The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #421  
Old 05-31-2019, 08:41 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,414
It was always going to split. Their roles are different. Their paths are different. Their differences might have sped it up -- as I do think Harry and Meghan leaving KP completely this soon was a bit of a surprise to all. But it was inevitable. It probably should have happened years ago when William married.
__________________

  #422  
Old 05-31-2019, 08:43 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I hear your point about diverging roles going forward, but what is upsetting is that this is clearly being driven by a relationship between the 4 that is not what it used to be. If it was always intended to split the Foundation, it would have been announced so at the time of Harry's wedding. Meghan would not have joined this Foundation. It is clear to me that the driver of the split of the Foundation at this stage is the relationship, and the diverging roles are just the "cover".
I believe you are both wrong and right. First you have to put the Wales family history into its proper place in history. Both William and Harry went off to boarding school at eight where, needless to say they were in different classes, then came different schools followed by career choices.

They saw each other during the holidays and both shared their father's passion for polo. But they didn't share causes. William was joined by Catherine almost from the start. Harry's 'Sentabale' was something totally different and having the staff working as a Foundation while W & H were in the military sort of worked.

However, once the were both full time Royals that was not going to work. Both men are too strong minded to defer to each other just 'because'. Nor would they easily defer to the grey men that had created this prestigious foundation wielding all this power. All they needed was to tell them were to go, smile, make nice, shake hands and fundraise.

Neither W & H would be happy spending their time as cash cows. William has greater things coming and the Duchy of Cornwall will take up a great deal of his time just learning, never mind running it.

Meanwhile Harry isn't prepared to see the Invictus Games and his related charities downplayed because the heir must always take the lead. It wasn't always that way. Charles happily beavered away with the Duchy and half the young women swooned over Randy Andy! No harm no foul and there were plenty of full time Royals.
__________________

__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #423  
Old 05-31-2019, 09:29 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I believe you are both wrong and right.
Love it. Can I reply by suggesting I like half your post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I believe you are both wrong and right. First you have to put the Wales family history into its proper place in history. Both William and Harry went off to boarding school at eight where, needless to say they were in different classes, then came different schools followed by career choices.

They saw each other during the holidays and both shared their father's passion for polo. But they didn't share causes. William was joined by Catherine almost from the start. Harry's 'Sentabale' was something totally different and having the staff working as a Foundation while W & H were in the military sort of worked.

However, once the were both full time Royals that was not going to work. Both men are too strong minded to defer to each other just 'because'. Nor would they easily defer to the grey men that had created this prestigious foundation wielding all this power. All they needed was to tell them were to go, smile, make nice, shake hands and fundraise.

Neither W & H would be happy spending their time as cash cows. William has greater things coming and the Duchy of Cornwall will take up a great deal of his time just learning, never mind running it.

Meanwhile Harry isn't prepared to see the Invictus Games and his related charities downplayed because the heir must always take the lead. It wasn't always that way. Charles happily beavered away with the Duchy and half the young women swooned over Randy Andy! No harm no foul and there were plenty of full time Royals.
I think you raise a number of interesting issues, and I just wanted to address a few points:

> I have never believed the boys were joined at the hip. As I see it, they are quite distinct personalities, slightly different interests, but a lot of common friends, a lot of common interests (shooting, polo, skiing, charity work) and a good understanding of the somewhat strange world they inhabited. I always saw the boys as quite close, though that was always going to evolve with time. Not quite sure what has really happened since, but a lack of willingness to work together is a very telling sign, IMHO.

> Fund raising for their charitable interests will always be a very key part of what they do. They may or may not like it, but that is just the way it is. The Foundation was a good way to bring some synergies to the fund raising efforts, as well as the administrative element of it.

> I completely agree that W&H both have quite different futures ahead of them, and their paths will be different. I can only hope that they can work things out between themselves, as it is a very rarified world they inhabit, and they are probably the two people who understand each other the best, and can be an invaluable support base for the other.

> I don't believe either Invictus or Sentebale were being sidelined, but we don't really know what has been happening within the family.
  #424  
Old 05-31-2019, 10:05 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,775
Something could’ve gone down on the relationship side of things. KP hasn’t handled all of this very well either. It has all left room for the press to unfairly spin this against the newcomer. Sadly, she has had to carry the brunt of the blame on her back.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #425  
Old 05-31-2019, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think you raise a number of interesting issues, and I just wanted to address a few points:

> I have never believed the boys were joined at the hip. As I see it, they are quite distinct personalities, slightly different interests, but a lot of common friends, a lot of common interests (shooting, polo, skiing, charity work) and a good understanding of the somewhat strange world they inhabited. I always saw the boys as quite close, though that was always going to evolve with time. Not quite sure what has really happened since, but a lack of willingness to work together is a very telling sign, IMHO.

> Fund raising for their charitable interests will always be a very key part of what they do. They may or may not like it, but that is just the way it is. The Foundation was a good way to bring some synergies to the fund raising efforts, as well as the administrative element of it.
While William and Harry have similar friends, they seem to have different friends within the same family. I'm sure they are still friendly to others, but it does seem age and life circumstances plays a factor. For example, Harry seems closer to Charlie van Straubenzee while William is closer to Charlie's brother. Same situation with the van Cutsems. There are obviously exceptions like Guy Pelly, but I'm noticing a pattern.

In terms of the Foundation set up, it made sense until their offices split. From a reporting structure, it no longer makes sense. And really, if it's simply a matter of the brothers' relationship, there is not need to split. They never have to see each other while both using the foundation. They have their own projects. Now, with Harry and Meghan being based in BP, it just becomes a mess in terms of coordinating, and frankly unnecessary. The sharing of staff made sense when they were all part time. That's not the case anymore either.

On another note, I also find EA's, or her source's, speculation on the "restrictive" part to be puzzling. Meghan and Harry hasn't done things THAT out there, and being in the direct line to the throne hasn't stopped Prince Charles. I'm not seeing that as conflict to charitable endeavors much at all at this point.
  #426  
Old 05-31-2019, 11:13 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
In terms of the Foundation set up, it made sense until their offices split. From a reporting structure, it no longer makes sense. And really, if it's simply a matter of the brothers' relationship, there is not need to split. They never have to see each other while both using the foundation. They have their own projects. Now, with Harry and Meghan being based in BP, it just becomes a mess in terms of coordinating, and frankly unnecessary. The sharing of staff made sense when they were all part time. That's not the case anymore either.
You don't have to be physically located in the same building to run an effective organisation. Most businesses seem to manage just fine, as does the Royal Household, with multiple locations.

As regards reporting structure, it will be run with a CEO, reporting to the Board. Teh Board will comprise the former Fab 4, and other Non-Execs.
  #427  
Old 05-31-2019, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
You don't have to be physically located in the same building to run an effective organisation. Most businesses seem to manage just fine, as does the Royal Household, with multiple locations.

As regards reporting structure, it will be run with a CEO, reporting to the Board. Teh Board will comprise the former Fab 4, and other Non-Execs.
I'm well aware offices don't have to be in the same location to work well as I work for a MNE. OTOH, The Royal Foundation is not a MNE. It exists to serve as the charitable arm of four royals' work. Work that doesn't seem to overlap that much. And the royals' schedule is at a point where they would need their own staff rather than it be two princes who are in the military or three part time royals. Can it work? Sure. Is it the best way for them to continue forward? I don't think so. Having different staff that work much closer with one household on their own issues and maybe get together for a joint venture if it makes sense is far more of an appropriate approach at this point. Like a lot of companies, at some point, the structure has to be review and changed if necessary as it grows.

Like I said, if this is an issue with personally not getting along, they can go on for years with this structure without having to see each other.
  #428  
Old 05-31-2019, 12:57 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I'm well aware offices don't have to be in the same location to work well as I work for a MNE. OTOH, The Royal Foundation is not a MNE. It exists to serve as the charitable arm of four royals' work. Work that doesn't seem to overlap that much. And the royals' schedule is at a point where they would need their own staff rather than it be two princes who are in the military or three part time royals. Can it work? Sure. Is it the best way for them to continue forward? I don't think so. Having different staff that works on their own issues and maybe get together for a joint venture if it makes sense is far more of an appropriate approach at this point.
Perhaps the point you are missing is that Foundation staff do not necessarily need to overlap with staff that man the offices of the Cambridge (KP) and Sussex (BP) couples respectively. Foundation work will be quite distinct from the work that KP and BP respectively will do.
  #429  
Old 05-31-2019, 01:09 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Perhaps the point you are missing is that Foundation staff do not necessarily need to overlap with staff that man the offices of the Cambridge (KP) and Sussex (BP) couples respectively. Foundation work will be quite distinct from the work that KP and BP respectively will do.
I'm not missing that. However, they do need to work closely with and coordinate with staff at the palaces. Again, it doesn't appear that they are working on too many projects together these days (what did they have other than Heads Together? Even that's such a broad topic that it usually gets broken down to smaller pieces). So I'm not seeing the advantage of having them all together anymore.
  #430  
Old 05-31-2019, 01:25 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
“The Sussexes want the flexibility of more commercial decisions."-Emily Andrews

What does this even mean? I cannot see the Sussexes being able to be "commercial"-they are still much too close to the throne.
HA..one of the posters here (Cepe) has asked her what she meant (over on Twitter) and last time I checked today Emily had not replied.

Frankly I don't give what Emily says a lot of weight.

LaRae
  #431  
Old 05-31-2019, 01:34 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
HA..one of the posters here (Cepe) has asked her what she meant (over on Twitter) and last time I checked today Emily had not replied.

Frankly I don't give what Emily says a lot of weight.

LaRae
Emily clarified in a tweet four hours ago:
"My interpretation for having “commercial flexibility” was that H&M could campaign for causes, raise money, perhaps even donate money. Eg Harry will be paid for his Apple TV wrk & he’ll donate that money to a number of mental heath charities."
  #432  
Old 05-31-2019, 01:43 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,422
Ah yeah I haven't been on since this morning! I'm glad she finally replied!

But I'm not sure she's right in this.


LaRae
  #433  
Old 05-31-2019, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Emily clarified in a tweet four hours ago:
"My interpretation for having “commercial flexibility” was that H&M could campaign for causes, raise money, perhaps even donate money. Eg Harry will be paid for his Apple TV wrk & he’ll donate that money to a number of mental heath charities."
But how is that different than what Prince's Trust does? Prince Charles campaign for causes, raise money, and donate money. And my understanding is that William's salary from when he was working part time was also donated. So I still don't see what "restrictions" she is talking about.
  #434  
Old 05-31-2019, 03:07 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 296
I am not sure what caused that charity work "split", but it correlates to a few events... -or better: events, we were told have happend... which pointed in this direction.

In any case: If this "split" over the royal foundation is true - and it is still a rumour - than the timing seems to be a bit unadvised, since it fuels gibberish gossip like mine here.

And this is not a good thing!
  #435  
Old 05-31-2019, 03:24 PM
Ista's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 2,183
I think an argument could be made for either it's inevitable, totally logical, etc., or that it points to some deeper dysfunction between the brothers and/or wives, and we do not have enough information on either side to say for sure. Time will probably shed some light on that. Edited to add: Or a combination of both those factors, I suppose.

In any event, I personally think it's probably a good thing, since, as others have pointed out, William and Harry's paths are going to grow increasingly disparate, and it makes sense that their causes and charities are also going to diverge.
  #436  
Old 05-31-2019, 04:15 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 3,515
If this is true, I mainly wonder why they didn't decide this a little over a year ago. They already knew that H&M were going to focus on the Commonwealth and William and Catherine are more and more preparing to be the 'second couple'. Nonetheless, they decide to host an even including Meghan as the fourth future patron who would start including activities of her own under this umbrella but that doesn't seem to have happened nor did she actively join existing initiatives.

So, it can't be just that their career paths are going in different directions as they knew that early 2018 already... So, it does raise the question (or might confirm) whether/that there is much more going on.
  #437  
Old 05-31-2019, 04:35 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
If this is true, I mainly wonder why they didn't decide this a little over a year ago. They already knew that H&M were going to focus on the Commonwealth and William and Catherine are more and more preparing to be the 'second couple'. Nonetheless, they decide to host an even including Meghan as the fourth future patron who would start including activities of her own under this umbrella but that doesn't seem to have happened nor did she actively join existing initiatives.

So, it can't be just that their career paths are going in different directions as they knew that early 2018 already... So, it does raise the question (or might confirm) whether/that there is much more going on.
This was exactly the point I made earlier today.
  #438  
Old 05-31-2019, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
If this is true, I mainly wonder why they didn't decide this a little over a year ago. They already knew that H&M were going to focus on the Commonwealth and William and Catherine are more and more preparing to be the 'second couple'. Nonetheless, they decide to host an even including Meghan as the fourth future patron who would start including activities of her own under this umbrella but that doesn't seem to have happened nor did she actively join existing initiatives.

So, it can't be just that their career paths are going in different directions as they knew that early 2018 already... So, it does raise the question (or might confirm) whether/that there is much more going on.
At that time, the Sussexes were still based at KP. One thing with that could be they weren't certain at that point the Sussexes would be based out of BP. As with most places, major changes include adjustments in other areas. As things shifted, other things had to be revisited. However, I agree with you that I don't necessarily buy it's because their responsibilities are different or that there are things Sussexes are doing that Cambridges can't get into at the moment.
  #439  
Old 05-31-2019, 05:12 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 98
The Sun is not exactly the most reliable newspaper in the world - I wouldn't take too much notice of anything it says! But I think it's only natural that the Cambridges should want to do their thing and the Sussexes should want to do theirs - lumping them all together like they're some sort of Enid Blyton gang of four isn't going to work long term. How many people work with their siblings, however well they get on?
  #440  
Old 05-31-2019, 07:13 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Balmoral, United Kingdom
Posts: 489
I am surprised that it is the Cambridges who will be continuing with the foundation and not the Sussexes instead. The Cambridges will probably take over the Prince's Trust soon.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 - JessRulz The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 408 11-12-2019 08:09 PM
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 1: May 2018 - December 2018 JessRulz Current Events Archive 1136 12-04-2018 06:00 PM




Popular Tags
alqasimi aristocracy armenia belgian royal family birthday celebration castles charles of wales chittagong countess of snowdon crown crown prince hussein crown prince hussein's future wife crown princess victoria current events cyprus danish history denmark duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex dutch history felipe vi foundation french revolution genealogy germany head of the house henry v house of bourbon house of glucksburg house of orange-nassau house of saxe-coburg and gotha jumma kiko king philippe letter lithuanian castles marriage mbs meghan markle monaco christening monaco history monarchist monogram naples nelson mandela bay nobel 2019 norwegian royal family official visit palaces potential areas prince harry prince of wales rania of jordan romanov family rumania shakespeare south africa south korea spain spanish history spanish royal state visit sweden swedish royal family swedish royalty tracts united kingdom usa windy city


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:51 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises
×