The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you really did not care about it, ypu would not enter into this debate with enthusiasm every time Kate wears a tiara!

I guess I’m the only one that see that’s something isn’t kosher here. It shouldn’t take 60 years for this child to receive her family order. I know that s a fact.

The girl is being put in the same category as Sarah, Duchess of York and Princess Michael of Kent when it comes to the family order. That’s simply not right.

Last edited:
I think everyone just needs to come to their own conclusions about it...it's not worth arguing about.

LaRae

I guess I’m the only one that see that’s something isn’t kosher here.
Would you like to write the HM and tell her that "something isn't Kosher here ?"

The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations

The Queen waited to give Prince Philip the Victorian Order after 70 years. I guess he had to prove he was fully committed to royal service to get it. Funny how Camilla and other members of the family proved their commitment earlier than he did.

Im not sure you understand how the honours system works. The Duke of Edinburgh has had the Royal Victorian Order for years. The Queen simply elevated him to the highest class within the order to mark their wedding anniversary. The other members of the Royal Family who have the Royal Victorian Order are of different ranks within the order.

The Royal Victorian Order is given as an award for services to the Crown. The RFO is not an award as such. It isn’t about the personal relationship to the Queen or to denote seniority within the family. It’s recognition of two years service. Which Kate hasn’t completed yet. Honestly, I don’t quite get why this is such an issue or so controversial.

Would you like to write the HM and tell her that "something isn't Kosher here ?"

I would but she’s an old Windsor. Old Windsor’s can be tricky.

Im not sure you understand how the honours system works. The Duke of Edinburgh has had the Royal Victorian Order for years. The Queen simply elevated him to the highest class within the order to mark their wedding anniversary. The other members of the Royal Family who have the Royal Victorian Order are of different ranks within the order.

The Royal Victorian Order is given as an award for services to the Crown. The RFO is not an award as such. It isn’t about the personal relationship to the Queen or to denote seniority within the family. It’s recognition of two years service. Which Kate hasn’t completed yet. Honestly, I don’t quite get why this is such an issue or so controversial.

The Duke of Edinburgh was never a member of the Royal Victorian Order until now.

Last edited:
I would just like to be a fly on the wall to watch her reaction. A citizen from a country she is not a monarch of telling, c 66 years into her job, that she is not doing an elemrmt of her jobproperly.

The Duke of Edinburgh was never a member of the Royal Victorian Order until now.

My mistake, he was given the Royal Victorian Chain in 2007. But so what if he’s only just been made a member? Do you think the Queen giving honours shows that she likes one member of the family more than others? Is that the issue?

I would just like to be a fly on the wall to watch her reaction. A citizen from a country she is not a monarch of telling, c 66 years into her job, that she is not doing an elemrmt of her jobproperly.

At least Im an American that recognize that a senior member of the family should at least have the family order after seven years. 20 Years can easily pass and people will still be saying that Catherine hasn’t been fully committed to royal service to receive the family order.

I can assure you people aren’t saying that. In the same way her receiving the RFO won’t be the topic of dinner table conversation throughout the country when and if she does get it.

At least Im an American that recognize that a senior member of the family should at least have the family order after seven years. 20 Years can easily pass and people will still be saying that Catherine hasn’t been fully committed to royal service to receive the family order.
Not doubting your commitment the cause of Catherine's RFO. [emoji1]

she likes one member of the family more than others? Is that the issue?

That CANNOT be the case, since the DoCamb has WIDE access to the Vault, yet the Countess of Wessex, who has a real bond with HMQ, has had only measly access...

The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations

Exactly my thoughts wyevale. I don’t know why the RFO has become invested with so much sentiment as if it means the Queen approves of someone as an individual. And if they don’t have it, she clearly doesn’t approve. I just don’t see how that works when it’s so clear how HM decides who does and who doesn’t get it.

Receiving the GCVO was extra special for Philip. On their 70th wedding anniversary, 20 November 2017, the Queen appointed him Knight Grand Cross (GCVO) of the Royal Victorian Order, making him the first person since his late uncle, the first Earl Mountbatten of Burma, to be entitled to wear the breast stars of four orders of chivalry in the United Kingdom. No one else living can say they wear four breast stars of four different chivalry orders of the UK. I can see how HM made this personal milestone an extra special one. She has her head on right in my book. :D

Then again, Philip himself is a god and not many of the BRF can say that. The inhabitants of some villages on the island of Tanna, Vanuatu also worship Prince Philip as a god; the islanders possess portraits of the Duke and hold feasts on his birthday.

Why isn’t Kate a God in Vanuatu?! She’s a senior member of the Royal Family. The Queen must hate her. [emoji6]

Not doubting your commitment the cause of Catherine's RFO. [emoji1]

I just think it’s a downright shame that Catherine is attending State Visits and the Diplomatic Corps Reception without at least the family order after all this time.

If she was just sitting at home eating bon bons and not doing anything in service of The Queen and Country for seven years, I would say that girl don’t deserve jack.

That’s not the case here.

Well.... I suppose what you could do is whip up a specially made Order of Dman for her to wear. At least she'd know someone appreciates her across the pond. Just don't make it out of ivory. ;)

But seriously, I don't think Kate is losing any sleep at all over this. There's more important things on her mind like making sure the pictures of George in his sheep costume came out good. :D

This discussion is really going round and round and round like a malfunctioning CD-Player :-D

I don't think Kate has any issues to sleep during the nights because of this question, as some people here seems to have :-D

We are used to this here. Happens pretty much every time a state banquet or gala happens, thanks to Dman's tireless crusade in championing for an RFO for the Duchess of Cambridge..

Eventually it will pay off too. Can't fault a man for sticking to his convictions and standing up for what he believes in. Those are honorable traits in my book. :flowers:

It would be nice to see the old and grey Dowager Queen Catherine walking to a State Banquet with the RFO's of Elizabeth II, Charles III, William V and George VII !

Princess Alexandra is a senior working royal. She’s been pushed down by The Queen’s children and grandchildren, but she’s a senior royal.

She was first seen wearing it at the Coronation at the age of 15 and the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret wore their grandfather's one as children. Diana received her's almost right away whilst Charles' second wife waited a few years for her's. History shows that Monarchs can bestow this order whenever they feel like it and to whomever they choose. It's only some posters here who have attached the 'full time royal' reason to it, this has never been an officially stated criteria.

Last edited:
I didn’t suggest that it was an official rule, simply that by convention that seems to be the criteria Her Majesty now applies.

I didn’t suggest that it was an official rule, simply that by convention that seems to be the criteria Her Majesty now applies.

The family order isn’t given due to one being a full time royal about two years. That’s why I know Catherine should already had the family order. In the back of my head; I think this is all due to William issue with ivory.

Then we’ll agree to disagree and wait until the Duchess gets it when I’m sure the nation will heave a huge sigh of relief.

Then we’ll agree to disagree and wait until the Duchess gets it when I’m sure the nation will heave a huge sigh of relief.

It’s okay for us to agree to disagree. That’s great, but I just feel like people have turned the issue on Catherine -not having the family order- because everything she has done since 2011 is simply not enough. That’s simply not fair or true.

It’s not about a “sigh of relief” at the end of the day. It’s about officially recognizing that Catherine is part of the working family Firm. Catherine’s lack of family order really stuck out in the photo that was released last December. Everyone was properly dressed in order regalia, except for Catherine, after six years. Crazy!

Last edited:
Please don’t misunderstand me, my intention isn’t to prove that the Duchess isn’t pulling her weight or that she hasn’t made a significant effort yet to contribute. She’s been a great addition to the Royal Family and you’d never catch me saying (or even insinuating) otherwise. [emoji4]

It's a Royal Family Order after all wich the monarch can award to whomever and whenever it pleases her/him and for whatever reason. It's not something that anyone can "demand to have a right to".

If Kate suddenly turns up, wearing a Royal Family Order, what's the next step ? Demand that QEII must make her a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, just because Camilla and Sophie has it ? Or that she must be made a Lady of the Garter just because William has it ?

I shouldn't say loud what i think of this endless discussion and i will leave it now...

I am not a fan of royals receiving honours simply because they have become royals. I find the Scandinavian royal habits particularly ridiculous as they bestow orders even prior to weddings when surely there should be a period of 'work' done before receiving such an accolade. Some royal families though do wait a bit if time. Charlene Wittstock married her Prince the same year that Kate married William and received the senior Monaco order16 months after the wedding. It was still a bit soon IMO but in comparison to Princess Grace who got her's straight away at least she, kind of, earned it. The British RFO has no tradition of being 'earned' but if this is indeed the road the present Monarch wishes to go down (and there's no proof that it is) then after almost 7 years of marriage, numerous engagements and foreign tours Catherine should surely have it by now.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but your basis for this convention is the years in which Sophie and Camilla received their orders, isn't it? Or has this ever been confirmed?

Diana got hers in the year she married as did the duchess of Kent. The duchess of Gloucester (who was only princess Richard at that point) got it the year after they married; and princess Anne at 19 years of age. So, none of them had been fulltime royals for 2 years at that point.

Sorry for joining the discussion so late, just wanted to make sure that I understand the evidence that the claim is based on.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but your basis for this convention is the years in which Sophie and Camilla received their orders, isn't it? Or has this ever been confirmed?

Diana got hers in the year she married as did the duchess of Kent. The duchess of Gloucester (who was only princess Richard at that point) got it the year after they married; and princess Anne at 19 years of age. So, none of them had been fulltime royals for 2 years at that point.

Sorry for joining the discussion so late, just wanted to make sure that I understand the evidence that the claim is based on.

That's really interesting that Princess Richard got her's a year after her marriage. At that point she had no prospect of being a working member of the Firm as her brother in law was the senior member of the family. It makes Princess Michael not getting it seem an even more slap in the face to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom