CASEVAC Club-
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...57638-grenfell/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Great initiatives.

I would love an update on the Hubb Community kitchen and what they are doing once Meghan returns from maternity leave. I believe they started delivering meals to the homeless and were providing meals to women who just had babies at maternity ward last time Meghan had a public engagement there. She also visited with Harry right before Christmas, but that wasn’t open to media. They’ve been visited by a lot of people since the book (Adele, Stella McCartney and so on). I believe Amy also visited them while Meghan was on maternity leave.

I think the BRF is well aware of Meghan's 'value'. However yes some of the media/press spend a lot of time creating negative articles.

LaRae

Last edited:
I think most of us have seen this coming. The Royal Foundation had grown by leaps and bounds since its conception in 2009 and, IMO, in order to streamline and be able to focus more in depth on the various incentives, it was time to create two different foundations geared to two different couples.

This isn't a bad thing as to me, it shows just how successful the incentives have grown to be and shows William and Harry and their spouses coming into their own going into the future.

I’m actually quite surprised at the decision, though I expected it. I really think this could have been such a huge foundation with the back of all four, with umbrella charities underneath really receiving the best publicity.

So.. twice the bureaucracy, twice the personnel, and [quite likely] half the goodwill ?

I'm afraid 'the optics' of this, and [above all] the way the press will 'spin' it' will prove to be unfortunate, both for the causes, and for the Royal couples themselves..

Last edited:
I’m actually quite surprised at the decision, though I expected it. I really think this could have been such a huge foundation with the back of all four, with umbrella charities underneath really receiving the best publicity.

I totally agree with you. It would’ve been great. Now there will be two competing foundations. That’s how the press will portray it and we know it’s the press who control the narrative.

So from reading the releases it appears that in the autumn we will get a final confirmation of the split by the announcement of the Sussex foundation and which of their initiatives will be transferring over.

I have to agree with the statements about that the one foundation backed by all four would have been the better way. Imagine that strength of that? Now we have two competing foundations in a way. And yes they can focus on different things but ultimately the attention will be split.

Oh well. They all know what is best for them.

“The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge wish to build on The Foundation’s past successes, continuing programmes such as ‘Heads Up’, the new mental health campaign delivered in partnership with the FA, ‘United for Wildlife’ which runs a global taskforce tackling the illegal wildlife trade, and ‘Mentally Healthy Schools’ which supports teachers and staff improve child mental health. They are also developing new initiatives on the environment and support for children and families which The Foundation expects to announce in the coming year.”

Looking forward to the new announcement later in the year.

Not sure why it's such a big deal. None of her HM's children are expected to keep their charitable endeavors together. The Foundation was originally only set up to support two princes with jobs. Entirely different situation here.

As for staffing. I'm sure the staffing level would've increased regardless as the work load increased. Now each can work closer with the different offices and better support each couple's initiative.

Looking forward to the announcement regarding the Sussexes' new foundation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you see the audit report? Yikes. I am so glad Meghan and Harry are setting up their own charitable foundation.

Last edited:
So from reading the releases it appears that in the autumn we will get a final confirmation of the split by the announcement of the Sussex foundation and which of their initiatives will be transferring over.

I have to agree with the statements about that the one foundation backed by all four would have been the better way. Imagine that strength of that? Now we have two competing foundations in a way. And yes they can focus on different things but ultimately the attention will be split.

Oh well. They all know what is best for them.

For me, its easier to remember that in the here and now, we're looking at two young couples that are basically at the beginning of their lifelong roles as senior working royals for the "Firm" along with each having their own areas of interests and incentives when it comes to their charitable endeavors. The Royal Foundation with the "fab four" is so appealing but then again, right now both William and Harry are seen more as the grandchildren of the monarch.

Eventually William's role is going to drastically change as he becomes the Duke of Cornwall and most likely The Prince of Wales and heir to the throne. Splitting the Royal Foundation now is in preparation for that time. The press can make of the split whatever they want to in the here and the now but, and its a big but, the monarchy in the UK looks ahead to the future and gets all its ducks in a row in preparation for changes that are to come.

This split is just normal. This is what's best for both families. I mean, William is obviously moving on to a different path than Harry.

The devil will be in the details. As with everything to do with Harry and Meghan, there’s the issue of funding and who’s footing the bill.

None of The Queen’s children have foundations aside from Charles. It really doesn’t make sense to create a new entity for the 6th in line to the throne.

It makes complete sense from the Cambridge perspective to have The Royal Foundation focusing solely on them but it’ll be interesting to see what shape the Sussexes new ‘Foundation’ takes on.

The devil will be in the details. As with everything to do with Harry and Meghan, there’s the issue of funding and who’s footing the bill.

None of The Queen’s children have foundations aside from Charles. It really doesn’t make sense to create a new entity for the 6th in line to the throne.

It makes complete sense from the Cambridge perspective to have The Royal Foundation focusing solely on them but it’ll be interesting to see what shape the Sussexes new ‘Foundation’ takes on.

IMO the expectations for Harry and Meghan are always so much higher than they are for other working royals. For the most part, HM's children work under the old system where they were expected to show up, cut ribbons and maybe say a few words and that was it. I don’t think that process will work going forward, society needs more, needs to see the investment in having a royal family.

When Charles created the Prince’s Trust it was considered outside the norm but has been very successful and impactful. I think that is the type of work that Harry and Meghan want to do, it is their passion you can see it in their actions. So I can understand why they would want to create a Foundation of their own. And in order for it to be successful, they will need to be able to have true input into it, be creative and not be ‘restricted’ by the future roles of others within the family.

I don’t get why is funding always the first concern with Harry and Meghan, when in the past year they have been some of the most impactful royals (in the UK and globally). No other royals have their projects questions like the Sussexes.

I totally agree with you. It would’ve been great. Now there will be two competing foundations. That’s how the press will portray it and we know it’s the press who control the narrative.
You are right, the media will turn itin to a' who raised more or who has the best celebs. Etc etc. Which will detract from the good work being done by all parties.

Why are some people surprised that Meghan and Harry will have their own charitable foundation? I don't get it.

You are right, the media will turn itin to a' who raised more or who has the best celebs. Etc etc. Which will detract from the good work being done by all parties.

Oh I don't doubt for a minute that the press will be pitting the two foundations against each other a la "Its A Royal Knockout" style but I don't see it actually affecting the outcome of the incentives each foundation gets behind.

If we really look at it, other than the Heads Together and the mental health aspect of the joint foundation (which all four will continue to be a part of), its basically been solo work for all four royals for the most part. I think it'll be quite hard to pit United For Wildlife campaign against the Invictus Games or the Hubb Kitchen against East Anglia Children’s Hospices (for examples). Each incentive, in and of itself, has done remarkably well and I see that continuing into the future.

The Cambridges and the Sussexes are not splitting the Foundation as a foundation where they all worked together on all the incentives, they're just streamlining the focus to the specific couples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom