The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we are, again! People still, after having made it clear here in the past week, think the RFO is about merits...
Well, I could name you 100 examples from the past 25 years or so that showed this particular order is not about that at all.
Catherine also was said 7 years ago to have boosted the monarchy and "brought increased positive interest to the royals from around the world". And she and William made similar successful Commonwealth trips with the princely couple received enthusiastically by thousends like the one we witness today! But we live in a fast living world and we quickly seem to forget since there comes a new sensation our ways...

So, I don´t think Meghan will receive the RFO any faster unless the Queen feels she should have it before she dies ( well, HM could still be around the next 8 or 10 years! Just think of the Q Mother!). I rather believe, though, that the Queen is not thinking about the RFO, like some of us may do, all the time and just let things happen as they happen and the Dss of Sussex might or might not receive this order of Elizabeth II one day or not. She surely will have the one of King Charles III.!

I don't think anyone is saying about just simply attention they bring to BRF, but also the amount of work the royal takes on. Meghan is moving a lot faster than Kate did.

And like I said earlier, I doubt the Queen will dish out RFOs just because she fears she might not live that much longer. The same thing can be said for someone who is 85. Yet she waited 7 years. Clearly, that's not going into her thinking much.

Not unprecise wording at all.

Meghan wasn’t a Royal at all prior to May. Prior to May - I would say even throughout the summer - there was a lot of speculation about whether or not Meghan would hit the ground running and quickly become a full time working royal, or if she would be eased into it. If you look at what happened with Kate, with Camilla, with Sophie, and certainly with William and Harry, they were all given the opportunity to ease into it at a slower pace. It was expected Meghan would be given a similar opportunity despite her husband himself being full time (this is most comparable to Camilla, who even now does half the engagements her husband does, although many factors contribute to that).

Instead, we’ve seen her fast track into being a full time royal right away. Pre-tour, we saw her sitting at 40 engagements since May, per Bertie’s numbers, which is fairly reasonable given the summer break and her late start (in comparison, Kate was sitting at 57 despite her mat leave, and Harry and William were at 111 and 189, respectively). The tour has almost doubled Meghan’s numbers.

So, you agree that she already IS a full time royal or do you think that she still is on a fast track/path TO BECOMING a full time royal? It seems we are trying to say the same but I am still not completely sure.

(FYI: I think she has been a full time royal from the start of her marriage; and even a full time semi-royal from the engagement)

This thread isn’t about comparing Kate and Meghan. Nor is it about Meghan’s status and whether she is being fast tracked. If you wish to discuss the number of engagements various royals do, please take it to the British Royal Family Engagements thread.

Since we have no indication that RFO’s are given because of workload, let’s steer clear of comparing the engagement count of royals. Thanks.

Last edited:
Maybe the Queen will decide to give Meghan the RFO solely because she passed the acceptance test by the Queen's dogs right off the bat. Dog people tend to stick together. :D

Sorry.... hadda do it. :hiding:

Maybe the Queen will decide to give Meghan the RFO solely because she passed the acceptance test by the Queen's dogs right off the bat. Dog people tend to stick together. :D

Sorry.... hadda do it. :hiding:

The Corgi test! Of course! :lol:

Did Queen Victoria give the Royal Family Order to granddaughters who were not part of the British Royal Family? For example, did she give a Royal Family Order to Princess Charlotte of Prussia?

Did Queen Victoria give the Royal Family Order to granddaughters who were not part of the British Royal Family? For example, did she give a Royal Family Order to Princess Charlotte of Prussia?

Yes, Queen Victoria gave her royal order, specifically the second class, to many of her foreign granddaughters. A few of them are Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna of Russia, Princess Charlotte, The Hereditary Princess of Saxe-Meinigen, Princess Henry of Prussia and Princess Adolphe of Schaumburg-Lippe.

https://books.google.com/books?id=P...louise of baden prussia grand duchess&f=false

All properly decorated with the family order.

Does Lady Sarah Chatto have the RFO,something I have often wondered being the queen's only niece?

I guess the only answer is we don't really know, as we saw with Catherine, we only know any of the royal ladies has a RFO when they are seen wearing it. Catherine got hers last year but we didn't see it as the Diplomatic reception only at the Dutch state visit more recently. It may well be Lady Sarah has it but we've never see her in it just as the Queen may have presented a RFO to other members of her family but we haven't seen them in it.

Does Lady Sarah Chatto have the RFO,something I have often wondered being the queen's only niece?
My gut instinct is that only Royal Highnesses have received the RFO since at least George V's day.

Official Announcement of RVO:

The Queen has been pleased to make the following appointment to the Royal Victorian Order.

To be a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO) - HRH The Duchess of Cambridge.

“The Queen has been pleased to make the following appointment to the Royal Victorian Order:-
To be a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge.
Awards are made personally by The Queen, for services to the Sovereign.”

The announcement comes of the 8th Anniversary of Catherine's marriage.

There is a service for the order this Friday 3rd May, where we should expect to see Catherine.

Last edited:
Congratulations, to Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge! I knew that Order was coming. It’s about time.

What a nice anniversary gift for the Duchess of Cambrige,congratulations upon receiving the Royal Victorian Order.

Congratulations to the Duchess and a very well deserved!!

Very well deserved and certainly not automatic. Diana never received it and Camilla received hers at 7 years and now Catherine after only 8 years.

This is the highest grade, GCVO, one above Harry.

Very well deserved and certainly not automatic. Diana never received it and Camilla received hers at 7 years and now Catherine after only 8 years.

This is the highest grade, GCVO, one above Harry.
As it should be!

Do we think Camilla will soon get the Garter, or will she have to wait for Charles to appoint her?

Good for Kate. After she received the RFO I expected this was coming as well.

As it should be!

Do we think Camilla will soon get the Garter, or will she have to wait for Charles to appoint her?

It's been traditional for the monarch to award the Garter to their consort since Edward VII gave it to Queen Alexandra. The one exception was Prince Philip: he got it from King George VI before his wedding but one day after the king gave it to Princess Elizabeth, so that she would remain senior to him.

So tradition holds that once Charles is king, he'll give it to Camilla.

As it should be!

I think it would be fitting for The Queen to award it to her, despite tradition (thank you Thena for the reminder of protocol). It would be another (& strong) signal of HM's approval for Camilla's future as Queen consort, which is still not a popular notion in the UK (according to all surveys).

Kensington Palace has not officially commented on the Duchess's GCVO but a source tells me: ‘Her Royal Highness is honoured and looks forward to continuing her work in support of the Queen.’

Via Rebecca English Twitter

This is huge. It is symbolic of The Queen’s profound admiration, encouragement and affirmation of The Duchess of Cambridge and all she has achieved since marrying into the Royal Family

Via Alastair Bruce Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
That's lovely! I was wondering when this would come Catherine's way, and the timing is impeccable.

What a nice suprise. So deserved as Catherine clearly upgraded her game lately.
Work and impeccable behaviour are always the key to recognition.
Well done M'am.

I think it would be fitting for The Queen to award it to her, despite tradition (thank you Thena for the reminder of protocol). It would be another (& strong) signal of HM's approval for Camilla's future as Queen consort, which is still not a popular notion in the UK (according to all surveys).

Perhaps she doesn't want to give the Garter to Camilla so Charles himself can give it to his wife.

The Queen appointed The Duchess of Cambridge to be a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, an order of chivalry established in 1896 by Queen Victoria to recognise personal service to the monarch. This example of a Small Star from the Order’s insignia was King George V’s

Via The Royal Collection Trust Twitter

I think the service for the Order is on May 3rd. I wish we could see Catherine, The Queen, and the other Dame Grand Crosses in their mantles.

After ONLY eight years? I feel that Queen Elizabeth II is far too mean with these family orders. What is the Queen trying to prove? Also, is this Order linked to Princess Diana's jewellery not really being seen in public?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom