The Royal Foundation of Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Duke & Duchess of Sussex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the younger royals will find a balance. It is no different than when Queen Elizabeth II had to adapt to change over the decades because society was changing around her. I don't think people are expecting anything drastic. That is not realistic but touching on a modern era with modern views is expected. It wasn't that long ago that the subject of mental health was taboo and look how successful Heads Together has been. I also think they are testing the waters with Meghan speaking a little more freely pre royalty to feel things out especially since it will likely be her focus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several off topic and disruptive posts have been deleted. The discussion regarding Meghan’s future responsibilities has been moved to the Meghan Markle: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities thread.

I'm curious, why Meghan shouldn't have answered the question the way she did?
Why shouldn't Meghan commented after Catherine did?

The main reason is that Catherine is senior in the hierarchy to Meghan and so should have the final word. It is the pecking order in the BRF that should be observed - just as Meghan will always have to give way to Kate whenever they are together.

The adherence to protocol and hierarchy seemed fairly relaxed during this event. For example, at the end of the panel Meghan was prepared to wait for W&K to leave the stage 1st and Harry encouraged her to go ahead and take her seat. I see your point at more formal engagements but this didn't appear to fit that mold.

Omid Mio Scobie shared on Twitter that he's started a new podcast with Emily Andrews entitled On Heir (about royalty news). Their first episode centers on "Fab Four take centre stage" at the RFF.

The podcast can be found on I-Tunes under the News & Politics subject heading.

Last edited:
I agree with those who feel all the over-scrutiny in the media and discussion here regarding Meghan's participation in the RFF on stage discussion is a tempest in a teapot. I am guilty too of having over-analyzed earlier. But then the rush by others to negatively pile on and to heavily criticize Meghan for speaking up with confidence, is unwarranted.

Far from Meghan trying to have the 'last word,' she was only briefly elaborating on what Kate had said, and referencing some of Harry's comments as well. It was the host who had the last word on stage in wrapping-up the discussion.

I counted the actual time each of the Fab Four engaged in conversing on stage. And the laugh is on the media. William opened the conference with a 7 minutes 36 second speech. And overall Prince Williiam spoke during the group session for a total of 5 minutes 47 seconds.

Prince Harry was next at a total of about five minutes for on stage discussion and he gave a brief speech later on that wasn't included in the Youtube videos I've seen.

Duchess Kate spoke during the discussion for a total of 4 minutes 28 seconds, and Kate also later gave a speech on stage.

Meghan contributed to the on stage conversation for a total of only 3 minutes 21 seconds. And Meghan did not give a speech later because she's not yet a full working member of the foundation.

Meghan didn't do anything wrong, nor did she say anything that was inappropriate. She was articulate, knowledgeable, enthusiastic and supportive toward the others, as well as deferential without being meek or passive.

CC 19/3 The Duke of Cambridge, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, this morning received Sir Keith Mills (Chairman).

CC 14/5
The Duke of Cambridge, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, this afternoon received Sir Keith Mills (Chairman).

Via Cepe Smith Twitter

Changes

As I thought, things would be rolling right along with people being right on top of things. It looks now like its simply The Royal Foundation since the marriage of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex has happened.

https://www.royalfoundation.com

As I thought, things would be rolling right along with people being right on top of things. It looks now like its simply The Royal Foundation since the marriage of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex has happened.

Good catch. I’m glad they cropped the name. Kensington Palace twitter added H&M’s new titles and it’s just clunky.

It now says:

The Royal Foundation was legally established by The Princes in September 2009 and became fully operational in 2011, when The Duchess of Cambridge joined as a Principal Patron. The Duchess of Sussex become the fourth Principal Patron following her marriage to Prince Harry in 2018.

Court Circular 4 June

The Duke of Cambridge, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry this morning received Sir Keith Mills (Chairman).

Via Cepe Smith Twitter

When will the name of the foundation be changed? And into what?

When will the name of the foundation be changed? And into what?

I expect the process of change is underway. The Foundation is a legal entity (Charitable Trust etc) and changes take time.

No actual announcement as to the name has been made but the assumption has been The Royal Foundation of D&D Cambridge and D&D Sussex.

Hopefully they will just use The Royal Foundation (jmo)

The web site for the charity is already mentioning the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, not just Harry.
https://www.royalfoundation.com/about-our-foundation/

I think it will simply become the Royal Foundation. Including the titles of the Dukes and Duchesses would make the name too unwieldy. It was clunky even after 2011.

I imagine that it'll just be The Royal Foundation too. If someone was to address an envelope with the Foundation's full title including all four of the dukes and duchesses, there'd be no room for the address underneath. :D

On their website it is just 'The Royal Foundation'. For example, in it's mission it states: "Driven by a desire to make a difference together, The Royal Foundation is the primary philanthropic and charitable vehicle for The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex."

and Meghan is officially one of the 'principals':
"The Royal Foundation was legally established by The Princes in September 2009 and became fully operational in 2011, when The Duchess of Cambridge joined as a Principal Patron. The Duchess of Sussex become the fourth Principal Patron following her marriage to Prince Harry in 2018."

And it looks like 'Early Years' will be the 5th theme (initiated by Catherine) to be added to the four main themes of 'Armed Forces' (primarily Harry), 'Conservation' (primarily William), 'Young People' (primarily Harry & Catherine), and 'Mental Health' (all three). I expect Meghan to add something girls/women related at some point.

Last edited:
:previous: Another initiative that Meghan might consider is something related to immigration and assimilation into the UK as a new resident/citizen. It could highlight the importance of learning the language, customs, laws etc.. of the UK and where such programs are offered to newcomers. I believe that then Princess Maxima was involved in such a program in the NL as she too was an immigrant.?

I don't believe she has done anything in that area so far and it sounds as another very political topic (especially if you talk about 'assimilation') but who knows what she might end up doing (although, as with Máxima, she will be considered as not very knowledgeable about the topic as she has everything sorted out for her and doesn't experience the same hardships that others might - and she doesn't need to learn the language either, at least that was something that Máxima had in common with other newcomers).

100 Women in Finance names The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex as its 2018 UK philanthropic beneficiary, with funds going specifically to their mental health initiatives related to young children

Via 100 Women in Finance Twitter

LONDON – 26 June, 2018 – 100 Women in Finance (100WF), a global, practitioner-driven non-profit organisation that serves more than 15,000 professionals in the finance and alternative investment industries, today announced that it has named The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as the beneficiary of its 2018 UK philanthropic initiatives.

The grant given to The Royal Foundation will focus specifically on the mental health initiatives related to young children, one of which, ‘The Mentally Healthy Schools website’ was recently launched by The Duchess of Cambridge. It is an online resource designed and curated by experts specifically for teachers and educators to support the mental health of young children in schools across the UK.

Read more: 100 Women in Finance Names The Royal Foundation Heads Together Initiative as its 2018 UK Philanthrophic Beneficiary

Last edited:
Court Circular 26th June:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Joint Patrons, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, today attended a Board Meeting, 5 St Mary Abbots Place, London W8.

Very busy, indeed - especially considering they attended a board meeting for the RF before their evening activities.

Court Circular 26th June:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Joint Patrons, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, today attended a Board Meeting, 5 St. Mary Abbots Place, London W8.

Good to see the Duchess being included in official meetings now. :)

Court Circular 3rd July:
The Duke of Sussex, Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, this evening attended the Wheels Down Ball in aid of Heads Together at the London Hilton on Park Lane, 22 Park Lane, London W1.

Former air ambulance pilot Prince William spoke candidly on Tuesday about absorbing the pain and suffering he witnessed on the job.

“I took a lot home without realizing it,” he said at a mental health event in Bristol. “You see [so] many sad things every day that you think life is like that.”

Speaking about his time in the emergency services, he added, “You’re always dealing with despair and sadness and injury. The attrition builds up and you never really have the opportunity to offload anything if you’re not careful.”

The royal dad, 36, opened up as he launched Mental Health at Work, a free U.K.-wide portal for employers and employees that marks another important stride forward in the royals’ ongoing mental health campaign.
Read more: Prince William Shares His Struggle as a First Responder: 'I Took Home a Lot Without Realizing It

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom